The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I never really got around to listening to Gord Downie's solo albums.... I'm currently listening to Coke Machine Glow which I don't recall listening to before.  I'm enjoying the fuck out of it, and wish I'd gone to see on of his solo shows when he played some festivals here a while back :(
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    there's a shitload of "rare" Hip songs. if anyone wants any, I can wetransfer any or all of them to you. 

Oh Honey (Men With Brooms soundtrack)
    Ultra Mundane (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Problem Bears (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Forest Edge (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    We Are The Next Us (spoken word to a drum beat the band gave away for free when they were inducted into the Music Hall of Fame)
    Night is for Getting (stand alone single on itunes, also a bonus track on some editions of In Between Evolution-also re-recorded by Gord for his record The Grand Bounce)
    Get Back Again (unreleased studio track)
    Hush (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Skeleton Park (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Black Day In July (Gordon Lightfoot tribute album)
    New Orleans Is Sinking (Live "Killer Whale Tank" version)
    Highway Girl (Live "Double Suicide" version)

and there's a whole lot more:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/unreleased.html

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hip opened the vault now that Gord has left us. 
    There was an article in the Toronto Sun (http://torontosun.com/entertainment/music/the-hip-must-go-on ) where they mentioned that the Hip were halfway through the recording of a new album and also have double album's worth of unreleased material. It would be great to see that stuff get released.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BR2428 said:
    there's a shitload of "rare" Hip songs. if anyone wants any, I can wetransfer any or all of them to you. 

Oh Honey (Men With Brooms soundtrack)
    Ultra Mundane (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Problem Bears (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Forest Edge (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    We Are The Next Us (spoken word to a drum beat the band gave away for free when they were inducted into the Music Hall of Fame)
    Night is for Getting (stand alone single on itunes, also a bonus track on some editions of In Between Evolution-also re-recorded by Gord for his record The Grand Bounce)
    Get Back Again (unreleased studio track)
    Hush (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Skeleton Park (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Black Day In July (Gordon Lightfoot tribute album)
    New Orleans Is Sinking (Live "Killer Whale Tank" version)
    Highway Girl (Live "Double Suicide" version)

and there's a whole lot more:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/unreleased.html

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hip opened the vault now that Gord has left us. 
    There was an article in the Toronto Sun (http://torontosun.com/entertainment/music/the-hip-must-go-on ) where they mentioned that the Hip were halfway through the recording of a new album and also have double album's worth of unreleased material. It would be great to see that stuff get released.
    saw that too. Bobby Baker is also in talks with Hugh Dillon (the real one) about a radio show, which would be super cool. the only thing I found discouraging was Bobby's comment "I don't want my future to be dictated by my past". I took that to mean that he was leaving the Hip stuff behind and moving on. I also found it very interesting the timing of a comment he made about Gord's solo career, that none of the other guys in the Hip, himself included, liked it because it, in the end, reflected on them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Saw Our Lady Peace last night and they dedicated a new song to Gord that was inspired by Raine’s first time seeing The Tragically Hip. Really cool song and cool tribute. Video doesn’t do it total justice (this isn’t my recording) but luckily someone recorded the moment. https://youtu.be/ql51Y5X243k
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    if anyone wants Hip live show bootlegs, go to www.hipbase.com. it is similar to pjbootlegs.com. dozens and dozens of live shows there spanning their entire career. @Thirty Bills Unpaid I'm assuming you know about this site?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• if anyone wants Hip live show bootlegs, go to www.hipbase.com. it is similar to pjbootlegs.com. dozens and dozens of live shows there spanning their entire career. @Thirty Bills Unpaid I'm assuming you know about this site?

I know of it, but don't access it (I just snooped around a bit).

While in the business of spreading information... in my stocking this year, I got a Gord Downie tribute magazine by Macleans. I've only skimmed through it, but the edition is certainly worth having for anyone interested.

