*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/10/16 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mcgruff10 said:

Why couldn't they have played parting ways at msg?!?! Let me sleep and grievance= awesome.
    If you like binaural it's an epic show, if you don't then it's a snooze fest. It's really not that hard to see both ends of the spectrum on this one.

Exactly. Happy for all the binaural lovers but it would of been a snooze fest for me. It's my least favorite album for sure and I'm positive the crowd wasn't in the show until corduroy. However, I think it's an AWESOMe Move by the band to play this album. It shows such balls to play their least accessible album in full. Great stuff.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I have absolutely NO IDEA how a Pearl Jam fan doesn't like Binaural... its probably their finest example of songwriting in the catalog... it didn't sell 10 million and go mainstream, so fucking what... its a great album
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I was in 10c seats... I think people were more than into binaural. Face it, people aren't going to go bananas after of the girl, light years, God's dice, etc. Indifference through parting ways picked up big time.

I feel good about myself because I detected it when breaker fall started and knew at gods dice
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363

Anyone not satisfied with this show should just stop going to Pearl Jam concerts.

No kidding.

A full album to please the hard-core fans, a great main set finish, and two great encores.

And for those complaining about the "casual fans", I suspect there will be a lot more tomorrow night given that there was no 10C presale. It will be interesting to see what that set looks like...
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823

NWOntario said:

Tonight was an all-timer. There was a moment during (I think) "Comfortably Numb" when it really occurred to me that we were in the midst of something special. I'm not sure I'd have felt that way if, for instance, I'd never heard a song off Binaural till this evening...but the performance was stunning, and I say that as someone who generally doesn't like the album all that much. I spent a lot of the show ruminating over the band and how big a role its music's played in my life (tonight was PJ40 for me btw), and it's astonishing that they're still doing what they do and, really, they're the only band on the planet that's doing it at this level on this scale.

PJ41 on Thursday outta be special, too: I'm taking my partner to her first-ever Pearl Jam show. We'll be in GA. We'll be deliriously happy.

40 shows and you never heard a song off Binaural? How is that even possible?
    I said I'm not sure how I'd have felt about the show if I'd never heard a song off Binaural till last night. :)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Steph SSteph S Posts: 13
    Last night was the best show I've been to! Loved it! 3 people deep in front of Eddie. Jeff was on fire. Tomorrow...not so lucky. In the nose bleeds. 300's in the corner behind Mike. Good news is my sister is giving up her seat for my 7 year old daughter! Great Aunt! Lucy REALLY hopes she gets her lullaby (present tense) tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get headphones for her? Cheap?
  • jdesantis1983jdesantis1983 Posts: 411
    mcgruff10 said:

If you like binaural it's an epic show, if you don't then it's a snooze fest. It's really not that hard to see both ends of the spectrum on this one.

Exactly. For me, I'd probably enjoy Avocado or even Lightning Bolt more than Binaural but that's just my personal taste, I only revisit 4 or 5 songs from it. I'd enjoy any show, but I'd probably enjoy a greatest hits set more, and for those who love Binaural this is probably top 5 for them. To each their own.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • tonywellingtontonywellington Posts: 41
    edited May 2016
    Show 15 for me and Binaural is in my bottom third of their albums. Still my 7th favourite PJ album is something I love. Still a great show, unique from all the others I have seen. I just took it as a chance to hear some stuff I would never expect to like "Parting Ways" and "Thin Air". It was obvious the hits were coming after they fired off 13 Binaural songs. Nothing to complain about, it was its own show.
    Post edited by tonywellington on
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989

Did I see a crowd surfer (who was quickly pulled over the rail, it seemed) during (I think) Alive?

Wonder if I should just edit my first post instead of adding random rememberances as they occur, lol?

Yes someone crowdsurfed!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Ok just yeah wow.
    I can appreciate binaural is not a favorite to most when selecting pj great albums but for me I am in love with so many of those songs. At philly 2 when breakerfall was played first after ten I didn't say a word but was like maybe!? Don't get excited there is no way. The last night hearing it in the 4 spot I thought, ok I think we have a good shot here, just keep it in your pants. Please play gods dice please play gods dice please please. Bam, holy shit, it hit me that this is happening

I noticed the crowd was pretty tame but I was loving it. I mean after that knowing I was gonna be at a show w thin air light years nais grievance of the girl insigniffigancw parting ways, holy shit parting ways is so good why don't they play it more! Sleight of hand, rival (with fuck up) just so many songs if I hear 2 of them at a show it puts it up a notch. I heard em all. So glad to be at this show, total lotto win. Seriously everything after that was gravy for me, sensory overload by that point, and there was some great stuff after too. Anyone ever have the sensation that you physically have nothing left and then you hear rvm start up and you say ok, I got this, one more lets go nuts! It wills something else and finds that other gear when you know you've spent your shit and are about to get a break.

