Dying alone

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dignin said:
    can any of you stop mocking other's beliefs for one second?
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    yeah, just what I thought. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    can any of you stop mocking other's beliefs for one second?
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    yeah, just what I thought. 
    Some people laugh at adults who believe in Santa and some people laugh at people who get shot in the face. I'm not judging.

Maybe some people around here are pretty grumpy deep into the dark winter, they may need to consider taking a timeout to regain their sunny ways. Fear not, spring is coming.

Related image
    so it's "grumpy" to call out intolerance? I'll remember that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:
    My mother had ALS and had to be put in a home for purposes of being taken care of. I visited almost every day, fed her dinner and talked about life. Even she died alone in the middle of the night. So even with the almost most of my free time that I could give her, she still was sadly on her own when she passed. Tis life!

She wasn't alone.  Our Father takes care of His own.  Please Read.  Pay close attention to versus 6 and 7.
    https://christiananswers.net/bible/eccl12.html
    And she appreciated everything you did.
    So, Let not your heart be troubled.  Go in peace.

Are you sure? What about the other people dying in other parts of the world at the same time? Can God be in several places at one time? That must be really hard to do.
    Off course he can.

Oh. Well call me stupid then.

It's just hard to picture something being in multiple places at once... giving a dying person their undivided attention. Not to mention... observing the countless other unspeakable things that need to be noted... and listening to the countless prayers being uttered... and all those other things occurring simultaneously.

I guess this is what they call the 'leap of faith'. Questions that cannot be answered with any degree of logic are responded to with, "You must have faith."

In other words... "Hmmm. I'm not really too sure? Hey... just believe okay? Or you'll go to Hell. Do you want to burn in eternity? Didn't think so. Sooo... say your prayers. Oh... and don't forget your tithe!"
    I’m absolutely not calling you stupid, I’m sorry if I upset you in any way, truly. 

Anna... two things:

1. I disagree with your faith vehemently.
    2. I think you are a truly nice person and as much as I disagree with your beliefs... it takes nothing from my understanding of you as an exceptional human being (from what I have read of your posts). 
    Thank you for the very kind words. I like you and I think you say many great/fun/smart things on this board. :)
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    People die being loved by someone, they are physically along, but in their heart they know they are not "alone" in the world.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:
    My mother had ALS and had to be put in a home for purposes of being taken care of. I visited almost every day, fed her dinner and talked about life. Even she died alone in the middle of the night. So even with the almost most of my free time that I could give her, she still was sadly on her own when she passed. Tis life!

She wasn't alone.  Our Father takes care of His own.  Please Read.  Pay close attention to versus 6 and 7.

Are you sure? What about the other people dying in other parts of the world at the same time? Can God be in several places at one time? That must be really hard to do.
    Off course he can.

Oh. Well call me stupid then.

It's just hard to picture something being in multiple places at once... giving a dying person their undivided attention. Not to mention... observing the countless other unspeakable things that need to be noted... and listening to the countless prayers being uttered... and all those other things occurring simultaneously.

I guess this is what they call the 'leap of faith'. Questions that cannot be answered with any degree of logic are responded to with, "You must have faith."

In other words... "Hmmm. I'm not really too sure? Hey... just believe okay? Or you'll go to Hell. Do you want to burn in eternity? Didn't think so. Sooo... say your prayers. Oh... and don't forget your tithe!"
    I’m absolutely not calling you stupid, I’m sorry if I upset you in any way, truly. 

Anna... two things:

1. I disagree with your faith vehemently.
    2. I think you are a truly nice person and as much as I disagree with your beliefs... it takes nothing from my understanding of you as an exceptional human being (from what I have read of your posts). 
    Thank you for the very kind words. I like you and I think you say many great/fun/smart things on this board. :)
    Cheers!

Also... if somebody has faith and lives a great life as a result... who am I to question what is good for them and what isn't? My oldest friend is a devout Catholic and we have debated religion for many years. Our disagreements have never come between our friendship.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:

Absolutely yes He does and yes He can.
    You can believe whatever you want.
    Someone else here says ho ho ho like this is really funny.  I don't think this is a humorous thread.
    I don't understand your anger/disdain.  You were extremely rough on Annafalk as well.
    She stated her beliefs & you freaked on her.  She said "of course he can", you said  "call me stupid" nobody called you stupid.  Dude, a few people are trying to comfort people here who are grieving, who lost their mother recently, or are concerned about dying alone on their own, & the reaction to that is ho ho ho. Really??. 
     If you are at an event somewhere and there is a moment of silence requested, are you the one that burps out loud or blows an air horn or something?  I don't really care if you mock me, but what you're actually doing is disrespecting the person here who lost their mother that some of us are trying to comfort.
    There are several threads dedicated to the Concept of God, or the one that says
     I Don't Believe in God.  You can debate religion there all you want.
     I Think this Thread is about people who have concerns about Dying or Dying Alone.
    They obviously are seeking Council or empathy, compassion, understanding, & or just want to be heard and seen.

