Options

Night 2 was perfect BUT....

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    The small hands was funny :lol: I suppose no one had an issue with Ed dissing A-Rod on night 2? :tongue:
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Hillary never didn't vote for war. She is America's Bibi.
    bootleg said:

He sure still sang Masters of War like it was directed at somebody. That passion is still there.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited August 2016
    Suziemay said:

The small hands was funny :lol: I suppose no one had an issue with Ed dissing A-Rod on night 2? :tongue:

I don't so much have a problem with Eddie criticizing certain physical features. It's not like he's Jesus, lol. It's pretty human to do that and I'm not very PC or whatever. Plus Eddie has always made jabs at various people when he feels like it. That's nothing new. Trump deserves any and all criticism and insults thrown at him in any case. If people want to talk about how he has a micro-penis, I am not bothered. I more have an issue with the lack of originality, lol. I feel like that any time I hear anyone mention Trump's tiny hands. It was played out about 2 days after it first came up! ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited August 2016
    Much like DJT, the OP, and every DJT "enthusiast" I have encountered, is way too thin skinned and way too quick to call foul every time they're even remotely questioned. I heard the USA USA USA chants too, but like those Bu$hleaguer fucks out on Long Island, you people couldn't be more misguided. Can you imagine if Ed ripped into that clown Milton Keynes style? You'd have a riot going on because those people are about 3 clicks past the point of listening to reason.

Some one way more intelligent than me once said "patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings".

And...bye-bye A-rod.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited August 2016

Maybe it has to do with him not being able to stomach a perceived endorsement of Clinton. He was pretty vocal about supporting Bernie Sanders at MSG 2 when it looked like he still had a chance.

I think Ed has always struggled with this. In 2000 he actively endorsed Nader. Bush won by a thin margin. In 2004, they joined Vote For Change, which, while it never really mentioned Kerry, was definitely about "Anybody But Bush."

I don't think Ed wants anything to do with endorsing a mainstream Democrat with the last name of an eight-year president. But I would bet he feels pretty ill about a Trump Presidency.

For my part, I don't really care what they do. I loved what they were doing in 2003. But then again, it was bordering on dangerous for a couple of years there to suggest W was anything less than a God. There was more value to someone saying (albeit it not always in a constructive way) "wait a second, let's acknowledge this guy's shortcomings." And, frankly, it was ballsy. To go after Trump is just kinda cliche and to make it meaningful would take a couple-minute monologue on how he's not qualified and crazy. This would be met with a lot of cheers drowning out a smattering of boos and nobody's mind would change. Knowing that the majority of the crowd feels like I suspect he feels (Trump is awful; Clinton is not as bad) and reminding them to vote (some for Clinton, some 3rd, very few for Trump) is probably more productive. When he apologized for bringing up the name, I thought he was spot on; doing that just tears us apart and there's enough of that going around.

So I don't really care what they do. The election does not swing on what one band with a dedicated, but ultimately small, following says at its concerts.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
    I respectfully disagree with you here .I honestly got tired of all the political rants during previous tours, whether I agreed or not I myself want to get away from all that BS when I go to a show, as im in touch with politics and current events on a daily basis and when I got to a rock show for me that's an escape from the norm. I know they are political and he can say what he wants and I respect that, but I think even Ed got the sense that it went a little overboard at times. I like how he does it now, its more subtle, direct, and he moves along rather than going on a tangent. I think when he did go on that rants it killed some of the momentum of the shows, but that's just my observation. Most Pearl Jam fans believe whatever he does, so its preaching to the choir at times. I think he is trying to make changes in a different way now and as he gets older you cant sound so bitter, but try and create change in different ways.

I couldn't agree more. The columbia show was a perfect mixture of politics and show. He spent a few minutes on why they cancelled the Raleigh show and then went into some shit south Carolina law makers were proposing, and that was it. Maybe prince dying that same day saved us from more.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    For those of us who weren't there, photos, please!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited August 2016

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
    I respectfully disagree with you here .I honestly got tired of all the political rants during previous tours, whether I agreed or not I myself want to get away from all that BS when I go to a show, as im in touch with politics and current events on a daily basis and when I got to a rock show for me that's an escape from the norm. I know they are political and he can say what he wants and I respect that, but I think even Ed got the sense that it went a little overboard at times. I like how he does it now, its more subtle, direct, and he moves along rather than going on a tangent. I think when he did go on that rants it killed some of the momentum of the shows, but that's just my observation. Most Pearl Jam fans believe whatever he does, so its preaching to the choir at times. I think he is trying to make changes in a different way now and as he gets older you cant sound so bitter, but try and create change in different ways.

I couldn't agree more. The columbia show was a perfect mixture of politics and show. He spent a few minutes on why they cancelled the Raleigh show and then went into some shit south Carolina law makers were proposing, and that was it. Maybe prince dying that same day saved us from more.
    I think that a few minutes spent on politics during a show is perfectly reasonable (or no time at all for the matter). Just want to reiterate that I am talking more "bigger picture".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Link to PJ Trump vid...although it's from a ways back....the audio is worth it.

Having been at both the Hampton and Columbia shows on this tour, the pre and post Raleigh dates, I also think its possible that Ed isn't interested in confrontation, OR he really thinks that pontificating about how insane the DJT campaign is borders on preaching to the choir. Theoretically.

