Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

Really tired of beating this dead horse. Whatever happens with Howard, just let it happen. The bitching and moaning is wasted energy. Go see him him one last time and give him some applause.

no way I'm cheering a guy who has been overweight and has underperformed ever since the ink dried on his contract.

It's not really him I have a problem with. He's sucked since 2009. The Phillies management is the problem...he should have been the first one to go when they finally started this rebuild
    I guess you don't have to cheer for him but silence would be better than anything else.
    impossible when I'm forced to see it almost daily. I love the phillies but they really do suck as an organization
    wait I thought you were an Orioles fan now? or did you choose another team that is winning these days? Cubs maybe?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Have a good weekend guys. I'm heading to the Poconos to hang out with a bunch of Russians in banana hammocks.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Have a good weekend guys. I'm heading to the Poconos to hang out with a bunch of Russians in banana hammocks.

Now we're talkin'.

Ya know who could use a right hook? That Jon Lester.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,653
    edited May 2016
    JK_Livin said:

Poconos sounds awesome, the rest of that....

Just drove in he opposite direction of he shore traffic. Fuuuuuuuuuck that!!!!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,231

One of my favorite weekends of the year in the city. Clears out and so much awesome stuff to do.

No traffic...love this weekend.
    yeah i remember a few years ago going to a concert in philly and there was like no one in town.

Finally some nice weather!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options

One of my favorite weekends of the year in the city. Clears out and so much awesome stuff to do.

No traffic...love this weekend.
    Parking in South Philly!! Though my neighborhood isn't usually that bad.

Golf tomorrow, hitting up all the outdoor beer gardens Saturday then a BBQ Sunday. Should be some good drunken fun. Birthday weekend too...
    Sweet. I'm playing Bella Vista tomorrow. Real nice course. Has a hole modeled after Saw Grass' 17. Can't wait to test out the new clubs...
    Oh that's kinda sweet. Would like to check that out. I am playing RON JAWORSKI's Riverwinds. Extremely convenient.

The Bella Vista hole looks really cool. That said, Sawgrass may be more convenient for me to get to than that.
    Yeah...its out there, for sure.

Didn't Jaws just buy Ramblewood or something too?
    Riverwinds is a fun course. Strange set up and no clubhouse, but had a good time. Challenging. Played so so. Played with 2 real solid players, both in the low 80's and held my own. Couldn't putt for shit. Turned into a drinking round about 6 holes in so not even sure what I ended up shooting. Hell of a start to the weekend though.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2016
    If you haven't been to red rocks I highly recommend a trip out there. Had an absolute blast this weekend. MMJ reinforced that they are indeed the greatest live band on the planet (check out the setlists -- their cover of the Commodores 'Easy' was phenomenal). Now the countdown for OBH in Mexico begins....

Also, looks like the real phillies have arrived -- for some strange reason they showed up two months late this season
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    Not a big Baumann fan and I certainly disagree with a lot of what he states here, but this is a good read.

https://theringer.com/mlb-2016-philadelphia-phillies-4db2c9dc0ea4#.wwnhunru2
  • Options
    Anybody know how long the CD bootlegs take to ship once ordered?
  • Options

I ordered Greenville on a Saturday and had it within like 3 to 4 days. I think I got it Wedensday. I wonder if the Philly shows will have a bigger demand and take a bit longer though.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    The Fixer said:

Not a big Baumann fan and I certainly disagree with a lot of what he states here, but this is a good read.

Pretty much what I've been saying for a while...

"The Phillies are still assembling the next version of the team. Right now, they’ve got a good center fielder, a good third baseman, three or four good starting pitchers, and a couple of decent relievers. That’s a start, but there are still a lot of holes.

Now consider this list of names: Tocci, Ortiz, Williams, Thompson, Alfaro, Knapp, Crawford, Kilome, Medina, Appel, Eshelman. They all stand to contribute to the big league club but have yet to play a regular-season game in the majors. Only a couple of years after the franchise hit rock bottom, the Phillies have a decent big league team right now, a top-five farm system, and the no. 1 pick in the draft next week. They also have an ownership group that’s been willing to spend almost all the way to the luxury tax in the past, along with only $24.5 million in payroll commitments past this year and just $2 million in commitments in 2018.

That combination of young talent and financial flexibility brings up one last question.

Will the Phillies be good soon?

For the first time in five years, the answer is yes."

I'm glad you posted this because I didn't realize The Ringer went live yet. Good stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    pjhawks said:

I ordered Greenville on a Saturday and had it within like 3 to 4 days. I think I got it Wedensday. I wonder if the Philly shows will have a bigger demand and take a bit longer though.
    Thanks - yeah, I ordered NOLA on Friday and am doing the same for the Philly shows this Friday.

The Fixer said:

"The Phillies are still assembling the next version of the team. Right now, they’ve got a good center fielder, a good third baseman, three or four good starting pitchers, and a couple of decent relievers. That’s a start, but there are still a lot of holes.

Now consider this list of names: Tocci, Ortiz, Williams, Thompson, Alfaro, Knapp, Crawford, Kilome, Medina, Appel, Eshelman. They all stand to contribute to the big league club but have yet to play a regular-season game in the majors. Only a couple of years after the franchise hit rock bottom, the Phillies have a decent big league team right now, a top-five farm system, and the no. 1 pick in the draft next week. They also have an ownership group that’s been willing to spend almost all the way to the luxury tax in the past, along with only $24.5 million in payroll commitments past this year and just $2 million in commitments in 2018.

