Dying alone

Comments

• Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    kce8 said:
    Glen and Eddie together always warms my heart. That these two have found each other...unbelievable. They both have been my favourite musicians for over a decade (well PJ longer) and created this beautiful thing out of a horrible story...

But that story proofs that you can go through hell and make it out the other end...

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Exactly! That's the point :smile: 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2018

I like how you can say something like "any sensible person would" - and act like that is just another thing to say in a conversation.  You are calling the other person insensible.  
    That is not cool. 
    I also read it similarly to that.  I didn't necessarily think that this is what you meant to convey but to me that is what the original statement was conveying.  So you can say whatever you want and regardless of what is said...your intended meaning is all that matters?  
    I have a thirteen years old that lives with us that constantly says "what I meant was...." After we question something he says that we think is messed up.  

Others saying that they know that's not what you meant doesnt mean anyone that questions what they read is without their mental facilities.

but if i clarify it with other statements making it crystal fucking clear what i meant and that person is still adamant that they are right in what was in my mind then that person is just being a fucking contrarian and a troll. 
    A fucking contrarian and a troll?

i don't take victim shaming accusations lightly. 
    Good thing you are ok with just being an a#_+-&!
    wow. ok. 

i defend myself and i'm an asshole. there is something seriously wrong with some people here these days. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited February 2018
    It's not that you  defended yourself  it was the way that you did.  Called someone senseless.  Called them a troll.  A contrarian.  Someone that is an open participant on these boards.  
    Someone who is none of those things.
    You don't see anything wrong there?
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    It's not that you  defended yourself  it was the way that you did.  Called someone senseless.  Called them a troll.  A contrarian.  Someone that is an open participant on these boards.  
    Someone who is none of those things.
    You don't see anything wrong there?
    you don't see something wrong with accusing someone of something as disgusting as victim shaming, and when that person defends themselves by explaining what they meant, they continue with their position?

the senseless comment was not accurate. i shouldn't have said that. i was feeling attacked and i lashed out. but someone who continues to accuse someone of something when they have explained themselves clearly, is exhibiting trolling behaviour. 

even though this is a semi-anonymous message board, i still tend to take things personally, especially something like that. the girlfriend i mentioned earlier? yeah, she was raped while we were together. she blamed herself. i spent a long time assuring her it was not her fault, and she did nothing wrong, fully supporting her until the day we split (for different reasons). so yeah, that accusation hit me close to home. this is the problem around here sometimes. people take one comment out of context and judge a person harshly when they have no fucking clue what they are talking about. 

and i am none of the things often and you have claimed. yet you both have continued to say these things. you seem to see nothing wrong with that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I didn't say you were....what I said was that the text was read that way.  
    I actually think I stated that before - but we can move along.  You don't strike me as the type of person to be mean to women.
    (I didn't think you a bully either but that was the reaction (overreaction) I observed and responded to.  You explained why you felt the need to react that way.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    you said i was an asshole, which is what i was referring to there. 

but fine, moving along. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    kce8 said:
    Pretty sure at this point I’ll continue to live alone and I’ll die alone.

I'm 40, I’m not interested in women my age, and younger women (understandably) aren’t interested in men my age unless they have money, which I don’t.
    Why you aren't you interested in women your age? You're very much limiting yourself with that. My brother who is going through a divorce right now is dating someone 10 years his junior. And he definitely doesn't have money. He's just a really nice guy.
    I'm just attracted to younger women. They're livelier, like to live in the now, and do fun things on a whim like I do.  Where I live, women my age have been thrown to the pack too many times. 40 looks like 55.  Most of them have been married once or twice (I don't want to deal with redneck ex-husbands), have kids (I don't want kids, ever. Not mine, not someone else's), own or have owned houses (something else I never want to do), and/or they're just generally fucked up in the head from all the previous baggage.

On top of that, I just have unordinary ideas for how I want things to be in a relationship and I just don't think any woman, regardless of age, is going to go for it.  (Like living separately and possibly never getting married.)
    :lol: 
    That sounds like you never really fell in love before. I promise, when you have found the right girl you'll change your mind about living separately! :wink: 
    No need to get married or have kids but I'm pretty sure there will be two seats at your small table permanently. 
     That's sent to all of us. Someday it happens. Just don't give up and think positive. 
    And smile! :smiley: 
    I have. Once.  Didn't realize what I had at the time.
    Young and dumb?  
    There are loves out there for you yet!  

More like young and a controlling asshole. Which I guess files under "dumb" in a sense.
    the way I look at it, then she wasn't the right one. you wouldn't have treated the right one like that, no matter your age. it was a learning experience. I had a 5 year relationship in my early 20's that you could say was borderline emotionally abusive (on both our parts), and yeah, when I think back, sure, I and she could have been nicer. But maybe that was something I needed to learn. To prepare me for my subsequent relationships and marriage. 
    Your opinion is your own but I certainly don’t think that you can put any of the fault for any of a guy’s controlling behaviour on his female partner for “not being the right one”. Any abusive behaviour sits squarely on the person behaving that way. 

