Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    jeffbr said:
    Adult life isn't as easy as, "if you don't like it here, then move". There's aging family. There's children. Professions. Friends. It isn't as easy as you try to make it seem. America is a good place to live, but with all of our problems, I hope that this isn't the greatest because surely someplace is more together than us at the moment. 
    Agreed. And you should also add immigration laws to your list above. Vancouver is a short distance from me, and I'd be more than happy to live and work in BC, but relocating is not an easy proposition unless I was independently wealthy or had some sort of specialized skill that was in demand. My grandmother was born in Sweden, and I always thought that would be an interesting and beautiful place to live, but again, I have no idea how I'd pull that off. So in many ways, we are born into our situation, and changing it isn't simply a matter of packing up and moving.
    I live in Sweden. You are very welcome :)

We take off our shoes when we walk around indoors though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    God Bless America
    Three words to prove ignorance. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rgambs said:
    It's harder to determine what is best than it is to eliminate something from contention.

In terms of quality of life and equality, Canada is better, most of the Scandinavian countries are better, Australia might be, I don't know enough to say so.

Sadly, I think most Americans confuse "strongest" with "greatest".
    then leave.  go make turds somewhere else.
    What a pointless response.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    its Yagi. get it right.
    I don't understand, Google didn't help.
    Is this something your hipster friends say?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    OK, let's settle this once and for all.  First of all, there are only two countries, The Giant Cat and Australia.   The Cat has tormented Australia for centuries and yet, this marvelous country down under has persevered. 

Australia for the win!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    brianlux said:
    OK, let's settle this once and for all.  First of all, there are only two countries, The Giant Cat and Australia.   The Cat has tormented Australia for centuries and yet, this marvelous country down under has persevered. 

Australia for the win!

This picture is awesome!! I know people that has moved to Australia and they really like it there. The US is the second most visited country in the world after France. So the US is a very popular and interesting country. The greatest country in the world - it's like many already said a far too wide expression to really get a good answer.
    Quality of Life, US place 18

Best countries, US place 7

(And Highest ranking is "Power" which I don't really see adds into "greatest country in the world"

But I guess with all the "God bless and lets sing the national anthem at every sporting event"-secret sauce you're suddenly number 1. Or something...

Isn't it a positive thing to sing the national anthem? Isn't it a good thing to be proud over your country? 
    Annafalk said:
    Isn't it a positive thing to sing the national anthem? Isn't it a good thing to be proud over your country? 
    Mostly not.
    Nationalism is always a part of the preparation for war, and it is divisive.  
    It leads to all sorts of discrimination and ill feeling toward foreigners, and what good comes from it?
    edited May 2017
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    It leads to all sorts of discrimination and ill feeling toward foreigners, and what good comes from it?
    I don't think it has to be like that at all. Just because you love your country it doesn't mean you dislike or don't love other countries also.
    What good comes out of it? I think people wouldn't sing national anthems if nothing good came out from it.  
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    youre so smart. 
    God Bless America
    i meant Thor Bless the World.
    edited May 2017
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    youre so smart. 
    Yes he is, rgambs you are probably right :) I changed my mind. Good night.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    youre so smart. 
    Yes he is, rgambs you are probably right :) I changed my mind. Good night.
    kids never been right in his life.
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    I don't think it has to be like that at all. Just because you love your country it doesn't mean you dislike or don't love other countries also.
    What good comes out of it? I think people wouldn't sing national anthems if nothing good came out from it.  
    It probably doesn't have to be like that, but I think the problem is that intellectuals tend to think about the deeper consequences of nationalism and less intellectual folks tend to just dig deep and take it very seriously.
    There is no debating the connection between patriotism/nationalism and war.  The world wars were conflicts that can be blamed almost solely on people's investment in their arbitrarily drawn borders.  
    Cultural differences are great, and Europe is wonderfully full of cultural regions, but nationalism just amplifies the divisive aspects of cultural differences.

People sing national anthems for different reasons.  Tradition is probably the biggest one, but what's troubling is that you can trace nearly all nationalist traditions to times of war.  Think about it, it's true.
    Pride in your country doesn't make much sense to me, what do I have to be proud of about America?  I didn't make it what it is, I'm just 1 person living life how I see fit.
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    youre so smart. 
    Thank you, goat milk is brain food.
    intellectuals.....  thats hilarious.  
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    It probably doesn't have to be like that, but I think the problem is that intellectuals tend to think about the deeper consequences of nationalism and less intellectual folks tend to just dig deep and take it very seriously.
    There is no debating the connection between patriotism/nationalism and war.  The world wars were conflicts that can be blamed almost solely on people's investment in their arbitrarily drawn borders.  
    Cultural differences are great, and Europe is wonderfully full of cultural regions, but nationalism just amplifies the divisive aspects of cultural differences.

People sing national anthems for different reasons.  Tradition is probably the biggest one, but what's troubling is that you can trace nearly all nationalist traditions to times of war.  Think about it, it's true.
    Pride in your country doesn't make much sense to me, what do I have to be proud of about America?  I didn't make it what it is, I'm just 1 person living life how I see fit.
    so the "intellectuals" dig deep and take themselves very seriously is what im gathering.  kids are funny today.
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.

so the "intellectuals" dig deep and take themselves very seriously is what im gathering.  kids are funny today.
    Yes, you gather correctly.  We tend to take things seriously and not just pound a Busch and yell  !USA USA USA!!!

I don't think there are any kids participating in the discussions on AMT, though some folks act like kids with their flippant sarcasm and personal insults.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    God Bless America
    Why? Our country was based on the principals of Christianity.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Mostly not.
    Nationalism was a big part of world war 1 but since then?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 2017
    intellectuals.....  thats hilarious.  
    Rusty, Rusty Rusty,  isn't befriending or at least getting along with your fellow P.J. fan more important than argue about so impossible as "the greatest country"?  Or is it just more fun to stir the muck?

Have fun and beware The Giant Cat. :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    Nationalism has nothing to do about loving your country..why not..i love my country, i know my difference with the other nationalities, but i don't want to bomb any country..
    with some expection..lol..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    edited May 2017
    Does a bear crap in a toilet?

Betteridge's law of headlines is one name for an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    23scidoo said:
    Nationalism has nothing to do about loving your country..why not..i love my country, i know my difference with the other nationalities, but i don't want to bomb any country..
    with some expection..lol..
    You can also "love your country" but admit that its not the "greatest in the world"
    cheeseburgers
    cheeseburgers
    in paradise, lol

cheeseburgers
    A compelling argument!  
    Not just cheeseburgers either, America owns sandwiches in general.  I've never had an excellent sandwich abroad. 
    It's like they just don't understand sandwich anatomy and physiology outside the US.
    I would truly miss the array of sandwich opportunities in America, though I am pretty sure that I would put the excellent breads and cured meats of Italy to better use than the natives do.

I just want to clarify that I am not being snarky, sarcastic, or otherwise provocative.  America is the sandwich king of the world, and I am a sandwich kind of man.
    Soup, keep it. 
    Salad, sure, let's dance until my true love arrives.
    Sandwich, welcome home love.
    Light-hearted as my sandwich love fest was, it does touch on one of the aspects where America is truly one of the greatest nations of Earth.
    Cultural diversity, the melting pot is great, you can get delicious food and art from anywhere in the world here.  It isn't rich in origin, it's never going to be like eating a local delicacy or seeing some artistic expression in it's native location, but damn if we don't have the ability to taste (both physically and spiritually) a bit of everything humanity has to offer.
This discussion has been closed.