Comments

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Lol did you notice the small hands.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

A guy in a Donald Trump mask?

Come on Eddie.....enough already.

That minute and a half ruined it for you, eh?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PianoManKDPianoManKD Posts: 125
    BinFrog said:

I don't recall saying the night was ruined, but thanks for playing.

Sorry for voicing an opinion on a message board. I forgot it's not allowed.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    That was hilarious!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

BinFrog said:

Why would that have anything to do with Eddie? He wasn't the one wearing the mask.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    I was more upset that Red Mosquito was scratched twice from the weekend, but hey, the tiny hands was funny as hell.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    tschav said:

I was more upset that Red Mosquito was scratched twice from the weekend, but hey, the tiny hands was funny as hell.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2016

I wish Eddie was being a lot more political than that. Just a guy coming out in a Trump mask? Come on Eddie.... there is so much more that could be said and done. Trump, Clinton, and just the whole bloody mess is presenting so much material, and all you've got is some dude in a Trump mask, which probably actually had nothing to do with you in the first place? So sad.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I think maybe Eddie finally realized what being in a rock n' roll band is all about. I'm sure he'll have plenty of rants in the future (there can be a time and a place *cough* Raleigh), but it's almost like he grew up a little during these concerts. I couldn't be happier that any major politicizing was left at the door.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

BinFrog said:

And you must have forgotten that you might get a response to your post.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

BinFrog said:

And you must have forgotten that you might get a response to your post.
    Like a dog chasing it's own tail.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    You went to a PJ show and got upset that a political reference was made............
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    He apologized Friday night for something he said about Trump, I thought the mask was a nice touch Sunday. Though I thought he was gonna get the cake to his face haha
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    It was pretty hilarious
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    It was a political statement sure but that particular statement looked more like an inside joke on the guy who's birthday it was. Except for the small hands. That part was definitely a shot at trump. :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

He apologized Friday night for something he said about Trump, I thought the mask was a nice touch Sunday. Though I thought he was gonna get the cake to his face haha

I wonder when Eddie got scared of a tiny bit of political controversy? :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    CP218430 said:

I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
    I respectfully disagree with you here .I honestly got tired of all the political rants during previous tours, whether I agreed or not I myself want to get away from all that BS when I go to a show, as im in touch with politics and current events on a daily basis and when I got to a rock show for me that's an escape from the norm. I know they are political and he can say what he wants and I respect that, but I think even Ed got the sense that it went a little overboard at times. I like how he does it now, its more subtle, direct, and he moves along rather than going on a tangent. I think when he did go on that rants it killed some of the momentum of the shows, but that's just my observation. Most Pearl Jam fans believe whatever he does, so its preaching to the choir at times. I think he is trying to make changes in a different way now and as he gets older you cant sound so bitter, but try and create change in different ways.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

BinFrog said:

Of course you're allowed to voice an opinion. But apparently you think it's only one-way since you feel silenced by other's voicing their opinions about your opinion? Everyone can voice how they feel. But don't get all hurt or offended just because some disagree or see it differently.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    edited August 2016
    ---
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I would like to see a return to more politics. Bring on the anti-Trump rants at Wrigley!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

^^ I second this emotion^^
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

Maybe you should read his full statement or watch video of when he apologized - I thought his larger message was much more politically important and useful than an all-out biting attack on Trump. Read/watch it then see if you feel the same...maybe you will, but I think his larger message is exactly what progressives missed and how Trump got this far.
  • Options
    The world is a better place with a less political Eddie Vedder. And it's not that I don't mostly agree with him or anything, it's just a tired routine. Again, I'm sure he's going to be back to his old ways before long, but I'm going to enjoy these shows way more because they did what they do best without the nonsense.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    I think it is tough to rail on Trump when Clinton is the other option. 2/3 of the country despises both. A lot of the stuff he said in the past can easily be described about Clinton as well. Obviously, Trump is a disaster. Its really a "no win" this election cycle. Hillary has already won anyway, was decided in the back rooms years ago. Everything you are seeing now is basically a dog and pony show.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    edited August 2016
    teskeinc said:

I think it is tough to rail on Trump when Clinton is the other option. 2/3 of the country despises both. A lot of the stuff he said in the past can easily be described about Clinton as well. Obviously, Trump is a disaster. Its really a "no win" this election cycle. Hillary has already won anyway, was decided in the back rooms years ago. Everything you are seeing now is basically a dog and pony show.

Pretty sure that Trump getting to point of being the GOP candidate proves that back room deals can still be turned Topsy turvy. Because no one in GOP denies they never thought he'd get this far.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I've never been offended by Ed's political rants, as some call them. But I'm not like, disappointed, when I go to a rock show and the singer doesn't proselytize about politics. If he wants to, fine, but it's not the primary purpose of why I'm there. I don't miss it if it's not there. That's just weird.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

Maybe you should read his full statement or watch video of when he apologized - I thought his larger message was much more politically important and useful than an all-out biting attack on Trump. Read/watch it then see if you feel the same...maybe you will, but I think his larger message is exactly what progressives missed and how Trump got this far.
    you nailed it....I like the messages that he is spreading now about all of us coming together and respecting one another...this is a more grounded Vedder than I have ever seen him..I think we get enough attack dog tactics from politicians like Trump and others

• Options
    edited August 2016
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I respectfully disagree with you here .I honestly got tired of all the political rants during previous tours, whether I agreed or not I myself want to get away from all that BS when I go to a show, as im in touch with politics and current events on a daily basis and when I got to a rock show for me that's an escape from the norm. I know they are political and he can say what he wants and I respect that, but I think even Ed got the sense that it went a little overboard at times. I like how he does it now, its more subtle, direct, and he moves along rather than going on a tangent. I think when he did go on that rants it killed some of the momentum of the shows, but that's just my observation. Most Pearl Jam fans believe whatever he does, so its preaching to the choir at times. I think he is trying to make changes in a different way now and as he gets older you cant sound so bitter, but try and create change in different ways.

Yeah, I'm aware that some don't like it. But I do. I like that kind of passion, even if it's controversial, and for me it makes a show memorable rather than ruining any momentum. If he is trying to makes changes politically in a different way now, I don't think I'm seeing it.... unless you mean playing at an Obama fundraiser. To me he is coming off more as apathetic, not as someone who has just refocused his efforts. Remember the uproar he caused and then how he released that single of Imagine and that letter to confront the press about his anti-war rant? That actually really seemed to excite a lot of fans. It kind of created an energy that we hadn't seen in a long time IMO. and it inspired a LOT of conversation on the topic. So I do think there is still a hunger for shit like that (with some), and a useful purpose for it. I guess he decided he didn't like the spotlight it shone on him though. Too bad, because his ability to get in the spotlight and make some important points was a positive I thought, and, up until recently, he thought so too.
    He doesn't even advocate for women anymore. Not sure why he dropped that. He was so into it in the 90s. We could really use more voices like that now. Male feminists are the ones who could really change things, but not enough of them are stepping up.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on