Post edited by RYME on
  • RYME said:
    RYME said:

Absolutely yes He does and yes He can.
    You can believe whatever you want.
    Someone else says ho ho ho like this is really funny.
    I don't understand your anger.  You were extremely rough on Annafalk as well.
    She stated her beliefs & you freaked on her.  She said "of course he can", you said  "call me stupid" nobody called you stupid.  Dude, a few people are trying to comfort someone who lost their mother recently. & the reaction to that is ho ho ho. Really??. 
     If there is a moment of silence requested, are you the one that burps out loud or something?  I don't really care if you mock me, but what you're actually doing is disrespecting the person here who lost their mother that I was trying to comfort.

'Freaked on her'?

No. Just no.

Spoke a bit of common sense, but you probably didn't like that- you've taken the leap of faith.

And nice, subtle passive aggression (with the burp comment). A veiled shot at my character, but not as discreet as you make it out to be... and hypocritical in the context of the rest of your passage.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Dude, a few people are trying to comfort people here who are grieving, who lost their mother recently, or are concerned about dying alone on their own, & the reaction to that is ho ho ho. Really??. 

Don't put my comment in that context. It obviously wasn't a reaction to someone grieving for their mother. I get that you are offended by my comment because it pokes fun at your religion, but don't attack it through bullshit, hit me straight on.

edited February 2018
    Character,
    This Thread is titled Dying Alone
    It was obviously created by somebody who fears dying alone.
    Other people have their own issues where a loved one dies alone.
    I think they're posting here for Council, wishing to be heard and seen, perhaps seeking a little compassion.
    When that is offered buy someone, even if you disagree with the statement why would you taketake a swing?
    There are at least two other religious threads that I know about, 
    The concept of God, & I don't believe in God, where the point of thread is to debate religion all you want. 
    So if I'm trying to cheer up a grieving person here, why would you take the swing?
     No I do not think that you would be burping during a moment of silence. I was referring to the guy that keeps saying ho ho ho not you.
    Anyway rather than commenting on my comments, why don't you offer The Grieving person that I was talking to some kind words of your own.
    Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    Character,
    I think they're posting here for Council, wishing to be heard and seen, perhaps seeking a little compassion.
    When that is offered buy someone, even if you disagree with the statement why would you taketake a swing?
    The concept of God, & I don't believe in God, where the point of thread is to debate religion all you want. 
    So if I'm trying to cheer up a grieving person here, why would you take the swing?
     If we're talking about character now, why would you take a swing in this particular thread?
    I didn't take a swing at you. I have no idea where you are getting that from. 

I made a joke about prostitution earlier in this thread and I didn't here you complain about that. So jokes are fine, as long as they are not about your god. Got it. Let's move on.

Thoughts arrive, you going to take me up on my wingman in Missoula offer?
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Jaysus lads, ye went off on a bit of a tangent there!

Interesting suggestion that many people may prefer to die alone. That makes sense to me, a lot of people (me included) hate showing vulnerability and there could be no greater moment of vulnerability than that
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited February 2018
    I've watched a few people die and I'm convinced we all die alone and that's ok.
    The moment of the last breath usually comes much, much slower than people think, often even in more sudden deaths than natural causes.
    I think the percentage of people who are aware of their last breath is next to zero, and in that moment you are alone inside yourself, if you still exist at all.
    It's nice for the survivors to feel that it was good that someone was there, I sat that vigil myself for my uncle, but I don't think it matters at all to the departing. 
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    edited February 2018
    To hell with dying is my outlook these days.  Live, right now.  A friend just sent me a photo of he took of me from around 1973.  There I am, this 22 year young guy with a smile on my face and a million miles to go.  That was a blink ago.  A 45 year long blink and gone.  Live.  Live now every day.  Don't wait.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RYME said:
    Character,
     No I do not think that you would be burping during a moment of silence. I was referring to the guy that keeps saying ho ho ho not you.
    Anyway rather than commenting on my comments, why don't you offer The Grieving person that I was talking to some kind words of your own.

I got a little irritated with what seemed like a promotion of your religion. No big deal either way.

