*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/10/16 ***

Comments

• Cheo RamirezCheo Ramirez Posts: 676
    what a setlist...binaural...let me sleep...encores with hits....every year they surprise us....wait some people are complaining....maybe they want PJ will play the same songs all the tour all the nights forever...
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 682
    dkast85 said:

Is playing an album top to bottom in a show really that cool? It certainly isn't risky or challenging.

If playing Binaural in full isn't risky and challenging, I don't know what is.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• rlightrougerlightrouge Posts: 21
    edited May 2016
    KP_McMinn said:

GB200251 said:

dkast85 said:

Is playing an album top to bottom in a show

Yes it is both risky and challenging.

It is risky because they risk disengaging a lot of the casual fan base with the rarer tracks and lesser known tracks that are in the albums. Especially with an album like Binaural. They almost certainly would have known before hand that a lot of people weren't going to be fully in to it. But they risked it and played it anyway.

It is challenging because I would guess that the band doesn't play or rehearse every single song on every single album before a show. Just listen to Sleight of Hand and Soon Forget last night. You could tell that they really had to concentrate and focus to get through those as they are rarely played. It was definitely a challenge for them.

good answer.
    I'll third that!
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Well, another boot i'm gonna have to get. I really thought they would save binaural for a small club gig with fan club members only...really ballsy to play it in front of a large audience most of whom have not clue, lol
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 682
    KP_McMinn said:

GB200251 said:

dkast85 said:

Is playing an album top to bottom in a show really that cool? It certainly isn't risky or challenging.

It is risky because they risk disengaging a lot of the casual fan base with the rarer tracks and lesser known tracks that are in the albums. Especially with an album like Binaural. They almost certainly would have known before hand that a lot of people weren't going to be fully in to it. But they risked it and played it anyway.

Hoping some of those casual fans were blown away and are checking out Binaural today.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• rlightrougerlightrouge Posts: 21
    jonsey30 said:

I decided last night that I'm not traveling for shows anymore. Will still see them in Michigan

What's the point in spending long hours travelling when we don't hear Sirens at the show? I'm with you, bud!
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Weird stat: got my first parting ways but my 4th evacuation
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm still on a high just THINKING ABOUT BEING THERE. However, I can understand, now, the somewhat disengagement of some who aren't fans of the record. BUT, Binaural was only, honestly, one-third of the show. The other two thirds got the regulars and a couple of oddities and a guest guitarist. that's pretty amazing in my eyes.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Unreal.

Play a Rush cover tomorrow. DO IT!
  • Red MosquitoRed Mosquito Charlotte, NC Posts: 68
    I was there last night and can confirm IT WAS AMAZING! Soon Forget into Parting Ways was just beautiful.
  • guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    This was show number 9 for me and was easily my favorite. Walked into the pit at 730 and was able to get about 5 people deep on stones side. Seemed to be a lot of space in the pit last night. Aside from binaural which was an incredible surprise, as in my previous 8 shows i'd only heard 5 songs, the rest of the set was just on fire. I really like Go as an opener, let me sleep was incredibly unexpected and the imagine/comfortably numb double header was a ton of fun. Top it all off i got to hear down, which is my favorite lost dog. Really this set couldnt have been much better in my opinion. All of that being said, I could see the casual fans being lost during the binaural set. I wonder if things will be a bit more "familiar" on thursday, since there are no ten club tickets allotted at all.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think they should bust out a Tragically Hip cover (not like they know one, or even have heard of the band!). 50 Mission Cap. Toronto would blow up!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Love the instant gratification of seeing videos from this show. Binaural AND they played Let Me Sleep. Yay Pearl Jam! Yay Canada! This tour has been great!
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,668

I think they should bust out a Tragically Hip cover (not like they know one, or even have heard of the band!). 50 Mission Cap. Toronto would blow up!

agreed.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136

jonsey30 said:

Disappointing show for me. Aside from NAIS, Light Years, and Of the Girl, I don't like Binaural. As soon as I heard Breakerfall, I was worried that this was happening, and the rest of the album took a lot of steam out of the night for me and most around me. Everyone was itching for a something to sing along too, but had to wait a looooong time.

I know the "hard core" fans were making puddles over this, but I believe you are the minority at the shows. Most people want to hear songs they know. I at least know these songs, I just don't like them.

After the first 5 albums, there are 2-3 great songs on the rest of the albums. Say what you want about me, but this was my least favorite show out of 5. They really need to stop reading these boards or else they'll be playing nothing but obscure songs for the "collectors."

I disagree with everything in this post.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    Absolutely incredible! As soon as God's Dice was played I knew we were in for a special night. Took my brother to his first PJ show and he's kicking himself now for not taking my second ticket for Thursday's show. They were on fire last night. I think the set was perfect. A good balance of rare and staples. After last night, I don't care what they play on Thursday. Just being able to witness and experience their greatness is enough for me to keep coming back for more.
  • guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397

That would be pretty insane....even just as a tag on another song it would be pretty cool.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    Check out the big balls on this band! Enjoyed the shit out of that show last night. Can't wait till Thursday.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99
    GB200251 said:

dkast85 said:

It is challenging because I would guess that the band doesn't play or rehearse every single song on every single album before a show. Just listen to Sleight of Hand and Soon Forget last night. You could tell that they really had to concentrate and focus to get through those as they are rarely played. It was definitely a challenge for them.
    I suppose with Binaural it is an exception because those songs don't get played as much as the songs off Ten, Vs and Vitalogy. But when they played ten they pretty much played ten songs they play all the time (and have been playing for 25 years) but they happened to play it in order. The only thing I thought made that especially cool was Alive (a song usually closer to the end) was only the third song of the show!