Link: http://www.macleans.ca/culture/presenting-our-gord-downie-special-commemorative-issue/
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    if anyone wants Hip live show bootlegs, go to www.hipbase.com. it is similar to pjbootlegs.com. dozens and dozens of live shows there spanning their entire career. @Thirty Bills Unpaid I'm assuming you know about this site?

I know of it, but don't access it (I just snooped around a bit).

While in the business of spreading information... in my stocking this year, I got a Gord Downie tribute magazine by Macleans. I've only skimmed through it, but the edition is certainly worth having for anyone interested.

Link: http://www.macleans.ca/culture/presenting-our-gord-downie-special-commemorative-issue/
    thanks. Will check chapters to see if they still have it in stock. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

what's the matter with you people? how can you people not like The Hip???
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• what's the matter with you people? how can you people not like The Hip???

They're not cool.

Pure and simple.

Not. Freaking. Cool. At. All.

These people... they probably plug their nostrils when they sip beer too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246

I'm with you on that.

As a side note, back when you were looking for those Ian Thornley demos I wasn't a 10club member (had been for years, dropped it for a few and am back now) I tried to catch you on the hipbase forums.
    I am wired and fading...
    RoeDawg13 said:

I'm with you on that.

As a side note, back when you were looking for those Ian Thornley demos I wasn't a 10club member (had been for years, dropped it for a few and am back now) I tried to catch you on the hipbase forums.
    cool. do you happen to have those two alternate gord solo tracks? 11th fret (alternate) and christmastime in toronto. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RoeDawg13 said:

I'm with you on that.

cool. do you happen to have those two alternate gord solo tracks? 11th fret (alternate) and christmastime in toronto. 
    I'll look around when I get home from work. I know I used to, think I still may. Only mp3 if I do though
    I am wired and fading...
    I must have lost the mp3 files on the last hard drive crash years ago. I did some looking around and was able to find a friend who has the "Comes With a Smile" compilation so I can probably get a version of Christmastime in Toronto.
    I am wired and fading...
    I don't watch music award shows anymore, but I saw online this morning that Gord, to my surprise, was part of the Grammy's In Memoriam last night.

Nicely done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I saw Miss Emily in Toronto last week. Her latest album, which she recorded with Robbie and Gord S, came out in October. Her band here included Robbie, and damn, was it great seeing him on stage again. Great suit, too.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    RoeDawg13 said:

I'm with you on that.

Got my hands on the compilation CD today. I usually rip to FLAC these days as opposed to mp3 but I can do either. You have a preference?
    I am wired and fading...
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Thanks for the above link to hipbase, finally dug into it a bit, and think I found a copy of the show I was at for the Road Apples tour!  I'm now up to 6 "ticket shows"!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    RoeDawg13 said:
    RoeDawg13 said:

I'm with you on that.

Got my hands on the compilation CD today. I usually rip to FLAC these days as opposed to mp3 but I can do either. You have a preference?
    pm'd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I just gotta say,  Gord Downie's "Introduce Yerself" is sooo f*ckin' good!  It is an instant classic.  I really do not understand how it gets vitually no air play in Canada.  My guess is the stations don't feel the audience can handle the emotions or something.  Radio is sooo bland.  They played the Hip hits for days after Gord's passing, and then that was it.  No delving into anything new, or deeper.  I'm not surprised, just disappointed.  A Canadian Icon.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
    I just gotta say,  Gord Downie's "Introduce Yerself" is sooo f*ckin' good!  It is an instant classic.  I really do not understand how it gets vitually no air play in Canada.  My guess is the stations don't feel the audience can handle the emotions or something.  Radio is sooo bland.  They played the Hip hits for days after Gord's passing, and then that was it.  No delving into anything new, or deeper.  I'm not surprised, just disappointed.  A Canadian Icon.
    those songs don't fit the generic format of popular radio. you might hear it on cbc or something like that, but nothing mainstream. 

as Hugh Dillon sang in Binthiswayforyears, "do yourself a favour, turn off your radio"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I hear that! I do seem to be turning more and more things off as I get older.  CBC radio did do a decent tribute to Gord I seem to remember.

