RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I don't know.  I am so deeply disturbed by the method at which he chose to do this.  How horrible.  I don't mean to dwell on it, and I know I should let time heal all of us a bit, and I'm sorry if it's too soon to discuss the how of this but an overdose or maybe if they just said committed suicide without ever telling us it was a hanging would have made me feel less sad or something.  I'm just kind of torn apart that he was so deeply depressed that he felt this was the only answer.  I've never been depressed like that so it's difficult to understand, but I think it would be hard as hell to perform a concert good enough in front of 5000 fans without 3000 of them saying how shitty it was or noticing something odd.  And he did it.  He put on a hell of a show from what I've read....  Did he take something that would have heightened his depression or something?

again forgive me, and don't mean to speculate but I just have a lot of questions and sadness about this.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited May 2017
    prl said:
    steved said:
    Temple Of The Dog - PJ20 Directors Cut (unlocked now as the time is fitting )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI&t=610s

Hey steved, thanks for sharing this. Is this video the same as the one in the TOTD deluxe boxset?
    It is the same show, but when I was done with the version made for the Box Set there were parts I was not satisfied with, and there were parts that were edited out for size restriction and continuity. This is the complete and Final version I edited.
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    edited May 2017
    I don't know.  I am so deeply disturbed by the method at which he chose to do this.  How horrible.  I don't mean to dwell on it, and I know I should let time heal all of us a bit, and I'm sorry if it's too soon to discuss the how of this but an overdose or maybe if they just said committed suicide without ever telling us it was a hanging would have made me feel less sad or something.  I'm just kind of torn apart that he was so deeply depressed that he felt this was the only answer.  I've never been depressed like that so it's difficult to understand, but I think it would be hard as hell to perform a concert good enough in front of 5000 fans without 3000 of them saying how shitty it was or noticing something odd.  And he did it.  He put on a hell of a show from what I've read....  Did he take something that would have heightened his depression or something?

again forgive me, and don't mean to speculate but I just have a lot of questions and sadness about this.

Many people that die by suicide spend their last days/day/minutes tieing up loose ends. They'll likely go through their moments as normal as possible. 

For example, my best friend of 24 years lost his father to suicide on February 8th this. It was his day off from work, so he went to get snow tires on his car for the snow storm the next day. He took care of some other errands, but didn't make it through the night. 

Things like this are very common. My wife's aunt is president of a suicide prevention organization. Unfortunately, they see it all the time. 
    Post edited by fl4tdriven on
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Many people that die by suicide spend their last days/day/minutes tieing up loose ends. They'll likely go through their moments as normal as possible. 

For example, my best friend of 24 years lost his father to suicide on February 8th this. It was his day off from work, so he went to get snow tires on his car for the snow storm the next day. He took care of some other errands, but didn't make it through the night. 

Things like this are very common. My wife's aunt is president of a suicide prevention organization. Unfortunately, they see it all the time. 
    and a lot of people who have chosen to do this, from what i've heard, actually act quite happy leading up to it. once they have decided, it's like they have closure or peace of some kind without having done the deed yet. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332

and a lot of people who have chosen to do this, from what i've heard, actually act quite happy leading up to it. once they have decided, it's like they have closure or peace of some kind without having done the deed yet. 

Exactly right. They've accepted what will be and come to peace with it, allowing them to be relaxed and happy of sorts. 
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    It's the loneliness after the show I believe, when all the fans are gone, and the crowds thin away, and you are left to deal with just yourself. I wondered the same thing about Scott Weiland and his overdose on his bus. We can speculate but never really know.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Deeply saddened and misty-eyed all day today.

RIP Chris
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    So unbelievably sad. I've been thinking about Chris' family and everyone in Pearl Jam that are certainly crushed by this horrible horrible news today. I hope the band is okay and knows the fans are thinking about them and share their grief.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I keep forgetting it happened, then remembering it and going through the emotions all over. It just seems like a bad dream, it can't be true....

I cried for the first time in a long time today.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited May 2017
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    pulling69 said:
    I was awoken by my radio alarm this morning and the first 3 words I heard were "...Chris Cornell tribue."  Then they played Like A Stone.  I immediately knew he was gone and lost it a bit (I lost it more on the drive home from work).

I listened to Unplugged in Sweden on the drive in.  Just awful awful shit.  

I will forever cherish my 3 times seeing Soundgarden, 1 time seeing Audioslave at the Hard Rock in Vegas, 1 time seeing Cornell for his first album's tour, and finally...TOTD in LA.  So glad I bought that poster now.  Man...sad sad day.
  • JW44563JW44563 Cincinnati Posts: 39
    From Indy...
    Seemed like he was in a great place - lot of smiles, happy to be there, appreciated the crowd.  Still can't believe it.

