PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Rhys!  Least they won tonight.  Couldn't find it on tv though, what station was it on?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Was on Philly +
    All games are free the first weekend on Shitcast.  Located where the sports packages live.

Orange weight clown just double switched and removed Hoskins when behind.  Genius.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Holy shit
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2018
    well that sucked ass! Blow a 5 run lead.  Shouldn't have pulled Nola that early IMO.  :angry:

It was insane. He was dealing through 5. In the sixth, he gave up a hit, got a flyout. AND WAS PULLED? What the fuck?
    Taking Hoskins out was a little curious too...
    Not gonna walk back my criticism of the arrieta signing completely because I still think it’s fairly pointless, but the Santana signing is truly perplexing. I don’t understand why they’re fucking with Hoskins so much.

Meh. I know they just moved him to first and took Joseph out for defensive switches last year and they can't do that now. But I don't think he's been terrible in left thus far. Feel like he's been better than I anticipated and the position change obviously has not hurt him at the plate at all. Should've just kept him there.

The team has an embarrassment of riches in the outfield. That's not a bad thing and will be even better when/if it helps them bring in a pitcher in July if needed. I think yesterday was just an example of rookie manager over-managing.

Be that as it may, the manager took the best hitting prospect on the team out of the game for defensive reasons, because his natural position is blocked by someone who won't be around when the Phils win.  One game yes, but it's just pointless to block him from his natural position. Stick him at first and let him mash. Boom.

I like Santana too.  I said I think there's a decent chance if he's healthy in the playoffs last year, they beat the Yanks.  I just don't think he's important enough at this point in where the Phillies are to warrant a position change.  If they were one piece from winning, sure, maybe.

I loathe Gabe Kapler but I liked the hire in general.  Yesterday seemed to be really bad and obviously a horrible start, but give him time.  Lotta people in the game like him.
    I agree with cliff 100%.  This franchise is an unmitigated disaster.  The Santana signing was dumb.  The Arrieta signing was dumb and the contract is hilarious (reminiscent of another awful contract for $25 million per year).  Signing Kingery was fine, but it's hilarious that they refuse to play him at his natural position (same thing with Hoskins).  Odubel Herrera sucks.  Nick Williams really sucks.  Alfaro stinks.  Franco is a AAAA player.  They have no pitching because they can't develop anyone -- hamels is the only good pitcher they've developed in approximately 30 years.  

I don't understand why the infield isn't set with hoskins at first, kingery at second, crawford at short.  Leave them alone and let them play every day.  It shouldn't be difficult since it's blatantly obvious.  Play Hernandez at third or make him the super utility guy -- kingery is already a better player at second base.

I believe this team is going to finish fourth in the shitty NL East and lose 88 games (I think atlanta is the team from this division that could make a wild card run).  Same old shitty Phillies until they bring in management with a clue...ie, get rid of Andy MacPhail, who's responsible for the terrible hamels trade and all of the recent offseason moves that make no sense (like the tommy hunter signing -- wait until you guys get to watch his fat ass pitch every day or two)

taking moniak over senzel.  taking haseley over hiura.  so damn stupid

also, how many times do they need to see valasquez prove he cannot start games before they finally move him to the bullpen?  they never learned with mark appel so I'm not holding my breath.  God this franchise is the worst
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    well that sucked ass! Blow a 5 run lead.  Shouldn't have pulled Nola that early IMO.  :angry:

It was insane. He was dealing through 5. In the sixth, he gave up a hit, got a flyout. AND WAS PULLED? What the fuck?
    Taking Hoskins out was a little curious too...
    Not gonna walk back my criticism of the arrieta signing completely because I still think it’s fairly pointless, but the Santana signing is truly perplexing. I don’t understand why they’re fucking with Hoskins so much.

Meh. I know they just moved him to first and took Joseph out for defensive switches last year and they can't do that now. But I don't think he's been terrible in left thus far. Feel like he's been better than I anticipated and the position change obviously has not hurt him at the plate at all. Should've just kept him there.

