Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Broken Arrow (1996). My favorite album featuring Crazy Horse. Bias pulls it up to a five. Love the tone of it. Love Neils voice. Love the songs and the lyrics. Slip Away, Scattered and Music Arcade are amazing. And the B-side Interstate (from the Ragged Glory sessions) is a gem. 
    I love this album, despite being somewhat disjointed.  Maybe even because of that. And that long droning lengthy pounding section of "Loose Change" is pure heaven to my brain.  I've never heard the full explanation for the inclusion of the low-fi "Baby What You Want Me to Do" but it seems I'd read that he recorded that in a little bar out along La Honda Rd/Hwy 84.  I remember well going through that area on the way to the coast as a kid and on through my early twenties when I lived in the Bay Area.  I can't imagine Young doesn't miss living out there.  My wild-ass guess is this number was included as a tip of the hat to his local fans and friends. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited December 2017
    Broken Arrow is such an underrated record. You never hear it mentioned when Neil's best albums are discussed. 
    I admit it's not always the first one I reach for, but when I do it never disappoints 
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I must have watched the Hometown show half a dozen times in the last week. There's a beautiful innocence to it I feel. The mistakes actually improve the experience - that guy on that pedestal is human after all (and isn't afraid to show it)!

(Tim Rogers)
  • I missed bidding for one of his flannel shirts on the auction :( Or buy a harmonica for my dad.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited December 2017
    Popped in Broken Arrow on the way to work this morning 

Thanks for the inspiration @Spiritual_Chaos
  • goldrush said:
    I must have watched the Hometown show half a dozen times in the last week. There's a beautiful innocence to it I feel. The mistakes actually improve the experience - that guy on that pedestal is human after all (and isn't afraid to show it)!
    Why isn't it up on youtube :(

my2hands said:
    Popped in Broken Arrow on the way to work this morning 

Thanks for the inspiration @Spiritual_Chaos
    Nice What you think of it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I love Broken Arrow... i've spun it many times, just wanted to dust it off due to your inspiration
    goldrush said:
    Why isn't it up on youtube :(

Fingers crossed it's because he's going to release it soon :prayer:

If it does come out I hope it's exactly like it was live, including the stories and the mistakes and the shuffling around. I think Darryl Hannah did a great job directing it, and I hope nothing is cut from it

(Tim Rogers)
    I. Need. Tour. Dates.
    Once more because it's
    so
    darned
    GOOD!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLuuCYxw8fA

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    my2hands said:
    I. Need. Tour. Dates.
    Yep. I’ve still only seen him once and it was solo so I’d love a POTR show this year. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Bring on the dates!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited December 2017
    my2hands said:
    I. Need. Tour. Dates.
    Agreed.  This year was the first calendar year since 1998 that I didn't see any live Neil.  I am excited to see him next summer.

Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Fuck a friend wrote on Facebook "fucking hell" and a link to Neil Young - Pocahontas. 

Thought he had passed. Had to check here. I guess my friend was just angry at something...
    Fuck a friend wrote on Facebook "fucking hell" and a link to Neil Young - Pocahontas. 

Thought he had passed. Had to check here. I guess my friend was just angry at something...
    Weird that I'm reading this because for some reason the thought flashed through my head that... shit, I can't even say it. 

Would rather just say,

LONG LIVE NEIL YOUNG!  Long my he run!

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:
    Fuck a friend wrote on Facebook "fucking hell" and a link to Neil Young - Pocahontas. 

Weird that I'm reading this because for some reason the thought flashed through my head that... shit, I can't even say it. 

Would rather just say,

LONG LIVE NEIL YOUNG!  Long my he run!

We need Neil more now than ever.  Ditto:  LONG MAY HE RUN  and rock!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

At the end of 2016, I was worried because Neil had pulled out of his proposed Australia tour. Then came the withdrawal from the R&R HoF ceremony, and the underwhelming Children of Destiny...

But when it came to listing my albums of the year, Neil is at #2 and #5 for me. Hitchhiker is fantastic and, with the exception of CoD and the chorus of Already Great, I think The Visitor is a really, really strong record. 

Added to this, we had a blistering Farm Aid set, the wonderful Hometown concert, and the unveiling of The Archives.

In a year that didn't promise very much to begin with, Neil showed us exactly why he is still one of the very best.

Keep on rocking in the free world, Uncle Neil!

(Tim Rogers)

• Silver & Gold (1999). A nice and sweet album that sounds both personal and honest. Feels like a natural follow up to Comes A Time. Razor Love is one of Neils strongest songs, the title song is beautiful and Daddy Went Walkin' is cute. But the line "my software is not compatible with you" from the ending track Without Rings is the first sign of a decline in Neils lyrics. The albumcover was shot using a Game Boy Camera - I think that is the first and only connection between Neil and Nintendo.