In my opinion the worst thing about PJ is that they cater to the casual fan. The band has a bunch of hardcore fans and they should put them in priority over the guy who remembers hearing Ten in 1992 and thought it would be a fun time to see them. The people who are there to see Better Man and Black and know no other songs should not be the people they play to. Understand that does not mean STOP playing those songs.

But you bring up a good point about flow of an album vs. flow of a show. An album is almost like a movie in that when in order, it tells a story almost and creates a feel. A show is much different than that. So to play an album in sequence is special because it replicates that feeling on stage in front of a few thousand people. That said, they shouldn't overdo it because it creates a predictability factor. I was on the train home the night Bruce apparently played The River in full. Apparently he does it fairly often.
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • GJ125369GJ125369 Canada Posts: 40
    Amazing night! I got shut out of the lottery and only managed to get a pair of tickets in the upper level behind the stage in the public sale. I bought a pair in lower bowl row 18 when more tickets were released Monday morning and was like “ok cool, we’ll be about 9 rows back as they take some seats out for the stage”. Turns out they ended up removing the first 17 rows so I was first row right behind Matt Fucking Cameron (loved the sign the guy had at the front of GA). I could not believe it and have to admit I was totally awestruck!

Including the album intro to Go was a great way to start off the show and I was blown away by the fact they played Binaural! After they played God’s Dice and Eddie was telling a story about “evacuating” for a fire alarm and tying it into Fort Mac I knew it was on. Hard to choose only a couple but Binaural tracks that stood out for me were Breakerfall, Of the Girl, and Parting Ways. If they were going to play an album I think most people were expecting Vitalogy but that’s what I love about this band. I think they really enjoy being unpredictable and everyone in the band seemed to be having a great time last night! I wouldn’t have complained if they’d swapped Given to Fly for Breath in the second encore but they play that song and others such as Even Flow and Corduroy most nights for a reason – because they are killer tracks live! Loved hearing Comfortably Numb as well as Porch and Black in the encores. The more tracks where I get to hear Mike McCready shred the better. Also as I’d never been behind the stage before it was really cool getting so see Matt Cameron play from that perspective. To be honest I never really listened to Prince so wasn’t familiar with Donna Grantis but it was a great rendition of RitFW to close out the show as she was awesome! Can’t wait for tomorrow night!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    I KNEW I should've gone to Toronto for my birthday! You lucky bastards!! Binaural and Let Me Sleep? Wow! Just wow!
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Please play Black and Alive in the 2nd encore again on N2. Best part of the show!

Then please play Corduroy, Given to Fly and Small Town. Best songs ever!

Forget songs like Presence Tense, Green Disease, Come Back, Habit, Dissident, Brain of J, Red Mosquito, Half Full, Satan's Bed, Inside Job, Blood, Rats, Last Exit, In my Tree, Save You, WWS etc..
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Nice!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,014
    edited May 2016
    Red Lukin said:

Please play Black and Alive in the 2nd encore again on N2. Best part of the show!

Then please play Corduroy, Given to Fly and Small Town. Best songs ever!

Forget songs like Presence Tense, Green Disease, Come Back, Habit, Dissident, Brain of J, Red Mosquito, Half Full, Satan's Bed, Inside Job, Blood, Rats, Last Exit, In my Tree, Save You, WWS etc..

You got Binaural from start to finish and are complaining about Black and Alive? And yeah Corduroy and Given to Fly...just terrible songs huh? The horror of playing them so often! Jesus, sometimes I wonder what would make people happy around here.
  • BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    Last night was (Only) my 5th show, and undoubtedly the best one... Binaural definitely isn't my favorite album, but it has a lot of weight with me because that album was the first tour where they did official bootlegs. I was merely a casual PJ fan at the time, but was super intrigued by that crazy undertaking to release all their concerts. So I bought as many as I feasibly could (I have over 30 of them now, maybe someday I'll get all 72, but it's unlikely). Listening to those shows certainly got me familiar with the Binaural material. Last night took me right back to 2000/2001 and was a magical time warp. Would I have preferred Vitalogy? Absolutely. But that's not really the point. PJ took a big gamble last night doing such an "unpopular" album, and that's incredibly impressive.

As for the rest of the set, I'm surprised to see any complaints here. They almost HAD to play the "hits" to win back some of the more bewildered attendees, and the ACC was absolutely ELECTRIC from Corduroy on. Just an amazing vibe all around. Being in GA pit was better than I ever could have imagined. In a perfect world, all 10C members should really get to experience that at least once. I hope that crowdsurfer didn't get kicked out (of the show, or the 10C for that matter) - that seemed really out of place but it got a chuckle out of me anyway.

I'm sure ACC#2 will be great, but I won't be there. Last night is a MUST buy bootleg.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    WOW!! I would have loved to have been there. Truly envious of the people who were able to attend. I absolutely love Binaural!!! NAIS, Thin Air, Of the girl, Grievance, Insignificance, Light Years and Breakerfall are some of their best songs IMO. Add Down, Let Me Sleep, The Real Me and Comfortably Numb = amazing show!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994

You got Binaural from start to finish and are complaining about Black and Alive? And yeah Corduroy and Given to Fly...just terrible songs huh? The horror of playing them so often! Jesus, sometimes I wonder what would make people happy around here.

I'd say sleep and cheaper beer to start. Then vote in a Republican to piss off Eddie more. Then play Massey Hall or Molson Park. Maybe some shrooms. The play all of RVM - the greatest hits album
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Can they keep Donna Grantis? She's badass.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Vs. and Vitalogy may have been better records in 1993 & 1994... but in my opinion Binaural & Riot Act are better albums in 2016... they are more mature... they have better song writing... they are less testosterone & angst driven.... they are more refined... they are amazing fucking records

I cant tell you the last time I listened to Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy... its been YEARS... but I reach for Binaural & Riot Act all the time