Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like this graphic.  It's a bit self-absorbed that we, citizens of these United States, simply refer to our nation as "America" when America is actually the name of the totality of the land consisting of the continents of North and South America.  We think we're so great that we just take the name and use it for ourselves exclusively, essentially excusing every other nation in the New World as if they're not Americans, too.

I don't like that graphic, just because it doesn't match reality. No North American other than those from the USA refer to themselves as American. In fact, most would be insulted if someone insisted on calling them American, just like an American wouldn't be cool with being called, say, Peruvian. I don't think of the term "American" as having been appropriated from the rest of us at all. I think it is just short for the United States of America". I totally don't think of it in terms of Americans thinking they're so great they can "steal" the term from everyone else in N and S America. I think we are all very happy having our own more unique national identities. I have absolutely no desire to be grouped into such a vague and undefined definition as American, in that context. It's a great name for those from the USA though. Very clean. Plus, if everyone in the Americas are American, wtf do we call Americans? United Statites? United States of Americans? Lol, it just don't role off the tongue. ;)
    I can't see the graphic at work (images are always blocked). But I still think it's odd that the US kind of appropriated it from everyone else, but at the same time, it makes no difference to me, as I don't want to be referred to as the Canadians of the Americas. 

you have to admit it makes little sense. 

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    you have America, which is one third of North America. 
    What? but teacher, that doesn't make sense!
    Shut up Johhny, that's just how it is. don't question it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    I like this graphic.  It's a bit self-absorbed that we, citizens of these United States, simply refer to our nation as "America" when America is actually the name of the totality of the land consisting of the continents of North and South America.  We think we're so great that we just take the name and use it for ourselves exclusively, essentially excusing every other nation in the New World as if they're not Americans, too.

In fairness, a lot of Europeans call it America as well.
    as well as the Canadian hate that spews from here. its always directed at America. 
    Hahaha uh oh!  Snowflake trigger alert!
    Seriously, that's a bit overdramatic.  For scale of reference, in this case a "bit" is given in a grand sense, as in "just a tiny bit of the universe is comprised of matter".
    baaaaaaaa
    I am all out of tissues, but this is a safe space, you are welcome to bah and cry all that you need to! 
    Namaste!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    lets get back on topic... of course The United States of America is the greatest country. thats a dumb fucking question.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't like that graphic, just because it doesn't match reality. No North American other than those from the USA refer to themselves as American. In fact, most would be insulted if someone insisted on calling them American, just like an American wouldn't be cool with being called, say, Peruvian. I don't think of the term "American" as having been appropriated from the rest of us at all. I think it is just short for the United States of America". I totally don't think of it in terms of Americans thinking they're so great they can "steal" the term from everyone else in N and S America. I think we are all very happy having our own more unique national identities. I have absolutely no desire to be grouped into such a vague and undefined definition as American, in that context. It's a great name for those from the USA though. Very clean. Plus, if everyone in the Americas are American, wtf do we call Americans? United Statites? United States of Americans? Lol, it just don't role off the tongue. ;)
    I can't see the graphic at work (images are always blocked). But I still think it's odd that the US kind of appropriated it from everyone else, but at the same time, it makes no difference to me, as I don't want to be referred to as the Canadians of the Americas. 

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    Well, by all means, you could have been the United Provinces of America.

A little history behind the naming, which at the time, made sense.

In the Congressional declaration dated September 9, 1776, the delegates wrote, “That in all continental commissions, and other instruments, where, heretofore, the words ‘United Colonies’ have been used, the stile be altered for the future to the “United States.”

A resolution by Richard Henry Lee, which had been presented to Congress on June 7 and approved on July 2, 1776, issued the resolve, “That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States….” As a result, John Adams thought July 2 would be celebrated as “the most memorable epoch in the history of America.” Instead, the day has been largely forgotten in favor of July 4, when Jefferson’s edited Declaration of Independence was adopted. That document also states, “That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES.” However, Lee began with the line, while Jefferson saved it for the middle of his closing paragraph.

By September, the Declaration of Independence had been drafted, signed, printed and sent to Great Britain. What Congress had declared to be true on paper in July was clearly the case in practice, as Patriot blood was spilled against the British on the battlefields of Boston, Montreal, Quebec and New York. Congress had created a country from a cluster of colonies and the nation’s new name reflected that reality.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    I makes sense because the United States of America is the only country in North or South America with the word America right in its name.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lets get back on topic... of course The United States of America is the greatest country. thats a dumb fucking question.
    Hell yeah brosef!

Based on what criteria?  What makes it the greatest, besides the hordes who say so.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    Spain is.
    rgambs said:
    Hell yeah brosef!

Based on what criteria?  What makes it the greatest, besides the hordes who say so.
    is it not the greatest becuase you say so?  that sounds about right.
    You know when countries were great, before humans. One day they'll be great again when the world swallows us up and rebirths the beauty of it's being.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    I makes sense because the United States of America is the only country in North or South America with the word America right in its name.
    yes, United States of America makes sense. or more, if it was called United States of the Americas, but either way, I'm saying calling it "America" outright is what doesn't make sense. Anyone from another planet learning about our geography would probably surmise that calling something "America" would be an area encompassing both North and South America, not being a part of one of them. The logical assumption, without seeing a map, but seeing the names on paper, would be "isn't North America where Minnesota is?". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

no, it's a dumb fucking answer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

no, it's a dumb fucking answer. 
    :lol:
  • tbergs said:
    You know when countries were great, before humans. One day they'll be great again when the world swallows us up and rebirths the beauty of it's being.
    Also, one day, soon,
    President Trump will make America great again.
  • I don't know if it's the greatest in the world but to some it is.

