Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    of course it is.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    America is #1.  To those who disagree, this is my retort ...

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

if you have never lived anywhere else, how the fuck would you even know?
    that's not really a fair comparison. in order to answer the question you have to live in another country?  have people living in other countries actually lived in the united states?
    I resided in spain for 3 months and have been to over 35 countries...am I qualified to answer the question?
    every country has it's plus and minuses.  
    that wasnt directed at you personally. should have said how the fuck would one even know?
    I think there are a ton of things anyone can look at to determine whether or not a country is the greatest in the world, and I think it is extremely easy to determine that the USA is not it. I think anyone who isn't letting an outrageous amount of bias cloud their judgment would have to admit that.... Or, I suppose, anyone who loves a large amount of injustice, violence, racism, and poverty within in the richest nation in the world.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

that's not really a fair comparison. in order to answer the question you have to live in another country?  have people living in other countries actually lived in the united states?
    I resided in spain for 3 months and have been to over 35 countries...am I qualified to answer the question?
    that wasnt directed at you personally. should have said how the fuck would one even know?
    I think there are a ton of things anyone can look at to determine whether or not a country is the greatest in the world, and I think it is extremely easy to determine that the USA is not it. I think anyone who isn't letting an outrageous amount of bias cloud their judgment would have to admit that.... Or, I suppose, anyone who loves a large amount of injustice, violence, racism, and poverty within in the richest nation in the world.
    I get your point and I by far do not consider us the greatest country, but I also don't know how we determine who is. The negatives you bring up exist almost universally all over the world, but I would argue there are vast amounts of groups, organizations and individuals fighting to address the issues you mention. In some countries, these issues are buried or not up for open opposition.

You have made it clear the US is not the greatest country so do you have an idea of what country is based on your criteria?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Jason P said:
    America is #1.  To those who disagree, this is my retort ...

I implied it was the worse AND the best so besides the finger, you gotta give me a big hug too.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2017
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

I get your point and I by far do not consider us the greatest country, but I also don't know how we determine who is. The negatives you bring up exist almost universally all over the world, but I would argue there are vast amounts of groups, organizations and individuals fighting to address the issues you mention. In some countries, these issues are buried or not up for open opposition.

You have made it clear the US is not the greatest country so do you have an idea of what country is based on your criteria?
    Well there are international bodies who have collectively identified many logical criteria, and they take many things into account. Median incomes, cost of living, affordable access to health care and education, education outcomes, poverty stats, wage gaps, gender equality, human rights records, prison stats, racial equality, taxation, infrastructure maintenance, inflation rates, housing affordability, public transit systems, international reputation, electoral process, etc etc. All of these things can be broken down into hard data. I don't consider this a very subjective topic.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

Well there are international bodies who have collectively identified many logical criteria, and they take many things into account. Median incomes, cost of living, affordable access to health care and education, education outcomes, poverty stats, wage gaps, gender equality, human rights records, prison stats, racial equality, taxation, infrastructure maintenance, inflation rates, housing affordability, public transit systems, international reputation, electoral process, etc etc. All of these things can be broken down into hard data. I don't consider this a very subjective topic.
    Agreed.
    Good luck with facts like those in 'Merca though.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

Of course it is subjective. You can gather all of the hard data you want, but determining which hard data to prioritize, which hard data is positive, which is negative, depends on your perspective. There are ways of making data look great by removing freedoms (mandatory voting, etc...). For people who enjoy liberty and freedom, having a lower number for voter turnout isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there is also no compulsion. The greatest country in the world is whatever the one making that proclamation thinks it is. This entire thread is silly. I'm not a nationalist, I don't make any claims that the US is the greatest country (in fact, I'll say it isn't, and would be perfectly happy in Canada, Europe or Scandinavia. I just happen to have been born in the US by chance) , but there is simply no objective way to make that determination. You can absolutely say a certain country has the highest literacy rate. A different country may have the lowest per capita murder rate. Yet another country may have the greatest amount of ethnic diversity. Another country may be the most homogenous. Lowest unemployment stats could be interesting unless it is the government who provides employment for its citizens. Again, there is no objective way to determine The Greatest Country In The World (tm). 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168

for those who say it is not, can at least one of you give an argument for at least one country that is better? all i've seen from some of you is that it is not the greatest but is no one going on record on which is best? 
    It's harder to determine what is best than it is to eliminate something from contention.

In terms of quality of life and equality, Canada is better, most of the Scandinavian countries are better, Australia might be, I don't know enough to say so.