Barrie, ON '98
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
    those songs don't fit the generic format of popular radio. you might hear it on cbc or something like that, but nothing mainstream. 

as Hugh Dillon sang in Binthiswayforyears, "do yourself a favour, turn off your radio"
    I still haven't listened to all of it. Hurts too much.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:

I've been listening to more hip and Gord than ever. all depends how you process grief I suppose. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

On the album "bedtime" nearly breaks me down everytime.  Hits home as I have three kids.  What a beautifully written song.  But it makes me appreciate my kids all the more, reminds me how precious they are (because sometimes its tough having kids).  And then "My First Girlfriend" is a funny touching memory.  Your right, it does depend how you process grief.  For me it's cathartic.  

Barrie, ON '98
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • NWOntario said:

I've been listening to more hip and Gord than ever. all depends how you process grief I suppose. 

NWOntario said:

I've been listening to a ton of the Hip and Gord as well but haven't listened to the new album yet. There's that thought that I'd like to have something new to listen to at some point and this could be the last chance for that. I'm not ready to give in yet.
    I am wired and fading...
    RoeDawg13 said:
    NWOntario said:

NWOntario said:

I've been listening to a ton of the Hip and Gord as well but haven't listened to the new album yet. There's that thought that I'd like to have something new to listen to at some point and this could be the last chance for that. I'm not ready to give in yet.
    they have nearly 4 albums worth of unreleased material that will see the light of day when it's the right time. The Hip aren't done yet. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm listenening to a ton of Hip and non-Introduce Yerself Gord - it's just the final album that hurts too much.
    I'm congenitally unable to go more than a week without listening to Day for Night in its entirety. I could be alive without "Thugs," but, why?
    NWOntario said:
    I'm listenening to a ton of Hip and non-Introduce Yerself Gord - it's just the final album that hurts too much.
    I'm congenitally unable to go more than a week without listening to Day for Night in its entirety. I could be alive without "Thugs," but, why?
    i'm with you. @Thirty Bills Unpaid and I disagree on this. his choice is Fully. I say that Fully is a commercial masterpiece, but DFN is a creative masterpiece. I spun the shit out of that cd when it came out, the likes of which have only been compared with Ten and Nevermind. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

NWOntario said:
    i'm with you. @Thirty Bills Unpaid and I disagree on this. his choice is Fully. I say that Fully is a commercial masterpiece, but DFN is a creative masterpiece. I spun the shit out of that cd when it came out, the likes of which have only been compared with Ten and Nevermind. 
    I'll take this one controversial step further and argue that Fully Completely's overrated and one of the band's weaker albums. It's good, but (imo) doesn't hold a candle to Road Apples, Trouble at the Henhouse, Phantom Power, World Container, Now for Plan A, or Man Machine Poem. Of those, I'd only put Phantom Power anywhere close to Day for Night.
    I'm not knocking Fully Completely, but it's the Hip's Ten: good album, lotta hits, nowhere near their best. COME AT ME.
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I'll take this one controversial step further and argue that Fully Completely's overrated and one of the band's weaker albums. It's good, but (imo) doesn't hold a candle to Road Apples, Trouble at the Henhouse, Phantom Power, World Container, Now for Plan A, or Man Machine Poem. Of those, I'd only put Phantom Power anywhere close to Day for Night.
    I'm not knocking Fully Completely, but it's the Hip's Ten: good album, lotta hits, nowhere near their best. COME AT ME.
    hoooo boy. I do actually spin all of the others more than I do FC, but I think that's more of an overexposure thing than anything else. I really do think it is #2 for me. 

I actually find I'm listening to more of their live shows than studio work. Really digging the vocal improvs. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD