The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Did a little salmon action ourselves tonight. Crisped up the skin then popped it in the oven with a horseradish, Dijon, lemon topping
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Salad
    Romaine hearts, onion, sweet pepper, yellow cherry tomatoes, some of that Manchego cheese, and good old Hidden Valley ranch dressing with a Bertie double yolk fried egg chopped on top.

That Manchego is going to be a new favorite for sure.  Reminds me of Asiago.
    I'll pair it with Jack or quesa fresca to add some sharpness to their creamy meltygooeyness the same way I pair Asiago or Romano with mozzarella.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My god, I love the classic Hidden Valley Ranch.

Horseradish sauce too.  Some of that on a beef dip sandwich?  Get outta here.

And crispy salmon skin!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    Salad
    Romaine hearts, onion, sweet pepper, yellow cherry tomatoes, some of that Manchego cheese, and good old Hidden Valley ranch dressing with a Bertie double yolk fried egg chopped on top.

I'll pair it with Jack or quesa fresca to add some sharpness to their creamy meltygooeyness the same way I pair Asiago or Romano with mozzarella.
    Manchego is one of my favorites. I usually use it in my Fifty Dollar Mac & Cheese.
    rgambs said:
    Salad

Manchego is one of my favorites. I usually use it in my Fifty Dollar Mac & Cheese.
    Tell me about this Macnchee.
    Does it have Fontina in it?  
    What glorious company does the Manchego keep in this esteemed organisation of flavors?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I made brownies, and I substituted applesauce for butter, and instead of three entire eggs, I used one entire egg, and two egg whites. I added a pinch of ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Very good. I may add a pinch of ground ginger to all chocolate stuff. It's not enough for a ginger flavor, but it brightens the dense chocolateness. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    Salad

Awesome!  I have a macnchee I call my Under a Hundred Mac N Cheese.
    The 7-8 cheeses makes the cost really pile up. 
    Made the mistake of cooking for my Brother in Law's family in San Diego years ago.  Every Thanksgiving thereafter (when we still lived in SoCal) I would be asked to make it.  While flattering, the logistics of cooking and transporting 2 hours/heating up in a kitchen where the whole meal is being cooked?  Took some working out.
    May have made it one time since moving back east 5 years ago.
    Shit is sooo good, though.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    rgambs said:
    Salad

Made the mistake of cooking for my Brother in Law's family in San Diego years ago.  Every Thanksgiving thereafter (when we still lived in SoCal) I would be asked to make it.  While flattering, the logistics of cooking and transporting 2 hours/heating up in a kitchen where the whole meal is being cooked?  Took some working out.
    Dude, a few years ago I made Cioppino for my wife's family on Christmas Eve which is a huge to-do with a ton of people.  I am stuck making it forever for like 20 people.  Soooooo expensive and yes, a pain in the ass to cook and transport given you want the broth simmering and different types of seafood need to go in at different times.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Salad

Tell me about this Macnchee.
    Does it have Fontina in it?  
    What glorious company does the Manchego keep in this esteemed organisation of flavors?

rgambs said:
    Salad

The usual suspects are:

Manchego - rich & piquant
    Fontina - earthy & nutty
    Muenster - sweet
    Smoked Gruyere - smokey & salty
    6-8 year aged cheddar - bitter

All hand-grated of course and start with a standard bechamel sauce.  And I always use campanelle pasta as its shape is intended for thick sauces and casseroles. 
    Cioppino is the food version of one of life's ultimate beauties.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    Salad

Dude, a few years ago I made Cioppino for my wife's family on Christmas Eve which is a huge to-do with a ton of people.  I am stuck making it forever for like 20 people.  Soooooo expensive and yes, a pain in the ass to cook and transport given you want the broth simmering and different types of seafood need to go in at different times.
    You need to come up with a reason not to make it one year, and make something else that is badass but much cheaper/easier.  Claim it as your new tradition.

Mac & Cheese sounds good, Dyer.
    Mine has:
    Yellow cheddar
    Extra sharp white cheddar
    Mozzarella
    Asiago
    Monterey Jack
    Muenster
    And...some Velveeta.  (Only time I use the stuff, it works well for this.)
    High quality on the cheeses.  (Except the Velveeta -- it is what it is)

I use Fusilli, for the same reason you use campanelle --- it has lots of surface area to pick up the cheese.  And, because of Cosmo.
    Lots of eggs (a dozen for the base)

Saw it years ago on TV and jumped all over it.

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Fusilli Jerry!  :smiley:
    edited August 2017
    tonight I have a date with simplicity.
    • a 4 pound, organic, whole chicken
    • a lemon
    • 5-6 garlic cloves
    • small amount of olive oil
    • salt
    • pepper
    • cast iron skillet
    • oven

Doesn't get much easier and it is fucking grinding.  Cook a head of broccoli, some beans, and make a salad.

