The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    going to see Long Time Running with my wife tomorrow after sushi. looking forward to it. just found out though that it's also going to be on TV commercial free in a month or two. oh well, date night! 
    Looking forward to seeing it myself but will likely have to wait for a blu-ray release here in the US.  Really wish they would just release the final concert in full!
    Maybe one day they will, but some fine people out there in internet land intercepted the satellite feed of that show.  There's a giant 40 gig full on mega awesome HD quality copy of the show circling around the internet.    If they never release the Kingston show in its entirely, at least it's out there :)
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    went to see LTR at the local theatre last night and it was so good.....excellent behind the scenes perspective on what Gord and the band themselves were going through last summer....gave me even more of an appreciation for the fact I was able to catch the Hamilton show and a beaming sense of pride for what they represent as a musical backdrop and lifeline to my Canadian heritage......Gord is one of the great poets of our generations and I am so grateful to have seen them live and have met them on a number of occassions.....the Hip's grace and humility and total respect for one another epitomizes the true meaning of a "family band"
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    PJ_Soul said:
    going to see Long Time Running with my wife tomorrow after sushi. looking forward to it. just found out though that it's also going to be on TV commercial free in a month or two. oh well, date night! 
    Looking forward to seeing it myself but will likely have to wait for a blu-ray release here in the US.  Really wish they would just release the final concert in full!
    Will it not be on Netflix in the US?
    Saw an article saying that it will be on Netflix in the US on November 26th. 
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    BR2428 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Will it not be on Netflix in the US?
    Saw an article saying that it will be on Netflix in the US on November 26th. 
    Awesome, that is good to hear
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I gotta say, i was a bit disappointed with the doc. I wasn't expecting so much live footage. I thought it was going to be more in depth of a documentary, not just some sound bites with mostly live video. But it was still good. I was also amazed how few people were in the theatre. We went on Friday, which I think was opening night. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ahh, so it's more a concert video than a documentary (which I suspect the upcoming PJ one will be like)?.   I'm not surprised theatre's aren't filled out.   I don't think live concert video's really draw that many people out.. especially when you can watch it at home for free in the very near term (which is why I didn't go).  Let's Play Two will be the first time i've gone to a theatre to see a music film, and it only has a single screening..... I think the hip has multiple screenings?

I am looking forward to it.   I was at the first show of the tour and the energy in the arena was insane.   No one knew was to expect.   The crowd was insanely energetic and emotional.  I'm hoping there's some footage of the show in the doc.
    Zod said:
    Ahh, so it's more a concert video than a documentary (which I suspect the upcoming PJ one will be like)?.   I'm not surprised theatre's aren't filled out.   I don't think live concert video's really draw that many people out.. especially when you can watch it at home for free in the very near term (which is why I didn't go).  Let's Play Two will be the first time i've gone to a theatre to see a music film, and it only has a single screening..... I think the hip has multiple screenings?

I am looking forward to it.   I was at the first show of the tour and the energy in the arena was insane.   No one knew was to expect.   The crowd was insanely energetic and emotional.  I'm hoping there's some footage of the show in the doc.
    i'd say it's about 2/3 live and 1/3 interviews. 

what was the first show? Victoria? if so, yes, there is footage of that show. Looks like a really nice small room. The only place that really got the shaft in the doc was Winnipeg. They showed multiple songs from Toronto, Vancouver, and footage of the nation-wide screenings of the kingston show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

gord didn't attend the TIFF opening. My dad said he heard he was too sick. brain tumour related, or flu?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    gord didn't attend the TIFF opening. My dad said he heard he was too sick. brain tumour related, or flu?
    I'm assuming it's related to the tumour - he doesn't look so good these days obviously - but I doubt this is actually info we have access to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm assuming it's related to the tumour - he doesn't look so good these days obviously - but I doubt this is actually info we have access to.
    one nice thing about being a celebrity in canada......you can still maintain some privacy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:

what was the first show? Victoria? if so, yes, there is footage of that show. Looks like a really nice small room. The only place that really got the shaft in the doc was Winnipeg. They showed multiple songs from Toronto, Vancouver, and footage of the nation-wide screenings of the kingston show. 
    Yah Victoria was the first show.  Our Arena is pretty small.   I think it only holds something like 6000 or 7000 people.   It's a minor hockey arena.   It's why Pearl Jam never plays here (it's too small)   The Hip show was the first time I'd seen a band utilize the enter bowl.  Kind of like what Pearl Jam does in the bigger markets where they sell the tickets behind the stage too.  It was pretty awesome.

This year I saw Elton John and he also sold the entire bowl, so I think the hip started something here.   Maybe we can a few more bands to play here by selling those extra tickets :)
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Yah Victoria was the first show.  Our Arena is pretty small.   I think it only holds something like 6000 or 7000 people.   It's a minor hockey arena.   It's why Pearl Jam never plays here (it's too small)   The Hip show was the first time I'd seen a band utilize the enter bowl.  Kind of like what Pearl Jam does in the bigger markets where they sell the tickets behind the stage too.  It was pretty awesome.

