Options

Night 2 was perfect BUT....

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
    Maybe you should read his full statement or watch video of when he apologized - I thought his larger message was much more politically important and useful than an all-out biting attack on Trump. Read/watch it then see if you feel the same...maybe you will, but I think his larger message is exactly what progressives missed and how Trump got this far.
    I did watch the video the night he said it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I've never been offended by Ed's political rants, as some call them. But I'm not like, disappointed, when I go to a rock show and the singer doesn't proselytize about politics. If he wants to, fine, but it's not the primary purpose of why I'm there. I don't miss it if it's not there. That's just weird.

It's not the reason I'm there either, but I miss his voice in politics for sure. I wouldn't feel any different no matter who we were talking about. A appreciate strong voices of protest a lot, and Eddie not doing that anymore just means one less voice. It has nothing to do with my specific concert experience. I don't miss it if it's not there at a show I'm at (been to shows where he didn't mention it at all, and that's fine). I miss it in general.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    PJ_Soul said:

He apologized Friday night for something he said about Trump, I thought the mask was a nice touch Sunday. Though I thought he was gonna get the cake to his face haha

I wonder when Eddie got scared of a tiny bit of political controversy? :frowning:
    he didn't apologize for the words he said. he apologized for giving trump any unnecessary publicity or attention. he wanted those two nights to be positive.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

I've been listening to a lot of 03 and 06 shows and those were just scathing indictments on politics - they've actually dialed it down a bunch and I think for fans that are on the other side of the aisle. The fact that they have't played Trumpleaguer, Glorified G, Rival, Evacuation, Gimme Some Truth and railed before each song shows great restraint. Truly, look back and those shows from 03 and 06 are political rallies - now they do it Springsteen style and keep it zipped for the most part.

I actually consider it a display of weakness on Eddie's part rather than something admirable, but obviously that is reliant on our personal feelings about politics in music. But I think my perspective is pretty valid, because Eddie himself set me up to expect him to not just back off like he's doing. I personally think a non-political Eddie Vedder is less interesting than the old Ed (not that I'm no longer a big huge fan. I am. But still... I feel like something's been lost).
    Maybe you should read his full statement or watch video of when he apologized - I thought his larger message was much more politically important and useful than an all-out biting attack on Trump. Read/watch it then see if you feel the same...maybe you will, but I think his larger message is exactly what progressives missed and how Trump got this far.
    So you'd rather he jumped on the "blast Trump" wagon? It's not bothering to focus on understanding the seemingly un-understandable supporters of Trump and only focusing on his obvious flaws that got us into this mess. He's absurdly flawed, but only blasting him does zero to get to his supporters.

But of course you have every right to want him to blast him... some of us think though that what he did say shows far more political astuteness, since blasting Trump didn't stop him from getting the nomination.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

So you'd rather he jumped on the "blast Trump" wagon? It's not bothering to focus on understanding the seemingly un-understandable supporters of Trump and only focusing on his obvious flaws that got us into this mess. He's absurdly flawed, but only blasting him does zero to get to his supporters.

But of course you have every right to want him to blast him... some of us think though that what he did say shows far more political astuteness, since blasting Trump didn't stop him from getting the nomination.
    No, I didn't even say I wanted him to talk about Trump at all, specifically. I am talking more generally.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    PJ_Soul said:

I've never been offended by Ed's political rants, as some call them. But I'm not like, disappointed, when I go to a rock show and the singer doesn't proselytize about politics. If he wants to, fine, but it's not the primary purpose of why I'm there. I don't miss it if it's not there. That's just weird.

It's not the reason I'm there either, but I miss his voice in politics for sure. I wouldn't feel any different no matter who we were talking about. A appreciate strong voices of protest a lot, and Eddie not doing that anymore just means one less voice. It has nothing to do with my specific concert experience. I don't miss it if it's not there at a show I'm at (been to shows where he didn't mention it at all, and that's fine). I miss it in general.
    he has seen 8 years of progress and positive change. there's no real reason for him to go on a political rant at shows at this point. he didn't start getting really riled up until after Bush was already in power, not before.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

No, I didn't even say I wanted him to talk about Trump at all, specifically. I am talking more generally.
    You criticized him for apologizing and said you thought that was weak. You said that knowing the rest of what he ssid. If you weren't looking for him to blast Trump, what did you want instead of his apology? You're calling him non-political, which I completely disagree with, but what are you saying you wanted to hear from him on this issue?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

he has seen 8 years of progress and positive change. there's no real reason for him to go on a political rant at shows at this point. he didn't start getting really riled up until after Bush was already in power, not before.
    What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. The more people who can draw attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same (though I did support that).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

CP218430 said:

