Global warming

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Maybe when we solve the little problems littering
    BS44325 said:

Holy Crap! Mars is warming!

http://www.sciencealert.com/mars-is-actually-still-recovering-for-an-ice-age-that-ended-400-000-years-ago

We're emitting so much CO2 that we're now destroying other planets!

Hehehe...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    edited June 2016

Neat little thing I came across on Reddit. Btw...I accidentally tapped that lights down feature and oh how these boards are easier on the eyes.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    recent study says we won't drop 400 ppm CO2 ... people suck
    sooo ... we have mass flooding in fort mcmurray, maryland, arizona, and in india (96 have died) ... all this costs the "economy" billions of dollars ... I get why some people don't care about this because the environment is not an issue for them but for those who think the economy is the number 1 issue - why no concern with the impacts of global warming on the economy? ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    polaris_x said:

sooo ... we have mass flooding in fort mcmurray, maryland, arizona, and in india (96 have died) ... all this costs the "economy" billions of dollars ... I get why some people don't care about this because the environment is not an issue for them but for those who think the economy is the number 1 issue - why no concern with the impacts of global warming on the economy? ...

I think people will keep their heads buried until rich people start losing their properties to the rising oceans... which should start happening pretty soon, at least down in the Florida Keys and Miami and whatnot. Of course, the situation in California is even more severe, and no one seems to be doing shit in reaction to all that, so I dunno. I figure that people who really run the show - the corporations, the people who rule with their money - need to be severely affected, to the point where they and their companies are dramatically impacted. Could be a while.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

I think people will keep their heads buried until rich people start losing their properties to the rising oceans... which should start happening pretty soon, at least down in the Florida Keys and Miami and whatnot. Of course, the situation in California is even more severe, and no one seems to be doing shit in reaction to all that, so I dunno. I figure that people who really run the show - the corporations, the people who rule with their money - need to be severely affected, to the point where they and their companies are dramatically impacted. Could be a while.
    proverbial nail on the head
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    polaris_x said:

Crazy making, isn't it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

They'll never be effected, they'll just build massive homes on higher ground.

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

Sad but mostly true. There are some business leaders who care but most of the rich on top just figure their money will always buy them what they want like the rich did in Soylant Green, that most prophetic of films. Which goes back to what Free and polaris_x said about voting with your dollars. Feed the monsters as least often as possible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

Sad but mostly true. There are some business leaders who care but most of the rich on top just figure their money will always buy them what they want like the rich did in Soylant Green, that most prophetic of films. Which goes back to what Free and polaris_x said about voting with your dollars. Feed the monsters as least often as possible!
    Well I wasn't really thinking of their homes. If they can no longer do business because they don't have the material resources, or if those resources become so expensive it makes the business unprofitable, or if their businesses are physically affected by flood, fire, lack of water, etc, then they might be forced to do something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

Well I wasn't really thinking of their homes. If they can no longer do business because they don't have the material resources, or if those resources become so expensive it makes the business unprofitable, or if their businesses are physically affected by flood, fire, lack of water, etc, then they might be forced to do something.
    But you have to remember, when they get done mining and logging the earth there's always (at the very least) the moon and Mars!

So people are really the problem behind global warming/climate change? Maybe we should first stop over populating the earth.

So people are really the problem behind global warming/climate change? Maybe we should first stop over populating the earth.

lukin2006 said:

Definitely a major part of the problem. 7.4 billion now, 9.7 billion by 2050, 11.2 billion by 2100. Not a great idea.

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

Definitely a major part of the problem. 7.4 billion now, 9.7 billion by 2050, 11.2 billion by 2100. Not a great idea.
    Sadly I don't a solution for oil .... I have read hemp might be substitute...definitely worth investigating? I for one think what ever substitute is found needs to be affordable, just to many people in the states and Canada just eating out livings now and far to many poor people in the developing world...just my take on the subject.

