PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited March 2018
    Rebuild is over once you sign two of the top-5 free agents on the market. As a fan, for me, expectations have changed. The last few years - since ~'14 I'd say - they've gotten a huge pass, especially once Klentak was hired, but once you do stuff like this you better not be winning 70 games. Finally the fire is at their feet and I'm good with that.

I think once I saw Middleton in Lurie's booth acting like a lunatic during the NFC Championship I figured something would be happening beyond Santana this offseason.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Rebuild is over once you sign two of the top-5 free agents on the market. As a fan, for me, expectations have changed. The last few years - since ~'14 I'd say - they've gotten a huge pass, especially once Klentak was hired, but once you do stuff like this you better not be winning 70 games. Finally the fire is at their feet and I'm good with that.

I think once I saw Middleton in Lurie's booth acting like a lunatic during the NFC Championship I figured something would be happening beyond Santana this offseason.
    Hang the banner. Order the rings

Hang the banner. Order the rings
    I find the difference in what I hear in my head and what you hear in your head when anything regarding this signing is posted very humorous.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Listening to WMMR and they just played the new PJ song. Now they're saying it has the same beat as Kokomo, haha.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I just want to know when they're gonna get weird again and make something....different. I'd say their last three albums have been pretty much the same. I need a Riot Act/Binaural/No Code.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited March 2018
    If that was the first single off an album, I’d be incredibly disappointed. As a random song, it’s okay. Way better than Ole at least. 

Yeah, JP I agree. I think there’s still one great album left in them somewhere. They just need to find it. Certainly a ton of material to work with what the world looks like now. They need to go lock themselves in a cabin the woods for 6 months and see what comes if it.....sadly that kind of thing probably won’t happen with having kids and stuff now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2018
    I'm not looking for great, just different. And if they kept making something weird every few years I'd be cool with that. Take a page from their boy Neil and try it. Can't be worse than what they're doing now.

The lyrics get to the point, which I'm cool with, but more to dislike than like with this song. At least Bushleaguer felt angry.

And to your point of locking themselves in a cabin - I feel you. Limit an album to ten songs every 5 years? You'd think they could get something better....

But, yeah, you lose a lot of hate and drive - or being driven by being pissed off - when you have kids and you can't deny that you want to give them hope/a better life. Otherwise, what fucking reason are you having kids?
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    edited March 2018
    The other problem is I think they still struggle with remaining relevant to the mainstream. I remember on the LB tour in Philly Ed talking about how cool it was, after 20 years or whatever, to have that album be number 1. Nobody really gives a shit about that stuff now. Like I think they might be afraid of releasing a weird sounding album and having not many people, other than diehards, listen to it. 

We've heard weird/cool sounding songs/instrumentals get leaked over the last decade but that sound wasn't really heard on their actual albums. It's there lurking beneath the surface! Explore the studio space god damnit.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Also, and I know this strikes a nerve with people----but fucking Matt Cameron. He's behind the punk sounding PJ of the 2000's. I get that he's a great drummer, but I also think he's part of what's holding them back from Jack Irons era weirdness. Yeah Binaural and Riot Act were fine albums but I think his presence was felt more after them. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The other problem is I think they still struggle with remaining relevant to the mainstream. I remember on the LB tour in Philly Ed talking about how cool it was, after 20 years or whatever, to have that album be number 1. Nobody really gives a shit about that stuff now. Like I think they might be afraid of releasing a weird sounding album and having not many people, other than diehards, listen to it. 
    Yeah, I guess, to a point - if I got anything out of that it was that they were appreciative to those buying the music, and they'd be dicks if they didn't acknowledge that. I don't know if they ever made music and we're like "oh, we gotta make this have more pop." Maybe Stone when it comes to the rhythm of a song, and I'm not going to deny they like cashing paychecks. I'm sure I'm wrong though.