You criticized him for apologizing and said you thought that was weak. You said that knowing the rest of what he ssid. If you weren't looking for him to blast Trump, what did you want instead of his apology? You're calling him non-political, which I completely disagree with, but what are you saying you wanted to hear from him on this issue?
    I was just thinking of that as an example. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I would really rather hear from him about those other issues I just mentioned. But yes, I don't think anyone should ever apologize for mentioning something like Trump the maniac running for POTUS. Of course I like cooperation and whatnot, but there are limits. I'm not about to be concerned about someone who is mad that someone criticized Trump, lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to me. The more people who can draw attention and call attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same.
    Every single one of those issues will be more impacted (for better or worse) by the choice of next President and that person's Supreme Court justice picks than any other single political local fight or generalist statement you could make. People who don't understand that mystify me, when just the last 2 years of abortion access/ending access and LGBTQ issues were more affected by court decisions than anything else in the most critical ways. We activists have all 3 yrs between presidential elections to act locally or work on national messages. But presidential election outcomes are major, as well as justice choices and Congressional elections on every issue you mention.

Recent history is glaring proof ofx ghis, again ft or both better and worse.

Lastly, I would be very careful about thinking you know the breadth of what he cares passionately about or the extent of his activism based on what he says during concerts. He's been doing this for 25 yrs... maybe he feels like he's figured out better ways to more effectively use his influence? You're making serious assumptions about his heart and actions based on his stage statements...
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to me. The more people who can draw attention and call attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same.
    Every single one of those issues will be more impacted (for better or worse) by the choice of next President and that person's Supreme Court justice picks than any other single political local fight or generalist statement you could make. People who don't understand that mystify me, when just the last 2 years of abortion access/ending access and LGBTQ issues were more affected by court decisions than anything else in the most critical ways. We activists have all 3 yrs between presidential elections to act locally or work on national messages. But presidential election outcomes are major, as well as justice choices and Congressional elections on every issue you mention.

I'm aware. I just miss Eddie's voice in those issues. That's all I'm saying. I am not suggesting that if Eddie speaks to such things the POTUS and SCOTUS aren't necessary, lol. ;) It's about having a lot of voices out there to keep the dialogue open and healthy and impassioned and accessible to all types of people, and specifically because that CAN lead to people acting locally and putting pressure on politicians, etc. I simply wish Eddie's was still one of those voices. I appreciated it. (if you have an issue with that sentiment, I'm not sure I get why, but that's fine. Doesn't change my feelings about it though).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm aware. I just miss Eddie's voice in those issues. That's all I'm saying. I am not suggesting that if Eddie speaks to such things the POTUS and SCOTUS aren't necessary, lol. ;) It's about having a lot of voices out there to keep the dialogue open and healthy and impassioned and accessible to all types of people, and specifically because that CAN lead to people acting locally and putting pressure on politicians, etc. I simply wish Eddie's was still one of those voices. I appreciated it. (if you have an issue with that sentiment, I'm not sure I get why, but that's fine. Doesn't change my feelings about it though).
    I have no issue at all with your last statement. It's the statements you made earlier in this discussion I don't get and I was clear about why. If you're back peddling on those that's your business, but you were quite clear in your earlier statements.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have no issue at all with your last statement. It's the statements you made earlier in this discussion I don't get and I was clear about why. If you're back peddling on those that's your business, but you were quite clear in your earlier statements.
    I'm not back peddling on anything at all. I meant everything I said. I'm not sure what statements you have a problem with. All of them lead to what I just said.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I just saw this that you added to a post:
    JH6056 said:

Lastly, I would be very careful about thinking you know the breadth of what he cares passionately about or the extent of his activism based on what he says during concerts. He's been doing this for 25 yrs... maybe he feels like he's figured out better ways to more effectively use his influence? You're making serious assumptions about his heart and actions based on his stage statements...

I know what Eddie is up to when it comes to his charitable activities and whatever he does publicly. I'm not making any assumptions about his heart. I am basing my opinion on his actions, on stage and off.
    You seem kind of irritated, and I'm not sure why. :)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What all the shit going down the LGBT and abortion rights and women's rights, etc etc etc? It's not just all about the POTUS. Politics is about a lot more than elections (as you know). I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. The more people who can draw attention to such matters the better. Sure they cancelled their NC show, but that was a passive, symbolic kind of thing, so just not the same (though I did support that).
    I would prefer he focus in on making great music. No reason Sleeping By Myself and Future Days should be on a Pearl Jam record.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

He apologized Friday night for something he said about Trump, I thought the mask was a nice touch Sunday. Though I thought he was gonna get the cake to his face haha

I wonder when Eddie got scared of a tiny bit of political controversy? :frowning:
    he didn't apologize for the words he said. he apologized for giving trump any unnecessary publicity or attention. he wanted those two nights to be positive.
    I heard it, but really he was more apologizing for creating any kind of tension or controversy or whatever (at least that's how I took it).
    Anyway, I don't miss ANGRY Eddie, because angry Eddie could be pretty rude, lol. But I miss how vocal he used to be about what he found important, when he went on the radio and read things about violence against women and abortion doctors, when he didn't care if he got booed for Bu$hleaguer. Oh, for the days when he was hanging out with Gloria Steinem, haha.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I would prefer he focus in on making great music. No reason Sleeping By Myself and Future Days should be on a Pearl Jam record.
    I figure there is room enough in his brain to do both.... In fact, I wonder if shit like SBM and Future Days is a result of his (apparent) declining passion about those political issues. He didn't seem to be making cheesy adult contemporary music when he was making more political noise!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    CP218430 said:

Agreed.