The team has an embarrassment of riches in the outfield. That's not a bad thing and will be even better when/if it helps them bring in a pitcher in July if needed. I think yesterday was just an example of rookie manager over-managing.

Be that as it may, the manager took the best hitting prospect on the team out of the game for defensive reasons, because his natural position is blocked by someone who won't be around when the Phils win.  One game yes, but it's just pointless to block him from his natural position. Stick him at first and let him mash. Boom.

I like Santana too.  I said I think there's a decent chance if he's healthy in the playoffs last year, they beat the Yanks.  I just don't think he's important enough at this point in where the Phillies are to warrant a position change.  If they were one piece from winning, sure, maybe.

I loathe Gabe Kapler but I liked the hire in general.  Yesterday seemed to be really bad and obviously a horrible start, but give him time.  Lotta people in the game like him.

Obviously the crux of our disagreement is when we think the Phils might be able to win. No sense in getting into all that again.

But if he's not hurting you in left, and he's still mashing at the plate, which he is,---just leave him the hell in there.

Winning and potentially competing for a wild card are two different things.  I like the future, I have said that numerous times, so I'm not hating.

He is hurting you in left when the manager takes him out for defensive reasons.

You and I disagree on the timeline, not the definition of winning. I think they can compete for a wildcard this year and potentially compete for the division as early as next year if the right things fall into place. Santana's here for 3 years, so....yeah he could be here when they win again.

And I disagree with the manager's move....so I don't agree with that premise.

nice, this guys' hot baseball takes return!!  I missed them over the last few years -- good to have some unintentional comedy back
    since I'm on a roll, the new PJ song reminds me of nickleback.  first tour I won't be seeing any shows in over ten years.  Rather spend my money to see bands that don't make dad rock
    feels weird not to have a Phillies game on a Sunday.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    feels weird not to have a Phillies game on a Sunday.
    It's a disgrace not to have baseball on a Sunday. What the fuck is this league doing? Although a day off from Kapler isn't a bad thing right now. I think it was Friday night before they tied the game. Atlanta's batter swung at a pitch that got by the catcher. The umpire called it a ball. It was so obvious that he swung but the Phillies assumed the count was 0-1 but it was actually 1-0. They threw a pitch before they noticed they had the count wrong so they couldn't challenge. Then the Braves tied the game. I'll ask a stupid question like, how does everyone in the dugout not notice this? But, seems like their M.O. to start the season. 
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    No Sunday baseball is fucking weird, agreed. There's also no baseball on Friday this week....at least for the Phillies. 

Scott Kingery is a joy to watch. Horrible first weekend, but at least we get to see guys like him and Hoskins and the other young bucks play every day. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    No Sunday baseball is fucking weird, agreed. There's also no baseball on Friday this week....at least for the Phillies. 

Scott Kingery is a joy to watch. Horrible first weekend, but at least we get to see guys like him and Hoskins and the other young bucks play every day. 
    Hoskins pulled twice in 2 games is probably something that shouldn't happen.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    edited April 2018
    What do you guys do for Easter? I LOATHE Easter with my in laws. Don't get me wrong. They're fine people. I love them but.....man, holidays are marathons. Used to just be a dinner at my parents house. Like a couple hours over there, maybe three and boom--you're out.

Now, we go to her parents for breakfast, which lasts about two and a half hours. Then a couple hours later we go to her aunt's for dinner from 2 to 6. Four fucking hours. Some years it's longer. It's fucking Easter. None of us are overly religious either. And there are no tv's anywhere so you can't zone out in front of a Sixers game or watch some golf or something. You gotta converse with the same people for seven hours.

Easter blows. And now there's snow on the ground. Come on Spring!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    What do you guys do for Easter? I LOATHE Easter with my in laws. Don't get me wrong. They're fine people. I love them but.....man, holidays are marathons. Used to just be a dinner at my parents house. Like a couple hours over there, maybe three and boom--you're out.

