Options

Night 2 was perfect BUT....

124»

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:

Pretty cookie heart squares all around, yeah!

That was funny
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

brianlux said:

Pretty cookie heart squares all around, yeah!

That was funny
    It's my favorite PJ lyric!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    "all that's sacred comes from youth". I think that, as you age and have a family, you tend to mellow out a bit. I know I have. And I still think he apologized not for what he said about Trump, but that he "soured the evening with his name".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited August 2016

"all that's sacred comes from youth". I think that, as you age and have a family, you tend to mellow out a bit. I know I have. And I still think he apologized not for what he said about Trump, but that he "soured the evening with his name".

I still think it was more an apology about stirring up any controversy or dissension during a show, not for putting a bad taste in people's mouths just by reminding people he exists.
    I don't know the kid part - I'm sure you're right - but I don't think age has anything to do with it. Kids mellow people out, but it doesn't seem like people without kids mellow much in this context as they get older. At least I haven't noticed that. I know I'm not, lol. Kids don't always do it either though. Neil Young has kids and is over 70 and still fighting the good fight. So does Bernie Sanders and he's 74. So does Elizabeth Warren, she's I think 67 or something. So did John Lennon, not old, but certainly extremely driven and outspoken politically. and whole lot of other people who continue to be extremely outspoken about various issues. So yeah, I think it might just have more to do with the individuals personal decisions and sense of passion than it does having kids and getting older, not that people don't allow kids and age be a factor in that. I just don't consider it a given. For all we know, Eddie seems relatively mellow in these terms because he doesn't care care as much or has changed his views or is scared of controversy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I still think it was more an apology about stirring up any controversy or dissension during a show, not for putting a bad taste in people's mouths just by reminding people he exists.
    I don't know the kid part - I'm sure you're right - but I don't think age has anything to do with it. Kids mellow people out, but it doesn't seem like people without kids mellow much in this context as they get older. At least I haven't noticed that. I know I'm not, lol. Kids don't always do it either though. Neil Young has kids and is over 70 and still fighting the good fight. So does Bernie Sanders and he's 74. So does Elizabeth Warren, she's I think 67 or something. So did John Lennon, not old, but certainly extremely driven and outspoken politically. and whole lot of other people who continue to be extremely outspoken about various issues. So yeah, I think it might just have more to do with the individuals personal decisions and sense of passion than it does having kids and getting older, not that people don't allow kids and age be a factor in that. I just don't consider it a given. For all we know, Eddie seems relatively mellow in these terms because he doesn't care care as much or has changed his views or is scared of controversy.
    maybe "mellowing out" is the wrong term. I think acting out of knowledge and objectivity rather than raw anger is more what I mean. Sure, Ed used to ramble incessantly at shows about the environment, human rights, animal rights, women's rights, etc. Maybe he has realized he needs to pick his spots more carefully so as to make a better impact? I mean, how many people at those shows listened to all of his politicizing? He would tackle 4 or 5 or more issues per show, sometimes in the same ramble. It's exhausting. And I also think it depends on his mood of the day. He used to act like a an angry curmudgeon at the best of times. Now he seems happy at shows. Not seething like he used to. So I'm sure that plays a factor. Why bring the mood down when he's jumping around like Pete Townshend? Especially when they are playing fewer shows now. I think it was easier to fit that stuff in on a full tour.

Maybe he's realized that sometimes positive energy (playing benefits) is better for tackling these issues rather than ranting and raving?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Okay, but just to be reiterate, because I think most are misunderstanding what I'm saying, I'm not talking about incessant ramblings on stage (though I have never ever found him incessant to be honest. One 2 or 3 minute-long passionate speech during a show is hardly incessant rambling, let's be fair here). I'm talking about pointed efforts and statements and actions like he used to do. Serious discussion, usually off-stage or specifically themed for onstage, not to mention his actual music, which has really dropped off. I'm not talking about just raw anger and ranting on stage (to me that was just a symptom that he happened to have from having a strong voice, and angry, rude Eddie never much appealed to me). I am 100% behind positive energy or at least useful energy for such causes. Eddie used to have plenty of that, and that kind of voice is what I miss about him. Silly angst was never my thing and has no place in serious discussion about such things.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Okay, but just to be reiterate, because I think most are misunderstanding what I'm saying, I'm not talking about incessant ramblings on stage (though I have never ever found him incessant to be honest. One 2 or 3 minute-long passionate speech during a show is hardly incessant rambling, let's be fair here). I'm talking about pointed efforts and statements and actions like he used to do. Serious discussion, usually off-stage or specifically themed for onstage, not to mention his actual music, which has really dropped off. I'm not talking about just raw anger and ranting on stage (to me that was just a symptom that he happened to have from having a strong voice, and angry, rude Eddie never much appealed to me). I am 100% behind positive energy or at least useful energy for such causes. Eddie used to have plenty of that, and that kind of voice is what I miss about him. Silly angst was never my thing and has no place in serious discussion about such things.

