Ticket pricing

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

Ill also ad that fame and fortune change people. Ed today is a completly different person than Ed of the 1990's.

I've never met Ed. I can't speak to what he was like in the 90's versus what he is like today.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Yes it does suck that the ticket prices are high. But if it's the promoters fault on the high cost of ticket prices & not ED then don't spend a single dime on food & beverages @ these arenas. Just go there to support ED. Buy some ED merch & enjoy the show. It's worth it. I've seen 6 EV solo shows back in '08. Worth every penny. Still haven't seen him solo supporting his Ukulele Songs. Someday he'll tour solo supporting that record up here in the North. Someday ..
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
    This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Iron Maiden, U2, GNR. Dave Matthews band are playing Hammersmith at around £60 a ticket. U2 and GNR are bigger acts than PJ and EV, Iron maiden probably are as well. Dave Matthews band i included as they are playing the same venue and have a whole band to account for along with associated costs. They are certainly on a par with EV at least although imagine they are probably a bigger act. Not sure how they would compare to PJ though.

Ed Sheeran one of the biggest tours to sell in recent times is only £77 a ticket. i could go on but you get the picture.

And PJ, as yet, haven't ripped off their UK fans.
    Wow, 60 euro for that festival is amazing, and you folks are paying better prices than we are. I just paid $119 after fees for a single night at Boston Calling.

What are U2 & GnR charging for their solo shows? Last year GnR prices in the US were insane to start, but when sales faltered they started dropping.

Based on your post though, it looks like Euro concerts are cheaper than in the US.
    UK concerts are way cheaper than the US but the gap is closing as you can see. Some acts are forcing the prices up and others are following them. Too many people are now being priced out. Even some of the smaller gigs that were £25/30 a few years ago are now hitting the £50/60 mark.

U2 is £78 standing. Seated tickets go from £40 up to £187. i think the upper prices are a rip off but at least you have other options.
    GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Maiden is about £65 from memory.
    Dave Matthews as has been pointed out is not the band but 2 band members and it's £52.
    Hold on now, if GnR is 85 - 95, and U2's average price is over 100, then Eddie isn't out of line with the 100 price tag, especially not for a 3-5K seat theater.

I misread your earlier post & thought you were paying around 60 Euro for those acts.

Sounds to me like Eddie's shows are priced fairly for the market over there.
    Think you're missing the point. Those bands are established high end acts. vedder on his own isn't anywhere close to the size of those bands and U2 and GNR are stadiums gigs. Even though it now appears sites have changed the ticket band pricing for Vedder his top price ticket is still way over priced.
    Smaller venues SHOULD cost more - would you rather see him in a 3K seat venue or a 50K seat venue?

We'll find out in a week or two if it's overpriced. If it is, the tickets won't sell.

If it's not, it will sell out quickly.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

100 pounds is equal to $122 usd. You guys really think this is expensive? Maybe it s because I m used to New York metro prices but if my exchange rate is correct I find this to be really cheap.

I don't even know a Republican that has the balls to say that.
    Have you ever been to a broadway play, yankees/rangers/giants game? I mean good seats are well over $100 for pretty much all events.
    $100 doesn't equal £100.
    You have to see past that.
    I do understand what you are saying since the dollar is strong right now but again to me, not a heck of a lot of money. I'd see him once and be done with it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    worth every nickel...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    lolobugg said:

JimmyV said:

In London £100 gig tickets are very rare, I think this is the part that people are overlooking.

Big artists in big venues, big artists in small venues, mid level bands in mid levels venues, it's very very rare that £100 is the norm.
    Sting is playing the same venue as EV and it's £60.00

You can espouse rhetoric on touring, market forces, the weak pound, brexit, downloads, any number of about 50 other things I've read tonight but the straight fact is that £100 for EV at Hammersmith Apollo is extortion and a rip off.
    Notably when it was £50 5 years ago. A 50% markup is chancing of the highest order

If you go I hope you have a lovely time as his solo live he is amazing but at those prices i'll be passing.