Let me be crystal clear: I said or implied nowhere that it was her fault. It was still his. Same as it was mine when I was a dick to my ex. Same as how it was hers for being a twat to me. People, I think, just tend to work harder at relationships when they are "the one". (and no, I don't believe in "the one", I just used that terminology for ease of discussion-in my case my wife is "the one" but I'm sure in different cities or circumstances there are others "ones" out there as well). 
    “....you wouldn’t have treated the right one like that” sure sounds like it’s her fault because she’s “not the right one”. 
    I know that's not what Hugh meant by that comment.
    any sensible person would. thank you. 
    Mr. Sensible
    Right on cue.
    oh, gee, ya got me! 
    Did you get my message Hugh?
    I'm sorry.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    kce8 said:

I'm 40, I’m not interested in women my age, and younger women (understandably) aren’t interested in men my age unless they have money, which I don’t.
    Why you aren't you interested in women your age? You're very much limiting yourself with that. My brother who is going through a divorce right now is dating someone 10 years his junior. And he definitely doesn't have money. He's just a really nice guy.
    I'm just attracted to younger women. They're livelier, like to live in the now, and do fun things on a whim like I do.  Where I live, women my age have been thrown to the pack too many times. 40 looks like 55.  Most of them have been married once or twice (I don't want to deal with redneck ex-husbands), have kids (I don't want kids, ever. Not mine, not someone else's), own or have owned houses (something else I never want to do), and/or they're just generally fucked up in the head from all the previous baggage.

On top of that, I just have unordinary ideas for how I want things to be in a relationship and I just don't think any woman, regardless of age, is going to go for it.  (Like living separately and possibly never getting married.)
    That sounds like you never really fell in love before. I promise, when you have found the right girl you'll change your mind about living separately! :wink: 
    No need to get married or have kids but I'm pretty sure there will be two seats at your small table permanently. 
     That's sent to all of us. Someday it happens. Just don't give up and think positive. 
    Young and dumb?  

More like young and a controlling asshole. Which I guess files under "dumb" in a sense.
    the way I look at it, then she wasn't the right one. you wouldn't have treated the right one like that, no matter your age. it was a learning experience. I had a 5 year relationship in my early 20's that you could say was borderline emotionally abusive (on both our parts), and yeah, when I think back, sure, I and she could have been nicer. But maybe that was something I needed to learn. To prepare me for my subsequent relationships and marriage. 
    Your opinion is your own but I certainly don’t think that you can put any of the fault for any of a guy’s controlling behaviour on his female partner for “not being the right one”. Any abusive behaviour sits squarely on the person behaving that way. 

Let me be crystal clear: I said or implied nowhere that it was her fault. It was still his. Same as it was mine when I was a dick to my ex. Same as how it was hers for being a twat to me. People, I think, just tend to work harder at relationships when they are "the one". (and no, I don't believe in "the one", I just used that terminology for ease of discussion-in my case my wife is "the one" but I'm sure in different cities or circumstances there are others "ones" out there as well). 
    “....you wouldn’t have treated the right one like that” sure sounds like it’s her fault because she’s “not the right one”. 
    Mr. Sensible
    Right on cue.
    oh, gee, ya got me! 
    I'm sorry.
    yes, i did. no worries. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Could you please take your arguments on pm.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    OP, life is something you do, not something that happens to you.
    You're a white Australian guy right?  In these modern times. 
    In the context of all of humanity, that means that even when you're up shit creek and there's a hole in your boat, you've at least got a bucket and a paddle.  Bail water until you're light enough on the water and then paddle like hell. 
     Everybody sinks one day, but you gotta give 'er hell while you can.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    kce8 said:

Young and dumb?  

Mr. Sensible
    Right on cue.
    oh, gee, ya got me! 
    I'm sorry.
    yes, i did. no worries. 
    Cool, I don't even know you, but I do care about you Dillon, I care about all of you here, even if we disagree on things.
    https://youtu.be/mVohbxSa-Zs
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Could you please take your arguments on pm.

Agreed.  Can we try to be mutually supportive here and leave the personal stuff on the sideline? 

Cool.

Peace, all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• My mother had ALS and had to be put in a home for purposes of being taken care of. I visited almost every day, fed her dinner and talked about life. Even she died alone in the middle of the night. So even with the almost most of my free time that I could give her, she still was sadly on her own when she passed. Tis life!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

edited February 2018
    My mother had ALS and had to be put in a home for purposes of being taken care of. I visited almost every day, fed her dinner and talked about life. Even she died alone in the middle of the night. So even with the almost most of my free time that I could give her, she still was sadly on her own when she passed. Tis life!

