Vaccinate your kids?

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    VACCINATE YOUR KIDS

Don't be a douche
    And make sure that your vaccinations are up to date.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Many people who are parents now don't have personal history with so many of the childhood diseases for which we currently have vaccines . . . .because vaccines work. Roald Dahl dedicated The BFG to his daughter Olivia, who died of measles in 1962. It shouldn't have to happen mashable.com/2015/02/02/roald-dahl-measles-letter/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link :-S
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    Why is it that chiropractors are so against vaccines?? Or just medicine in general. I have some friends who don't vaccinate or even believe in taking their kids to the doctor but take them to a chiropractor instead. It's positively bonkers and so irresponsible, I think they are just lucky so far that their kids haven't been seriously ill. I vaccinate my child , it's just a no brainer really.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Some chiropractors think spinal manipulation cures pretty much everything. I've seen chiropractors advertise their services to cure food allergies. The founder of chiropractic treatment said "A subluxated vertebra … is the cause of 95 percent of all diseases" - with absolutely no proof. The only evidence for efficacy in chiropractic treatment is in what you might expect - back, hip and other joint issues.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Gillycw wrote: »
    Why is it that chiropractors are so against vaccines?? Or just medicine in general. I have some friends who don't vaccinate or even believe in taking their kids to the doctor but take them to a chiropractor instead. It's positively bonkers and so irresponsible, I think they are just lucky so far that their kids haven't been seriously ill. I vaccinate my child , it's just a no brainer really.

It's because they are taught in Chiro school that the medical and pharmaceutical systems and teaching are wrong. Like oftenreading said, they believe or sell the idea that their approach at "medicine" is superior and we are being mislead. Essentially that simple approaches can cure all that ailes. Chiropractors are IMO the used car salesmen of the medical industry. You may also often feel immediate relief from a joint manipulation or spine adjustment, but they are also never fixes to anything. You will have to go back over and over again and you'll likely end up with more long term damage.
    I have a couple of friends who are chiros and they shit they say is amazing and scary. And this is coming from someone who is in medical research....
    Don't buy into that shit....they are frauds!
  • GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    mca47 wrote: »

It's because they are taught in Chiro school that the medical and pharmaceutical systems and teaching are wrong. Like oftenreading said, they believe or sell the idea that their approach at "medicine" is superior and we are being mislead. Essentially that simple approaches can cure all that ailes. Chiropractors are IMO the used car salesmen of the medical industry. You may also often feel immediate relief from a joint manipulation or spine adjustment, but they are also never fixes to anything. You will have to go back over and over again and you'll likely end up with more long term damage.
    I have a couple of friends who are chiros and they shit they say is amazing and scary. And this is coming from someone who is in medical research....

Thanks for answering, I don't understand why people would believe any of that. I know someone who allowed their newborn baby to be manipulated by a chiro - just absolutely terrifying!! It seems these days that people are so disillusioned by governments and the powers that be, that they are easy fodder for every conspiracy theorist that comes along.
    Common sense - clearly not common
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited February 2015
    Has this been covered in this thread?

I had to show proof of vaccinations to put my kids in school. How do these people that want their kids to die get around this?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I think there are good chiros and bad ones, just like good doctors and bad doctors.

Been in a few car accidents, and when I went to the doctor, they just gave me muscle relaxers, and told me to take ibuprofen. I had headaches and pain for over a year.
    I tried a chiropractor, and he actually gave me a schedule, when I finished, he said I could come back for regular adjustments or not. When I went for my last accident, I had severe migraines, and would vomit from the pain, never took any pain medication, just saw him for my adjustments, it was great for me-in about 9 months, I was pain and migraine free. Still am to this day 4 years later.
    He took before and after spinal x-rays, and I could see a difference. (yes I also know how to read radiographs)

I see them as more like acupuncturists, they practice more eastern-style medicine.. I don't fully believe in 'herbs and supplements will cure any/everything' but I do believe that they can help alleviate certain things-it's all about balance in life. And I do think you should vaccinate your kids.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote: »

I think there are good chiros and bad ones, just like good doctors and bad doctors.

Been in a few car accidents, and when I went to the doctor, they just gave me muscle relaxers, and told me to take ibuprofen. I had headaches and pain for over a year.
    I tried a chiropractor, and he actually gave me a schedule, when I finished, he said I could come back for regular adjustments or not. When I went for my last accident, I had severe migraines, and would vomit from the pain, never took any pain medication, just saw him for my adjustments, it was great for me-in about 9 months, I was pain and migraine free. Still am to this day 4 years later.
    He took before and after spinal x-rays, and I could see a difference. (yes I also know how to read radiographs)

I see them as more like acupuncturists, they practice more eastern-style medicine.. I don't fully believe in 'herbs and supplements will cure any/everything' but I do believe that they can help alleviate certain things-it's all about balance in life. And I do think you should vaccinate your kids.
    Like I said, there's evidence for efficacy in dealing with spinal and some other musculoskeletal issues, just not anything else, and not even necessarily any greater evidence than for physiotherapy. Just be cautious if your chiropractor tells you he/she can cure your asthma or ear infection!