Extortion? Good god.
    someone needs to look into Ed's ties with Russia
    To be leaked any day now :)
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    dottles said:

ill give u an exable..
    im going to dave matyhew -tim reynolds shows at different cities of march- april vienna - prague
    same artist,same capacity of venues..same show,same promoter..
    one show has 140 euros per tix,the other has 60 euros!!!!
    all has to do with the venue and the promoter set prices cos of that..
    one is the famous symphonic orchestra plays,kick ass acoustic one of the best in europe..the one ion prague is a normal small theater..
    the artist gets the same fee and has nothing to do with the prices
    the promoter to book the venue and pay the artist sets the prices so he earl money and not lose,,at one venue price is 140 euros,..the other 60 euros

But Dimitris, you must understand that no matter what the circumstance behind the price increases, be it a promoter or the artist, the issue is that the inflation of ticket prices isn't matched by the inflation in earnings, and the decreases in currency values. Other acts have not increased prices as much, despite using the same promoters.

Take a ticket/tour cost. Roughly 84% of the gross overall cost, after paying taxes and PRS, is carved up between the band and their promoter.

There are fixed expenses such venue hire, stage hands, venue staff, electricians, power, spotlight hire, scaffolding, barriers, catering, public liability insurance (in case anyone is injured at the show), rigging, medical staff, transport etc. Many times the venue will pay for that out of its cut, but that will depend on the particulars of the deal struck.

That can leave anything between 50% and 70% of the gross, but there are no specific rules as to how that is divided between the act and the promoter. A commonly quoted figure is that the promoter will take 15% of what is left and the act will get 85%. But it will depend on if the promoter really has to work to get the show to sell out or if they are pushing on an open door and demand is so high it sells out in seconds. In those instances, the promoter may get as little as 5%; but for arena shows charging $150 or more for tickets, that 5% quickly adds up.

I have seen that you are not travelling to the UK etc as it will cost you more, you didn't on the last PJ tour either - but did in 2010. Prices for all aspects have increased. Just because people express their concern at the ticket prices, and the impact that has on them does not mean that they are wrong to do so or are devaluing the artist.

things are simple,,music intustry works that way..isnt that i like it or not..is fair or not..
    is like buy a car..we all may want to buy a ferrari but isnt mean its ferrari problem ,its my problem that i cant afford it..
    u cant expect to see eddie vedder with cheap ticket in a cool venue..
    i poost above 10c tickets prices of 2014 tour...i paid 50 euros at 2010 to see pj at italy,,yeah,,was a festival in a park..but at san siro..the most epic stadium in europe price was almost triple...
    again..same artist,,in one city has 60 euros,,in another better venue..140!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dottles said:

ill give u an exable..
    im going to dave matyhew -tim reynolds shows at different cities of march- april vienna - prague
    one is the famous symphonic orchestra plays,kick ass acoustic one of the best in europe..the one ion prague is a normal small theater..
    the promoter to book the venue and pay the artist sets the prices so he earl money and not lose,,at one venue price is 140 euros,..the other 60 euros

But Dimitris, you must understand that no matter what the circumstance behind the price increases, be it a promoter or the artist, the issue is that the inflation of ticket prices isn't matched by the inflation in earnings, and the decreases in currency values. Other acts have not increased prices as much, despite using the same promoters.

Take a ticket/tour cost. Roughly 84% of the gross overall cost, after paying taxes and PRS, is carved up between the band and their promoter.

There are fixed expenses such venue hire, stage hands, venue staff, electricians, power, spotlight hire, scaffolding, barriers, catering, public liability insurance (in case anyone is injured at the show), rigging, medical staff, transport etc. Many times the venue will pay for that out of its cut, but that will depend on the particulars of the deal struck.

That can leave anything between 50% and 70% of the gross, but there are no specific rules as to how that is divided between the act and the promoter. A commonly quoted figure is that the promoter will take 15% of what is left and the act will get 85%. But it will depend on if the promoter really has to work to get the show to sell out or if they are pushing on an open door and demand is so high it sells out in seconds. In those instances, the promoter may get as little as 5%; but for arena shows charging $150 or more for tickets, that 5% quickly adds up.