• Are You Passionate (2002). I enjoy a more soulful Neil and AYP is smooth sounding. But at the same time, It's s balance act to not make it feel like It's being sung in an Everybody's Rockin'-type character with some of these lyrics. Let's Roll is a great song but maybe this is the wrong album for it. Goin' Home sounded like a classic from the first listen. Gateway of Love should have been included. At least I got to hear it on the 2001 European Tour - my first time seeing Neil.
    Just saw this on another site.  Some cool home video pf Neil and other members of Buffalo Springfield rehearsing for a reunion (that I believe was never pulled off):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWMGFnXHk44

• brianlux said:
    Just saw this on another site.  Some cool home video pf Neil and other members of Buffalo Springfield rehearsing for a reunion (that I believe was never pulled off):

Haha, there's a serial killer look to all of them in this clip. Had not seen that - damn cool! 

Had not heard the SIlver & Gold-version from 1983 either :O 

brianlux said:

Haha, there's a serial killer look to all of them in this clip. Had not seen that - damn cool! 

Had not heard the SIlver & Gold-version from 1983 either :O 

Some nice stuff there!

• jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I get excited for a second everytime I get an email from Sound Stage that says new vinyl release from Neil thinking it might be a Mirrorball reissue. Would this come out as part of the official release series or on it’s own?
  • jazzbo26 said:
    I get excited for a second everytime I get an email from Sound Stage that says new vinyl release from Neil thinking it might be a Mirrorball reissue. Would this come out as part of the official release series or on it’s own?
    Wasn't there a Mirrorball rerelase a few years back? 

Seems NY isn't consistent with his archives endeavour and numbering etc. That plan doesn't seem really thought out. 

Concert series. Special album series. Offical album series. Super concert series. Not part of the archives series. And this is concert number 1. Oh, wait I found an earlier one. This will be called 0. And wait, this has to be 0,5.
    edited January 2018
    jazzbo26 said:
    I would think it would be part of the Original Release Series. Harvest Moon is the only studio album that's been reissued on its own, outside the ORS, so far (plus the Decade compilation).

Assuming the vinyl box sets continue in the same way, there are probably 3 more to come before we get to Mirrorball. It could possibly be in a box with Unplugged, Sleeps With Angels, and Dead Man or Broken Arrow - which sounds like a pretty good box set to me!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    jazzbo26 said:
    I would think it would be part of the Original Release Series. Harvest Moon is the only studio album that's been reissued on its own, outside the ORS, so far (plus the Decade compilation).

Assuming the vinyl box sets continue in the same way, there are probably 3 more to come before we get to Mirrorball. It could possibly be in a box with Unplugged, Sleeps With Angels, and Dead Man or Broken Arrow - which sounds like a pretty good box set to me!
    Sold!
  • Will live stuff and the Dead Man soundtrack be included? I guess that Times Fades Away was, but Unplugged is a little bit different... maybe... 

A Sleeps with Angels, Mirrorball and Broken Arrow trilogy boxset would be crazy. 
    edited January 2018
    This is all just guesswork of course, but the box sets could run like this:

Hawks & Doves / Re-ac-tor / Trans / Everybody's Rockin'

Old Ways / Landing on Water / Life / This Note's for You

Eldorado EP / Freedom / Ragged Glory / Weld / Harvest Moon

Unplugged / Sleeps with Angels / Mirror Ball / Broken Arrow

The first two depend entirely on what deal Neil has with Geffen I guess. Will he be able to include the Geffen releases? Does he want to? Would many people buy them?

Live Rust was part of the third box so I don't see any reason why Weld wouldn't be included. Decade wasn't included, so Lucky Thirteen probably won't be either.

Journey Through The Past wasn't included so Where The Buffalo Roam and Dead Man probably won't, although Dead Man is the only Neil soundtrack that doesn't include other bands so who knows? 

If Unplugged isn't included, you could bump Harvest Moon into the Sleeps With Angels/Mirror Ball/Broken Arrow box - that would be a killer set!

Like I said, it's all guess work, but that's part of the fun with Neil!

(Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Neil, CAN WE GET SOME TOUR DATES, Brother?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Silver & Gold (1999). A nice and sweet album that sounds both personal and honest. Feels like a natural follow up to Comes A Time. Razor Love is one of Neils strongest songs, the title song is beautiful and Daddy Went Walkin' is cute. But the line "my software is not compatible with you" from the ending track Without Rings is the first sign of a decline in Neils lyrics. The albumcover was shot using a Game Boy Camera - I think that is the first and only connection between Neil and Nintendo.

Are You Passionate (2002). I enjoy a more soulful Neil and AYP is smooth sounding. But at the same time, It's s balance act to not make it feel like It's being sung in an Everybody's Rockin'-type character with some of these lyrics. Let's Roll is a great song but maybe this is the wrong album for it. Goin' Home sounded like a classic from the first listen. Gateway of Love should have been included. At least I got to hear it on the 2001 European Tour - my first time seeing Neil.
    Pretty much how I see the two as well, Spiritual.  Some great stuff on both but overall, not real strong LPs.  But what's good on them makes them keepers, definitely!