I would hope that the earlier mentioned riot would be pretty small, and easily contained.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcFAJMOOQNQ
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    I was not there Sunday but on Friday night he navigated it perfectly thru the music !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

Yeah, I'm aware that some don't like it. But I do. I like that kind of passion, even if it's controversial, and for me it makes a show memorable rather than ruining any momentum. If he is trying to makes changes politically in a different way now, I don't think I'm seeing it.... unless you mean playing at an Obama fundraiser. To me he is coming off more as apathetic, not as someone who has just refocused his efforts. Remember the uproar he caused and then how he released that single of Imagine and that letter to confront the press about his anti-war rant? That actually really seemed to excite a lot of fans. It kind of created an energy that we hadn't seen in a long time IMO. and it inspired a LOT of conversation on the topic. So I do think there is still a hunger for shit like that (with some), and a useful purpose for it. I guess he decided he didn't like the spotlight it shone on him though. Too bad, because his ability to get in the spotlight and make some important points was a positive I thought, and, up until recently, he thought so too.
    He doesn't even advocate for women anymore. Not sure why he dropped that. He was so into it in the 90s. We could really use more voices like that now. Male feminists are the ones who could really change things, but not enough of them are stepping up.
    Having a family changes people.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

Yeah, I'm aware that some don't like it. But I do. I like that kind of passion, even if it's controversial, and for me it makes a show memorable rather than ruining any momentum. If he is trying to makes changes politically in a different way now, I don't think I'm seeing it.... unless you mean playing at an Obama fundraiser. To me he is coming off more as apathetic, not as someone who has just refocused his efforts. Remember the uproar he caused and then how he released that single of Imagine and that letter to confront the press about his anti-war rant? That actually really seemed to excite a lot of fans. It kind of created an energy that we hadn't seen in a long time IMO. and it inspired a LOT of conversation on the topic. So I do think there is still a hunger for shit like that (with some), and a useful purpose for it. I guess he decided he didn't like the spotlight it shone on him though. Too bad, because his ability to get in the spotlight and make some important points was a positive I thought, and, up until recently, he thought so too.
    He doesn't even advocate for women anymore. Not sure why he dropped that. He was so into it in the 90s. We could really use more voices like that now. Male feminists are the ones who could really change things, but not enough of them are stepping up.
    True.... with my last point though, you'd think have two daughters would inspire him to step it up, not back off.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

True.... with my last point though, you'd think have two daughters would inspire him to step it up, not back off.
    Ehh, dude is 50 or so now a days. It's tiring. He does his few minutes per show and moves on. I'm way ok with it.
  • Options
    I just want male feminists to step up. We need them desperately. Eddie gave me hope. Too bad.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I just want male feminists to step up. We need them desperately. Eddie gave me hope. Too bad.

He's still does. Asking more of him now seems a bit greedy.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

He does? When?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

He does? When?
    I don't know. Try googling eddie vedder feminist causes. I'm sure you'll find something. My point is the guy has been a very vocal male influence in the feminist movement since 1992. Do you think he just stopped because you don't hear about it?
  • Options

brianlux said:

Cool! Thank you, Asterisk!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

He does? When?
    Two years straight playing at GCF.

That's one thing he's doing for women's rights around te world.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I know it's probably not a popular opinion around here, but I think Ed should have called out our sitting president a little more often. I guess he became star struck after meeting him. Imagine if a republican president won the Nobel peace prize and then proceeded to use drone strikes to kill people around the world. You bet your ass Ed would have flamed him in some half buzzed rant at a show.
  • Options
    Ed looked and sounded like he was having too much fun in centerfield at Fenway Park to be caught up in the bullshit of Donald effing Trump.

Besides, how is this not a Pearl Jam endorsed political anti-DJT statement?

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

He does? When?
    Two years straight playing at GCF.

That's one thing he's doing for women's rights around te world.
    I guess. I was thinking more specific, like Alan Alda has attempted and like Eddie did in the 90s.
  • Options
    Pretty cookie heart squares all around, yeah!

• Options
    Yeah you can bet your bottom $ Ed is very involved in humanitarian causes he covers the whole spectrum !
  • Options
    JS219630JS219630 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA Posts: 5
    The night was great and I'll remember it forever. Wish they played Red Mosquito on sunday but I'll hear it again somewhere. The energy during Cordouroy to Hail Hail was amazing. I too had to catch my breath and was seeing stars from singing... Loved the stories from Ed...a lot more talking then usually but it was great.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Yeah you can bet your bottom $ Ed is very involved in humanitarian causes he covers the whole spectrum !

That isn't what I happen to be talking about Jose, but I am aware of Eddie's active charitable causes. They aren't secret.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That isn't what I happen to be talking about Jose, but I am aware of Eddie's active charitable causes. They aren't secret.
    No I know , I get what your saying !
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

No I know , I get what your saying !
    :)
    I will always admire how philanthropic Eddie and the rest of the band is. Way beyond what most other bands do in that context.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

brianlux said:

Thanks, nice shot. Bootlegs have gotten so much better! I remember the days of trading tapes, asking what generation tape it was. Getting excited you found an early generation copy, only to find it was off some cheap tape recorder that sounded like there was a sock over it.