America's Gun Violence

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited February 2018
    CM189191 said:
    Can we please stop putting police up on a pedestal already? 
    1) they knew what they signed up for. Don't want to put your life in the line everyday? Then get another job. 
    2) it's not even top ten most dangerous professions
    3) they're more likely to kill someone else than be killed

I tried to thank an officer for his service, monitoring our neighborhood, parking lot and building. Coming home from work and I'm wearing a suit and tie. He returned the compliment by drawing his weapon because he perceived me as some sort of threat. 

Very few cops are heros. Most I've had the pleasure of knowing, are assholes. Some, I assume are good people. 
    While I do believe society puts police on a pedestal in sometimes unhealthy ways, your comment here right now is utterly without class.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    CM189191 said:
    1) they knew what they signedu up for. Don't want to put your life in the line everyday? Then get another job. 

I tried to thank an officer for his service, monitoring our neighborhood, parking lot and building. Coming home from work and I'm wearing a suit and tie. He returned the compliment by drawing his weapon because he perceived me as some sort of threat. 

Very few cops are heros. Most I've had the pleasure of knowing, are assholes. Some, I assume are good people. 

This post is a steaming pile of shit
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    wow, a lot of police worship around here.

this is the reason we live in a police state.  this is how structural racism continues to thrive.  this i why we have the highest incarceration rates in the world.  

police and the military are an untouchable class.  do not question their sacrifice.  obey.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    1) they knew what they signed up for. Don't want to put your life in the line everyday? Then get another job. 

I don't believe for one second that you thanked a police officer.  And then you fabricate that he drew his wepon on you for thanking him for his service, come on man, don't insult us all.
    you are calling him a liar based on absolutely nothing. 

So people must believe everything that is typed on these threads as the truth- no matter how ridiculous those words sound?

If I'm honest... I don't believe the story either. For one... it's far fetched- very unbelievable. Secondly... CM's posting history on the subject of police and police authority is extreme. He hardly sounds like the type of person to go out of his way to 'thank' an officer for anything.
    of course not. nothing wrong with questioning someone's claim. but to outright call someone a liar right out of the gate with zero backup? yeah, no. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191 said:

this is the reason we live in a police state.  this is how structural racism continues to thrive.  this i why we have the highest incarceration rates in the world.  

police and the military are an untouchable class.  do not question their sacrifice.  obey.

Lol

We're so dumb.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Please remember there are two families burying their loved ones in Westerville.
  • RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

I don't believe for one second that you thanked a police officer.  And then you fabricate that he drew his wepon on you for thanking him for his service, come on man, don't insult us all.

So people must believe everything that is typed on these threads as the truth- no matter how ridiculous those words sound?

If I'm honest... I don't believe the story either. For one... it's far fetched- very unbelievable. Secondly... CM's posting history on the subject of police and police authority is extreme. He hardly sounds like the type of person to go out of his way to 'thank' an officer for anything.
    of course not. nothing wrong with questioning someone's claim. but to outright call someone a liar right out of the gate with zero backup? yeah, no. 

It was a personal anecdote though with no way of establishing the validity of the comment. I think these types of comments can stand to question when they- at a bare minimum- seem fabricated.

Do you really think CM... dressed nicely in his suit... went out of his way to thank a local officer for the police work he noticed him doing. And that upon approaching the officer... the cop pulled his gun out because he perceived CM as a threat? Remember that this little ditty was offered in support of CM's assertion that most cops are assholes and that we should not acknowledge their deaths in the line of duty (they were simply getting what they signed up for).
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2018
    police worship? Structural racism? Obey? Lol

You basically painted all law enforcement as assholes that we shouldn't care about....... until you're the one dialing 911
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

It was a personal anecdote though with no way of establishing the validity of the comment. I think these types of comments can stand to question when they- at a bare minimum- seem fabricated.

Do you really think CM... dressed nicely in his suit... went out of his way to thank a local officer for the police work he noticed him doing. And that upon approaching the officer... the cop pulled his gun out because he perceived CM as a threat? Remember that this little ditty was offered in support of CM's assertion that most cops are assholes and that we should not acknowledge their deaths in the line of duty (they were simply getting what they signed up for).
    I really can't say one way or the other. neither can you. 

again:
    challenge = fine
    liar! = not fine
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• But you can't challenge such a story without inherently calling the person who spewed it a liar.

Ryme never outright called him a liar. 
    But you can't challenge such a story without inherently calling the person who spewed it a liar.

sure you can. ask for more details.