I had to show proof of vaccinations to put my kids in school. How do these people that want their kids to die get around this?

The requirements vary by state. There are apparently only two states that don't allow any exemptions for religious/personal preference, but only for valid medical reasons such as allergy to the vaccine ingredients. Just coincidentally, those two states have not had any outbreaks of these vaccine-preventable diseases in many years.

The requirements vary by state. There are apparently only two states that don't allow any exemptions for religious/personal preference, but only for valid medical reasons such as allergy to the vaccine ingredients. Just coincidentally, those two states have not had any outbreaks of these vaccine-preventable diseases in many years.

Interesting. I still think people are nuts for not vaccinating their children.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I know a group of people who legally created a "religion" so they dont have to get their kids vaccinated.
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    I know a group of people who legally created a "religion" so they dont have to get their kids vaccinated.

I would create a religion to keep from paying taxes, not from vaccinating. These people make me sick.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Like I said, there's evidence for efficacy in dealing with spinal and some other musculoskeletal issues, just not anything else, and not even necessarily any greater evidence than for physiotherapy. Just be cautious if your chiropractor tells you he/she can cure your asthma or ear infection!

agreed, he was against vaccines-but didn't push it. He was mainly about taking care of the body, and eating clean, I did enjoy talking to him about the evils of Monsanto.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Exhuming this old thread to post this, which I read today.

http://www.salon.com/2017/04/15/a-stealth-move-michigan-refines-vaccine-waivers-improves-rate-among-kids_partner/

Michigan found an effective way to significantly increase childhood vaccinations by a simple route - make obtaining a waiver more inconvenient. Not refusing it, mind you; just making it more inconvenient. Those who really have the strength of their convictions can get one easily enough, while those who don't, won't. And the kids will get vaccinated and will be protected against a host of serious illnesses.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    ^^Good for Michigan. Texas might do well to do likewise, considering they have their highest rate of mumps in 20 years. cnn.com/2017/04/14/health/mumps-texas/index.html
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Here in South Australia (not sure about the other states) they have made it compulsory for kids to be vaccinated to attend public preschool and school. Both my kiddos are done but I know many that don't. I do understand the fear of them but when you see babies with whooping cough or even kids that can't be protected by vaccines I think its necessary. I'm sure there are reactions and I can't begin to understand what those parents go through but I guess that's the risk we take. The chances of a reaction or the chances of contracting one of those diseases?
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • So if you are vaccinated an unvaccinated person should not be a threat....àpparently only herd behavior(mass vacination) protects one from disease.. yet we still fear the few that dont vacinate..so how does vacination make you safe against a disease if we are still fearing a non vacinated person? Let alone all of the side effects clearly responsible for disease that is worse than what the vaccine is trying to erradicate...to each their own...sovereign body right to choose what we put into our bodies or take from them....brain stem cell...placenta cells...bone marrow..plasma...yada yada yada
    Vaccines are not 100% effective, so herd immunity is important. Some are close to 100%, some are much less.

And no, in virtually all cases the side effects are not worse than the disease.

As per the article, parents can still choose not to vaccinate. I personally think it's misguided and risky, and many parents have come to regret it. Also, they are not choosing for their own bodies, they are choosing for the body of another individual. That's part of the rights and responsibilities of being a parent, but to me it demands a greater thoughtfulness than simply choosing for yourself.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    But Jenny McCarthy told me not to do it and she's famous.
    mace1229 said:

That's a compelling argument.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

mace1229 said:

