Is America the greatest country in the world?

DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
edited May 2017 in A Moving Train
Sorry if this has been posted here before. I found it to be quite entertaining.

https://youtu.be/73_ds1xQmD4
will myself to find a home, a home within myself
we will find a way, we will find our place

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    No.

And that has been posted several times.  An oldie but goodie
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    "We waged war on poverty, not poor people."
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    Hahahahahahahahaha..a nice one..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Smellyman said:
    No.

I saw it for the first time on Facebook last week. Do you know where it's from?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    Smellyman said:
    No.

I saw it for the first time on Facebook last week. Do you know where it's from?
    Pilot episode of The Newsroom.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2017
    And obviously the US is not the greatest country on the world. No one sane would believe that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    not even the greatest country in North America
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    Yes
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How would that even be defined?  I can't think of a quality of greatness that we lead in.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    rgambs said:
    How would that even be defined?  I can't think of a quality of greatness that we lead in.
    GDP and Military Spending, that's about it
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    rgambs said:
    You lead the world in biglyness. Also tweet production. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    just remember America is the only country where an idea written on a napkin can end up on the NYSE ;) unless of course you count all the other countries in the world
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    I think the u.s. is the greatest country in the world but of course there is no way to prove it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    nope.

if you have never lived anywhere else, how the fuck would you even know?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    nope.

that's not really a fair comparison. in order to answer the question you have to live in another country?  have people living in other countries actually lived in the united states?
    I resided in spain for 3 months and have been to over 35 countries...am I qualified to answer the question?
    every country has it's plus and minuses.  
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

that's not really a fair comparison. in order to answer the question you have to live in another country?  have people living in other countries actually lived in the united states?
    I resided in spain for 3 months and have been to over 35 countries...am I qualified to answer the question?
    that wasnt directed at you personally. should have said how the fuck would one even know?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

that wasnt directed at you personally. should have said how the fuck would one even know?
    lol.  got ya.
    I did enjoy some of your missouri craft beer 3 years ago!  although not the best in the usa! ;)
    I'm not seriously asking the question.  The purpose of the post was mainly about the video. I didnt know it had been posted here before. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    If you think about it, it's a nonsensical question.  America is this:

And this:

...and everything in between.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

lol.  got ya.
    I did enjoy some of your missouri craft beer 3 years ago!  although not the best in the usa! ;)
    You touch on the real question: what country has the greatest beer? That's when I'll do the USA USA! chant. 
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I love the United States!! I feel like with hard work and drive I can achieve my dreams here :) never lived any where else but I am sure there are many counties that are a close second ;) 
    edited May 2017
    riley540 said:
     I feel like with hard work and drive I can achieve my dreams here :)
    You have swallowed it hook, line and sinker. This reads like irony.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

mcgruff10 said:
    I think the u.s. is the greatest country in the world but of course there is no way to prove it.  
    I think you can come along way with simple data, facts and common sense. Obviously things the US has stopped believe in as of late.

Would the earth be a better place if it was a bunch of Americas spread out over the globe, or full of, lets say, Denmarks?
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Obviously No, with all the issues with guns, opioids, education, health care, infrastructure and so on that are uncommon to many other places. Does it even make the top 10 would be the question for me.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    No.  It's the greediest.  It's not about freedom... it's about money and government control.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    I don't think any country would take that honor. Every country in the world has some major flaw.
    I would put the US in the top 10 but it would be a top 10 with no particular order.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    More people come here than to any other.  Ask them.
    unsung said:
    More people come here than to any other.  Ask them.
    that is true, i know many people who have moved to the USA and they all say the same thing,  the USA does present to them the greatest opportunities that you can achieve.  I also know many americans who have moved to Canada cause they felt that the Canada gives them the greatest opportunities. 

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    I think it depends on what you value in life and what you desire to achieve. In most cases the US has a spot for anybody, no matter what your cultural, religious, economic status, race or any other background is; if you find your community of people. I don't think you will find that level of diverse possibilities in any other country in the world right now, but the landscape is changing, so other countries might catch up to us. Does that make us the greatest, no probably not, but it provides the best opportunity for anyone. I would never consider this the best county in the world because I can't compare it to anything else. Visiting another country doesn't qualify me to know enough. I do know that there are countries outside the US that I would gladly live in (Australia and Sweden) based on limited knowledge, but I'm sure they have societal issues I would find problematic as well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.