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

Sadly I don't a solution for oil .... I have read hemp might be substitute...definitely worth investigating? I for one think what ever substitute is found needs to be affordable, just to many people in the states and Canada just eating out livings now and far to many poor people in the developing world...just my take on the subject.
    From what I understand, population has to stabilize/lower soon no matter what. In the meantime, widespread hemp growing would be a HUGE help. Doug Fine wrote this excellent book about hemp production well worth checking out:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

lots of solutions for oil ... if you knew how much a society on oil truly costs us ... no one would ever go there ...
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

From what I understand, population has to stabilize/lower soon no matter what. In the meantime, widespread hemp growing would be a HUGE help. Doug Fine wrote this excellent book about hemp production well worth checking out:

I have to agree about population ... just to many of us. Not sure to many of us will volunteer to be culled though, lol.

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

lots of solutions for oil ... if you knew how much a society on oil truly costs us ... no one would ever go there ...
    Yes I'm sure there are, hemp could be a start...

Hemp I still believe is illegal in the us ... correct?

edited August 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Yes but it could become a major crop one of these days. I wish I had the dough to invest in hemp (more money means more I can give so not just talking like a greedy investor). It will go crazy one of these days when people realize what a cash cow it will be.
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

Yes but it could become a major crop one of these days. I wish I had the dough to invest in hemp (more money means more I can give so not just talking like a greedy investor). It will go crazy one of these days when people realize what a cash cow it will be.
    Could also help struggling family farms that could use help.

lukin2006 said:

thank the cotton lobby for that!
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

So I assume as long as it stays illegal in the US...well maybe things will change under Clinton, cough, cough...I'd say or Trump but that's not happening.

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

So I assume as long as it stays illegal in the US...well maybe things will change under Clinton, cough, cough...I'd say or Trump but that's not happening.
    just goes to show how powerful the corporate lobby is in dictating domestic and foreign policy in the US ... hemp is pretty much legal everywhere as an agricultural crop ... but not in the US ... the same country that allows rgbst and all kinds of shit in the food system ...
    lukin2006 said:

Well yeah, how do you propose that's done? They've already tried it in India and CHINA, and in both cases it became a human rights disaster that lead to abuse, torture, murder, and corruption. Only education can do it, but wherever women aren't empowered, that isn't possible either.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Well yeah, how do you propose that's done? They've already tried it in India and CHINA, and in both cases it became a human rights disaster that lead to abuse, torture, murder, and corruption. Only education can do it, but wherever women aren't empowered, that isn't possible either.
    Exactly right. Religious beliefs, lack of education (I'm sure the first point contributes to this one), and lack of access to health care services / birth control are probably the three main contributing factors I see. Educated people have fewer kids. Non-religious people have fewer kids. The Catholic church seems to be a couple of centuries behind with their dogma, and their missionary work in underdeveloped nations has only lead to more of their nonsense being spread about to people who apparently don't know any better. Instead of missionary work to spread mythologies, how about missionary work to improve education and health care services. Muslims need to slow their roll, too. Birth rates in countries with Muslim majorities are almost twice the world population growth rate.

So get rid of religion, raise peoples' level of education, and provide health care services. Simple!

Ok, so #1 is impossible and I believe is the main contributor. So our best bet at this point, unfortunately, is bubonic plague pandemic, or cholera pandemic, or something. Very unpleasant to think about, but I can't see humans limiting population through intelligent means as long as religion is in the way.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

just goes to show how powerful the corporate lobby is in dictating domestic and foreign policy in the US ... hemp is pretty much legal everywhere as an agricultural crop ... but not in the US ... the same country that allows rgbst and all kinds of shit in the food system ...
    Good point ... it also shows how corrupt their current political system. Money before people....

I'm told (though can't verify this right now) that in China people are starting to worry about not enough younger people to get for the masses that are aging and thus are starting to encourage more births again. If that's true, it sounds like another short sighted solution to a long term problem.

As for hemp being suppressed, that will likely change. With THC potent pot becoming more acceptable each year, hemp will begin to look as innocuous as it is and investors hot to latch on to the next cash cow will go ape shit over it. It will be big and maybe one of those few times where bigger is actually better. Fine talks about that a lot in his book (see above).