That's a compelling argument.
    Besides.. 90% of FB users say it is a gov'mnt e-ssperiment to implement mind control.. I say the gov'ment conspiracy is a conspiracy.. but what do I know.. I don't use FB.. :lol:
  • JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    I find that most if not all individuals are misinformed on vaccinations. The research is present and up to date that demonstrates vaccination causes a slew of diseases. If one we were to pub med, and look up Lupus, 2009 Nov;18(13):198-204, they would read how vaccination is associated with transverse myelitis. Compared to measles, mumps, pertussis(whooping cough) this condition is devastating. But if not your kid, who cares. Another, Clin Chim Acta. 2006 Feb;364(1-2):196-204. Epub 2005 Aug 10, Am J Dis Child, 1984 Oct;138(10);908-11, Neurology. 2004 Sep 14;63(5):838-42, I could go on and on with the research (medical, not chiropractic or naturopath) that shows vaccines are not as safe as people are led to believe. I meet more individuals who know more about their ipod than they know what they are jabbing into their child. (currently Mr Kennedy and De Niro are offering $100,000 for one (1) article that shows/ demonstrates the safety of vaccines/ thimerosol) Quick cash if you ask me, so far two months in and no takers! Many posts showing support of vaccines, but where is the research that supports this? I have asked a pediatrician to name the components of a vaccine, I get a blank stare and a handout that says nothing but what the FDA & CDC want one to know. Really? My mechanic can name everything under my vehicles hood and size of bolts, nuts, and oil ratings, and etc... but a doctor cannot tell me what is in a vaccine. Interesting. And I thot the medical profession were professsionals. First law of biology says adapt or die! We foolishly think we are saving our children only to find out the organisms we vaccinate against are already adapting and moving forward. (outbreaks......why most outbreaks involve vaccinated children...read the reports, not the news agency who are being told what to say...the health department only reports facts and not emotions.) If they worked, why boosters? One bout of chicken pox and immune for life. Three jabs to do the same? Does not make medical sense, or evolutionary sense. If we had to have chicken pox 3 times to survive, we would have faded years ago on the savannah of Africa. Just not efficient for life. But for a food source...very good for the lions and other large predators. Ever ask a doctor (medical) about the immune system and viruses? If no, then do so. They learn theory on both, not actual.They miss the science to study how to relate to pharma reps, which in itself is not bad, but until they show proof vaccines are safe, as Mr Kennedy is attempting to do, then I will consider for my children. The human mind is very simple, and easily led astray. how do I know, I observe what is happening around me. Anything mandated by government agencies is the first step in the wrong direction for humanity. I end my rant.
    JS81606 said:

I find that most if not all individuals are misinformed on vaccinations. The research is present and up to date that demonstrates vaccination causes a slew of diseases. If one we were to pub med, and look up Lupus, 2009 Nov;18(13):198-204, they would read how vaccination is associated with transverse myelitis. Compared to measles, mumps, pertussis(whooping cough) this condition is devastating. But if not your kid, who cares. Another, Clin Chim Acta. 2006 Feb;364(1-2):196-204. Epub 2005 Aug 10, Am J Dis Child, 1984 Oct;138(10);908-11, Neurology. 2004 Sep 14;63(5):838-42, I could go on and on with the research (medical, not chiropractic or naturopath) that shows vaccines are not as safe as people are led to believe. I meet more individuals who know more about their ipod than they know what they are jabbing into their child. (currently Mr Kennedy and De Niro are offering $100,000 for one (1) article that shows/ demonstrates the safety of vaccines/ thimerosol) Quick cash if you ask me, so far two months in and no takers! Many posts showing support of vaccines, but where is the research that supports this? I have asked a pediatrician to name the components of a vaccine, I get a blank stare and a handout that says nothing but what the FDA & CDC want one to know. Really? My mechanic can name everything under my vehicles hood and size of bolts, nuts, and oil ratings, and etc... but a doctor cannot tell me what is in a vaccine. Interesting. And I thot the medical profession were professsionals. First law of biology says adapt or die! We foolishly think we are saving our children only to find out the organisms we vaccinate against are already adapting and moving forward. (outbreaks......why most outbreaks involve vaccinated children...read the reports, not the news agency who are being told what to say...the health department only reports facts and not emotions.) If they worked, why boosters? One bout of chicken pox and immune for life. Three jabs to do the same? Does not make medical sense, or evolutionary sense. If we had to have chicken pox 3 times to survive, we would have faded years ago on the savannah of Africa. Just not efficient for life. But for a food source...very good for the lions and other large predators. Ever ask a doctor (medical) about the immune system and viruses? If no, then do so. They learn theory on both, not actual.They miss the science to study how to relate to pharma reps, which in itself is not bad, but until they show proof vaccines are safe, as Mr Kennedy is attempting to do, then I will consider for my children. The human mind is very simple, and easily led astray. how do I know, I observe what is happening around me. Anything mandated by government agencies is the first step in the wrong direction for humanity. I end my rant.

First, as someone said above, thimersol (mercury) is not used in any childhood vaccinations, so that point is irrelevant to this discussion.