Now, we go to her parents for breakfast, which lasts about two and a half hours. Then a couple hours later we go to her aunt's for dinner from 2 to 6. Four fucking hours. Some years it's longer. It's fucking Easter. None of us are overly religious either. And there are no tv's anywhere so you can't zone out in front of a Sixers game or watch some golf or something. You gotta converse with the same people for seven hours.

Easter blows. And now there's snow on the ground. Come on Spring!
    I do the in-laws but it's pretty laid back.  Spent Saturday night there this weekend with the baby and all.  Would have been too much back and forth.  Made the gravy and all Saturday night, put back a ton of booze and passed out to make breakfast and eat my body weight in gravy, ham, salads, etc.  Sat outside a good bit yesterday, watched sports. Was there a little too late but that was bound to happen.  Was a good day but yeah, that sounds rough.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Easter is the worst of the "legit" holidays, which isn't really a legit holiday. It's dumb.

I have to deal with my Jesus Freak in-laws and eat bad food. I do it to appease my wife.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Easter is dumb. The only Easter in the past 20 years that I thought was cool was when Phil Mickelson won his first Masters.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Easter is dumb. The only Easter in the past 20 years that I thought was cool was when Phil Mickelson won his first Masters.

If Easter was next Sunday and there was no television to watch the Masters...your Juggler would stage a walk out.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Easter is just another average Sunday, for me.
    Phills/Mets game postponed cause of snow
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Eagles Super Bowl Champs- Check
    Villanova NCAA Champs- Check
    Sixers NBA Champs- ?
    Flyers Stanley Cup Champs- ?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

city of champions
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Was this not on tv tonight?
    i couldn't find it on any of the channels that i had.  couldn't find the flyers game also.  i have playstation vue though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    i couldn't find it on any of the channels that i had.  couldn't find the flyers game also.  i have playstation vue though.
    well that sucks apparently it was streamed only online through nbc sports philadelphia :angry:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    well that sucks apparently it was streamed only online through nbc sports philadelphia :angry:
    I heard on the radio that the game was also streamed on Fakebook. Mets fans were not happy, and i don't blame them. Apparently ther's going to be some MLB games streamed via Fakebook this year.
    Obviously I couldn't watch it last night but apparently we had a shift on and couldn't get a double play because no on was at 2nd on a ground ball. That's the inning the Mess wound up scoring 2. so 2 out of 4 games we had runners advance then eventually score because of bases not being covered on a shift.

I believe the game today is on Facebook. That will be 4 days without a major league baseball team being on tv.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:
    Obviously I couldn't watch it last night but apparently we had a shift on and couldn't get a double play because no on was at 2nd on a ground ball. That's the inning the Mess wound up scoring 2. so 2 out of 4 games we had runners advance then eventually score because of bases not being covered on a shift.

I believe the game today is on Facebook. That will be 4 days without a major league baseball team being on tv.
    I can't remember a time when there were 2 straight games not on broadcast tv. streaming on nbc sports phily i don't mind too much but today's game on Facebook only is kinda of crazy. oh well probably too early for baseball anyway.

Yeah this is pretty stupid but easy to watch at work.

How was Rhys not out of the base path there? I'll take it though...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

Yeah this is pretty stupid but easy to watch at work.

How was Rhys not out of the base path there? I'll take it though...

Was thinking the same thing, BUT it's kinda subjective and would be dumb to go to replay.

Also, there were two outs right? Why the hell are they worrying about the runner going home? Just tag Hoskins.
    Forcing Syndergaard to throw a ton of pitches so far
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    what is the earliest in a season a first year manager ever got fired?  just asking for possible future reference.
    Another defensive positioning error leads to the go ahead runs. They could at least hit. Averaging over 10 strikeouts a game.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer