Stanford rapist

EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
"A former Stanford swimmer who sexually assaulted an unconscious woman was sentenced to six months in jail because a longer sentence would have “a severe impact on him,” according to a judge. At his sentencing Thursday, his victim read him a letter describing the “severe impact” the assault had on her."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.srPnzkP5e#.my1DxGYwX

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Part two. The father of the rapist posted this, saying, "his son should not be held accountable for the 'steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life.'"

http://jezebel.com/father-of-stanford-rapist-argues-his-son-should-not-be-1780656927?rev=1465160697302&utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Just had to share this - it all makes my head explode.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Affluenza saves the day for another scumbag.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • RG...

This is a fast swimmer we're talking about here. He's not a normal guy rapist... he's a fast swimmer.

And here it is when I would so humbly suggest that the courts and laws of our lands are far from perfect. Courts don't always dole out justice. In fact, in my opinion, they rarely do. The victim in this case would certainly agree.

Here is the classic, often heard tale where we really take into account the offender and how we should be very concerned with him.

Poor poor rapist.

Six months. Pfft. Why not say one year without Starbucks?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    This hits close to home for me because my 2nd (twin) cousin just started her first year there and she even graduated as valedictorian at her high school.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Cut off his cock so that he cannot reproduce and send him to jail for years.
    If I were to murder someone, and it took one minute, does that mean my sentence should take that into consideration?
    Fucking morons.
    If I were the father of that woman I would go to jail for longer than 6 months because of what I would do to that punk raper.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cut off his cock so that he cannot reproduce and send him to jail for years.
    If I were to murder someone, and it took one minute, does that mean my sentence should take that into consideration?
    Fucking morons.
    If I were the father of that woman I would go to jail for longer than 6 months because of what I would do to that punk raper.

Tell us how you really feel.

RG...

This is a fast swimmer we're talking about here. He's not a normal guy rapist... he's a fast swimmer.

And here it is when I would so humbly suggest that the courts and laws of our lands are far from perfect. Courts don't always dole out justice. In fact, in my opinion, they rarely do. The victim in this case would certainly agree.

Here is the classic, often heard tale where we really take into account the offender and how we should be very concerned with him.

Poor poor rapist.

Six months. Pfft. Why not say one year without Starbucks?

As awful as this situation is, your "fast swimmer" line made me laugh out loud.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Fucking morons.

Anyone who takes a contrary opinion on this being messed up is not anyone I would consider to be a good person. I think it is indefensible and that thus judge should lose his seat.
    Horrible stuff.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Fucking morons.

Anyone who takes a contrary opinion on this being messed up is not anyone I would consider to be a good person. I think it is indefensible and that thus judge should lose his seat.
    Horrible stuff.

Amen.

My stomach turned some when I read about this. The perpetrator is a piece of shit, and the judge as well.

Shameful.
    Someone posted this on Twitter. He "rewrote" the father's letter. It's funny, in a sick sort of way.

The last line of that post says it, E.

My god, this mindset - the father too? I can just see him slapping the POS' back..."It's OK, son. You're a good person; she'll get over it. Ribeye?"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Consumed with worry, anxiety, fear, and depression, but not guilt.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    She destroyed him, the lawyer and the probation officer. That was powerful, thanks for sharing.
  • I'm wondering where the liberal think tank is on this issue?

I constantly hear- especially in the DP thread- that the court system should not concern itself with justice for the victims (ultimately enacting what some consider a measure of revenge in retaliation for a crime). It has been suggested by many that the court system's real purpose is to safeguard society from future harm and seeking justice for the victims amounts to nothing more than punishing people. And... that we should be above 'punishing people'.

So... if this guy is determined to not be a risk to reoffend... any sentence we issue amounts to revenge/punishment and is a poor course of action for some that think this way. No?

If it's about safeguarding society from future harm... then are we sure six months is going to do the trick? It's hard to establish exactly what the recidivism rate is for sex offenders given the variances among the offences (violent, pedophelia, etc.); however, 25% is a number that has been generally accepted. One in four rape again.

Are we comfortable with such a predictor of future behaviour? Knowing one in four rape again, do we roll the dice for the benefit of the three in four that do not rape again? Exactly what do we owe a convicted rapist? What recidivism rate would be unacceptable for attempting to reintroduce rapists to society to see if they can function in society without raping anyone's daughter/wife/mother?

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/sx-ffndr-rcdvsm/index-en.aspx
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:

Consumed with worry, anxiety, fear, and depression, but not guilt.

Only because he got caught...
    Thirty, you know we think similarly in this vein.