Then what do you call a statement like this?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Guessing that he is fabricating his story about thanking a police officer, and then the police officer draws his gun on him is an educated guess based on his comments.
    Referring to CM again,
    Racism?  Read the story I posted two or three times.  Tell me what's racist about that?  I'll post it again for CM
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2018/01/28/detroit-police-officer-glenn-doss-dies/1073154001/
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited February 2018
    But you can't challenge such a story without inherently calling the person who spewed it a liar.

sure you can. ask for more details.

Then what do you call a statement like this?

I call it a guy calling out bullshit.

I mean... we can encourage people to play that game (What time of day was it? Was the cop right in the middle of an intense investigation? Did you have your hands inside your coat pockets? Were you walking towards him in a brisk manner?)... but some comments don't command such respect.

Edit: the context of the comment was significant here as well.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Guessing that he is fabricating his story about thanking a police officer, and then the police officer draws his gun on him is an educated guess based on his comments.
    Referring to CM again,
    Racism?  Read the story I posted two or three times.  Tell me what's racist about that?  I'll post it again for CM
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2018/01/28/detroit-police-officer-glenn-doss-dies/1073154001/

Guess all you want, it's still a guess, not an "educated guess" (kind of like how your weird assertion that Obama has never used a lawnmower is not an educated guess). And outright saying that someone fabricated a story is the same as saying s/he is lying. Perhaps you meant to say something like you found it unlikely? Improbable? Dubious?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    well I don't know CM's posting history, so.........
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

Guess all you want, it's still a guess, not an "educated guess" (kind of like how your weird assertion that Obama has never used a lawnmower is not an educated guess). And outright saying that someone fabricated a story is the same as saying s/he is lying. Perhaps you meant to say something like you found it unlikely? Improbable? Dubious?
    You mean soften the blow?

It's the same thing.
  • well I don't know CM's posting history, so.........
    If you read the post he offered the story in... you'll have a pretty good idea where he traditionally has stood with regards to his views on police work.

* Good luck with securing tickets people. Cheers.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

You mean soften the blow?

It's the same thing.

It's absolutely not the same thing.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    For all the police haters on here.......those of you that hate ALL police and believe  that ALL police are out to get you and that ALL police are corrupt....here's  some questions for you.......

When you're driving down the road and get hit by another car and they take off (a hit and run) who you gonna call?
    Someone breaks into you house and steals all your precious stuff.....who you gonna call?
    When someone mugs and hurts your loved one...who you gonna call?
    Your car gets stolen. ....who you gonna call?
    For all the police haters on here.......those of you that hate ALL police and believe  that ALL police are out to get you and that ALL police are corrupt....here's  some questions for you.......

When you're driving down the road and get hit by another car and they take off (a hit and run) who you gonna call?
    Someone breaks into you house and steals all your precious stuff.....who you gonna call?

Who are you putting in that category of "police haters" who "hate all police"?
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

Has Obama ever run a lawnmower?
    I don't think Trump has either.  Just guessing.
    I ment to say I don't believe CM's story.
    If it is true, then he's not telling the whole story as to why the policeman pulled the gun on him.  It certainly wasn't for thanking him for his service.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

If it is true, then he's not telling the whole story as to why the policeman pulled the gun on him.  It certainly wasn't for thanking him for his service.

"Just guessing"? You were pretty definitive before. 
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

Good grief No, I don't believe Obama or Trump have ever operated a lawn mower, and no I don't believe CM's story.
    Post edited by RYME on
    CM189191 said:

Lol

We're so dumb.

don't take my word for it:

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

Referring to CM again,

Good grief No, I don't believe Obama ever operated a lawn mower, and I don't believe CM.
    I've been called a lot of things, a liar is not one of them
  • CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Lol

We're so dumb.

What am I reading? This (from your article)?

“As most law students learn in the first week of their first year, Anglo-American law – also known as the common law – is a shared legal heritage between England and America. The sheriff is unique to that shared legal heritage. Before reporters sloppily imply nefarious meaning behind the term, we would suggest that they read any number of the Supreme Court opinions that use the term. Or they could simply put ‘Anglo-American law’ into Google.”
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Lol

We're so dumb.

I must be missing something here. are some equating the prefix "anglo" with "white" or something? it simply means England. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Lol

We're so dumb.

I must be missing something here. are some equating the prefix "anglo" with "white" or something? it simply means England. lol
    Yah I sat there scratching my noggin too?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Who are you putting in that category of "police haters" who "hate all police"?
    They know who they are

Still want to know who they'll  call
This discussion has been closed.