Question for The Food Thread:
    What are some of the most basic, yet delicious, things you like to eat?
    • a lemon
    • 5-6 garlic cloves
    • salt
    • pepper
    • cast iron skillet
    • oven

Doesn't get much easier and it is fucking grinding.  Cook a head of broccoli, some beans, and make a salad.

Well, that chicken sounds like the perfect answer to your question.

Me - being the culinary artiste that I am :joker:- simple scrambled eggs are always a go-to.  Salt, pepper, maybe a little cream cheese.  And, fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and asparagus.  Good old comfort food.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    hedonist said:
    • a lemon
    • 5-6 garlic cloves
    • salt
    • pepper
    • cast iron skillet
    • oven

Well, that chicken sounds like the perfect answer to your question.

Me - being the culinary artiste that I am :joker:- simple scrambled eggs are always a go-to.  Salt, pepper, maybe a little cream cheese.  And, fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and asparagus.  Good old comfort food.
    cream cheese in scrambled eggs?!  How does that taste?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    It's good, gruff!  Not too much; just a bit brings a nice creaminess.
    hedonist said:
    It's good, gruff!  Not too much; just a bit brings a nice creaminess.
    I have to try it!!!!
    rgambs said:
    Salad

You need to come up with a reason not to make it one year, and make something else that is badass but much cheaper/easier.  Claim it as your new tradition.

Mac & Cheese sounds good, Dyer.
    Mine has:
    Yellow cheddar
    Extra sharp white cheddar
    Mozzarella
    Asiago
    Monterey Jack
    Muenster
    And...some Velveeta.  (Only time I use the stuff, it works well for this.)
    High quality on the cheeses.  (Except the Velveeta -- it is what it is)

I use Fusilli, for the same reason you use campanelle --- it has lots of surface area to pick up the cheese.  And, because of Cosmo.
    Lots of eggs (a dozen for the base)

Saw it years ago on TV and jumped all over it.

I'm thinking we should open a Mac & Cheese restaurant!
    Scrambled eggs can be made many ways.  Please do not overcook!  :)
    There are mac n cheese food trucks out here.  Haven't partaken, yet - but have heard good things about some.

F Me, hell yeah!  I do mine on low-ish heat, stir them around a bit with a wood spatula, then remove from heat.  They end up non-runny (yuck) yet nice and soft.
    I eat whipped eggs literally every day! Sometimes scrambled, sometimes omeletted, usually more frittata style.
    I "overcook" them often, because I like a nice firm egg to bite into.
    I grew up eating a ton of powdered eggs on camping trips and it tainted my taste preference.  What most people consider to be the perfect fluffy consistency reminds me of powdered eggs and I steer clear.
    The day fresh eggs more than make up for the flavor lost in the last bit of cooking.
    Sometimes I make them fluffy for the old lady, but she likes firm too.

No milk, no water.
    I eat whipped eggs literally every day! Sometimes scrambled, sometimes omeletted, usually more frittata style.
    I "overcook" them often, because I like a nice firm egg to bite into.
    I grew up eating a ton of powdered eggs on camping trips and it tainted my taste preference.  What most people consider to be the perfect fluffy consistency reminds me of powdered eggs and I steer clear.
    The day fresh eggs more than make up for the flavor lost in the last bit of cooking.
    Sometimes I make them fluffy for the old lady, but she likes firm too.

No milk, no water.
    Nothing like coming home to a pot full of sauce and meatballs. 

Meatballs rule!
    I bet it smells amazing.

Are they baked/fried first, or cooked in the sauce?
    hedonist said:
    I bet it smells amazing.

Are they baked/fried first, or cooked in the sauce?
    cooked in the sauce.  They were amazing!
    Kids had meatball parm sandwiches and I had meatballs, sauce and locatelli in a bowl.  
    • a lemon
    • 5-6 garlic cloves
    • salt
    • pepper
    • cast iron skillet
    • oven

The wife and I do a ton of seafood during the week. Needs so little and is super quick. A good piece of fish, anything from halibut to salmon and some garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. So easy and delicious.

Some good greens and fresh veggies to go along with it

Also. Cacio e Pepe. Lots and lots of Cacio e Pepe
    Just had a couple slices of Brie with some truffle honey. Fucking a.
    I wish I liked truffles...but I don't =)

I also wish my husband liked seafood as much as I.

Have you ever cooked fish with the parchment paper method?  I keep meaning to try that.
    edited August 2017
    hedonist said:
    I wish I liked truffles...but I don't =)

I also wish my husband liked seafood as much as I.

Have you ever cooked fish with the parchment paper method?  I keep meaning to try that.
    I can't stand mushrooms. I'll eat them in fancy (or otherwise delicious aside from the mushroom) dishes when I am out but hate them so much. I. Fucking. Love. Truffles. Though.

I have not. I have had it out but have not done it myself. Interested in fish in the sous vide as well. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on