Sadly, I think most Americans confuse "strongest" with "greatest".
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

Of course it is subjective. You can gather all of the hard data you want, but determining which hard data to prioritize, which hard data is positive, which is negative, depends on your perspective. There are ways of making data look great by removing freedoms (mandatory voting, etc...). For people who enjoy liberty and freedom, having a lower number for voter turnout isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there is also no compulsion. The greatest country in the world is whatever the one making that proclamation thinks it is. This entire thread is silly. I'm not a nationalist, I don't make any claims that the US is the greatest country (in fact, I'll say it isn't, and would be perfectly happy in Canada, Europe or Scandinavia. I just happen to have been born in the US by chance) , but there is simply no objective way to make that determination. You can absolutely say a certain country has the highest literacy rate. A different country may have the lowest per capita murder rate. Yet another country may have the greatest amount of ethnic diversity. Another country may be the most homogenous. Lowest unemployment stats could be interesting unless it is the government who provides employment for its citizens. Again, there is no objective way to determine The Greatest Country In The World (tm). 
    Nicely stated. Agree with everything you said.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    More people come here than to any other.  Ask them.
    they wouldn't know. they are probably going there to escape genocide or poverty or war or a tyrannical government. Trump seems like a teddy bear compared to that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

Absolutely nailed it.
    What is a country but a bunch of artificially and sometimes randomly placed lines on a map anyway?  WOuld make much more sense to think of the world as biological/geographical regions, and biomes.  Political boundaries generally make no sense.

Pretend it is so and check out the biome thread.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

God Bless America
    "god bless america" is one of the funniest phrases in the english language. it is so ridiculous, and egocentric, it baffles the mind. why any "god" would give two shits about a man-made geographical area is laughable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

"god bless america" is one of the funniest phrases in the english language. it is so ridiculous, and egocentric, it baffles the mind. why any "god" would give two shits about a man-made geographical area is laughable. 
    oh, i forgot.  Thor Bless The World
    oh, i forgot.  Thor Bless The World
    that's better. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It's sort of like "praying for our team to win".  I always try to picture God sitting in the middle of the huddle going, "Yeah, fuck those other guys!"

jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    nope.

I agree with this too, but I think you can come pretty close.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    I like this graphic.  It's a bit self-absorbed that we, citizens of these United States, simply refer to our nation as "America" when America is actually the name of the totality of the land consisting of the continents of North and South America.  We think we're so great that we just take the name and use it for ourselves exclusively, essentially excusing every other nation in the New World as if they're not Americans, too.

brianlux said:
    What is a country but a bunch of artificially and sometimes randomly placed lines on a map anyway?  WOuld make much more sense to think of the world as biological/geographical regions, and biomes.  Political boundaries generally make no sense.

Pretend it is so and check out the biome thread.
    Political boundaries sometimes make sense, but even then it is nonsense lol
    I like this graphic.  It's a bit self-absorbed that we, citizens of these United States, simply refer to our nation as "America" when America is actually the name of the totality of the land consisting of the continents of North and South America.  We think we're so great that we just take the name and use it for ourselves exclusively, essentially excusing every other nation in the New World as if they're not Americans, too.

that's something I've always wondered about, too. I mean, the name of the nation is the United States, not America. We're all part of the Americas. 
    Kind of like how people still call Aboriginals "Indians". Louis CK did a great bit on that when Columbus first reached America and found other people:

"hey, Indians!"
    "no, this isn't India. totally other place"
    "you're not Indians?"
    "nope"
    "nahhhh, yer Indians"

'and for hundreds of years, we still call them that'

priceless. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828

In fairness, a lot of Europeans call it America as well.
    eddiec said:

as well as the Canadian hate that spews from here. its always directed at America. 

I don't like that graphic, just because it doesn't match reality. No North American other than those from the USA refer to themselves as American. In fact, most would be insulted if someone insisted on calling them American, just like an American wouldn't be cool with being called, say, Peruvian. I don't think of the term "American" as having been appropriated from the rest of us at all. I think it is just short for the United States of America". I totally don't think of it in terms of Americans thinking they're so great they can "steal" the term from everyone else in N and S America. I think we are all very happy having our own more unique national identities. I have absolutely no desire to be grouped into such a vague and undefined definition as American, in that context. It's a great name for those from the USA though. Very clean. Plus, if everyone in the Americas are American, wtf do we call Americans? United Statites? United States of Americans? Lol, it just don't role off the tongue. ;)
    eddiec said:

as well as the Canadian hate that spews from here. its always directed at America. 
    oh get a grip. no hate. if anything, it's comical. but keep holding onto your little "everyone hates us cause we're the best" ideals that seem to get you through the day. 

no one gives a shit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    It's harder to determine what is best than it is to eliminate something from contention.

In terms of quality of life and equality, Canada is better, most of the Scandinavian countries are better, Australia might be, I don't know enough to say so.

Sadly, I think most Americans confuse "strongest" with "greatest".
    then leave.  go make turds somewhere else.
    eddiec said:

Hahaha uh oh!  Snowflake trigger alert!
    Seriously, that's a bit overdramatic.  For scale of reference, in this case a "bit" is given in a grand sense, as in "just a tiny bit of the universe is comprised of matter".
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:

Hahaha uh oh!  Snowflake trigger alert!
    Seriously, that's a bit overdramatic.  For scale of reference, in this case a "bit" is given in a grand sense, as in "just a tiny bit of the universe is comprised of matter".
    baaaaaaaa
This discussion has been closed.