Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I'm legitimately surprised this one resulted in any punishment (pending appeal, I'd suspect)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22228326/man-guilty-manslaughter-death-ex-nfl-player

You'd think some kind of Stand your Ground thing would have gotten him off.  Some racist turd is going to win an election in Louisiana campaigning on this.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Family of Teen Killed In Kentucky School Shooting Raced to Scene Just In Time To Say Goodbye - People https://apple.news/AJXkF5zl8Q-64jtnm4gJRIg

I think we should at least post stories of the victims & their families and what they have to deal with ..
    These kinds of shootings are only happening here in this country...we have a gun problem until gun advocates start admitting it we will never fix it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,111
    Family of Teen Killed In Kentucky School Shooting Raced to Scene Just In Time To Say Goodbye - People https://apple.news/AJXkF5zl8Q-64jtnm4gJRIg

I think we should at least post stories of the victims & their families and what they have to deal with ..
    These kinds of shootings are only happening here in this country...we have a gun problem until gun advocates start admitting it we will never fix it ...

It's stunning the story of the 15 yo Kentucky girl is barely in the news this week. I have a child around that age and my heart goes out to their family. There have been many school shootings in the first month of 2018. America's gun problems are getting exponentially worse each year.

The problem in America is we have too many that believe the wording in the second amendment stating we can "bear arms" is to be literally applied forever; but those inconvenient words "well regulated militia," is only relevant to the specific militias that existed at that time. In other words, we have no chance for any meaningful gun safety reforms
  • Options
    Another responsible gun owner, I’m sure.

Man Celebrating 21st Birthday Kills Himself Minutes After Accidentally Killing His Best Friend, Police Say - TIME https://apple.news/AejklQ_b8QCC23Gg7jEYHuA
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Man Celebrating 21st Birthday Kills Himself Minutes After Accidentally Killing His Best Friend, Police Say - TIME https://apple.news/AejklQ_b8QCC23Gg7jEYHuA

Having a firearm in your household exponentially increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt or killed with it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,828

at's 
    Having a firearm in your household exponentially increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt or killed with it.
    that's like saying if you have a fireplace in your home your chances of having a fire will increase.  It's a pretty obvious statement Del.  

I have lots of beer in my house, my chances of getting drunk are increased. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    As I m looking into my yard I thought of: the chance of someone drowning in your backyard increases when you have a pool. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 
    that's like saying if you have a fireplace in your home your chances of having a fire will increase.  It's a pretty obvious statement Del.  

Except you probably enjoy getting drunk. Would you enjoy getting shot?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.

Getting drunk is far better than getting killed... having your teens sneak your booze and getting drunk is far better than having your teens playing with your handgun and killing someone.

If you want to assume the risk... feel free. The victims we read about assumed the risk thinking nothing would happen to them.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    As I m looking into my yard I thought of: the chance of someone drowning in your backyard increases when you have a pool. 

Well... seeing as you've brought it up... there are many by-laws to pool ownership aimed at public safety. For example, your pool needs to be fenced in so toddlers cannot make the mistake of accessing the pool and falling in. Homeowners are liable when accidents occur in their pools on their property if safety measures were neglected.

Weird eh? I mean... I know gun owners are 'encouraged' to lock their firearms up, but many don't and as a result... accidents occur. Gun owners are rarely held responsible for their negligence.

Guns are tools designed specifically to shoot a hole into something (to paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd: guns are made for killing... they ain't no good for nothing else). Pools are designed for leisure.

Pools have tougher restrictions than guns? Weird, man.

And no post of mine in this thread would be complete with one... good... 'YEE HAW GIT 'ER Dun'.

lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Well... seeing as you've brought it up... there are many by-laws to pool ownership aimed at public safety. For example, your pool needs to be fenced in so toddlers cannot make the mistake of accessing the pool and falling in. Homeowners are liable when accidents occur in their pools on their property if safety measures were neglected.

Weird eh? I mean... I know gun owners are 'encouraged' to lock their firearms up, but many don't and as a result... accidents occur. Gun owners are rarely held responsible for their negligence.

Guns are tools designed specifically to shoot a hole into something (to paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd: guns are made for killing... they ain't no good for nothing else). Pools are designed for leisure.

And no post of mine in this thread would be complete with one... good... 'YEE HAW GIT 'ER Dun'.

lol
    all solid points bud.  You hitting up the seattle oar wrigley shows?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

Seattle (I hope... I'm just a tad concerned re: the ticket situation).

You getting your ass out to the west coast or no? We can meet up... go for some chowder... and drink a bunch of IPAs!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

You getting your ass out to the west coast or no? We can meet up... go for some chowder... and drink a bunch of IPAs!
     I'm not sure how many nights of coverage we have with the kids so seattle doesn't seem worth it for such a short amount of time.  I'm heading to chicago night 2 this time around.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

I'm not sure how many nights of coverage we have with the kids so seattle doesn't seem worth it for such a short amount of time.  I'm heading to chicago night 2 this time around.  