She wasn't alone.  Our Father takes care of His own.  Please Read.  Pay close attention to versus 6 and 7.
    https://christiananswers.net/bible/eccl12.html
    And she appreciated everything you did.
    So, Let not your heart be troubled.  Go in peace.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    My mother had ALS and had to be put in a home for purposes of being taken care of. I visited almost every day, fed her dinner and talked about life. Even she died alone in the middle of the night. So even with the almost most of my free time that I could give her, she still was sadly on her own when she passed. Tis life!

Many people who work in palliative/hospice care come to believe that a good number of individuals prefer to die alone. There are countless stories of people dying when their loved ones finally leave to get a bit to eat, a shower, what have you. There is a belief that this most often happens with parents and children, as if the parent wants to spare their child that moment. If you wish, there are links where you can read about this on the net. In any case, I know that your mother knew how much time and effort and love you put into visiting, and valued it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RYME said:

She wasn't alone.  Our Father takes care of His own.  Please Read.  Pay close attention to versus 6 and 7.

Are you sure? What about the other people dying in other parts of the world at the same time? Can God be in several places at one time? That must be really hard to do.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    RYME said:

Are you sure? What about the other people dying in other parts of the world at the same time? Can God be in several places at one time? That must be really hard to do.
    Well Santa delivers all those presents in one night, which is also hard.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:
    RYME said:

Well Santa delivers all those presents in one night, which is also hard.
    He has the reindeer to help 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    RYME said:

Off course he can.
    can any of you stop mocking other's beliefs for one second?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I just want to say that I mean what I said, I believe he can be everywhere.
  • Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Off course he can.

Oh. Well call me stupid then.

It's just hard to picture something being in multiple places at once... giving a dying person their undivided attention. Not to mention... observing the countless other unspeakable things that need to be noted... and listening to the countless prayers being uttered... and all those other things occurring simultaneously.

I guess this is what they call the 'leap of faith'. Questions that cannot be answered with any degree of logic are responded to with, "You must have faith."

In other words... "Hmmm. I'm not really too sure? Hey... just believe okay? Or you'll go to Hell. Do you want to burn in eternity? Didn't think so. Sooo... say your prayers. Oh... and don't forget your tithe!"
  • can any of you stop mocking other's beliefs for one second?

I did for a second. But after the second elapsed... I felt compelled to respond.

Some people believe Trump is making America great again. Some people believe there are pedophile sex rings on Mars. Some people believe you need to respond to gun violence with more guns.

In other words... for the betterment of society... some beliefs need to be challenged. Especially when they are cuckoo. 
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Off course he can.

It's just hard to picture something being in multiple places at once... giving a dying person their undivided attention. Not to mention... observing the countless other unspeakable things that need to be noted... and listening to the countless prayers being uttered... and all those other things occurring simultaneously.

I guess this is what they call the 'leap of faith'. Questions that cannot be answered with any degree of logic are responded to with, "You must have faith."

In other words... "Hmmm. I'm not really too sure? Hey... just believe okay? Or you'll go to Hell. Do you want to burn in eternity? Didn't think so. Sooo... say your prayers. Oh... and don't forget your tithe!"
    I’m absolutely not calling you stupid, I’m sorry if I upset you in any way, truly. 

• Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Off course he can.

I’m absolutely not calling you stupid, I’m sorry if I upset you in any way, truly. 

Anna... two things:

1. I disagree with your faith vehemently.
    2. I think you are a truly nice person and as much as I disagree with your beliefs... it takes nothing from my understanding of you as an exceptional human being (from what I have read of your posts). 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357

Many people who work in palliative/hospice care come to believe that a good number of individuals prefer to die alone. There are countless stories of people dying when their loved ones finally leave to get a bit to eat, a shower, what have you. There is a belief that this most often happens with parents and children, as if the parent wants to spare their child that moment. If you wish, there are links where you can read about this on the net. In any case, I know that your mother knew how much time and effort and love you put into visiting, and valued it. 

even flow-question mark, thank you for sharing. Your mother knew you loved her and were there for her.

oftenreading, that happened to a friend of mine. My friend literally sat at her mother's bedside 24/7 for a few weeks. The hospice workers finally persuaded my friend to go home, take a shower, and told my friend that they would keep her updated. My friend's mom died approximately 5 minutes after my friend headed home.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    edited February 2018

I did for a second. But after the second elapsed... I felt compelled to respond.

Some people believe Trump is making America great again. Some people believe there are pedophile sex rings on Mars. Some people believe you need to respond to gun violence with more guns.

In other words... for the betterment of society... some beliefs need to be challenged. Especially when they are cuckoo. 
    i absolutely agree when those beliefs run counter to something positive/progressive. but all ryme was doing was offering comfort. and then people turn around and mock him. it's gross. 

and it's one thing to offer something of value to counter what was said. it's another thing entirely to just outwardly mock that person with zero substance. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD