How should the world deal with the North Korean threat?

124»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think we should have our leader toss out schoolyard insults and taunts on the world stage.

Oh, is that what we did?? 
    Good.

:anguished:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Next step? Pee-filled water balloons. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I'd love to think just ignoring the little brat looking for negative attention would be the best thing to do (that's what all the books say about little brats seeking negative attention, right?) only this little brat could throw a fit that would leave more than scars. 

...and yet I still think ignoring the little brat might be the way to go.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    I'd love to think just ignoring the little brat looking for negative attention would be the best thing to do (that's what all the books say about little brats seeking negative attention, right?) only this little brat could throw a fit that would leave more than scars. 

problem is, a good majority, from my understanding, of his own people believe his propaganda and worship him and would follow him into nuclear holocaust. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    brianlux said:

problem is, a good majority, from my understanding, of his own people believe his propaganda and worship him and would follow him into nuclear holocaust. 
    Worship through fear and knowing nothing else.
    brianlux said:

No doubt many of the NK people fall for Jong-un's BS but surely there must be plenty of intelligent people who see otherwise.  I hope some day it will be like Germany.  How many Germans today miss the good old days when Adolph ran the show?  Some maybe, but most are horrified about that whole slice of their history.  I hope the people of NK will feel the same way some day.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No doubt many of the NK people fall for Jong-un's BS but surely there must be plenty of intelligent people who see otherwise.  I hope some day it will be like Germany.  How many Germans today miss the good old days when Adolph ran the show?  Some maybe, but most are horrified about that whole slice of their history.  I hope the people of NK will feel the same way some day.
    you can be as intelligent as you want, but without access to any other information, anything you think might actually be going on is conjecture at best, and dangerous to your life at worst. the fucking guy executes people found smuggling in hollywood movies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:

The thing is, Trump isn't some schoolyard bully. He's the President of the United States of America. The same rules do not apply.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

The thing is, Trump isn't some schoolyard bully. He's the President of the United States of America. The same rules do not apply.
    I was referring to Jong-up.  Trump isn't a little brat, he's more like a big bully.

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I was referring to Jong-up.  Trump isn't a little brat, he's more like a big bully.
    Oh I see.... Yeah, but as I said, Trump isn't a schoolyard bully. ;) As for Un...... well, maybe you have a point, but what does ignoring him mean? Remove all sanctions and pretend everything is fine? Wouldn't that mean that threatening to nuke the USA is a viable way to get what you want? Or does ignoring him mean keep all the sanctions and just not respond to anything he says and does? What about when one of these missiles actually hits something by accident or on purpose? Because with the sanctions in place, he has no intention of stopping what he's doing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Well those 51 tomahawk cruise missiles launched in Syria and the MOAB dropped in Afghanistan really turned the tide in those two countries. Maybe a tomahawk delivered MOAB for the Rocket Man?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • By calling him Rocket Man.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Oh I see.... Yeah, but as I said, Trump isn't a schoolyard bully. ;) As for Un...... well, maybe you have a point, but what does ignoring him mean? Remove all sanctions and pretend everything is fine? Wouldn't that mean that threatening to nuke the USA is a viable way to get what you want? Or does ignoring him mean keep all the sanctions and just not respond to anything he says and does? What about when one of these missiles actually hits something by accident or on purpose? Because with the sanctions in place, he has no intention of stopping what he's doing.
    Well, of course there's not way government can or will ignore Jong-un, but I'm thinking more along the lines of media outlets and we the public ignoring him- stop giving him the negative attention he craves.  But of course they, and we, will not do that either.  But I think it would be worth trying. 

As for sanctions, he has millions of peasant  slaves so I doubt sanctions are doing much.

edited September 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Well, of course there's not way government can or will ignore Jong-un, but I'm thinking more along the lines of media outlets and we the public ignoring him- stop giving him the negative attention he craves.  But of course they, and we, will not do that either.  But I think it would be worth trying. 

As for sanctions, he has millions of peasant  slaves so I doubt sanctions are doing much.

Here is a timely article about yet more sanctions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/09/21/trump-says-the-u-s-will-impose-new-sanctions-on-north-korea/?utm_term=.d768c156f238&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-world%2Bnation&wpmk=1

I do think sanction have a real impact on the regime and the nation's people.... but I also think that they probably make Un more dangerous, not less. But really, at the end of the day, Un cares about one thing: Holding power. If he truly feels that his regime is threatened, I think he will do literally anything, including a nuclear attack. He is not just some little brat. He is a true threat. He just needs to be pushed far enough. And Trump may do just that. Let's hope not.
    What I wonder is what would happen if all sanctions were lifted and everyone just let Un do his thing. I guess the real question is, what is everyone actually worried about? Is it the welfare of the North Korean people? I don't get that impression from anyone at all. Sanctions make them suffer even more than they would without them. Are they worried about Un attacking other nations as a stronger force than it can be now because of sanctions? Well maybe, but I'd love to see the detailed reasoning behind such a concern. Is Un really interested in aggressive expansion?? I don't know if I've seen anything to suggest that, but perhaps there is something that makes it a viable concern, i.e. for South Korea.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/09/21/trump-says-the-u-s-will-impose-new-sanctions-on-north-korea/?utm_term=.d768c156f238&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-world%2Bnation&wpmk=1