I have seen that you are not travelling to the UK etc as it will cost you more, you didn't on the last PJ tour either - but did in 2010. Prices for all aspects have increased. Just because people express their concern at the ticket prices, and the impact that has on them does not mean that they are wrong to do so or are devaluing the artist.

things are simple,,music intustry works that way..isnt that i like it or not..is fair or not..
    is like buy a car..we all may want to buy a ferrari but isnt mean its ferrari problem ,its my problem that i cant afford it..
    i poost above 10c tickets prices of 2014 tour...i paid 50 euros at 2010 to see pj at italy,,yeah,,was a festival in a park..but at san siro..the most epic stadium in europe price was almost triple...
    London hammersmith 2012 - £50
    London hammersmith 2017 - £100

Same venue, same lineup, same artist.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    This comes up almost every time that a PJ/EV event is announced. I don't think anyone would argue that that $100 in ANY currency is a nice chunk of someone's hard earned money but people have to be realistic. If you look at any of the top touring acts, PJ/EV pricing is YEARS behind most other big bands. Most of which certainly wouldn't play in the 2.5-5 hours range. Most of them will give you 1.5-2 hours worth of show. PJ/EV are still giving great value. Comparing pricing to tours is in previous years doesn't really work either. Nothing stays the same prices from year to year. As any business sees an increase in their costs, their product pricing increases. Folks also have to factor in all the costs for the tour. Venues, Travel, Hotels, Insurance, Management costs, promoter costs, crew wages, artists cut. All of those things add up, especially with less tickets to sell in small venues. With PJ/EV tickets prices still being behind the others, they are leaving A LOT of money on the table. I don't think its greedy for them to make a substantial amount of money for what they give back to the fans. They charge WAY less than they could. They are entitled to make a fair living for what they do. If they are leaving money on the table and it still prices some fans out of the market, I don't think its fair to say is greedy its just unfortunate circumstances.
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    I think all this yapping is misplaced anger over the fact that there was no PJ announcement.
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Please take a moment to read the rules. Personal attacks are not ok.

Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I think the problem is it happened so fast. They could slowly raise the prices each tour and there probably wouldnt be an issue. But this seems out of the blue

But to some of you Ed can do no wrong, and thats simply not the case. Its not all the promoters fault.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136

dottles said:

ill give u an exable..

I don't think you get my point, never mind.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    i just got my tax return, but I have bills to pay

I think the problem is it happened so fast. They could slowly raise the prices each tour and there probably wouldnt be an issue. But this seems out of the blue

But to some of you Ed can do no wrong, and thats simply not the case. Its not all the promoters fault.

& there it is.

dottles said:

ill give u an exable..

London hammersmith 2012 - £50
    London hammersmith 2017 - £100

Same venue, same lineup, same artist.
    seems u dont get man,,
    not 5 years earlier!!!!!!
    im ttalking about 2 shows a day after eachother..
    dave mathews..140 euros at vienna 31th march,.next day 1st april at prague..60 euros!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    it's not the price of the tickets or even the announcements timing (although more than 2 days would probably be nice for some people)

it's the air travel, lodging, food, ground transportation, who's going to feed the dog? #shitaddsup

I know I don't need any Trump backlash either. I didn't vote for that orange fuck.
    (Sea sorry about the name calling but that guy's a total douche.)
    edited March 2017
    dottles said:

dottles said:

ill give u an exable..

I don't think you get my point, never mind.
    got it ,but my opinion is different how the prices of shows goe and how music intustry works and how booka tour andf how the deals are with preomoters,manager of artist,venues etc
    edited March 2017
    There are SO many factors that go into it, but in the end it's just easier to say the artist is greedy & fans who disagree with that notion are just apologists.

Facts & reality be damned.
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Tiki said:

it's not the price of the tickets or even the announcements timing (although more than 2 days would probably be nice for some people)

it's the air travel, lodging, food, ground transportation, who's going to feed the dog? #shitaddsup

I know I don't need any Trump backlash either. I didn't vote for that orange fuck.
    (Sea sorry about the name calling but that guy's a total douche.)

Is orange fuck actually name calling? Or merely tanning preference observation?
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Does anything cost the same as it did in 2012?
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    RP112579 said:

Man, I remember when a dime bag only cost a dime.
    edited March 2017
    If I called him that orange pig-fucker, or maybe an orange rapist...pretty sure that's name calling.

Much like this tour, it's not all about America, idiot. I just called him an idiot, sorry. my bad.
  • Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    I was shocked when I saw the price but ultimately it's still Eddie goddamn Vedder in a smallish venue, something I am yet to witness and i'm pretty sure i'll walk out of there not regretting it one bit
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RP112579 said:

Fuel is cheaper... so that doesn't explain the increase
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    my2hands said:

RP112579 said:

The increase doesn't need to be explained
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Merkin said:

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.

