Ryan Adams News/Info

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    edited February 2017

Did anyone here end up getting that deluxe box? I wonder if they're shipping out this week. God damn I wish I'd ordered that.

The deluxe box is, somewhat surprisingly, still available in PaxAm's store. You can still buy one here:
    https://ryanadams.shopfirebrand.com/collections/vinyl/products/prisoner-end-of-world-edition

The fact that it's still available begs the question as to why all the fuss w/ the way the pre-sale for it was set up? Were the pre-sale notices, special passwords and unique urls for "subscribers" really necessary? If anything they gave the impression that the set was much more 'limited' that it actually is. Cool boxset nonetheless but, perhaps, a bit of misleading marketing gimmicks.

....or maybe sales lagged based on high price point...? Looking forward to streaming the full album later today via NPR
    Post edited by jjflash on
  • I think maybe it didn't sell as well as expected. Just look at the posters in this thread who passed on it, like MFC, one of the biggest DRA fans I know and even he passed due to the cost. 17 bsides couldn't even do the job. I think I'll get this box eventually if it's available, but I can't justify the cost right now.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

I think maybe it didn't sell as well as expected. Just look at the posters in this thread who passed on it, like MFC, one of the biggest DRA fans I know and even he passed due to the cost. 17 bsides couldn't even do the job. I think I'll get this box eventually if it's available, but I can't justify the cost right now.

yup. too pricey & not a fan of all 7" singles. I definitely want the bsides & hope that he releases those on their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mfc2006 said:

I think maybe it didn't sell as well as expected. Just look at the posters in this thread who passed on it, like MFC, one of the biggest DRA fans I know and even he passed due to the cost. 17 bsides couldn't even do the job. I think I'll get this box eventually if it's available, but I can't justify the cost right now.

yup. too pricey & not a fan of all 7" singles. I definitely want the bsides & hope that he releases those on their own.
    Imagine if Pearl Jam released a Ten reissue version like this. 11 7" with the album tracks on side A and 11 b-side demos... holy crap we would be all over that.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Yeah, I think 7" + price point turned alot of people off.

I still bought it. It looks badass.
    MedozK said:

mfc2006 said:

Imagine if Pearl Jam released a Ten reissue version like this. 11 7" with the album tracks on side A and 11 b-side demos... holy crap we would be all over that.
    you're probably right!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • His ticket prices were kind of expensive this go round, too. Is he having to pay alimony??
    I'm through with screaming
  • His ticket prices were kind of expensive this go round, too. Is he having to pay alimony??

With as successful as her show is on NBC and already moving on to another dude...he better not be.

Hey MFC, I know you're a musician as well. How do you play Feels Like Fire? It sounds like maybe 3 chords in the whole song but there's something I can't put my finger on it. I play it in F with the capo on 3. I've got the F and Bb figured out. The theory in me makes me think it's a variation of C that I'm missing. Have you ever tried to play it? I think it's one of the catchiest songs he's ever released and would have been a great single from the last record.
    edited February 2017

His ticket prices were kind of expensive this go round, too. Is he having to pay alimony??

With as successful as her show is on NBC and already moving on to another dude...he better not be.

Hey MFC, I know you're a musician as well. How do you play Feels Like Fire? It sounds like maybe 3 chords in the whole song but there's something I can't put my finger on it. I play it in F with the capo on 3. I've got the F and Bb figured out. The theory in me makes me think it's a variation of C that I'm missing. Have you ever tried to play it? I think it's one of the catchiest songs he's ever released and would have been a great single from the last record.
    I learned it using this tab/chord chart. It sounds pretty accurate to me.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/ryan_adams/feels_like_fire_crd.htm

great song, btw
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Hmmmm. That's an interesting take on it. I'll try that later.

You gonna get his VCR pedal?

Hmmmm. That's an interesting take on it. I'll try that later.

You gonna get his VCR pedal?

at least I think that's the one I used...haha. I know that I capo at the 5th, so that's why that one jumped out at me. I'll grab my guitar when I get home.

I didn't know the pedal was for sale?!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    just found it online. I'd have to try it out first, I think. I just got a new pedal, so now may not be the best time.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815

I dunno....there was a ton of positive feedback on his IG feed where lots of folks were saying they'd purchased a copy of the deluxe.

I'm presently about 1/2 thru my first stream of the full album.....sounds incredible so far.
    jjflash said:

I dunno....there was a ton of positive feedback on his IG feed where lots of folks were saying they'd purchased a copy of the deluxe.

