A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Im really doing everything possible and its not enough
    Keeping so busy . Going to the group. Trying to kerb my drinking. 
    I seriously can't do more yet im on the edge of the cliff again. 
    I swear i spend my life looking over the edge pulling away then looking over again if you know what i mean.
    Effort counts for nothing with this illness. 
    What am i afraid of?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • You only die once. Fact
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Im really doing everything possible and its not enough
    Keeping so busy . Going to the group. Trying to kerb my drinking. 
    I seriously can't do more yet im on the edge of the cliff again. 
    I swear i spend my life looking over the edge pulling away then looking over again if you know what i mean.
    Effort counts for nothing with this illness. 
    What am i afraid of?
    My heart goes out to you and I wish I could help you. I'm sending you best wishes to help you. Sounds like you are doing a lot. 

It would be good if you could step away from the cliff and remember all the important people in your life and how important you are to them, they need you in their life. 

Try to make yourself smile at least 5times today...Did you know a forced smile i.e. putting a pen in your mouth will lift your mood because you are smiling and your brain believes it...otherwise listen to Smile...
  • I listened to riot act a few times over made me have good vibes. But i had rum as well!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• So back to my DR this afternoon.
    I go regularly sometimes its great and worthwhile
    Mostly he just chats about current affairs . Makes me think either ... he KNOWs there is nothing wrong physically or he ASSUMES . Because he doesn't even remember if im on or off meds. 
    Nice man and i do trust him as much as a Health Anxiety sufferer can trust a dr.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• These are the unhelpful thinking styles....i recognise most of these in myself. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited November 2017
    I don't post here often but I have a Mum who suffers from health anxiety and the handout you shared is something I sent to her together with the above handouts. I was given all of these while on a mindfulness course. 

We were also recommended these guided meditations.

https://www.tarabrach.com/guided-meditations/

I wish you well.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I had anxiety really bad this morning.  It was triggered (no pun intended) by a neighbor firing off a few loud shots this morning.  As soon as I heard the shots I literally broke out in a cold sweat.  Happens every time.  I wish they'd take it to the range.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thanks chime.
    Brian im sure i would shit myself if someone let a gun off. But then again i live in a village north of london
     Not the done thing here!☺
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Anxiety is like falling while blindfolded. You know you're going to hit the ground, you just don't know when. So you brace yourself the entire time. 
    Today was a bad day. Very bad. But I reached out to trusted loved ones and it helped immensely. I also recommend music, exercise or stretching, meditation (or just a couple minutes of mindful breathing if that's all you can do), and a hug can do wonders. And of course, some kickass people here to give support. :hug:
  • I gave in to valium this morning
     It did nothing to change my symptoms and my fear. 
    All i want to do is eat/drink ive challenged myself to only drink on the weekend. I have managed into my 3rd week but fuck me could i break that today. I believe im dying so why  try
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• I found some pictures of me with famous people i met. Made me sad that i could see the man i used to be all be it at the time i was riddled with fear also but at least i lived back then.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I gave in to valium this morning
     It did nothing to change my symptoms and my fear. 
    All i want to do is eat/drink ive challenged myself to only drink on the weekend. I have managed into my 3rd week but fuck me could i break that today. I believe im dying so why  try
    Don't give in. I'll stay sober with you today. Deal?
  • Ok i will try again today. I have half bottle of rum staring at me. But i promise i will for today leave it there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2017
    Today when feeling anxious I thought to myself that I should embrace it, like give it a really great hug. For me that actually helped some.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    Today when feeling anxious I thought to myself that I should embrace it, like give it a really great hug. For me that actually helped some.
    That's not a bad idea, Anna!  I'm not always 100% able to see it like that but I do try to understand that anxiety is a part of who I am but not all of who I am, that it is one member of my "inner committee".  I acknowledge it, try not to be angry with it, but also try not to allow it to run the whole show.  