The floor was great. Tons of room to dance in the back.

I k ow the band has a massive catalogue but if I am home playing tunes I really think insigniffigance of the girl grievance is my all time favorite 3 consecutive song stretch on any album.

Sorry some didn't like this one, but for a few of us it was bliss, thanks pj

Love this album, love this band. Thanks Toronto.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    Magical night. Forever grateful!!!

In addition, Donna Grantis is a real discovery for me, she is amazing!!
    Wow seeing a lot of complainers here reading back. That's your right but I just don't get it. These are some the best songs by any band.

Also I had seen prince w 3rd eye girl so I knew she had chops. But I kept looking up wondering "are you sure that's not mccready?!" Nope still not mike, she is on fire. Great guest
    my2hands said:

I have absolutely NO IDEA how a Pearl Jam fan doesn't like Binaural... its probably their finest example of songwriting in the catalog... it didn't sell 10 million and go mainstream, so fucking what... its a great album

Personal taste. I wouldnt want to sit through that whole album live. If I was there, I would of enjoyed the hell out of it. But, its on the botton of the list for me along with Riot Act and Backspacer.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Binaural is my favorite, you lucky bastards. Good for you. :)
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 830
    Thank you Pearl Jam. 25th show and couldn't have asked for anything better. Band seemed rested and loose. Eddie looked like he wanted to keep going. Energy from the band was amazing it felt like the crowd gave back.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
    edited May 2016
    I really feel that they should use Parting Ways as a closer. It looked absolutely fantastic last night. Why not throw it in rotation with the usual ones?
  • DC172119DC172119 Posts: 23
    Can't believe people would complain. I would have loved to see ANY show where they play an album in full, Binaural is not my favorite, but those songs rarely get played live and there are some true gems on there. Happy for the people who were there who wanted to see a show like this. Can't wait for my Wrigley show.
    8 PJ Shows, 1 Eddie show. Never can see too many.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    100 Pacer said:

Wow. Just...wow. What else can one say?

The last 3 proper shows I attended to date have been Moline (No Code), Greenville (VS.), & Toronto (Binaural). As I was saying to a few others, it didn't occur to me what was happening in Moline & Greenville immediately but as soon as I heard the 1st notes from Breakerfall I just knew.

Let me know the next show you have tickets for!
    :open_mouth:
  • I don't comment much but I felt compelled to for this thread....My mind boggles that anyone would complain about this show. Do you realise how fortunate we are to be in to a band that wants to cater to their fans? A band that changes setlist EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Most bands don't do this. It's nearly like this fan base has taken for granted that fact. "Ugh, I can't believe they played Given to Fly".....Seriously??? Give your ticket to someone who doesn't care if it's the 20th time they've heard given to fly - they're seeing Pearl Jam live; they've just experimented by playing Binaural start to finish in the midst of some cracking tunes. Maybe learn what it is to just enjoy the moment even if it's hearing Corduroy for the billionth time.
    So who gets riot act? If the band opens with can't keep but then goes to mym or corduroy just to fuck with us at Toronto 2 I promise I won't be mad and will enjoy the joke!
    nycrats said:

So who gets riot act? If the band opens with can't keep but then goes to mym or corduroy just to fuck with us at Toronto 2 I promise I won't be mad and will enjoy the joke!

I hope it is us at Wrigley Night 1! My favorite album. Came at the right time in my life and practically wore the cd out. This album rekindled my love of Pearl Jam and feel like it is so underrated.
    Also as common a song as even flow is I thought it was cool to hear it in an encore spot for a mix up. Sure people are tired of it but I liked the change up from recent setlists (although I never mind hearing it)

Ok locals. One can't miss tourist attraction and one can't miss lunch spot please?

I don't comment much but I felt compelled to for this thread....My mind boggles that anyone would complain about this show. Do you realise how fortunate we are to be in to a band that wants to cater to their fans? A band that changes setlist EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Most bands don't do this. It's nearly like this fan base has taken for granted that fact. "Ugh, I can't believe they played Given to Fly".....Seriously??? Give your ticket to someone who doesn't care if it's the 20th time they've heard given to fly - they're seeing Pearl Jam live; they've just experimented by playing Binaural start to finish in the midst of some cracking tunes. Maybe learn what it is to just enjoy the moment even if it's hearing Corduroy for the billionth time.

Word.
  • twenty3footstepstwenty3footsteps Toronto Posts: 37

I don't comment much but I felt compelled to for this thread....My mind boggles that anyone would complain about this show. Do you realise how fortunate we are to be in to a band that wants to cater to their fans? A band that changes setlist EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Most bands don't do this. It's nearly like this fan base has taken for granted that fact. "Ugh, I can't believe they played Given to Fly".....Seriously??? Give your ticket to someone who doesn't care if it's the 20th time they've heard given to fly - they're seeing Pearl Jam live; they've just experimented by playing Binaural start to finish in the midst of some cracking tunes. Maybe learn what it is to just enjoy the moment even if it's hearing Corduroy for the billionth time.