I'm presently about 1/2 thru my first stream of the full album.....sounds incredible so far.
    it's a great album for sure. took me longer to get into it than his last, but I really love it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:

jjflash said:

it's a great album for sure. took me longer to get into it than his last, but I really love it.
    That's exactly how I was with this album. It took longer to get into but now that it's sunk in...wow. That's how I am with amazing albums though. Not always accessible on the first listen.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I was just the opposite. I thought his was more immediate than the last 2. It's probably his best album since the 2005 run. I may even like it more than 29 which puts this album in the upper half of his officially released solo catalog.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    just give me the B sides... i dont want all the other bullshit...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    UK and Ireland tour announced today. September dates.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Show was great last night at the Apollo. Band was very tight. Ryan fantastic, especially his voice.

New songs sounded terrific. Especially Outbound Train and Doomsday.

Setlist:

Do You Still Love Me?
    Magnolia Mountain
    Dirty Rain
    Prisoner
    Kim
    Haunted House
    Peaceful Valley
    Let It Ride
    Breakdown
    Everybody Knows
    Outbound Train
    Gimme Something Good
    Am I Safe
    Cold Roses
    Fix It
    Anything I Say To You Now
    Doomsday (Solo acoustic)
    Wonderwall (Solo acoustic)
    To Be Without You
    When The Stars Go Blue
    Shakedown on 9th St

Encore:
    Come Pick Me Up
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    new tour announced this morning.
  • just give me the B sides... i dont want all the other bullshit...

Yeah. I think that's mostly what I'm concerned with as well.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2017

mfc2006 said:

jjflash said:

That's exactly how I was with this album. It took longer to get into but now that it's sunk in...wow. That's how I am with amazing albums though. Not always accessible on the first listen.
    That's kinda funny just because I find his albums hit and miss at best - I really don't like the majority of them (and 1989 is my fave, which isn't even his own music, and Taylor Swift songs no less, lol), and generally think of him as only being really good when he plays live - but I enjoyed this new album on first listen.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    prisoner is a real solid album... DRA hasnt been this good for awhile... downbound train, breakdown, freaking sax in tightrope! im totoally loving it. this is an unbiased opinion. ;):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    That boxset is $200 USD to Canada, the collector in me is twitching cause I know I shouldn't..... stoked for the Canadian tour dates.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I decided not to listen to any leaks, and avoided streaming until I had my copy... My cd hasn't arrived yet, and the download link (from ordering the box) only arrived this morning. That will teach me to wait!

It's been on repeat all morning though, great album :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    goldrush said:

I decided not to listen to any leaks, and avoided streaming until I had my copy... My cd hasn't arrived yet, and the download link (from ordering the box) only arrived this morning. That will teach me to wait!

It's been on repeat all morning though, great album :)

This what I'm doing, going to get it from the record store sometime this week. My dog and I will have an exclusive first listen together.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited February 2017
    Has anybody received their presale code for the UK/Irish shows? I signed up for it but haven't heard a thing and presale is tomorrow morning.
    Edit: Never mind. Just got it.
    Post edited by eddiec on

Show was great last night at the Apollo. Band was very tight. Ryan fantastic, especially his voice.

Setlist:

Do You Still Love Me?
    Magnolia Mountain
    Dirty Rain
    Prisoner
    Kim
    Haunted House
    Peaceful Valley
    Let It Ride
    Breakdown
    Everybody Knows
    Outbound Train
    Gimme Something Good
    Am I Safe
    Cold Roses
    Fix It
    Doomsday (Solo acoustic)
    To Be Without You
    When The Stars Go Blue
    Shakedown on 9th St

Encore:
    Come Pick Me Up

still ending with come pick me up??? i love that song but i think its time for a change. :)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589

prisoner is a real solid album... DRA hasnt been this good for awhile... downbound train, breakdown, freaking sax in tightrope! im totoally loving it. this is an unbiased opinion. ;):)

Love that sax part in Tightrope, reminds me so much of a Bruce song. This album is really damn good.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Show was great last night at the Apollo. Band was very tight. Ryan fantastic, especially his voice.

Setlist:

Do You Still Love Me?
    Magnolia Mountain
    Dirty Rain
    Prisoner
    Kim
    Haunted House
    Peaceful Valley
    Let It Ride
    Breakdown
    Everybody Knows
    Outbound Train
    Gimme Something Good
    Am I Safe
    Cold Roses
    Fix It
    Doomsday (Solo acoustic)
    To Be Without You
    When The Stars Go Blue
    Shakedown on 9th St

Encore:
    Come Pick Me Up

still ending with come pick me up??? i love that song but i think its time for a change. :)

Nooooo. :)
    I'm through with screaming