But the 50 something fans with kids at home have a lot more disposable income than PJ having not made millions in their younger years?

Isn't Hansard the supporting act? There's a price he commands as well no?

He charged just over £40 in a similar venue just a year ago, for a full show with his own opener.
    Vedd Hedd said:

My guess is last time Glen got a smaller % of the money. This time, you are seeing 2 acts, not just one.

You're not going to get 2 hours of Glen and 2 of Ed..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

100 pounds is equal to $122 usd. You guys really think this is expensive? Maybe it s because I m used to New York metro prices but if my exchange rate is correct I find this to be really cheap.

But thats comparative because the pound is weak and the dollar is strong currently.
    A few years back the average was about 1.7.

The real price should be about $170-200 and if you factor in that whatever that price is, the last time the same place was played it was $90 I'm sure you can understand why it's shit for a lot of people
    Yeah I see your point but we're not talking huge amounts of money. Don't buy a few pints this week and there's the difference. ;)
    Maybe with this new pricing ev is trying to let more people see his shows and not the same people over and over and over again?
    I agree. it's not huge amounts of money in the grand scheme of things.
    I can easily afford it. It's the principle thats bugged me
    If we all avoided things on principle, none of us would ever have or do anything.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RP112579 said:

my2hands said:

RP112579 said:

The increase doesn't need to be explained
    No shit, thanks for clarifying lol

I remember people complained about the prices for EV Amsterdam shows in 2012...

It was trendy a few years ago to excuse away all cost increases, on anything, on the cost of fuel... the new excuse is probably security

I happen to think this is a good discussion, not really staking out a position.

But I will say $385 for a pair of EV tix seems pretty crazy to me.

I do agree with an earlier post that said the cost of all live events has gone up in recent years and is getting a little silly.

• kevtickevtic Posts: 133

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Iron Maiden, U2, GNR. Dave Matthews band are playing Hammersmith at around £60 a ticket. U2 and GNR are bigger acts than PJ and EV, Iron maiden probably are as well. Dave Matthews band i included as they are playing the same venue and have a whole band to account for along with associated costs. They are certainly on a par with EV at least although imagine they are probably a bigger act. Not sure how they would compare to PJ though.

Ed Sheeran one of the biggest tours to sell in recent times is only £77 a ticket. i could go on but you get the picture.

And PJ, as yet, haven't ripped off their UK fans.
    Wow, 60 euro for that festival is amazing, and you folks are paying better prices than we are. I just paid $119 after fees for a single night at Boston Calling.

What are U2 & GnR charging for their solo shows? Last year GnR prices in the US were insane to start, but when sales faltered they started dropping.

Based on your post though, it looks like Euro concerts are cheaper than in the US.
    UK concerts are way cheaper than the US but the gap is closing as you can see. Some acts are forcing the prices up and others are following them. Too many people are now being priced out. Even some of the smaller gigs that were £25/30 a few years ago are now hitting the £50/60 mark.

U2 is £78 standing. Seated tickets go from £40 up to £187. i think the upper prices are a rip off but at least you have other options.
    GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Maiden is about £65 from memory.
    Dave Matthews as has been pointed out is not the band but 2 band members and it's £52.
    Hold on now, if GnR is 85 - 95, and U2's average price is over 100, then Eddie isn't out of line with the 100 price tag, especially not for a 3-5K seat theater.

I misread your earlier post & thought you were paying around 60 Euro for those acts.

Sounds to me like Eddie's shows are priced fairly for the market over there.
    Think you're missing the point. Those bands are established high end acts. vedder on his own isn't anywhere close to the size of those bands and U2 and GNR are stadiums gigs. Even though it now appears sites have changed the ticket band pricing for Vedder his top price ticket is still way over priced.
    Smaller venues SHOULD cost more - would you rather see him in a 3K seat venue or a 50K seat venue?

We'll find out in a week or two if it's overpriced. If it is, the tickets won't sell.

If it's not, it will sell out quickly.
    Why should smaller venues cost more? All the costs are lower. Way way lower than the cost for Wembley or Twickenham. I'd prefer to see any band in a 3k venue rather than a 50k. The point is those other bands can sell out 50k venues or bigger. Eddie can't.

I don't doubt the venue will sell out but it doesn't mean it is not overpriced IMO. At the top level ticket price.
This discussion has been closed.