Second, life is risk. Being alive involves risk. Eating, sleeping, walking, bathing; all involve risk. Driving or being driven in a car involves far higher risk that getting vaccinated. Of course no one can show that vaccines are "safe", if you are asking for 100% safety. Nothing in life is. By any objective measure, based on a multitude of studies, the benefits outweigh the risks.

I don't really know what you are referring to in most of the rest of your post, particularly "they learn theory on both, not actual", so I'll just stop here with my two points above.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JS81606 said:

I've never seen Nickelback in concert and there are no crocodiles where I live. Therefore, me avoiding Nickelback shows is the reason crocodiles don't live here.

Correlation does not equal causation.
  • JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    First, as someone said above, thimersol (mercury) is not used in any childhood vaccinations, so that point is irrelevant to this discussion.

Second, life is risk. Being alive involves risk. Eating, sleeping, walking, bathing; all involve risk. Driving or being driven in a car involves far higher risk that getting vaccinated. Of course no one can show that vaccines are "safe", if you are asking for 100% safety. Nothing in life is. By any objective measure, based on a multitude of studies, the benefits outweigh the risks.

I don't really know what you are referring to in most of the rest of your post, particularly "they learn theory on both, not actual", so I'll just stop here with my two points above.

#1. The claim was it was removed in 1992, Thimerasol, but according to a 2009 study reported in J. Pediatr. 2009 Apr;154(4);154-520, they found Thimerasol in the flu shot and said in contributed to sever neurological diseases and or death. Interesting read. I guess relevancy is in the eye of the beholder. Please show scientific data to support said claim and it cannot be from the CDC or FDA, or big pharma. Independent study. Best of luck. (Same individuals who claimed WMD in Iraq! (I chose not to drink the kool aid) ) I also lump aluminum into this as well. It has yet to be removed, and here is a nice read: J Inorg Biochem, 2011 Nov;105(11);1489-99. regarding aluminum.
    #2. Life is a risk, but why would I want to risk 1 in 53 chance of autism in my child, which from last time I checked, lasts a lifetime, over a case of the measles which lasts 5-7 days and my kid is fine afterward. Not so much with the autistic child to adult. Again not my kid, really not my problem. Odds of being hit my a car. 1 in 120, autism is 1 in 50, so yeah the odds are in your favor. Math?
    #3. Primary care doctors learn theory of immunity, not the actual actions and processes. Therefor they are operating on limited information and are IMHO inadequate to make claims regarding the safety and efficacy of vaccinations. Have you ever studied immunology? Does immunisation equate to vaccination? Read. Subscribe to pub med and learn what the facts are. I have read comments from celebrities and others, they are just comments formulated based on their opinions, (almost seems a religion the way people defend the jabs!) as are mine. I just prefer to have science supporting mine.

I still have yet to discover why some children seem unharmed from jabs, while others are, but I do know this, allergies, asthma, leukemias, neurological diseases are all on the rise in the pediatric population, and it is not better diagnosing. Something to think about.
    The flu shot isn't considered one of the childhood vaccinations as it isn't in the schedule of recommended childhood vaccinations.

Vaccinations don't cause autism, full stop. They just don't. There is zero evidence that they do and masses of evidence that they don't.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

The flu shot isn't considered one of the childhood vaccinations as it isn't in the schedule of recommended childhood vaccinations.

Vaccinations don't cause autism, full stop. They just don't. There is zero evidence that they do and masses of evidence that they don't.

I would honestly look more at the crap that's in all this processed food we eat more than a vaccine.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

+1
    Anti-vaxxers are the modern day flat-earthers.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Thank you for bringing these articles and opinions to the forefront..and happy to see the discussion stay civil. The anecdotal and personal experiences i have had backed with plenty of research after the fact is what has led me to believe that we are not being exposed to the full story on vaccines and the risks by drug companies that sell on mass to government...protecting the industry seems more important than continuously reviewing the methods and recipes for cure of disease. The side effects and incidents go unreported and are not used in statistics. My nephew at age nine stopped breathing a day after his routine shots..had severe brain swelling fever...just a coincidence...he recovered with homeopathic care very well and is a thriving adult...I have had the pleasure of working with children with special needs for 20 ought years and many parents have a medical intervention story to tell regarding the onset in the cases of autism...research..research by independant science that will not be quashed by the pharma company's interests is what typically i have read. Again thank you for taking the time to cite articles etc. It is time consuming to seek alternatives and easier for some more than others to be satisfied with evidence that comes to their attention through commercial interests that dont even allow their scientist to fully publish evidence..by blackballing them in the scientific community..court ordered gags and full claim of corperate ownership of the research...kinda like musicians and artists not having rights to their own creations...anywho...not an easy awnser to be had when it comes to individual health choices