ok, gotcha. yes, no question his music has gotten decidedly less political. save for Mind Your Manners.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow, 25 years of "fighting the good fight" isn't enough for some.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Oh please. That's a more appropriate comment for that cesspool Facebook group.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not sure what you're referring to, but your coming off pretty unappreciative.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well I'm not, but even if I were, so what? Also, how so? What is wrong with wishing a strong voice were still a strong voice?
  • Options
    "Rust Never Sleeps."
    "It's better to burn our than it is to rust."
    Neil knows how to get it done.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    Suziemay said:

The small hands was funny :lol: I suppose no one had an issue with Ed dissing A-Rod on night 2? :tongue:

I did
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well I'm not, but even if I were, so what? Also, how so? What is wrong with wishing a strong voice were still a strong voice?
    How so? He is still a strong voice. And you're asking for more.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

How so? He is still a strong voice. And you're asking for more.
    I'm not asking for more. I'm just expressing that I wish he was giving more like he used to. No big deal.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Maybe he (like others, over time) gives in different ways, and not "seen" by others?

Among the stones I've come across - and tripped over - on my own road, strength in voice or action still resonates, even if not heard or seen beyond ourselves.
  • Options
    I think we need both- the strong "never give in" and the more reflective, strong but gentle voices.

Examples:

Strong voices (most of which have stayed punchy for the long run):
    Already mentioned:
    Neil Young
    Bernie Sander
    Elizabeth Warren
    Plus:
    Henry Rollins
    Abbey Hoffman
    Derek Jensen
    Cptn. Paul Watson
    George Carlin
    Mark Twain
    Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Gentle but strong voices:
    Edward O. Wilson
    Bill McKibben
    Masanobu Fukuoka
    Mother Teresa
    Helen Keller
    The Dali Llama
    Paul Ehrlich
    Pete Seeger
    Florence Nightingale

I think of EV as one of the more outspoken, stronger voiced types. I can't quite picture him the soft-spoken pacifist. But who know?

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Trump is a joke and everyone knows it. He's getting slammed in the polls.

What do you want Ed to say or do about Trump that hasn't already been said or done?

I think a lot of people are reading a whole lot into an off-hand comment from the stage at Fenway.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I've never been offended by Ed's political rants, as some call them. But I'm not like, disappointed, when I go to a rock show and the singer doesn't proselytize about politics. If he wants to, fine, but it's not the primary purpose of why I'm there. I don't miss it if it's not there. That's just weird.

It's not the reason I'm there either, but I miss his voice in politics for sure. I wouldn't feel any different no matter who we were talking about. A appreciate strong voices of protest a lot, and Eddie not doing that anymore just means one less voice. It has nothing to do with my specific concert experience. I don't miss it if it's not there at a show I'm at (been to shows where he didn't mention it at all, and that's fine). I miss it in general.
    he has seen 8 years of progress and positive change. there's no real reason for him to go on a political rant at shows at this point. he didn't start getting really riled up until after Bush was already in power, not before.
    What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. The more people who can draw attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same (though I did support that).
    Didn't they just cancel an entire show in support of LGBT issues? I seem to recall that being a big deal.

Maybe you think they did that against Ed's will?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I just saw this that you added to a post:

JH6056 said:

Lastly, I would be very careful about thinking you know the breadth of what he cares passionately about or the extent of his activism based on what he says during concerts. He's been doing this for 25 yrs... maybe he feels like he's figured out better ways to more effectively use his influence? You're making serious assumptions about his heart and actions based on his stage statements...