Here's my advice: better to have lived and died than never to have lived at all. Loss is tough to deal with, but once the pain subsides... the clouds move away from the sun and the fun memories of the lost one becomes the focus.

As Brian kind of stated... make some memories while you can.
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    brianlux said:
    To hell with dying is my outlook these days.  Live, right now.  A friend just sent me a photo of he took of me from around 1973.  There I am, this 22 year young guy with a smile on my face and a million miles to go.  That was a blink ago.  A 45 year long blink and gone.  Live.  Live now every day.  Don't wait.
    I absolutely agree. 
    Although, it is always easier in theory. Often it is pretty hard to change and leave ones comfort zone. That's at least my problem...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    brianlux said:
    I absolutely agree. 
    Although, it is always easier in theory. Often it is pretty hard to change and leave ones comfort zone. That's at least my problem...
    Yes, that's true for some of us.   As I get older, I have more and more difficulty getting out of my comfort zone.  I'm basically an introvert but somehow I manage to push myself out from under my rock and go do things (besides work, which is a major way I keep busy).  But even when "I'm in Hiding", I push myself to reach out via the occasional cards and letters and especially via the internet, and also make an effort find  creative things to do.  I also consider reading a great way to experience things, at least vicariously.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    The moment of the last breath usually comes much, much slower than people think, often even in more sudden deaths than natural causes.
    I think the percentage of people who are aware of their last breath is next to zero, and in that moment you are alone inside yourself, if you still exist at all.
    It's nice for the survivors to feel that it was good that someone was there, I sat that vigil myself for my uncle, but I don't think it matters at all to the departing. 
    I watched my uncle die. It was terrifying to see. it was 20 years ago and I'll never forget it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    rgambs said:
    I watched my uncle die. It was terrifying to see. it was 20 years ago and I'll never forget it. 

I just hope I don't have to experience that too soon... 
    I already got enough stuff for a live time to deal with 20 years ago, and even the thought about a loss of another loved one just scares me. 
    It is the way how we maybe have to go what also is frightening, the same as the fear about the loss of someone else.
    I think I am not that afraid about dying myself. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2018
    I hope my parents just drop dead. I know the chances of that are slim to none, unfortunately, but I still hope for it. My parents don't want to go slowly, and I don't want to have to watch them go that way either. I hope I just drop dead too. Long slow deaths are horrible and so common. Talk about traumatic for everyone (pretty sure they will both be all over doctor assisted suicide if needed, but right now Canada has a lot of work to do to make that law adequate. Right now it still necessitates suffering. Just not quite as much suffering).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hope my parents just drop dead. I know the chances of that are slim to none, unfortunately, but I still hope for it. My parents don't want to go slowly, and I don't want to have to watch them go that way either. I hope I just drop dead too. Long slow deaths are horrible and so common. Talk about traumatic for everyone (pretty sure they will both be all over doctor assisted suicide if needed, but right now Canada has a lot of work to do to make that law adequate. Right now it still necessitates suffering. Just not quite as much suffering).

I think that's exactly what we are all hoping for PJ Soul!
    And I really wish that for everybody.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    My grandfather always had an afternoon beer then took a nap. One day he didn’t wake up after having a heart attack. To me that s a good way to go. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My grandfather always had an afternoon beer then took a nap. One day he didn’t wake up after having a heart attack. To me that s a good way to go. 
    That is a wonderful way to go. Good for your grandfather (I hope you know what I mean by that!).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I want to go out like Tony Montana.

Jk lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is a wonderful way to go. Good for your grandfather (I hope you know what I mean by that!).
    I know what you are saying Allie.  My only regret is that he passed away when I was in second grade; he was one hell of a person.  He dropped out of school in second grade to get a job in order to help his family during the Great Depression.  He was a WW2 vet that saw active combat in Europe, helped built the twin towers, and was one hell of a fisherman.  I often think about him.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i'm 42 and single. i typically have long relationships and go long periods free and single. i have never thought about dying alone. i always assumed i would go after i have settled down with a wife and kids at some point in my 80s. never really gave it much thought.

until last night.

i got a call from my mom at about 10:30 pm. she said that my uncle John was found dead in his bed yesterday evening. he was 58. he was married and had 5 kids, 4 of which were on their own out of state. my youngest cousin is in high school and still lives at home. 

since he was only 15 years older than me he was more like a big brother. i was close to him when i was growing up. he had more of an influence on my life than my own father. you don't really think about how people impact you until it is too late and you are forced to do a retrospective. then it hits you. he is the one that got me in to hockey at age 4. he got me in to rock n roll a little later. he is the reason i played hockey for all those years through college and grad school. he is the family member responsible for me picking up a guitar. without him and his influence i don't know who I would be today.

