*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/10/16 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    GB200251 said:

I still cannot believe what I saw last night.

Binaural is my favourite album of theirs and to hear it being played front to back...I don't even know what to say. It hit me in-between Evacuation and Light Years what was going on. I started getting chills. I finally broke down during Nothing as It Seems. I listened to this album so much in high school and it got me through so many hard times, and on top of this I am from Alberta and with everything that is going on there...hearing Nothing As it Seems was just too much. It was like an out of body experience, I can't even explain it.

I was up in the 300s and I don't think a lot of the casual fans around me realized what was happening. There was a lot of sitting in my section during the stretch of songs in Binaural that a lot of people probably aren't familiar with. I didn't care, it was like I was the only person in that room and they were playing through that album just for me.

This is why I love this band. They know that Binaural is one of their least popular albums, and I'm sure they knew full well that there was the possibility of disengaging a lot of people by playing through it. To show the amount of confidence and balls to just say "fuck it, we're playing through Binaural tonight" says a lot about this band and represents pretty much everything I love about them.

I can't believe some people are complaining about the set list after they played through Binaural. Did you not expect them to play through some of the hits after that?!? And who cares?!? Corduroy and Given to Fly were still some of the most powerful songs of the night. And the rest of the set wasn't even made up of only hits...We still got to hear Down, Comfortably Numb, SOLAT, The Real Me, and LET ME SLEEP!!!! How some people are complaining about this set is beyond me. These must be the type of people that are never pleased.

What an unreal night.

So happy for you. Glad you got your favorite in full.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    GB200251 said:

I listened to this album so much in high school and it got me through so many hard times, and on top of this I am from Alberta and with everything that is going on there...hearing Nothing As it Seems was just too much. It was like an out of body experience, I can't even explain it.

I just moved back to Toronto after eight years in Calgary (and it was solely for family, which is the best reason but...if it were up to me I'd have lived there forever). I thought I was going to break down at the start of "Imagine." Of course they're giving money to the Edmonton Red Cross. Of course they are. What a fucking band.

Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022

I don't comment much but I felt compelled to for this thread....My mind boggles that anyone would complain about this show. Do you realise how fortunate we are to be in to a band that wants to cater to their fans? A band that changes setlist EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Most bands don't do this. It's nearly like this fan base has taken for granted that fact. "Ugh, I can't believe they played Given to Fly".....Seriously??? Give your ticket to someone who doesn't care if it's the 20th time they've heard given to fly - they're seeing Pearl Jam live; they've just experimented by playing Binaural start to finish in the midst of some cracking tunes. Maybe learn what it is to just enjoy the moment even if it's hearing Corduroy for the billionth time.

bravo...million times bravo
    Agree 100%. I'm not a Binaural fan but I love that they have the balls to go do their least popular and least accessible album front to back. And on the other side of the argument. After 17 shows, the first time I go to a show and I'm bummed out to hear Given to Fly, Corduroy, or Alive I'll know it's time to take a long break.
    I took 2-1/2 years off from Pearl Jam after the 2013 tour: after the sixth show that tour the experience was starting to feel stale (not the experience was stale--there's a difference) and I decided I needed a break so I could reinvigorate my relationship with Pearl Jam. I'm so glad I did: the last two shows have been among the most special I've seen and I can't wait for tomorrow night. Highly recommend this move. :)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789

You fuckin' cocksuckers... You fuckin' bitch... You fuckin'... You know we come up here as a collective band and we give and we give and you just fuckin' want more...

this !
    we are so fckn spoiled by these guys....no tickets over $90...different set lists every night
    they give a fckn shit about us as a collective fan base...and THEY LOVE PLAYING FOR US! ! ! !
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    I knew I should have made the trip to this show....I fucked up bad
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • jpomjpom Posts: 2
    Last night was unreal. What other full albums have been played? Think we could get a No Code Thursday?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    Donna Grantis blew the roof off.
  • nails r bit offnails r bit off Posts: 406
    edited May 2016
    I am still in awe and on cloud nine. Binaural is my favorite album and never thought I would be at the show where they played it. Right after they started God's dice I leaned over to my wife and told her it was the first two from the album then Ed went into the fire alarm story and I knew it was on. The casual fan was lost and confused but I was lucky enough to have lots of hard core fans around me in my ten club seats and we killed it. Those sitting around us looked confused which only added to how awesome it was. They could have played just breath 18 times after that and it wouldn't have mattered to me. But to then add down, let me sleep, real me, comfortably numb, and solat plus a awesome version of rocking DAMN! If you are a 10c member and fan and didn't love that show then I would stop going to shows cause that was about as good as it gets. Thank you Pearl Jam and the Jamily for making it truly a night to remember.
    Post edited by nails r bit off on
  • breakmarysfallbreakmarysfall Posts: 363
    edited May 2016
    only this morning, after a good sleep, I am able to put last night into some proper words.
    I feel really as an extreme lucky one today:
    I got an album concert and, furthermore: my beloved Binaural was fully played!

so the circle somehow is indeed closing - back where it all started in 2000 (even with the same Cloth on! :) but here I am in beautiful Canada, "grown up" and "finally fully settled", also through this intense trip aka "Eat- Pearl Jam- Love" :)
    so, well, that means, I also could relate to the great words spoken before Light years - however, to me, "my big loss" has found it's peace - all around and within -

So I wanna scream out a "big thank you" to this wonderful band.
    Everytime I think: it can't get any better, but it ALWAYS does and that is somehow another miracle to me.