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    yes, United States of America makes sense. or more, if it was called United States of the Americas, but either way, I'm saying calling it "America" outright is what doesn't make sense. Anyone from another planet learning about our geography would probably surmise that calling something "America" would be an area encompassing both North and South America, not being a part of one of them. The logical assumption, without seeing a map, but seeing the names on paper, would be "isn't North America where Minnesota is?". 
    I understand your logic. I just don't agree. I think it makes sense in real life terms, which are really all that matter at the end of the day. I'm not too concerned about what aliens might think about it. The terms is now firmly rooted in the vernacular of North and South Americans, and I figure that is all that really counts. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    rgambs said:
    Hell yeah brosef!

I am certainly willing to provide credible, factual evidence to back my opinion.
    Are you willing to do the same, or are you just here to hit and run with some sweet ass cusswords for emphasis?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    I understand your logic. I just don't agree. I think it makes sense in real life terms, which are really all that matter at the end of the day. I'm not too concerned about what aliens might think about it. The terms is now firmly rooted in the vernacular of North and South Americans, and I figure that is all that really counts. 
    well of course it is. it's just a hypothetical discussion. it doesn't bother me on a day to day basis. 

:lol: no, I'm not concerned about what aliens might think about it. I was speaking in terms of a person who had no previous knowledge of our geography, but someone (not a child) who would have the aptitude to think critically about it. 

from now on I'm going to refer to Canada as the United Provinces of America. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:
    Also, one day, soon,
    President Trump will make America great again.
    hmmmm....and here I thought he already did that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2017
    I don't know if it's the greatest in the world but to some it is.

yeah, and all of them live there. that's not biased at all. 

"this is easily the best movie ever made"
    "but you've never watched another movie"
    "I know, but all the old men in suits in front of podiums say so, so it must be true"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    edited May 2017
    "America is the greatest." This is so yay team! Cracks me up.  It's like being in high school again.  Rah rah sis boom bah!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Hell yeah brosef!

I am certainly willing to provide credible, factual evidence to back my opinion.
    Are you willing to do the same, or are you just here to hit and run with some sweet ass cusswords for emphasis?
    just to hit and run, with some sweet ass cusswords for emphasis. Yagi?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 
    well of course it is. it's just a hypothetical discussion. it doesn't bother me on a day to day basis. 

:lol: no, I'm not concerned about what aliens might think about it. I was speaking in terms of a person who had no previous knowledge of our geography, but someone (not a child) who would have the aptitude to think critically about it. 

from now on I'm going to refer to Canada as the United Provinces of America. :lol:
    And I figure they should change us on the west coast to British American, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

you have North America. 
    you have South America. 

And I figure they should change us on the west coast to British American, lol.
    no no no. columbia fits what BC is known for perfectly. :mrgreen:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    its Yagi. get it right.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    first off would you guys be satisfied if we said no it's not the greatest? would that give the haters pleasure? just curious.

and secondly who would voluntarily live in a place they don't think is the best or at least greatt? shouldn't you guys who think Australia or Scandinavian countries are the best go live there?  kind of dumb to live in a place you dislike i think (for those who are Americans (yes i used it sue me :) ).
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Adult life isn't as easy as, "if you don't like it here, then move". There's aging family. There's children. Professions. Friends. It isn't as easy as you try to make it seem. America is a good place to live, but with all of our problems, I hope that this isn't the greatest because surely someplace is more together than us at the moment. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Adult life isn't as easy as, "if you don't like it here, then move". There's aging family. There's children. Professions. Friends. It isn't as easy as you try to make it seem. America is a good place to live, but with all of our problems, I hope that this isn't the greatest because surely someplace is more together than us at the moment. 
    Agreed. And you should also add immigration laws to your list above. Vancouver is a short distance from me, and I'd be more than happy to live and work in BC, but relocating is not an easy proposition unless I was independently wealthy or had some sort of specialized skill that was in demand. My grandmother was born in Sweden, and I always thought that would be an interesting and beautiful place to live, but again, I have no idea how I'd pull that off. So in many ways, we are born into our situation, and changing it isn't simply a matter of packing up and moving.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    jeffbr said:
    Agreed. And you should also add immigration laws to your list above. Vancouver is a short distance from me, and I'd be more than happy to live and work in BC, but relocating is not an easy proposition unless I was independently wealthy or had some sort of specialized skill that was in demand. My grandmother was born in Sweden, and I always thought that would be an interesting and beautiful place to live, but again, I have no idea how I'd pull that off. So in many ways, we are born into our situation, and changing it isn't simply a matter of packing up and moving.
    Go to your nearest Swedish embassy. You could get an EU passport out of it. Always handy to have.
This discussion has been closed.