i last saw him christmas eve, and last talked to him on the phone about something I don't even recall in mid january.

his wife and daughter were out of town in florida for a school function over this past weekend. they got suspicious when he did not answer his phone sunday night or all day monday. they left voicemails and then his mailbox was full and he did not return any calls. his wife got a call that he did not go to work monday or tuesday and work could not reach him, she called the police and asked them to do a welfare check and they found him alone in his bed last night. 

i'm still numb. he was very gregarious and was the life of the party and was the one uncle that kind of kept the family together after my grandmother died. he passed away alone. he deserved better than that, but nobody knew he was going to die. 

i don't want to die alone. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    i'm 42 and single. i typically have long relationships and go long periods free and single. i have never thought about dying alone. i always assumed i would go after i have settled down with a wife and kids at some point in my 80s. never really gave it much thought.

until last night.

i got a call from my mom at about 10:30 pm. she said that my uncle John was found dead in his bed yesterday evening. he was 58. he was married and had 5 kids, 4 of which were on their own out of state. my youngest cousin is in high school and still lives at home. 

since he was only 15 years older than me he was more like a big brother. i was close to him when i was growing up. he had more of an influence on my life than my own father. you don't really think about how people impact you until it is too late and you are forced to do a retrospective. then it hits you. he is the one that got me in to hockey at age 4. he got me in to rock n roll a little later. he is the reason i played hockey for all those years through college and grad school. he is the family member responsible for me picking up a guitar. without him and his influence i don't know who I would be today.

i last saw him christmas eve, and last talked to him on the phone about something I don't even recall in mid january.

his wife and daughter were out of town in florida for a school function over this past weekend. they got suspicious when he did not answer his phone sunday night or all day monday. they left voicemails and then his mailbox was full and he did not return any calls. his wife got a call that he did not go to work monday or tuesday and work could not reach him, she called the police and asked them to do a welfare check and they found him alone in his bed last night. 

i'm still numb. he was very gregarious and was the life of the party and was the one uncle that kind of kept the family together after my grandmother died. he passed away alone. he deserved better than that, but nobody knew he was going to die. 

So sorry about your loss.
    Me being 15 years older than my niece makes me feel like her big brother.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • i'm 42 and single. i typically have long relationships and go long periods free and single. i have never thought about dying alone. i always assumed i would go after i have settled down with a wife and kids at some point in my 80s. never really gave it much thought.

until last night.

Gee.

Sad. Sorry about this.
    edited February 2018
    rgambs said:

Promoting my religion isn't it.  I don't get payed to say what I say.  I'm referring to Thirty Bills. 
    I do enjoy trying to provide greving people with a few comforting words.  
    People can take or leave what I say, I don't know why people get offended when My wish is to bring a little comfort to anyone struggling with the loss of a loved one.
    Your uncle Hugh, is in a much better place right now, he probably Watches Over You, He's not gone, he's not out here in a cold hole in the ground somewhere.  The Flesh usually gets cremated or buried when it dies, but the spirit lives on. 
    Your uncle, family members, frends, loved ones are very much alive and in that parallel dimension which is what heaven is.  Heaven is not some place far far away up in the sky somewhere at the other end of the Galaxy, it's right here.
    We cannot see that other dimension when we are in the flesh.  To be absent from the flesh body is to be present with the Lord.  Corinthians chapter 5 verse 8 is where you'll find that documented.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+5&version=KJV
    We have two bodies, a flesh body & a spirit body.
    Your spirit body lives inside your flesh body when you're in the flesh. When the flesh body dies your flesh body returns to the ground, (flesh bodies are basically made out of clay or dirt to put it bluntly) and your spirit body (made out of a totally different substance) goes to that other dimension where you will be present with the Lord and those loved friends and relatives that have passed on along the way before you.  
    Now,,, if people here don't like what I just said that's fine let it go, and I'll let it go.
    If it provides a little bit of comfort knowing that you're loved ones and relatives are not gone I would think that would be a good thing.
    And Hugh, maby you can finally have  some peace of mind, even though you watched your uncle's flesh body die, He is not gone & you will see him again.
    Go in peace.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Ryme... you're messing up the quotes. You're typing in the quoted area and then things kind of get jumbled.

Please make sure you're below the quoted section when you start going to work on a post.

I'm not pointing this out to suggest anything or belittle you. It's happened a few times lately and to keep things clearer... it's better when each post everybody offers stands uniquely upon presentation to the community.