Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJinIL said:
    The whole argument about it being the woman's body is skewed to me. I don't have facts or articles to point to, but I'd believe the majority of decisions made about having an abortion are more about the lifestyle changes and obligations that come with parenthood, not the actual decision of whether the woman is worried about her physical being. So it becomes a decision of "do I want a baby or not?" That is a very different discussion than "do I fear for my life and birthing complications enough to abort?"

Think of it this way, if a woman who finds herself pregnant could have the embryo/fetus/etc taken out to be developed to term in another environment, would she still want the baby? If she doesn't want the baby either way, I think that's a barometer for telling the woman she doesn't qualify for an abortion, it's totally elective and a selfish decision that does affect other people's lives. Thus, I believe in some injection (get it?) of father's rights in elective decisions. I do NOT believe a father should have authority to make the mother have an abortion.

Not to say the decision isn't torturous, I thought my girlfriend in HS got pregnant and we were scared out of our minds when she was 3-4 days late. Over the next couple of days, neither of us could say it was right to think about having an abortion. Turns out, she got her period about 2 hours after we made the decision to keep it, much to our delight. Never been so happy to have a girlfriend with a period in my life!

this is why most agree it should be legal, safe, and RARE. I don't think anyone is positing that some women abort out of fear of the possibility of complications. is that what you are saying?
    How do you keep it "rare"?
    Other than an honor code that is impossible to enforce, I don't see any way to ensure that it is rare.
    Like you said, most who are pro-choice agree it should be "legal, safe and rare," I would also argue that most who are pro-life would not only be comfortable with, but insist on exceptions exist for medical and a few other reasons. 
    it's unenforcable, obviously. just stating my position that it should be available, but not abused. i was friends with a girl who used it as birth control, seriously. 5 abortions by the age of 23. that sickened me. 

I am happy to see the last 2 responses against using it for birth control.
    At least for me, my perception is that many are completely okay with abortion as birth control. Maybe my perspective was completely off, but it doesn't help when those who are very outspoken about their stance seem to be proud of their abortions.
    That interview with that girl from Goonies made me sick like you described, essentially cheering the fact that she had abortions at a young age and how great it was.
    I consider myself pro-life, but really only have issues with abortions used for birth control.
    I don't know about that interview, but I also haven't seen anyone who is "proud" of their abortions or use it as birth control. many use the stance of "none of your business" if you ask what their reasons are, but I highly doubt that even a small minority use it like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJinIL said:
    The whole argument about it being the woman's body is skewed to me. I don't have facts or articles to point to, but I'd believe the majority of decisions made about having an abortion are more about the lifestyle changes and obligations that come with parenthood, not the actual decision of whether the woman is worried about her physical being. So it becomes a decision of "do I want a baby or not?" That is a very different discussion than "do I fear for my life and birthing complications enough to abort?"

Think of it this way, if a woman who finds herself pregnant could have the embryo/fetus/etc taken out to be developed to term in another environment, would she still want the baby? If she doesn't want the baby either way, I think that's a barometer for telling the woman she doesn't qualify for an abortion, it's totally elective and a selfish decision that does affect other people's lives. Thus, I believe in some injection (get it?) of father's rights in elective decisions. I do NOT believe a father should have authority to make the mother have an abortion.

Not to say the decision isn't torturous, I thought my girlfriend in HS got pregnant and we were scared out of our minds when she was 3-4 days late. Over the next couple of days, neither of us could say it was right to think about having an abortion. Turns out, she got her period about 2 hours after we made the decision to keep it, much to our delight. Never been so happy to have a girlfriend with a period in my life!

this is why most agree it should be legal, safe, and RARE. I don't think anyone is positing that some women abort out of fear of the possibility of complications. is that what you are saying?
    Other than an honor code that is impossible to enforce, I don't see any way to ensure that it is rare.
    Like you said, most who are pro-choice agree it should be "legal, safe and rare," I would also argue that most who are pro-life would not only be comfortable with, but insist on exceptions exist for medical and a few other reasons. 
    it's unenforcable, obviously. just stating my position that it should be available, but not abused. i was friends with a girl who used it as birth control, seriously. 5 abortions by the age of 23. that sickened me. 