I've been steaming and stewing over this. How in the hell does the term "sexual promiscuity" even enter into the discussion of rape? How does a father come even close to defending his kid against this?

Fuck the father, fuck the son.

Punish his ass. Whip his ass, I don't care. Make his sorry, pathetic self know that you pull this shit, you will see justice on behalf of your victi....

...oh wait. Guess not.
  • ^^^
    Hedo, say it.
    Death Penalty.
  • hedonist said:

I've been steaming and stewing over this. How in the hell does the term "sexual promiscuity" even enter into the discussion of rape? How does a father come even close to defending his kid against this?

Punish his ass. Whip his ass, I don't care. Make his sorry, pathetic self know that you pull this shit, you will see justice on behalf of your victi....

...oh wait. Guess not.

Hedo...

This is why you are a fully patched member of Team Slap.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    Sentence was so fucking outrageously weak. Hope the empathetic humans in that voting area dispense of this judge next election.

Look for the article in wash post. Has the entire victim impact statement. Such courage this woman showed. Ansd had some empathy for douchnozzle. Seeing though a statement from the dad saying 20 minutes of "action" ........ Hard not to see how sonny boy came to his decision that night.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

^^^
    Hedo, say it.
    Death Penalty.

Do you have a horse in this type of situation? I hope not and hope you never do.

Unfortunately, I do.

So yeah, I'm pretty cool with harsh punishments for those who commit such fucked up acts, along with those who brush them off.

Thirty? Cheers to ya.
  • I've got a horse.

Cheers to you!
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited June 2016
    hedonist said:

^^^
    Hedo, say it.
    Death Penalty.

Do you have a horse in this type of situation? I hope not and hope you never do.

Unfortunately, I do.

So yeah, I'm pretty cool with harsh punishments for those who commit such fucked up acts, along with those who brush them off.

Thirty? Cheers to ya.
    Having them suffer punishment is more harsh to them then life taken away tbh. Having them suffer life long pain is bad enough in prison.

Especially if they end up suffering like that Subway pedo has in jail lately. Don't drop the soap, Fogle!
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    hedonist said:

...oh wait. Guess not.

Hedo, when I read this my first thought WTF.....there has to be to the story. I guarantee you this IF that young lady was that judge's daughter the sentence for that so called fast swimmer would be much different than what he handed out.

No worries everyone....when someone gets away lightly like this, shows little remorse things will work out in the end and come back to haunt him for the rest of his life........remember OJ.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Or....he won't learn his lesson and he'll do it to someone else. Or....some raper sees that six months is his possible penalty if he is good at even some marginal-at-best sport and figures fuck it, the next woman I think looks hot at a party I'm going to try and get her to pass out so that I can get on her behind a dumpster.

Yuck.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Maybe he should have gotten a scholarship to Baylor.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Maybe he should have gotten a scholarship to Baylor.

:rofl:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    disgusting all around. the kid is a piece of shit. do guys like this have mothers or sisters? how do they act like that and ever look women in the face? and not that it is important but what kind of pleasure do you get from an unconscious women? the father is a piece of work too. must not have any daughters. if i knew the father i'd be utterly embarrassed by that letter. and how does a judge like that sleep at night? someone had to call in some favors to that judge. awful.
  • pjhawks said:

disgusting all around. the kid is a piece of shit. do guys like this have mothers or sisters? how do they act like that and ever look women in the face? and not that it is important but what kind of pleasure do you get from an unconscious women? the father is a piece of work too. must not have any daughters. if i knew the father i'd be utterly embarrassed by that letter. and how does a judge like that sleep at night? someone had to call in some favors to that judge. awful.

Compromising pictures of the judge dressed in women's clothes while playing mother with some young boys set to hit the internet if the sentence exceeded 6 months.

Or the judge thinks very little of rape.
    Mrs FMe told me this AM that the judge is up for reelection and nobody is running against him. This needs to change!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    The whole thing absolutely disgusts me. This is the kind of sentence I'd expect 30 years ago. That the judiciary can be so ignorant and narrow-minded is flabbergasting. But the lack of remorse and sense of entitlement expressed by the young man AND his father just speaks volumes. As someone else said, he's only unhappy he got caught. He and his father have nothing to complain about. His sentence is astonishingly light. But he lost his scholarship and will have to register as a sex offender! Boo hoo. Choices have consequences, although he hasn't figured that out yet.

I read the victim's entire statement. She shows more insight and concern for him than he deserves. I'm not sure I could be as positive as she is.

When he gets out of jail, I predict he will change his name and Daddy will find him a nice job.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."