I know what Eddie is up to when it comes to his charitable activities and whatever he does publicly. I'm not making any assumptions about his heart. I am basing my opinion on his actions, on stage and off.
    You seem kind of irritated, and I'm not sure why. :)
    I'm not irritated, I'm just reflecting your own words back to you and you're, we'll revising your statements. You said "I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. ". That is obviously making an assumption he's not as involved or interested anymore. But you say you're making no assumptions...ah, ok.

At the end of the day it's obviously fine to have different opinions on the meaning of what he said, whether it was political or not, or what we each want or expect from his public voice. I don't dispute that now, nor have I ever. I just find sometimes people jump to other places in their assumptions and since they put that opinion out there, I can ask about those statements.

For this discussion today, that's all I have to say about his Fenway apology and any opinions on it in this thread. Happy Monday y'all!
    I haven't revised a single statement, and I don't think that observing behaviour is making an assumption at all. He is NOT as involved anymore. Anyone can see that.
    Maybe you can explain what he was clearly doing in the 90s that he is clearly not doing now?

I still consider Ed a fairly public activist on a number of different causes.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I don't know that he's "not as involved" anymore. Just not as outspoken at shows. Maybe he does not see the value in going on three-minute rants of which 2/3 of the crowd approves, while the rest mope or say "play a song!" I appreciated some of them (and I tend to agree with him on things) but I never really thought there was true value to most of it. In Boston he reminded people of the Massachusetts deadline to register; that probably goes further than all the soapboxing some of us would like him to do. Even 10 to 15 years ago when he was more outspoken on state, he still had a bent of "you people just need to be heard. Don't waste those opportunities." And, given the likely mix of the band's fans, pushing them into involvement is probably more productive than telling them what to think.

I think the shot at Trump, a simple piece of low-hanging fruit, was sort of an impulse and he apologized, perhaps because he know that it's an easy laugh but does not really further dialog.

2003 Eddie was probably angrier and less polished, if you will. But he was also taking a stand against what was borderline hero-worship of the President. Dissenters were being shut down. It was not a good time in America to dissent. It was a strange time in this country and while his Bush rants probably did not change much, there is something to be said for someone to stand up in front of thousands of people and say "hey, cool it on the hero-worship." Seeing the reactions of the crowds, I'd legitimately say it was gutsy to go up there and question some of the blind nationalism that was occurring and some of the policies. Sure, you could always say there are policies to question, but it really was a strange time. Liberals are often accused of shouting down other ideas. And it's true at times. But today's liberal does not hold a candle to post-911 Bush-worshipers (which was probably 2/3 of the country). That was something to speak out against and to offer another side to.

Talking about Trump? Meh. I think most of us know he's a buffoon. And those who don't are just that much more sure of themselves when Trump is criticized. A subtle reminder to get involved, to care about your community, and to vote is probably more effective.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I've never been offended by Ed's political rants, as some call them. But I'm not like, disappointed, when I go to a rock show and the singer doesn't proselytize about politics. If he wants to, fine, but it's not the primary purpose of why I'm there. I don't miss it if it's not there. That's just weird.

It's not the reason I'm there either, but I miss his voice in politics for sure. I wouldn't feel any different no matter who we were talking about. A appreciate strong voices of protest a lot, and Eddie not doing that anymore just means one less voice. It has nothing to do with my specific concert experience. I don't miss it if it's not there at a show I'm at (been to shows where he didn't mention it at all, and that's fine). I miss it in general.
    he has seen 8 years of progress and positive change. there's no real reason for him to go on a political rant at shows at this point. he didn't start getting really riled up until after Bush was already in power, not before.
    What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. The more people who can draw attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same (though I did support that).
    Didn't they just cancel an entire show in support of LGBT issues? I seem to recall that being a big deal.

I specifically mentioned that in the post you quoted there. It's the last sentence.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I specifically mentioned that in the post you quoted there. It's the last sentence.
    So I'm not getting your point. "They aren't as active supporting causes, except when they are but that doesn't count."

You're spinning your wheels.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

So I'm not getting your point. "They aren't as active supporting causes, except when they are but that doesn't count."

You're spinning your wheels.
    No I'm not. I said that the NC cancellation was passive and symbolic. Obviously I am saying that, while I liked that decision, I wish Eddie were being more active than that, like he used to be. I was pretty clear about it. My saying that doesn't discount what he and/or the band DO do.