Other Highlights that made me really grateful to experience live:
    Down :) for Howard Zinn
    Imagine with the sing along of the whole audience (...and there was hope again ;).

Comfortable numb! - such a great great perfect cover of one of my all time favourite songs ever- and: almost better than the original and for sure more intense then ever
    - uhhh, they are just so wonderfully skilled musicians!!!

Let me sleep OMG - my all time fave Xmas song - and the concert yesterday was like happy Christmas to me!!! :)

So I said so before but I wanna repeat it over and over again:
    Thanks soo much!!! Viva Pearl Jam!!!

- uhh and what a big difference they make!!!

Post edited by breakmarysfall on
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jpom said:

Last night was unreal. What other full albums have been played? Think we could get a No Code Thursday?

Ten, Vs, Binaural on this tour. No Code and Yield were done last year in Moline and Milwaukee.

I can't imagine they'd do two albums in the same city. I think you might get a good set (it would be cool if they busted out Wishing Well), but not another album. Just my opinion though.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

jpom said:

Do with this what you will...but they didn't play any songs from No Code or Binaural in Ottawa. They didn't play any songs from No Code last night, either. So...
  • Jammin2PearlJammin2Pearl Posts: 266
    HOLY FUCK!!

What a night!

19th show for me, and this could be #1.

Absolutely love Binaural, and to hear it front to back was truly epic!

I was in section 119, row 10, and pretty much everyone around me was really into it. I thought the energy in the building was incredible, and people really appreciated what was going on, and signing along with each song.

After Binaural was done, you knew the hits were coming, but I think they were needed. After the rarest stretch you will see, how could they not play some stuff for the casual fan, or even those that are there for the first time.

And to be honest, it didn't matter what they played, after seeing Binaural they could have dropped anything.
    Don't forget LET ME SLEEP!
    Comfortably Numb was great
    Mike the Fucking Master on Even Flow!
    And I would take Porch at every show..

Loved the tag at the end of Black
    Loved that they played Real Me BEFORE Alive. Once Black started, I thought the order would be Black > Alive > Cover > Closer .

Donna Grantis ripped RITFW - great end to an epic night!

I dont know if I'm more shocked at what I saw, or that folks around here are complaining? The diehards want rare songs. They want something out of the ordinary. They don't want a greatest hits show. They want to see something that has never happened before, and will probably never happen again. But then they complain when it happens? People are not happy they played GTF and Black and Alive. wtf? I have heard Alive 18 shows in a row [was not played at my first show in 2000] and I am good with never hearing it again, but after Binaural it didn't matter.

HOLY FUCK!
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Even though Binaural is not my favorite, I would have loved to have been at this show! I saw them in Quebec City and Ottawa, and both shows were awesome. I'm sure I would have loved this one too, as I go into each show looking forward to anything they want to play! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    MayDay10 said:

Thread is filled with people complaining about 1 or 2 complainers fyi

This. There's a lot more positive reviews than negative.
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    I decided last night that I'm not traveling for shows anymore. Will still see them in Michigan
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Ok, if you are reading this thread about the off the charts Toronto show last night, start at the end of the comments and work your way backwards. This thread got off to a sour start which really has no relationship to my experience last night.
    So, here we go. Holy fuck. That was amazing. Binaural has so many incredible songs, and I think is also one of their best lyrically. It's a kick ass political non-commercial album.
    There were a lot of people who didn't recognize the songs but there is no other way to play Binaural and its just like when they put it out into the world : here it is - if you don't like it too bad. The thing is, it's really a masterpiece. They played them so well, everyone enjoyed it, and the Binaural fans were grinning from ear to ear.
    20 shows and there were many songs last night I was dying to hear, and finally did : Sleight of Hand (has to be one of my all time favourite songs - incredible last night - "He waves goodbye to himself, "I'll meet you on the other side. Moved by Sleight of Hand"- So sad and haunting and real), Thin Air (love), Evacuation, Parting Ways.
    Aside from Binaural, the rest of the show kicked ass as well!
    I don't classify things as "hits" or not - they are all amazing songs. Rearview Mirror AND Porch? Mike's on his knees amp worship solo on Even Flow? Let me Sleep? Comfortably Numb? State of Love and Trust? Black was so sweet. it was all sweet.great singing from Ed all night long, great crowd love and singing,
    There is no doubt in my mind that this was an historic event and legendary show. Buy the boot.
  • halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    edited May 2016
    According to "pearljamonline.it" instagram page, 'Bugs' was played on Toronto 1 soundcheck - which means that Toronto 2 will probably get 'Vitalogy' :D
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    NWOntario said:

jpom said:

Do with this what you will...but they didn't play any songs from No Code or Binaural in Ottawa. They didn't play any songs from No Code last night, either. So...
    Is "I'm Open" the only song off of No Code that they've played so far in Canada over 3 shows??? Don't think we get the album, but I expect a lot of songs from it tomorrow night which is going to be awesome! They've skipped out on a lot of big songs in Canada that I think we'll hear tomorrow.