Once the last kid moves out and you become 'empty nesters' (approximately 2031)... we can make some solid plans!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

Once the last kid moves out and you become 'empty nesters' (approximately 2031)... we can make some solid plans!
    deal!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

Way to make the point for us LOL.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

the whole point of this, though, is that people argue they keep guns in their house for protection, when so often the opposite occurs; they end up shooting themselves or someone they care about instead of a big bad boogeyman. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I was once at a party at my buddy's cottage. his dad kept his hunting rifle on a mount above the fireplace. no one knew if it was loaded or not. But at one point, two guys started having an argument and one grabbed the gun and was pointing it, point blank, in other's face, while the one being pointed at was screaming "DO IT! DO IT!". the guy's finger was on the trigger. I was flipping the fuck out, just wanting him to put the gun down in case there was a round left in it. 

we have pictures from parties there with people posing with this fucking thing (not me, never touched it). Good thing no one was ever hurt. 

this was the same gun that I mentioned previously had been confiscated after his dad died. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

Way to make the point for us LOL.
    With that line of thinking, one could also say that having a gun in the house also increases the odds of you stopping a burglary with a gun...etc, etc, etc.  
    It’s somewhat of a moot point.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

the whole point of this, though, is that people argue they keep guns in their house for protection, when so often the opposite occurs; they end up shooting themselves or someone they care about instead of a big bad boogeyman. 
    I guess it is a matter of risk and mediating those risks.  Having draino in the house increased the risk of a child drinking draino...that’s why you lock it up or keep it out of reach...Taking appropriate measures to prevent accidents mitigates many of the associated risks.  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

I guess it is a matter of risk and mediating those risks.  Having draino in the house increased the risk of a child drinking draino...that’s why you lock it up or keep it out of reach...Taking appropriate measures to prevent accidents mitigates many of the associated risks.  
    but if you store the gun properly and safely, there's pretty much zero chance of it helping you in a break in. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g8777
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

but if you store the gun properly and safely, there's pretty much zero chance of it helping you in a break in. 

Evidently you missed the quick access safe discussion we had a while back.  There are plenty of options out there that provide quick access as well as safe storing.  Bedside biometric or coded handgun safes have been around a while now.  Most gun owners I know have some variant of them.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

Evidently you missed the quick access safe discussion we had a while back.  There are plenty of options out there that provide quick access as well as safe storing.  Bedside biometric or coded handgun safes have been around a while now.  Most gun owners I know have some variant of them.
    I did miss that, and that's great. But I'd like to see stats on what percentage of gun owners actually have them, and how affordable such a thing really is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

I did miss that, and that's great. But I'd like to see stats on what percentage of gun owners actually have them, and how affordable such a thing really is. 
    My handgun is stored in one.  In addition every single rifle and shotgun I own has a trigger lock and is stored in a safe.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

https://www.shootingandsafety.com/best-gun-safe-reviews/
    Pretty sure no stats have been tallied, but most of these are pretty affordable.
    Anyone that does not lock their firearms up in some form or fashion is asking for trouble, in the same way someone that leaves draino (and Tide pods evidently) laying around is asking for trouble.  

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

at's 

My handgun is stored in one.  In addition every single rifle and shotgun I own has a trigger lock and is stored in a safe.
    Right on, same here.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

lol
    That isn't completely true. I know very few people with a fence around their pool. My parents had a pool built just a couple years ago, had to get a city inspection for approval and everything. They were not allowed to have in ground lights in the walkway leading to the pool so they had to remove those. But nothing about fences. I think think you get an insurance discount with a fence, but there's nothing legal or illegal about it.
    I think I know of 1 person, my aunt, who has a fenced pool, but definiately isn't a requirement.
    But I agree I think locking up a firearm should be a requirement, and if someone gets injured because you didn't, then you should be liable. So I agree completely with your analogy even though I'm not sure it is entirely accurate.

As soon as I wrote that I remembered what the law is. If your yard is fenced, that counts as a fenced pool.  So legally as long as you have a fenced backyard (and who doesn't?) that met the legal requirement of a fenced pool. Insurance wouldn't give the fenced discount unless the fence was within a certain feet of the pool. 

I think it depends on the state. Getting a gun in California wasn't very easy. Getting a pool is as long as you have the money. Getting a gun here in Colorado was pretty easy though. Every gun I bought in California I had to write the name and model of of an TFA approved gun safe and sign that I will keep my firearm in that safe. Not doing so would make me liable for injuries that resulted in me not properly storin gmy firearm. I had no problem with that, and would think that is a good requirement for every state.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol
    That isn't completely true. I know very few people with a fence around their pool. My parents had a pool built just a couple years ago, had to get a city inspection for approval and everything. They were not allowed to have in ground lights in the walkway leading to the pool so they had to remove those. But nothing about fences. I think think you get an insurance discount with a fence, but there's nothing legal or illegal about it.
    I think I know of 1 person, my aunt, who has a fenced pool, but definiately isn't a requirement.
    But I agree I think locking up a firearm should be a requirement, and if someone gets injured because you didn't, then you should be liable. So I agree completely with your analogy even though I'm not sure it is entirely accurate.

in canada you need a 6 foot fence around your yard if you have a pool or you don't get a permit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

lol

in canada you need a 6 foot fence around your yard if you have a pool or you don't get a permit. 
    Yeah, I remembered what insurance counts as a fence and what the city/local government did were two different things.
  • Options
    Another responsible gun owner until he wasn’t.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/29/us/pennsylvania-car-wash-shooting/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.