America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    I disagree highly with both.  Obviously.
    Why?  SCOTUS sided with states' rights to regulate fire-arms.  Should they be regulated at the Federal level instead?
    And unsung has already made clear his membership in the Illinois militia. So when is it a state issue, and when is it a federal issue?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It is a permission slip for something that is not supposed to require permission.

I could almost get behind the felon issue.  But what if the crime is non-violent?  What if they served their time?  People make mistakes, people are wrongfully convicted, people also lose gun rights based on accusations in some states, some politicians even want to ban purchase based on an arbitrary do not fly list with no due process.  This is not what a free country does.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    For the record I also support reinstating one's right to vote upon completion of their punishment.
  • unsung said:
    It is a permission slip for something that is not supposed to require permission.

I could almost get behind the felon issue.  But what if the crime is non-violent?  What if they served their time?  People make mistakes, people are wrongfully convicted, people also lose gun rights based on accusations in some states, some politicians even want to ban purchase based on an arbitrary do not fly list with no due process.  This is not what a free country does.
    Well... worse case scenario: they don't have a gun to go shoot shit with at the gun range or landfill.

Don't expect the benefit of the law when you can't comply with it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    At some point a person should have paid their debt.
    Free countries limit access to weapons all the time. The US already does. 
    Um, freedom means no limits.  No permission.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    So convicted felons should be able to legally purchase a gun?
    unsung said:
    You bring up a good point about the defintion of freedom. Like a lot of things, it falls on a continuum. As Americans, we call ourselves 'free' often. We're a group that likes to be free to say and do certain things we consider free. There's also a subjective freedom that I think other countries do a better job of. Greater ability to move up economically, greater mobility, a greater sense of emotional security and less despair/struggle. I think this subjective freedom can be more important than the freedom to do certain things. 
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    So convicted felons should be able to legally purchase a gun?
    Have you read what I said?
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited June 2017
    unsung said:
    Eh you do realise that this is ridiculous? No limits implies not having to live by any rules at all. Are you one of those people who basically wants to do away with any kind of law and order precided over by government?
    LOL, you must be new here.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    No, no matter how long I'm here I'll never understand the twisted relationship some Americans seem to have with their country, their government and even their fellow Americans
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:
    actually, freedom is protected by limits and laws.  what you stated is Chaos:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/chaos

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    fife said:
    unsung said:
    actually, freedom is protected by limits and laws.  what you stated is Chaos:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/chaos

Totally. With no limits, only the nasty bullies have freedom.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2017
    CM189191 said:
    Know how I can tell this graph is bullshit?  It states that less than 40% of Texas households have guns, lol.  How exactly would one come up with an accurate gun ownership by household percentage?  Most Texans I know would never answer "yes" to a survey asking if they own guns...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/foghorn/debunking-mother-jones-10-pro-gun-myths-shot/
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    That doesn't prove the graph is bullshit. Try again.
    edited June 2017
    Merely posting a graph does not mean it is accurate either.  I'm just saying that I find it hard to believe that fewer than 40% of Texas homes have guns...not proving bullshit...just calling bullshit.  Once again, I do not know ANY gun owners or gun rights supporters that would answer "yes" to ownership on any questionnaire. Gun owners that support gun control may, but that's a pretty select audience.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    Merely posting a graph does not mean it is accurate either.  I'm just saying that I find it hard to believe that fewer than 40% of Texas homes have guns...not proving bullshit...just calling bullshit.  Once again, I do not know ANY gun owners or gun rights supporters that would answer "yes" to ownership on any questionnaire. Gun owners that support gun control may, but that's a pretty select audience.
    "Gun owners that support gun control .......that's a pretty select audience". 

Well, right from the horse's mouth. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJPOWER said:

It's true.  Did anyone doubt that most gun owners probably do not fall in the gun control crowd?  I guess I should have said "democrat gun owners" to be more specific.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJPOWER said:
    I've never known a gun owner (including myself) who doesn't tout that they own guns.  The point of the graph is not to try to make you believe only 40% of Texas households own guns, it's to show.. well, it's the title of the damn graph. I know you can read.
    edited June 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    I've never known a gun owner (including myself) who doesn't tout that they own guns.  The point of the graph is not to try to make you believe only 40% of Texas households own guns, it's to show.. well, it's the title of the damn graph. I know you can read.
    Touting to your friends is different than opting to answer a survey.  Many gun owners are skeptical of such data collection and see their gun ownership as a private matter.  The survey is to show that the most heavily armed states are the ones that have the most gun violence, but inaccurate data kinda undermines the legitimacy of such claims.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    dignin said:
    That is some fearful, hateful,  ignorant bull$!#& right there.
    Surprised she didn't  say "oh no here comes that Kenya  Muslim Obama  and his U.N. troops to take away your guns"!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dignin said:
    That's fucking ridiculous

Snowflakes afraid of a few protests? Lol 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

It's true.  Did anyone doubt that most gun owners probably do not fall in the gun control crowd?  I guess I should have said "democrat gun owners" to be more specific.

Well, there's the contingent that insists that gun owners are reasonable folks who would be happy to have reasonable restrictions on guns and that only a fringe group opposes them. Seems that, according to you, that's not true.
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:

Is that what you call burning buildings, protests?  Sounds like she is just calling to fight fire with fire.  These "protesters" may want to read up on the Castle Doctrine a bit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

my2hands said:
    dignin said:

I particularly liked how she complained about using the media to push a message.....

And how horrible that that message is anti-racism.
This discussion has been closed.