'96 Toledo
    '00 Cincinnati, Columbus
    '03 Lexington, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Columbus
    '06 Cincinnati
    '10 Columbus, Cleveland
    '13 Chicago
    '14 Cincinnati
    '16 Lexington
    '22 Nashville
    \m/
  • nosajh9nosajh9 Akron, Ohio Posts: 121
    i dont post much but have been on here for many years and you all have always been good
    my vent
    this is fucked and i hope we all can think about humanity in a different light and wake up tomorrow with a different mind and remember we are all on a weird trip together
    this is really sad and i feel for all the people other than us that are truly close to him
    it hasn't really sunk in until this evening and it's only sad
    that's the only word i have and i do not use it much
    he was the true soul of the music and words that's inspired my LIFE and many others
    like a compass
    this one was completely unexpected
    thank you and love 

9/22/96 Toledo, OH. 8/26/98 Cuyahoga Falls, OH. 8/21/00 Columbus, OH. 8/25/03 Cleveland, OH. 8/26/03 Pittsburgh, PA. 10/03/04 Grand Rapids, MI. 5/20/06 Cleveland, OH. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, PA. 6/22/08 Washington, DC. 5/06/10 Columbus, OH. 5/09/10 Cleveland, OH. 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I think I've been crying all day; this lump in my throat is not going away for awhile.  I'm feeling a deep sadness for everyone, his family, us whom's soul he spoke to, and the guys whom we all love and the pain they must be feeling.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    Dave Mustaine/Megadeth pay their respect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqMVNlPHE8
    Wow...shows you how hard it is for even a professional to pull off what Chris did night in and night out. 
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Space needle just went black.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/washington/seattle/?cam=seattlespaceneedle

Sitting here in my music room in Calgary, Alberta, Canada listening to podcasts, radio shows, youtube videos, records, tapes, anything I can get my hands on, while drinking a scotch.

Toast to you all of you out there grieving tonight. One love.

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    am truly sorry for this tragic death of such a talent . i first saw soundgarden open for pearl jam and neil young in 93. saw them again in 94 as well as a number of chris cornell solo shows(not accoustic)as well as the accoustic ones. always tried to catch them when i could. the tour 3 years ago was great. i really liked this band and that voice. i am sad to say that anyone watching the last videos from the fox it is very obvious this was not the chris cornell i knew and loved. saddest for his young children and wife. another icon gone but not forgotten. 
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Remembering Chris... it's hard to type through the tears today... There isn't anywhere else online or in the real world where I can post this where people will understand how crushed I feel today... so thank you, friends, for putting up with this long list of mine...

My best friend Dennis and I listened to the same mix tape on the bus on the way to school every day. And every day, we listened to My Wave and The Day I Tried To Live without fail. Soundgarden was a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, and will be for as long as I live.

i feel so so fortunate to have seen a Soundgarden performance in Las Vegas in 2014. Chris' voice always blew me away - but to hear him live and in person was unforgettable. They performed every song I ever wanted them to play that night. It was glorious. We will never again hear a voice like Chris', and that's something I will forever miss.

I missed a Pearl Jam show in L.A. in 2009. I had just returned from a business trip in Hawaii and I had the opportunity to drive straight to Los Angeles and see PJ the next day - but I was so exhausted. This was the show where Chris came out on stage and sang probably the most unique version of Hunger Strike that I had ever heard. This was the show where Matt, Kim, Ben and Chris huddled backstage and started the gears moving on a Soundgarden reunion. I wasn't there, but I always think of the show I missed that became truly legendary.

His influence on so many other artists - including Eddie - is incalculable. I can't imagine where he was in his own mind last night to do something so final...

We all can get down, and there are a lot of us who know the sadness, who know the depression, and have not yet let it get the best of us. We all get bad days, and we all get worse days. Sometimes it's minute to minute. I get that. I really do. No matter how bad it gets, live for the next day. Live for your friends. Live for your family. Live for the moments you've not yet experienced. Live for the people you have not yet met. You are needed here so much more than you could ever fathom. If you need help, please talk to someone. It's ok if you need help - we all do. There's nothing wrong with reaching out. Please take care of yourselves, friends. Theres a lot of love here. We need you.

We are going to miss you so much, Chris. A big part of us died with you, today. You never knew me, but you were there for me when I needed you. Thank you so much, Chris. We miss you.
    Great post to embody a painfully sad day. Your post completely captures my utter sadness of today and the difficulty to process an important loss of someone you've never met. 

I have no words for this. I'm so sad. But that pales in comparison to so many others who knew him personally as a family member, friend, or bandmate. I can't imagine the pain and confusion they all feel. My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who has been touched by this horrible event and anyone who struggles with whatever difficulties life has placed in front of them.

Your post helped me realize that my feelings are not unique - especially on this forum - on such a difficult day. 

Much love to everyone. 
    Sending e-hugs your way, man... e-hugs to everyone today
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 289
    Just got home from the Chili Peppers show in Indy tonight. Flea dedicated Under the Bridge to Chris. Then the encore started with Josh Klinghoffer coming on stage alone and playing Seasons. Hopefully clips of that show up online soon as it was a really great performance.

RIP Chris 
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hug those that you can.
    Reach out to people you haven't spoken to in awhile, it will do wonders. Some of us struggle but hide it unbelievably we'll.
    Hitting the jukebox hard tonight.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I just wanna say on some level I love you all and reading this thread has really helped me through today.  Still can't believe it and still don't really know what to say.  This one hurts bad. 
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited May 2017
    I've just watched video of Slaves & Bulldozers & I'm probably reading into things but i don't know that I've known him to sing pretty well a whole song from behind his hair flopping in front of his face before, sort of hiding from everyone. I'm  absolutely reading into this of course but, just.... :heartbreak:
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited May 2017
    chadaw76 said:
    Just got home from the Chili Peppers show in Indy tonight. Flea dedicated Under the Bridge to Chris. Then the encore started with Josh Klinghoffer coming on stage alone and playing Seasons. Hopefully clips of that show up online soon as it was a really great performance.

RIP Chris 
    I just found this: 

https://youtu.be/UuPLC2f0P9A
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • What a shitty day. 
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    What a shitty day. 
    This
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • andertakerandertaker Posts: 102
    It feels so unreal :s
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"