At least for me, my perception is that many are completely okay with abortion as birth control. Maybe my perspective was completely off, but it doesn't help when those who are very outspoken about their stance seem to be proud of their abortions.
    That interview with that girl from Goonies made me sick like you described, essentially cheering the fact that she had abortions at a young age and how great it was.
    I consider myself pro-life, but really only have issues with abortions used for birth control.
    I don't know about that interview, but I also haven't seen anyone who is "proud" of their abortions or use it as birth control. many use the stance of "none of your business" if you ask what their reasons are, but I highly doubt that even a small minority use it like that. 
    I think that would be an interesting stat. Probably hard to determine an accurate number due to the personal nature, and the typical response of "none of your business."
    I have never once asked a women if she's had an abortion or the reason behind it, but the ones that freely talk about it usually seem to be for birth control. So that can easily skew my viewpoint. It may just be the ones who get it for medical reasons just chose not to talk about it and I would understand that.

But I have to believe that number who use it as birth control is a significant portion. Just looking at a few sites I couldn't get an exact number, but this pro-choice/woman site had some stats that makes me believe the majority probably are birth control.
    Quoting stats like the majority of pregnancies are unplanned, half of women who get an abortion have had at least one before. To me that sounds like birth control would be more likely, and not a woman who got pregnant and then discovered some illness in her child or other medical issues. 
    http://www.womenscenter.com/abortion_stats.html
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Of course keep it legal.

To show how much time I spend thinking about this topic, I recently learned that in Canada a pregnancy can be terminated at any stage.  If true, it was interesting fact.  If I’m wrong please correct me.
    It’s correct that there is no federal law limiting  abortion in Canada. The last law prohibiting abortion was struck down 30 years ago. It is now treated as a medical procedure, and thus under provincial jurisdiction. 

Alrhough legal everywhere, availability varies significantly. There is no access to surgical abortion in the province of PEI, and access is very limited in most of the Maritimes. Surgical abortions can occur in hospital or in private clinics. Access to medical abortions is increasing and is funded in most provinces now. 

That’s the broad brushstrokes; there are many details, of course. The Mulroney conservatives in the ‘90s attempted to criminalize abortion again and failed. Trudeau has made it clear he won’t reopen the discussion despite being a staunch Catholic. 

Here’s a review of the legal status:

http://www.nafcanada.org/legal-abortion-ca.html
    Thank you for the info...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJinIL said:

I think that would be an interesting stat. Probably hard to determine an accurate number due to the personal nature, and the typical response of "none of your business."
    I have never once asked a women if she's had an abortion or the reason behind it, but the ones that freely talk about it usually seem to be for birth control. So that can easily skew my viewpoint. It may just be the ones who get it for medical reasons just chose not to talk about it and I would understand that.

But I have to believe that number who use it as birth control is a significant portion. Just looking at a few sites I couldn't get an exact number, but this pro-choice/woman site had some stats that makes me believe the majority probably are birth control.
    Quoting stats like the majority of pregnancies are unplanned, half of women who get an abortion have had at least one before. To me that sounds like birth control would be more likely, and not a woman who got pregnant and then discovered some illness in her child or other medical issues. 
    I think you are using the phrase “using it for birth control” in a different way than I am and that I suspect most people do. I’m sure it’s true that most abortions are not for “medical” reasons, such as fetal abnormality or a serious maternal health condition that makes pregnancy dangerous. However, lots of abortions are due to contraception failure or lack of ability to access contraception.  The vast majority of women getting abortions are not completely neglecting contraception and then happily aborting the resulting fetus. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Who  cares if tax dollars are used? If you knew half of what our tax money is wasted on, abortion would be at the bottom of your concerns.
    Or this.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I say let a woman do whatever she wants with her body.  It’s definitely not a form of birth control though, that’s super duper fucked up.
    Why is that fucked up? That woman clearly is not ready to be a mother. That is the smartest woman alive. How many thousands of tax payer dollars has she saved by making the RIGHT CHOICE to not keep the fetus? 

No, money isn't the only concern. Her personal situation matters too. Overpopulation is a real concern. Why can't abortions be used as birth control? As long as they're done properly, does it put the woman in any danger? 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Life is too short for me to clutch my pearls and worry about what other people are doing to their own bodies. I have more pressing matters to worry about.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJinIL said:

I think you are using the phrase “using it for birth control” in a different way than I am and that I suspect most people do. I’m sure it’s true that most abortions are not for “medical” reasons, such as fetal abnormality or a serious maternal health condition that makes pregnancy dangerous. However, lots of abortions are due to contraception failure or lack of ability to access contraception.  The vast majority of women getting abortions are not completely neglecting contraception and then happily aborting the resulting fetus. 
    I honestly don't get the argument of "don't have access" or "Can't afford it," and even lack of education in some circumstances.
    Although I know many are worse off than me, we definitely struggle with finances. With a MA and 10 years of experience in public education, if we made $200 less a month we would actually qualify for welfare, which is really sad and depressing honestly. That only accounts for gross pay, it completely ignores that my employer takes out $1000 a month for benefits, so there are literally people on welfare who make $800 a month more than I do in take-home pay ( even more when I consider taxes, retirement, etc).