But with that said - bathroom songs/skippable tracks of theirs off the top of my head: Sirens; Unthought Known; Ole'. Not many at all for me, but Avocado was the last album in this style of the last three that I'd say is bearable from beginning to end.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    PJ has been petering out since 2006.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Agreed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Unpopular opinion, but I enjoy Unthought Known.  I find it to be a fun song.

There are a handful of songs on the last 2 albums that I like including only 1 or 2 on Lightening Bolt.  Not terribly interested in new stuff at this point.

edited March 2018
    I'm not saying they're garbage albums, and I like more than I don't on these albums, but overall....what I'm saying is they gotta do a folk/dance/hip hop/country album to really hook me back, ya know?
    ALSO - this is unrelated, but TOTALLY Philly-related. This is an upstart group myself and some neighbors helped form (I declined an interview because I have a propensity to put my foot directly in my mouth)......and this is just fucking awesome:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news/low-turnout-not-for-upstart-democratic-candidates-in-these-philadelphia/article_de3b7b08-260c-11e8-813f-fb8fa0194273.html
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Good for you -- people should be more a part of things they want to change.

(Says the guy who has not read/watched nor sought out any US/World news since DUMP was sworn in.  I do know some items but only because I read of them as reading about Sports/Entertainment or because my wife wants to start a riot.  It was all making me sick and I decided to fucking be done with it.  Started as a '30 Day Negativity Cleanse' and turned into however long it has been that DUMP has been working to make our country great again.)

Also -- speaking of Cliffy's unpopular opinion....I liked Backspacer and LB a lot.  I am not a guy that puts Riot Act and Binaural above other albums -- I love them, as I do all Pearl Jam records after time, but I prefer more rock than experimentation for the most part.  I am a heavy metal freak leftover from the 80s.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Thanks, man - it's given me an outlet that's productive instead of just driving myself mad.

I go Yield > No Code > Vitalogy > Binaural > Vs. > Ten > Riot Act >Avocado > Backspacer > Lightning Bolt in order of greatness to me.

And that's not to say I hate Lightning Bolt, but Sirens really drags that shit down. Again, I love my good ol' rock and roll but for this band to stay the course for three - possibly four - straight albums would be a disappointment.

Good stuff there JP.

Here's the definitive rankings btw:

1 Yield

2 No Code

3 Vitalogy

4 Ten

5  VS

6 Binaural

7 Riot Act

8 Avocado

9 Lightning Bolt

10 Backspacer

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The First 5 stand apart for me.  Everything else is just....great PJ music.  The First 5 are the greatest 5 albums by any band ever, head to head, in my personal taste.  Totally get that most think I should go Led Zep or Beatles or whomever -- but it is my list and most can suck a dick and start their own lists.  ;)

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    JK_Livin said:
    Listening to WMMR and they just played the new PJ song. Now they're saying it has the same beat as Kokomo, haha.
    heard that as well.  Me personally i like it, not their best but good to finally hear something new in about 5 years or so.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I’ve said it a zillion times....like most of my opinions :lol: .......but if the last two albums had been the first two, there never would have been a third.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I’ve said it a zillion times....like most of my opinions :lol: .......but if the last two albums had been the first two, there never would have been a third.

You can probably say that for about 99% of bands that have ever existed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes, a zillion times, like most of your opinions!
    Wobbie said:

99% is high, but you have a point.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Uh uh....so this is from a new album?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

See: Blossoms, Gin
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

You disrespect the Gin Blossoms? I am going to kindly ask you to leave this thread...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

You disrespect the Gin Blossoms? I am going to kindly ask you to leave this thread...
    (Farts)

K, bye!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Gin Blossoms = (farts)
    Nothing the Gin Blossoms put out holds a candle to any Pearl Jam records. 
    Gin Blossoms = (farts)
    Nothing the Gin Blossoms put out holds a candle to any Pearl Jam records. 
    Gin Blossoms = GOAT
    chinese-happy.jpg