This year I saw Elton John and he also sold the entire bowl, so I think the hip started something here.   Maybe we can a few more bands to play here by selling those extra tickets :)
    Yea that show was amazing. They've actually used the whole arena multiple times in the past for big shows.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    @PJ_Soul and @demetrios all of Gord Downie's solo records are now available on vinyl at www.gorddownie.com, including his new one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    @PJ_Soul and @demetrios all of Gord Downie's solo records are now available on vinyl at www.gorddownie.com, including his new one. 
    Thanks!
    No problem! Theres another guy on here, big Hip head who is always searching for vinyl, but cant tecall his name. Any idea?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Cool, thanks! I really dig his solo stuff - I only just discovered it in the past year; before then I wasn't even conscious of the fact that he did solo albums, derp.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    went to preorder the cd. $12.99 for the disc. double that with shipping. no regular mail option, only fedex. brutal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    went to preorder the cd. $12.99 for the disc. double that with shipping. no regular mail option, only fedex. brutal. 
    Same amount for shipping an LP ($12.46), but there are 3 options, and none of them are FedEx. They're all Canada Post. That IS brutal, that they are charging the same amount for a CD as they are an LP. That is a reasonable price for a record, but somewhat outrageous for a CD, and I don't understand why they'd use FedEx for CDs only, since it's more expensive ..... Hey, at least it's still a lot cheaper than ordering anything from the 10C.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I loved Long Time Running. I found it dustier in that theatre than at any of the five shows I saw in 2016, including Kingston. I choked up during "Blow at High Dough," of all things, and it was downhill from there.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    so sad for all who knew and loved him. RIP Gord. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

STATEMENT

October 18, 2017

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming – his response was to spend this precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• A good guy.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    A good guy.
    One of the best.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited October 2017
    there's a shitload of "rare" Hip songs. if anyone wants any, I can wetransfer any or all of them to you. 

Oh Honey (Men With Brooms soundtrack)
    Ultra Mundane (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Problem Bears (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    Forest Edge (Hip Club Bonus track with In Violet Light)
    We Are The Next Us (spoken word to a drum beat the band gave away for free when they were inducted into the Music Hall of Fame)
    Night is for Getting (stand alone single on itunes, also a bonus track on some editions of In Between Evolution-also re-recorded by Gord for his record The Grand Bounce)
    Get Back Again (unreleased studio track)
    Hush (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Skeleton Park (We Are The Same bonus track)
    Black Day In July (Gordon Lightfoot tribute album)
    New Orleans Is Sinking (Live "Killer Whale Tank" version)
    Highway Girl (Live "Double Suicide" version)

and there's a whole lot more:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/unreleased.html

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hip opened the vault now that Gord has left us. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I know we knew this was coming; I'd spent most of the past 17 months wondering how I'd react when it did.
    And I think the best word to describe it is: drained. I feel drained. I feel nothing and everything. I feel like I've lost a best friend who I never actually met. I feel lost knowing we may never hear new Gord music after next week (as if it's coming next week), yet find myself strangely comforted by listening to the Hip on an endless loop since Wednesday. I have no idea if this makes sense. But fuck if this isn't hard.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just thought I'd share a couple live things I accumulated over the years.  I only saw them once at the Ontario Place Forum (the rotating stage!) during the Road Apples tour, but that show still stands out in my memory as one of the best I've seen (another on that list is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1995).

Let me know if there's any issues with the link, it's a couple/few hundred MB, enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40p9dwibxdefqvl/AADOSvJXnpRfDD4yrX9E49Z0a?dl=0
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    can't wait to check this out when I get home. Thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

NWOntario said:
    I know we knew this was coming; I'd spent most of the past 17 months wondering how I'd react when it did.
    And I think the best word to describe it is: drained. I feel drained. I feel nothing and everything. I feel like I've lost a best friend who I never actually met. I feel lost knowing we may never hear new Gord music after next week (as if it's coming next week), yet find myself strangely comforted by listening to the Hip on an endless loop since Wednesday. I have no idea if this makes sense. But fuck if this isn't hard.
    I called my local record shop last Tuesday to put a copy of Introduce Yerself on hold. glad I did. it's going to sell out for sure now. 

Friday after work I turned on their War Child show from 2000 in Winnipeg, which i was at, and was professionally filmed, on youtube. I started crying. 

I have been listening to Hip/Gord nonstop since the news. I completely understand and feel what you are feeling. Many of us are. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just finished watching That Night In Toronto, and just wow (I already had the audio, but this brought it to a whole other level, as is usually the case).  To be honest, I almost hope their last show doesn't get an official video release so that we're left with documents like this of the band (and Gord especially) in their prime.

For those that don't have this yet, I stumbled across it at Walmart the other day for $10 Canadian, a steal at that price, in my opinion.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022