I only bring that up because I have discussed with my wife our options for birth control. We take into consideration cost and other benefits. Sorry to disappoint everyone on here, but I won't get into too many details about my sex life. But I will say we have chosen methods that were far down on our list of preferences, but chose it because it was effective and affordable when other methods were not covered or too expensive.

I just don't get that defense because condoms really are pretty cheap (especially for what you get out of them). I place the responsibility on the man just as much as the woman, but I know it is her that gets stuck being pregnant. If she's not in a relationship there's no reason not to expect the man to use protection. Zero reason for it. If she is in a relationship, and he is unwilling to help provide or use protection, then there is zero reason not to dump his lazy butt to the curb.
    We aren't in a third world country here, birth control is available. It is very easy to find, probably don't have to drive 5 minutes to find 10 different stores selling some. So I really just don't agree with the lack of ability to access it, it just doesn't exist in this country. Birth control is cheaper than 1 drink at the bar.

Failed methods I will give you that. Lack of education I'd give that one too for a teenager. But really, how many abortions are a result of lack of education? If you're on your second or third I think it's time to stop blaming education at that point.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    legal, up until the lungs have developed enough to be able to breath , with help, on its own.

unless its medically certain the baby will not live.

my cousin just gave birth to a baby that had a hole in its heart as well as a genetic defect called trisomy 18. which is a third chromosome on the 18th chromosome.

second most common extra chromosome occurance behind downs children.

my cousin was forced to carry to term knowing the baby would not survive. which her daughter didnt. died shortly after birth. is it right in such cases to force live birth in cases like this?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    dankind said:
    jeffbr said:
    Keep it legal and safe. This is a personal, private decision made by a woman about her body. It shouldn't be a policy decision made by wrinkly old men.
    I'll take it further. My opinion on this shouldn't even matter. Neither should anyone's with a Y chromosome.
    Yeah cause men aren't involved in making a baby nor are 50% of babies boys.  I hate this argument.
    well until men can carry to term, .....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    mickeyrat said:
    legal, up until the lungs have developed enough to be able to breath , with help, on its own.

my cousin just gave birth to a baby that had a hole in its heart as well as a genetic defect called trisomy 18. which is a third chromosome on the 18th chromosome.

my cousin was forced to carry to term knowing the baby would not survive. which her daughter didnt. died shortly after birth. is it right in such cases to force live birth in cases like this?
    This happens in Ireland all the time as we have as yet failed to legislate for abortion in the case of fatal foetal abnormality. It is appalling to force women to suffer through carrying such a child to term knowing they have no chance of life
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mickeyrat said:

No, it’s not right. It’s torture for the woman to carry a fetus she knows will die; torture for the partner and loved ones, and the babies may suffer after birth before they eventually, inevitably die. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mickeyrat said:

With help, on its own? It's not on its own if it has help. My thought always used to be if the baby could survive with no help from a machine, don't have The abortion. But now, I think if you get within a month of your due date, you should have one. But I'm not opposed to 3rd trimester abortions at all.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Keep it legal. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mickeyrat said:

With help, on its own? It's not on its own if it has help. My thought always used to be if the baby could survive with no help from a machine, don't have The abortion. But now, I think if you get within a month of your due date, you should have one. But I'm not opposed to 3rd trimester abortions at all.
    any preemie will have medical intervention....

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited March 2018
    This is a hard subject. I really hate that abortion is even a thing or an option to be discussed. 

Nothing will ever change my mind that it is just plain wrong though. Even if you believe that it isnt a child at whatever stage, they should have every right to develop into one after conceived. 

Buy some damn condoms if you don’t want a kid. 

Edit: I don’t condemn those that do it or hate anyone for it. It just upsets me. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    This is a hard subject. I really hate that abortion is even a thing or an option to be discussed. 

Nothing will ever change my mind that it is just plain wrong though. Even if you believe that it isnt a child at whatever stage, they should have every right to develop into one after conceived. 