That combination of young talent and financial flexibility brings up one last question.

I'm glad you posted this because I didn't realize The Ringer went live yet. Good stuff.
    Yeah, good stuff, already read the pieces on Obama and Joe Buck. As a supporter of Joe Buck (that's right I said it)...it was alright - kinda sums up what I already thought of the guy.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Joe Buck is awesome. Listen to "keeping it 1600". Good stuff

What are these CDs you speak of?
  • Options

Philly boots go on-sale Friday - mp3, flac, compact discs, what have you...
  • Options

Word. Yeah, I was just saying the CDs. Not sure how I would even listen to one, haha. I guess put it right on the computer to ipod. Or the car, but never in that thing.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited June 2016

What episode is that? I just checked the podcast list and don't see Buck there.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Word. Yeah, I was just saying the CDs. Not sure how I would even listen to one, haha. I guess put it right on the computer to ipod. Or the car, but never in that thing.
    Yeah, I'll put them up in Google Music and then they will disappear into my basement. Good thing I'm spending $36 for two shows instead of $20.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Two separate things. That wasn't clear. JP referenced the Obama and Buck articles. Keepin in 1600 is with the Obama speech writer who is one of the hosts on that podcast. It's really good, but Buck was not on it.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786

Two separate things. That wasn't clear. JP referenced the Obama and Buck articles. Keepin in 1600 is with the Obama speech writer who is one of the hosts on that podcast. It's really good, but Buck was not on it.
    Yeah I heard that Obama speech writer on Simmons' podcast a while back and thought it was interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    edited June 2016
    Oh and it looks like Simmons' show starts in a few weeks ...

Cliff--that might be the first time I've seen someone say "Joe Buck is awesome" and not mean it sarcastically.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Cliff--that might be the first time I've seen someone say "Joe Buck is awesome" and not mean it sarcastically.

Yeah it does. Sounds like a weird set up. I feel like I think it will suck, but he's a smart guy

I have always thought Joe Buck got an unfair rap. Tim mccarver killed him but I think he's really good at baseball. Also seems like a really cool dude and is a huge pearl jam fan.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

Yeah I heard that Obama speech writer on Simmons' podcast a while back and thought it was interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.
    Yeah that was a pretty good one. You listen to the Michael rappaport one? Insane
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

The Fixer said:

JK_Livin said:

Really tired of beating this dead horse. Whatever happens with Howard, just let it happen. The bitching and moaning is wasted energy. Go see him him one last time and give him some applause.

no way I'm cheering a guy who has been overweight and has underperformed ever since the ink dried on his contract.

It's not really him I have a problem with. He's sucked since 2009. The Phillies management is the problem...he should have been the first one to go when they finally started this rebuild
    I guess you don't have to cheer for him but silence would be better than anything else.
    impossible when I'm forced to see it almost daily. I love the phillies but they really do suck as an organization
    wait I thought you were an Orioles fan now? or did you choose another team that is winning these days? Cubs maybe?
    I do like the Orioles. Phillies will always be first, but I like to see the O's do well -- great park, great announcers, hate the other AL east teams, different league than the phils. Will be at camden yards for my family's third annual father's day game. One of my favorite days of the year.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The Fixer said:

Def excited about the Ringer. There is a solid Joe Buck article up as well. Met him years ago at a bar in Center City. Great dude -- and I really like him as an announcer.

This is one of the things I disagreed with from the phils article....

Right now, they’ve got a good center fielder, a good third baseman, three or four good starting pitchers, and a couple of decent relievers

Who are the 3-4 good starting pitchers??? Nola is nice -- Velazquez could be disgusting if he learns a third pitch. But I don't see 3, let alone 4 good SPs on this roster. Franco is still unproven -- I'm not ready to call him good yet. And can anyone confidently say Herrera is a CF on a contending team? He takes some horrid routes (remember the hamels no hitter???). I like Neris, but other than that I don't see any future pen pieces either.

At least howard is finally on the bench and one step closer to being shown the door.
  • Options

you guys are forgetting that anything involving obama is horrendous
  • Options

Yeah it does. Sounds like a weird set up. I feel like I think it will suck, but he's a smart guy

I have always thought Joe Buck got an unfair rap. Tim mccarver killed him but I think he's really good at baseball. Also seems like a really cool dude and is a huge pearl jam fan.
    I agree that the simmons show will be terrible. His website will be great but I can't see how his show will be good.

nice sharks just tied it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Simmons is pretty smart but he is brutal on TV. Got to give him credit for having the idea for the 30 for 30 on ESPN though.

Anyone see the 30 for 30 on Cleveland? I thought it was really good. they really have had some terrible defeats through the years.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    pjhawks said:

Simmons is pretty smart but he is brutal on TV. Got to give him credit for having the idea for the 30 for 30 on ESPN though.

Anyone see the 30 for 30 on Cleveland? I thought it was really good. they really have had some terrible defeats through the years.

I thought it was weak. They didn't even show Renteria's hit off Mesa. Instead they kept showing that slob talking to his kid in a diner...like anyone cared about that