Ok i will try again today. I have half bottle of rum staring at me. But i promise i will for today leave it there
    Hang in there lastexit.  Good job leaving that bottle be today.    And remember you have friends here who care.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Thank you . It is great to drop in here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Thank you . It is great to drop in here
    Always!  :plus_one:

edited November 2017
    Ok i will try again today. I have half bottle of rum staring at me. But i promise i will for today leave it there
    I'm thinking of you and know that you can be strong for you....is the rum hidden out of view, sometimes that helps. 
    We are all here for you, lastexit, and we believe in you. :hug:
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • This is very kind thank you. Its 7pm here. I had valium today so im tired may just sleep. See  of i can not wake early hours again. Im done with today
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I'm thinking of you and know that you can be strong for you....is the run hidden out of view, sometimes that helps. 
    Sleep sounds like a good option. Is your partner there? Can you get a hug? 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I take Klonopin for my anxiety....works well, but it is very hard on the nervous system.
    I'm thinking of you and know that you can be strong for you....is the run hidden out of view, sometimes that helps. 
    This may sound weird, but when I had my panic attack yesterday, that's the first thing I did...went to my friends close by and collected hugs. It really did help. There's something about the pressure that actually relieves anxiety. I got the idea from Temple Grandin and her work with cows (just go with it, lol) and I believe is also the theory behind things like weighted blankets to calm autistic children. What I'm trying to say is hugs help. Humans help (not all, but enough). I'm glad you're reaching out. It takes courage. 
    And since I got this yesterday, I'm passing it forward to those who need it today.... :hug:

• She did just randomly come and hug me 
     Yes it does feel good.
    Thank you for the thoughts and vibes.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Whats with sleeping ok and waking feeling hungover and confused all the time. Fuck this
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Positive vibes to you dude.
    Are you able to remove the bottle(s) of rum from your house?
    Less tempting.
    I learned about health anxiety this year at university, wish there was more I could tell you to help. We just got taught the treatments available, not how to provide that treatment.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Less tempting.
    I learned about health anxiety this year at university, wish there was more I could tell you to help. We just got taught the treatments available, not how to provide that treatment.
    Can you explain it from an academic standpoint? I'm curious about things like the diagnosis criteria. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited November 2017
    Less tempting.
    Can you explain it from an academic standpoint? I'm curious about things like the diagnosis criteria. 
    Sure,
    Formerly known as "hypochondrias".
    Physical symptoms are either experienced or not experienced or are very mild but severe anxiety focused on the possibility of having or developing a serious disease.
    Shares many features with anxiety and mood disorders.
    Person misinterprets bodily symptoms as disease or illness.
    Person often goes to family physicians and remain unconvinced and unreassured when told they are healthy ("Disease conviction" a key feature of this disorder, the person is absolutely convinced they have a serious disease).
    Reassurances from numerous doctors have a short-term effect.
    Person is likely to demand unnecessary medical treatments.
    The focus is on the long-term process of an illness and disease rather than immediate symptom related catastrophes as seen in panic disorder where the person thinks they are having a heart attack.

Has a later age of onset because more physical health problems occur at a later age (with ageing) 
    Comorbidity with mood and anxiety disorders.
    Occurs in women more so, 2:1 ratio.
    Is chronic.

Causes include:
    Faulty interpretation of physical signs and sensations (disorders of cognition or perception with strong emotional contributions).
    Focusing attention on self increases arousal and makes the physical sensations seem more intense than they are.
    Enhanced perceptual sensitivity to illness cues even if cues are ambiguous.
    Causes similar to those in anxiety disorders.
    Runs in families (moderate genetic contributions)
    Learned from family members.
    In response to stressor (death or illness).
    Had a disproportionate incidence of disease in their family when they were children.
    Social, interpersonal influence - learning that being sick gets you attention (not suggesting OP is doing this)

Treatment options:
    Explanatory therapy for mild cases (clinician goes over the source and origin of symptoms).
    Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (focus on identifying and challenging illness-related misinterpretations of physical sensations and on showing patients how to create “symptoms” by focusing attention on certain body areas).
    Exposure Therapy - without avoidance and safety behaviours such as checking or seeking reassurance
    Medication (SSRIs)
    Reducing frequency of help-seeking behaviours
    Reassurance from therapist as well as education 

Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Thanks, TA. That was interesting. My mother always accused my grandmother of this....until she died because she really was sick. Just like I thought, it didn't match up. Man, I miss school!
    This may sound weird, but when I had my panic attack yesterday, that's the first thing I did...went to my friends close by and collected hugs. It really did help. There's something about the pressure that actually relieves anxiety. I got the idea from Temple Grandin and her work with cows (just go with it, lol) and I believe is also the theory behind things like weighted blankets to calm autistic children. What I'm trying to say is hugs help. Humans help (not all, but enough). I'm glad you're reaching out. It takes courage. 
    And since I got this yesterday, I'm passing it forward to those who need it today.... :hug:

That's SO cool that you point that out, RS!  I remember reading about (and seeing in the movie) how Temple Grandin used that pressure device for cows but forgot that she used it on herself but never made the connection with hugs.  Nice!