If the Trump mask last night was enough to take enjoyment away from the show for you, it's a good thing you didn't go to any shows during the Bush era.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited August 2016
    Maybe he's being more quiet about politics because, oh, neither candidate is worth it perhaps? He spoke about how politics divides people. It does, and this country is never going to get back on track if we don't start looking in each other as teammates rather then enemies.

Jumping on the Trump bashing solves what exactly anyway? Besides cheers from fans, Trump desserves no more attention than he already gets.

Otherwise, I do miss his presence speaking politics, that's who he is!!
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I agree that there is no reason for him to stand up there just bashing Trump at length, specifically (not that I would be upset about it). That would more be a comedy routine than any kind of serious dialogue. It's just too easy. Eddie did mention the little hands/little dick thing at one of the recent shows, and I thought that was pretty lazy. Though I would love a new song that addresses the whole state of political affairs in the US (but only if they're passionate about it. If they're just not feeling it I wouldn't want them to force it).
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 533
    i know this board is all freedom of speech, but holy shit. get over it. there is a contigent of pearl jam fans that are so uptight and whiny. be a man, just enjoy the phenomenal music, and thoughtfulness of the band for their fans
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

I know what Eddie is up to when it comes to his charitable activities and whatever he does publicly. I'm not making any assumptions about his heart. I am basing my opinion on his actions, on stage and off.
    I'm not irritated, I'm just reflecting your own words back to you and you're, we'll revising your statements. You said "I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. ". That is obviously making an assumption he's not as involved or interested anymore. But you say you're making no assumptions...ah, ok.

At the end of the day it's obviously fine to have different opinions on the meaning of what he said, whether it was political or not, or what we each want or expect from his public voice. I don't dispute that now, nor have I ever. I just find sometimes people jump to other places in their assumptions and since they put that opinion out there, I can ask about those statements.

For this discussion today, that's all I have to say about his Fenway apology and any opinions on it in this thread. Happy Monday y'all!
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    He sure still sang Masters of War like it was directed at somebody. That passion is still there.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    he's still told everyone to register to vote. especially locally not just the national. he still says never vote republican at the end of wven flow.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    igotid88 said:

he's still told everyone to register to vote. especially locally not just the national. he still says never vote republican at the end of wven flow.

Is that what he says? I thought it was "Help us from Republicans"
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Maybe it has to do with him not being able to stomach a perceived endorsement of Clinton. He was pretty vocal about supporting Bernie Sanders at MSG 2 when it looked like he still had a chance.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    Just my opinion, but mocking someone because they have some less than ideal physical trait is not particularly cool or funny.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    RE4790 said:

Just my opinion, but mocking someone because they have some less than ideal physical trait is not particularly cool or funny.

It's funny because Trump does nothing but mock people, and how about the reporter with the disability he completely disrespected?
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    JH6056 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JH6056 said:

I'm not irritated, I'm just reflecting your own words back to you and you're, we'll revising your statements. You said "I wish he were more involved and interested like he used to be. ". That is obviously making an assumption he's not as involved or interested anymore. But you say you're making no assumptions...ah, ok.

At the end of the day it's obviously fine to have different opinions on the meaning of what he said, whether it was political or not, or what we each want or expect from his public voice. I don't dispute that now, nor have I ever. I just find sometimes people jump to other places in their assumptions and since they put that opinion out there, I can ask about those statements.

For this discussion today, that's all I have to say about his Fenway apology and any opinions on it in this thread. Happy Monday y'all!
    I haven't revised a single statement, and I don't think that observing behaviour is making an assumption at all. He is NOT as involved anymore. Anyone can see that.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Maybe it has to do with him not being able to stomach a perceived endorsement of Clinton. He was pretty vocal about supporting Bernie Sanders at MSG 2 when it looked like he still had a chance.

I was wondering about his feelings about Bernie. I can't remember what show it was at, but I heard him suggest that Bernie is okay, but I didn't take it as real support for him. Just a mention that he's okay too. I dunno. He really strongly supported Obama during the last election, so I wouldn't find it surprising at all if he's supporting Hillary right now. They really aren't too different from one another. Obama is just more likeable. Anyway, Eddie hasn't said either way as far as I know. Maybe I missed it.