Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    It's sammich, people, sammich!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    rgambs said:
    Light-hearted as my sandwich love fest was, it does touch on one of the aspects where America is truly one of the greatest nations of Earth.
    Cultural diversity, the melting pot is great, you can get delicious food and art from anywhere in the world here.  It isn't rich in origin, it's never going to be like eating a local delicacy or seeing some artistic expression in it's native location, but damn if we don't have the ability to taste (both physically and spiritually) a bit of everything humanity has to offer.
    Well put!!!
    and why  doesn't Europe serve lots of ice with their drinks?  Who the heck likes room tempature water when eating out?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    unsung said:
    More people come here than to any other.  Ask them.
    That's kind of true.  'murica receives the highest total number of immigrants.  
    But is it really fair to compare the US population of 320MM to the UAE (9MM) or Canada (35MM)?
    When you compare countries receiving immigrants per capita, we're not even in the top 10. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,381
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Light-hearted as my sandwich love fest was, it does touch on one of the aspects where America is truly one of the greatest nations of Earth.
    Cultural diversity, the melting pot is great, you can get delicious food and art from anywhere in the world here.  It isn't rich in origin, it's never going to be like eating a local delicacy or seeing some artistic expression in it's native location, but damn if we don't have the ability to taste (both physically and spiritually) a bit of everything humanity has to offer.
    Well put!!!
    and why  doesn't Europe serve lots of ice with their drinks?  Who the heck likes room tempature water when eating out?
    Ice is dirty Mike..but we drink lot of things iced..only in Europe you can find freddo coffees..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Well put!!!
    Ice is dirty Mike..but we drink lot of things iced..only in Europe you can find freddo coffees..
    Ice is dirty?
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Well put!!!
    Ice is dirty?
    It sounds strange but ice actually often contain bacterias, we are not allowed to have it at hospitals either :) at home it's ok.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Well put!!!
    Ice is dirty?
    It sounds strange but ice actually often contain bacterias, we are not allowed to have it at hospitals either :)
    Interesting.  You learn something new every day.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Annafalk said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Well put!!!
    Ice is dirty?
    It sounds strange but ice actually often contain bacterias, we are not allowed to have it at hospitals either :)
    Interesting.  You learn something new every day.
    Watch Restaurant: Impossible with Robert Irvine.  First thing he usually does is check the ice machine, which is almost always super gross with bacteria and mold.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    rgambs said:
    I would truly miss the array of sandwich opportunities in America, though I am pretty sure that I would put the excellent breads and cured meats of Italy to better use than the natives do.

I just want to clarify that I am not being snarky, sarcastic, or otherwise provocative.  America is the sandwich king of the world, and I am a sandwich kind of man.
    Soup, keep it. 
    Salad, sure, let's dance until my true love arrives.
    Sandwich, welcome home love.
    The great Cuban sandwich, invented in Tampa, is the best sandwich in world history!  We need a sandwich thread.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nothing like a good Cuban!! A bad Cuban is just a ham sandwich, and guess what, ham sandwiches are awesome!!

I dunno about greatest, though.
    There's nothing better than a top notch pulled pork sandwich!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I do have a weak spot for a pulled pork sandwich! ... with a heap of slaw on top, oh man!!
    Dipped in about 10 different sauces until I find the one I like best.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited May 2017

mcgruff10 said:
    God Bless America
    Three words to prove ignorance. 
    Why? Our country was based on the principals of Christianity.  
    Not politically. The founding fathers quite specifically didn't want that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:
    God Bless America
    I drove past a church on my way to get coffee on the weekend and their sign read: "church and state is separated by god". I just laughed as I drove by. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:
    God Bless America
    I drove past a church on my way to get coffee on the weekend and their sign read: "church and state is separated by god". I just laughed as I drove by. 
    Hmm. So even God agrees that they need to be separated. Nice. I wonder if that is what they meant? :lol: It's not even grammatically correct, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:
    God Bless America
    Hmm. So even God agrees that they need to be separated. Nice. I wonder if that is what they meant? :lol: It's not even grammatically correct, lol.
    I think it meant in heaven. but while on earth, church shouldn't be separated from anything, is what I got from it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:
    God Bless America
    I think it meant in heaven. but while on earth, church shouldn't be separated from anything, is what I got from it. 
    Huh.... God isn't necessarily just in Heaven, you know?.... And is there a state in Heaven? Or church? And if so, why in the world would he separate them then? I dunno, if that is what they meant, then that is even more stupid that I first thought. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    "What makes church better than state? We have god! Yyyeeeahh! GOD FOOTBALL RULES on three 1-2-3 *clap* GO CHURCH!"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    There's plenty of pastors that are comfortable with integrating science into their beliefs. They probably don't get as much camera time as the ding bats.  
  • There's plenty of pastors that are comfortable with integrating science into their beliefs. They probably don't get as much camera time as the ding bats.  

Agree
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Just on the wikipedia page of the nutjob Montana US house special election probable winner (who has Russian ties, obviously) that just assaulted a journalist, and I read he is a believer in young earth creationism.
    Clinking on the link to find out what the eff that is said that a 2011 Gallup survey reports that 30% of U.S. adults say they interpret the Bible literally.
    So again I feel the answer to this thread is an easy No. 

Good point, easy no!
  • ^^^
    Echoed to the above.
    At some point the flat earthers and bible thumpers need not be given a platform to speak. 
    ^^^
    Echoed to the above.
    At some point the flat earthers and bible thumpers need not be given a platform to speak. 
    I'm with you there, but you have to realise that would be the immediate death of conservatism.
  • rgambs said:
    ^^^
    Echoed to the above.
    I'm with you there, but you have to realise that would be the immediate death of conservatism.

Extreme conservatism? and I'll meet you half way if you agree
    rgambs said:
    ^^^
    Echoed to the above.

Extreme conservatism? and I'll meet you half way if you agree
    If flat earthers and Bible nuts lost the right to vote, conservatism would be dead.  At the first election.
    Not that all conservatives are nuts, it's just there aren't enough to win anything without the nuts on your side.
  • ^^^

And that is the worst part of being a conservative, the nuts you don't want.

^^^

It's the worst part about being a liberal too.
  • rgambs said:
    ^^^

It's the worst part about being a liberal too.

And here we have the middle where Pearl Jam fans meet.
This discussion has been closed.