Options

How should the world deal with the North Korean threat?

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    How about a call for an actual treaty?? The US and South Korea stop naval and air excercusions and N Korea stops the ICBM tests. Oh, and we don't include underground tests in the deal so that won't force us to react if Kim explodes some nukes in his own country. This eliminates the threat to Japan and Europe, Kim keeps his nukes(toys) and the US is protected. Of course if N Korea breaks the treaty then war is justifiable because real peace was given a chance.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    the most informed historical perspective on North Korea and "how we got here" I've ever read.
    a must read

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/08/28/how-history-explains-the-korean-crisis/
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    edited September 2017
    OK friends, I don't mean to be a smart ass or a wise guy (well, maybe a little), but sometimes I think the whole North Korea thing is a joke.  People are freaking out about the danger NK poses to the rest of the world and yet I see an article like the one posted below and I wonder if it was supposed to be printed in The Onion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/16/world/asia/north-korea-kim-jong-un-missiles.html

Kim Jong-un vows equilibrium with U.S. military?  Ah huh, I see.  OK, well that's good for a laugh.

OH!  But they shot their furthest rocket (or was it wad?) yet- clear over the Island of Hokkaido, Japan.  That's gotta be getting awful close to... where is they are going to bomb?  L.A.?

Let's see just how close that is to the U.S. mainland:

OK, well SHIT! Now I'm really freaking out here.

Facepalm!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    OK friends, I don't mean to be a smart ass or a wise guy (well, maybe a little), but sometimes I think the whole North Korea thing is a joke.  People are freaking out about the danger NK poses to the rest of the world and yet I see an article like the one posted below and I wonder if it was supposed to be printed in The Onion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/16/world/asia/north-korea-kim-jong-un-missiles.html

Kim Jong-un vows equilibrium with U.S. military?  Ah huh, I see.  OK, well that's good for a laugh.

OH!  But they shot their furthest rocket (or was it wad?) yet- clear over the Island of Hokkaido, Japan.  That's gotta be getting awful close to... where is they are going to bomb?  L.A.?

Facepalm!

....but this time NK really means it, please ignore the previous 229 threats/lies. this time its real, this time they really mean it.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

....but this time NK really means it, please ignore the previous 229 threats/lies. this time its real, this time they really mean it.
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

....but, hey - you know....facts and stuff
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

....but, hey - you know....facts and stuff
    Looks to me like right now their best target is... themselves?  

The Taepodong-2 is not geared for carrying a ballistic missile and the KN-08/14 is only in development.  They may get there yet though, I suppose.  But by the time NK reaches equilibrium with U.S. military another era or two will have passed.

It's gotta suck, however,  being South Korean, Japanese or Chinese and having Kim Jong-un as your neighbor. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited September 2017
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

I agree with the point you're making here ..... But I doubt I'd feel the same way if I lived in Japan and actually had test missiles flying over my home, with sirens going off and everyone having to take cover.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

I agree with the point you're making here ..... But I doubt I'd feel the same way if I lived in Japan and actually had test missiles flying over my home, with sirens going off and everyone having to take cover.
    Without a doubt which is why I said, "It's gotta suck, however,  being South Korean, Japanese or Chinese and having Kim Jong-un as your neighbor.".  I would hate to live close to NK!

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

Without a doubt which is why I said, "It's gotta suck, however,  being South Korean, Japanese or Chinese and having Kim Jong-un as your neighbor.".  I would hate to live close to NK!
    we have a few people there too:
    As of 2013, there are approximately 50,000 U.S. military personnel stationed in Japan, along with approximately 40,000 dependents of military personnel and another 5,500 American civilians employed there by the United States Department of Defense. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

As of 2013, there are approximately 50,000 U.S. military personnel stationed in Japan, along with approximately 40,000 dependents of military personnel and another 5,500 American civilians employed there by the United States Department of Defense. 
    Ya, they're everywhere!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

Ya, they're everywhere!
    except orgy island, not even secret service are allowed there.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:

Facepalm!

Ya, they're everywhere!
    except orgy island, not even secret service are allowed there.
    With, perhaps, one exception?

http://www.wnd.com/2016/11/source-fbi-has-evidence-hillary-visited-orgy-island/

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    well clearly, we should just wipe NK off the face of the earth, as Trump just suggested to the fucking UN. what a supreme fucking idiot. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    well clearly, we should just wipe NK off the face of the earth, as Trump just suggested to the fucking UN. what a supreme fucking idiot. 
    apparently that's populism
  • Options
    well clearly, we should just wipe NK off the face of the earth, as Trump just suggested to the fucking UN. what a supreme fucking idiot
    Him and all the others that have no clue as to what it would take to blow up that much land mass/people/plants and animals off the face of the planet.  And even if we were capable of doing that, the results would be catastrophic world-wide.  Lame thinking, for sure!

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    "Rocket Man" 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    "Rocket Man" 
    Indeed!

• Options
    I wonder how Elton John feels about all this?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Kim done fucked up now that Donnie is handing out nicknames.  Game over, man.  We have all witnessed how the careers of Crooked Hilary, Lying Ted, and Little Marco ended up ... right in the trash pile.  He might as well put up the "for sale" sign.  
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Or a deliberate distraction from the Mueller investigation and the forthcoming indictment of Manafort. The end is nye.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Urge China to take intervene
    Jason P said:
    Kim done fucked up now that Donnie is handing out nicknames.  Game over, man.  We have all witnessed how the careers of Crooked Hilary, Lying Ted, and Little Marco ended up ... right in the trash pile.  He might as well put up the "for sale" sign.  
    You know....I thought the same thing.  And the reality is....it's worked for him up to this point.  Scary
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I would think that Un would be very pleased with the new nickname. Rocket Man... not bad at all. That's exactly when Un wants to be. Trump may have done him a favour.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    post of the day!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    JC29856 said:
    Or a deliberate distraction from the Mueller investigation and the forthcoming indictment of Manafort. The end is nye.

Bill Nye?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Build a Trump Tower there and let Kim live in the penthouse. Short of that I have no idea.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    Send Colin Kaepernick and Michael Bennett

• Options
    JC29856 said:

Bill Nye?
    The science guy?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

"We burned down every town in North Korea... we killed off twenty percent of the population" - US General Curtis LeMay