Edit: I don’t condemn those that do it or hate anyone for it. It just upsets me. 
    That's an extremely simplistic view. What about cases of rape, fatal foetal abnormality and mothers exhibiting suicidal ideation?

That's an extremely simplistic view. What about cases of rape, fatal foetal abnormality and mothers exhibiting suicidal ideation?
    Aren’t those cases something like 1-2% of abortions? I don’t think it’s fair to call his view extreme, then follow that up with rape and suicide.
    mace1229 said:

Aren’t those cases something like 1-2% of abortions? I don’t think it’s fair to call his view extreme, then follow that up with rape and suicide.
    So I'm just to assume he was specifically talking about accidental pregnancies where birth control was not used or failed and where the foetus is viable and healthy and the mother is not suicidal? That's a lot of assumptions to make from his very general disapproval
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Urging people to practice safer sex is exactly what we should be doing. Attacking people for doing so is counterproductive. And if people disapprove of abortion that is their right.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

Those are the reasons that make it hard. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited March 2018

Would I be right in thinking you still find it hard to accept as a valid decision in such cases?

Would I be right in thinking you still find it hard to accept as a valid decision in such cases?
    The validity of the decision wouldn’t be hard to accept. I can’t imagine having to go through that and on top of that finding out I was pregnant. Who knows where my head would be after that. 

The only thing that is hard is knowing that what could be a perfectly healthy child one day isn’t granted that oppurtunity.

As a man I would never be in this situation, but if I were I would hope I had the strength to go through with having the child and raising it knowing that it is still part of me or be able to put them up for adoption. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

The validity of the decision wouldn’t be hard to accept. I can’t imagine having to go through that and on top of that finding out I was pregnant. Who knows where my head would be after that. 

The only thing that is hard is knowing that what could be a perfectly healthy child one day isn’t granted that oppurtunity.

As a man I would never be in this situation, but if I were I would hope I had the strength to go through with having the child and raising it knowing that it is still part of me or be able to put them up for adoption. 

You realise that in saying that you are implying that those victims of rape are showning weakness by choosing to abort the child rather than carrying to term. It is not about strength, it is about women having ownership of their own bodies and the right to make the decision most appropriate to them and their personal situation
    edited March 2018

You realise that in saying that you are implying that those victims of rape are showning weakness by choosing to abort the child rather than carrying to term. It is not about strength, it is about women having ownership of their own bodies and the right to make the decision most appropriate to them and their personal situation
    If you want to read it that way sure. You think any person that learns a woman was raped and kept the child wouldn’t call them a strong woman? You can read it in a negative context and twist it that way, but that is not what I meant 

I am sure it is mentally tormenting to decide what to do.

And to add: I disagree that it is just another part of the womans body when they are pregnant. The child is its own being. Again that can be argued with what you scientifically call a child or not, it’s just what I believe. Also in cases where the father is in the picture it shouldn’t just be the womans choice. That is still the mans child too and they should have a say. I understand that we don’t carry the child, but it shouldnt be so black and white
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Well I guess we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree. I do understand that it must be very hard as a man to accept the notion that this should be solely the decision of the woman
    mace1229 said:

So I'm just to assume he was specifically talking about accidental pregnancies where birth control was not used or failed and where the foetus is viable and healthy and the mother is not suicidal? That's a lot of assumptions to make from his very general disapproval
    You mean something like 95% of the cases? Yeah, I think it would be safe to assume that's what he was referring to. Why is it extreme to focus on the 95%, but somehow not extreme to focus on what only occurs 5% of the time?
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You mean something like 95% of the cases? Yeah, I think it would be safe to assume that's what he was referring to. Why is it extreme to focus on the 95%, but somehow not extreme to focus on what only occurs 5% of the time?
    Have you any basis for those statistics? I imagine they vary wildly from country to country. For example, Irish women have to travel abroad to have an abortion so it's certainly not something they casually use as a form of birth control
    I thought that was commonly accepted as a very limited number were for medical reasons or rape. 
    http://www.actionlife.org/index.php/life-issues/abortion/item/124-the-real-reason-women-choose-abortion
    mace1229 said:
    I thought that was commonly accepted as a very limited number were for medical reasons or rape. 
    http://www.actionlife.org/index.php/life-issues/abortion/item/124-the-real-reason-women-choose-abortion
    Are you seriously quoting a Pro-Life lobby group? You couldn't at least manage to find an independent source to support your statistics?