Release
    Daughter
    Nothingman

And we should also get a lot of songs like Rats, Dissident, Oceans, etc.

1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • dkast85dkast85 NYC area Posts: 99
    Is playing an album top to bottom in a show really that cool? It certainly isn't risky or challenging.
    @DaveKast
    "Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be driven." - Jean P. Richter
    Phoenix 2013, LA 1 2013, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Philly 1 2016, MSG 1 2016, MSG 2 2016, Fenway 2 2016.
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    dkast85 said:

Is playing an album top to bottom in a show really that cool? It certainly isn't risky or challenging.

I think it's pretty cool because it's rare. And also brings back nostalgic feelings of being younger and listening to these albums in that exact order over and over and over again. To the point of when one song ends, it becomes ingrained in your mind to hear that next song's opening note before it begins. So it's cool to relive that in a live setting.
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    dkast85 said:

Isn't risky or challenging? Binaural live in sequence is the definition of risky and challenging.
  • GB200251GB200251 Posts: 9
    dkast85 said:

Yes it is both risky and challenging.

It is risky because they risk disengaging a lot of the casual fan base with the rarer tracks and lesser known tracks that are in the albums. Especially with an album like Binaural. They almost certainly would have known before hand that a lot of people weren't going to be fully in to it. But they risked it and played it anyway.

It is challenging because I would guess that the band doesn't play or rehearse every single song on every single album before a show. Just listen to Sleight of Hand and Soon Forget last night. You could tell that they really had to concentrate and focus to get through those as they are rarely played. It was definitely a challenge for them.
  • just davejust dave Posts: 260
    Wow. amazing night. I was in the high 300's on mikes side. I was a dancing fool. lol i was surrounded by casual fans. I yelled at my wife half way through breakerfall Oh shit we are getting binaural. I can't believe they played one of my fav records. glad I got the poster for the binauarl show. been a die hard fan since 92. Amazing night.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    wow, let me sleep and Binaural ! Pretty freaking cool to me.
  • JG86842JG86842 Posts: 15
    Another fantastic Toronto show! The 2000 tour is one of my favorite runs so it was incredible to hear all those again! Parting Ways, Breakerfall and Insignificance were the highlights for me. Parting Ways was incredible...if it wasn't called Parting Ways I feel like it would be an incredible opener with the slow start & build-up.

10C fans in our section were loving Binaural but the season ticket holders behind us were like "what the" it's 10 songs in and we've known 2 or 3 songs. But I feel like everyone in our area 10C & casual fans left feeling like they saw in incredible show. You had Binaural for the hardcore fans followed by a great mix of 'hits' to bring everyone back into it.
    1996 - 10/1 Buffalo; 1998 - 8/22 Barrie; 2000 - 10/5 Toronto; 2003 - 5/3 Buffalo, 6/28 Toronto; 2005 - 9/19 Toronto; 2006 - 5/20 Cleveland; 2008 - 6/28 Mansfield; 2010 - 5/10 Buffalo; 2011 - 9/11 Toronto; 2013 - 7/13 London (Ontario) , 10/12 Buffalo; 2016 - 5/10 Toronto
  • GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 340
    Damnit. Missed binaural!
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    dkast85 said:

Playing Binaural front to back was challenging for a good chunk of 18,000 people. Playing 10 or Vs wouldn't have been.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • rlightrougerlightrouge Posts: 21
    Hopefully they play The Fixer tomorrow night because Binaural doesn't have any artistic integrity!
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    GB200251 said:

dkast85 said:

Yes it is both risky and challenging.

It is risky because they risk disengaging a lot of the casual fan base with the rarer tracks and lesser known tracks that are in the albums. Especially with an album like Binaural. They almost certainly would have known before hand that a lot of people weren't going to be fully in to it. But they risked it and played it anyway.

It is challenging because I would guess that the band doesn't play or rehearse every single song on every single album before a show. Just listen to Sleight of Hand and Soon Forget last night. You could tell that they really had to concentrate and focus to get through those as they are rarely played. It was definitely a challenge for them.
    good answer.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    dkast85 said:

Look at me! Give me attention!
    You're right. They totally shoulda covered backwards down the number line instead
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1