Amen!
    caught a bolt 'a lightnin'...cursed the day he let it go...

08/22/98 Molson Park, Barrie, Ontario - 10/05/00 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 06/28/03 Molson Amphitheater, Toronto, Ontario - 09/19/05 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 05/09/06 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 05/10/06 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 08/21/09 Molson Amphitheater, Toronto, Ontario - 05/10/10 HSBC Arena, Buffalo, NY - 09/11/11 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 09/12/11 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 09/15/11 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario - 10/12/13 First Niagra Center, Buffalo, NY - 09/26/15 Great Lawn, Central Park, NY - 05/05/16 Centre Vidéotron, Quebec City, Quebec - 05/08/16 Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Ontario - 05/12/16 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario - 08/20/16 Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL - 11/14/16 The Forum, LA, California (TOTD)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136

bravo...million times bravo
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113

Totally agree
  • GB200251GB200251 Posts: 9
    I still cannot believe what I saw last night.

Binaural is my favourite album of theirs and to hear it being played front to back...I don't even know what to say. It hit me in-between Evacuation and Light Years what was going on. I started getting chills. I finally broke down during Nothing as It Seems. I listened to this album so much in high school and it got me through so many hard times, and on top of this I am from Alberta and with everything that is going on there...hearing Nothing As it Seems was just too much. It was like an out of body experience, I can't even explain it.

I was up in the 300s and I don't think a lot of the casual fans around me realized what was happening. There was a lot of sitting in my section during the stretch of songs in Binaural that a lot of people probably aren't familiar with. I didn't care, it was like I was the only person in that room and they were playing through that album just for me.

This is why I love this band. They know that Binaural is one of their least popular albums, and I'm sure they knew full well that there was the possibility of disengaging a lot of people by playing through it. To show the amount of confidence and balls to just say "fuck it, we're playing through Binaural tonight" says a lot about this band and represents pretty much everything I love about them.

I can't believe some people are complaining about the set list after they played through Binaural. Did you not expect them to play through some of the hits after that?!? And who cares?!? Corduroy and Given to Fly were still some of the most powerful songs of the night. And the rest of the set wasn't even made up of only hits...We still got to hear Down, Comfortably Numb, SOLAT, The Real Me, and LET ME SLEEP!!!! How some people are complaining about this set is beyond me. These must be the type of people that are never pleased.

What an unreal night.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    jonsey30 said:

Disappointing show for me. Aside from NAIS, Light Years, and Of the Girl, I don't like Binaural. As soon as I heard Breakerfall, I was worried that this was happening, and the rest of the album took a lot of steam out of the night for me and most around me. Everyone was itching for a something to sing along too, but had to wait a looooong time.

I know the "hard core" fans were making puddles over this, but I believe you are the minority at the shows. Most people want to hear songs they know. I at least know these songs, I just don't like them.

After the first 5 albums, there are 2-3 great songs on the rest of the albums. Say what you want about me, but this was my least favorite show out of 5. They really need to stop reading these boards or else they'll be playing nothing but obscure songs for the "collectors."

I disagree with everything in this post.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Fantastic show. My 30th time seeing the band and somehow they keep sounding better.

With well over 100+ songs in their catalogue that they play live people can complain all they want about the setlist. You'll never be 100% pleased. But Binaural in sequence mixed in with Let Me Sleep and then Comfortably Numb and The Real Me were pleasant additions to the common 'hits.' The setlist itself was certainly special.

But again what really got me is how well they sounded. When they started playing Let Me Sleep it sounded crystal clear and on point. Majority of songs with the exception of a couple of the Binaural songs were played to perfection.

And.... Mike. He scorched the night. And then he was joined by Donna.... who also scorched the night.

Great show. Still on that 'high' of course... but it feels right now like a top 5 show in terms of the shows I've been to. Looking forward to Thursday!

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • I don't comment much but I felt compelled to for this thread....My mind boggles that anyone would complain about this show. Do you realise how fortunate we are to be in to a band that wants to cater to their fans? A band that changes setlist EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Most bands don't do this. It's nearly like this fan base has taken for granted that fact. "Ugh, I can't believe they played Given to Fly".....Seriously??? Give your ticket to someone who doesn't care if it's the 20th time they've heard given to fly - they're seeing Pearl Jam live; they've just experimented by playing Binaural start to finish in the midst of some cracking tunes. Maybe learn what it is to just enjoy the moment even if it's hearing Corduroy for the billionth time.

Agree 100%. I'm not a Binaural fan but I love that they have the balls to go do their least popular and least accessible album front to back. And on the other side of the argument. After 17 shows, the first time I go to a show and I'm bummed out to hear Given to Fly, Corduroy, or Alive I'll know it's time to take a long break.