I do think sanction have a real impact on the regime and the nation's people.... but I also think that they probably make Un more dangerous, not less. But really, at the end of the day, Un cares about one thing: Holding power. If he truly feels that his regime is threatened, I think he will do literally anything, including a nuclear attack. He is not just some little brat. He is a true threat. He just needs to be pushed far enough. And Trump may do just that. Let's hope not.
    What I wonder is what would happen if all sanctions were lifted and everyone just let Un do his thing. I guess the real question is, what is everyone actually worried about? Is it the welfare of the North Korean people? I don't get that impression from anyone at all. Sanctions make them suffer even more than they would without them. Are they worried about Un attacking other nations as a stronger force than it can be now because of sanctions? Well maybe, but I'd love to see the detailed reasoning behind such a concern. Is Un really interested in aggressive expansion?? I don't know if I've seen anything to suggest that, but perhaps there is something that makes it a viable concern, i.e. for South Korea.

That hasn't been discussed much at all here and it really is an important part of the equation.  We've heard (here and elsewhere) negative remarks about the NK citizens who support the ridiculous Jong-un regime but seldom do we here of concerns over the fact that most of the people in NK are poor slave-like peasants.  They are the ones who are really getting screwed the worst in all this travesty.   

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

That hasn't been discussed much at all here and it really is an important part of the equation.  We've heard (here and elsewhere) negative remarks about the NK citizens who support the ridiculous Jong-un regime but seldom do we here of concerns over the fact that most of the people in NK are poor slave-like peasants.  They are the ones who are really getting screwed the worst in all this travesty.   
    I think so too, they are the ones trapped on the inside.
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I wonder what this distraction is really about? We're all glued to a pissing match, Meanwhile........?
  • donnaruhl said:
    I wonder what this distraction is really about? We're all glued to a pissing match, Meanwhile........?
    Criminal indictments are being prepared?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    JC29856 said:
    This we agree on

Que the Eisenhower speech
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    donnaruhl said:
    Meanwhile profits skyrocket........ 

Created fear and enemies have justified trillions upon trillions being wasted on weapons of war and "security"..... been going in a long time.... the boogeyman shifts, but the profiteers remain the same

North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho: "Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make all self-defensive counter measures, including the right to shoot down the United States strategic bombers at any time even when they are not yet inside the aerospace border of our country," Ri said.

WHOA. isn't that awesome. Trump's bullshit is basically going to annihilate how many innocent NK civilians if this escalates? And you know it's going to escalate. there's zero reason to believe Trump will take it down a notch. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2017
    If NK detonates an H-bomb in the Pacific like they've threatened to, we've all got a lot to worry about on the environmental/nuclear fallout side of things, let alone escalating tensions.
    PJ_Soul said:
    If NK detonates an H-bomb in the Pacific like they've threatened to, we've all got a lot to worry about on the environmental/nuclear fallout side of things, let alone escalating tensions.
    amazingly, I forgot about that threat. I just read about the implications. FUCK. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    Eh, how many nuclear tests have there been?  
    Many.
    One more isn't going to be a deal breaker.
    They could do 10 of this size and it wouldn't measure up to the Tzar Bombs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited September 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Eh, how many nuclear tests have there been?  
    Many.
    One more isn't going to be a deal breaker.
    They could do 10 of this size and it wouldn't measure up to the Tzar Bombs.
    Not the same man. What Un is currently threatening to do is dangerous as fuck (and there has been past testing that has caused great harm and deaths, FYI). Other tests have not been the same as what he's suggesting they'll do at all. It's all about how and where they conduct the testing, and the H-bomb is a whole other ball of wax too. See here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/09/north-korea-bomb-pacific-ocean/540825/

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho: "Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make all self-defensive counter measures, including the right to shoot down the United States strategic bombers at any time even when they are not yet inside the aerospace border of our country," Ri said.

WHOA. isn't that awesome. Trump's bullshit is basically going to annihilate how many innocent NK civilians if this escalates? And you know it's going to escalate. there's zero reason to believe Trump will take it down a notch. 
    What's truly amazing is that in almost every state, a statement made like that to another person is considered a felony level offense because it threatens the life of another. Yet, he can say it and our country can't even hold him accountable while he puts millions at risk. Pathetic.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

What's truly amazing is that in almost every state, a statement made like that to another person is considered a felony level offense because it threatens the life of another. Yet, he can say it and our country can't even hold him accountable while he puts millions at risk. Pathetic.
    I think they should give Trump the red button and let him push it.  But of course re-wire it to operate a trap door.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Skinnerian conditioning
    MATT DAMON! 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    edited September 2017
    More sanctions
    Im english and to me trump and kim jong un are both fuckin mentally deluded both handed a life from extreme wealth with no idea of reality . Can only end badly as both believe they are invincible. Sad state of affairs with no good outcome.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -