Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    ldent42 said:

Natasha, I think I want to pick your brain. A dear friend of mine has just been given some pretty awful dietary restrictions. Could I pm you?

Yes please do, Happy to help.
  • One of the best resources I've found is My Fitness Pal. It has a huge database (ok, not always entirely accurate, you have to be careful with some of the entries) and it has a recipe calculator for home made stuff. It is a free app for your phone or you can use it on your computer.

It has been so helpful to me for portion control. I know WHAT to eat - I taught Nutrition at a local university for several years - but I found out I was way underestimating how MUCH I was eating.

Tonight's dinner is Cauliflower Cheddar Soup (homemade), 308 calories per serving.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    running in the cold snow is actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Good first week of training so far, going up to 4 miles tomorrow. Still not that much compared to what I would do in cross country but soon enough I'll be way passed that (farthest I've ever run without stopping is 8 miles)
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]

One of the best resources I've found is My Fitness Pal. It has a huge database (ok, not always entirely accurate, you have to be careful with some of the entries) and it has a recipe calculator for home made stuff. It is a free app for your phone or you can use it on your computer.

It has been so helpful to me for portion control. I know WHAT to eat - I taught Nutrition at a local university for several years - but I found out I was way underestimating how MUCH I was eating.

Tonight's dinner is Cauliflower Cheddar Soup (homemade), 308 calories per serving.

I'll have to try that app, it sounds great.
    ehbacon said:

running in the cold snow is actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Good first week of training so far, going up to 4 miles tomorrow. Still not that much compared to what I would do in cross country but soon enough I'll be way passed that (farthest I've ever run without stopping is 8 miles)

That's impressive, running in the snow. Good luck tomorrow sounds as if you'll be able to handle the increase. How's your eating going? If you are eating healthy you'll be able to push yourself further. Pm me if you want some tips.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :lol: don't let EH fool you natasha. But then again getting into shape doesn't always mean losing weight.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've lost 1 kg by skipping lunch yesterday, all I had was a banana and muesli bar.
    3 kgs to go!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275

Sprunkn7 said:

Salad is my go to lunch. Even on the run the grocery has a bagged salad with chopped kale and cabbage. It comes with a package that you can add toppings so you can add as much (or as little) as you want. I always have a protein to keep me full.Yesterday and today it was roast beef from the deli. It looked sooooo good, nice and bloody, just the way I like it. A big salad with lots of color and all the things good for me AND it was yummy!

Keep the salads up. Just check the fat, salt and content of the dressing and the aactuactual calories, sometimes dressings are very high, so good to make your own. I know time constraints is hard, I make dressing at start of week and mid week if I run out.
    Thanks, will do. I know making my own is better, but on the run I'll take it. I'm not afraid of fat, I'm afraid of sugar. Sugar is my enemy! Higher fat dressing (ex, avocado ranch that I make) is one way I have salad as the main meal and keep myself full. Good fats and protein and lots and lots of veggies!
    I'm having a "free" Saturday. Snow is coming and I wanted some warm comfort food. Mac and cheese for dinner tmr. And a few drinks I think :wink:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Yum mac n cheese!

I haven't seen any lbs come off the scale yet but my buttons appear to not be under as much pressure :rofl: -

I hope to see more results in another week.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:

Yum mac n cheese!

I haven't seen any lbs come off the scale yet but my buttons appear to not be under as much pressure :rofl: -

My scale needs a new battery....lol. will get one after the storm.

My idea to share today? If you get discouraged that you "only" lost one pound? Take a pound of butter out of the fridge and put it on a plate. Thats pretty impressive, losing a pound :hug:
    Today's recipe:

Asparagus and tomato pizza (quick and easy Friday night type of meal)
    Serves 4
    Ingredients:
    2 large wholemeal pita breads or thin wholemeal pizza bases
    1 bunch of fresh asparagus or 1 tin asparagus (rinsed and drained)
    1 tablespoon prepared pesto,
    14 ounce (250g) cherry tomatoes, sliced thinly
    7 ounces corn kernels (fresh, tin or frozen)
    2 teaspoons dried thyme (1 teaspoon per pizza)
    1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella,
    Green salad or steamed veges, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 428°C (392°C fan­-forced). Place the pita wraps on a baking sheet.
    2. Spread pesto over pita breads, leaving a 1cm edge. Arrange asparagus, corn, tomatoes and thyme on top and scatter with mozzarella.
    4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until pita bread are browned and crisp.
    5. Make a green salad- spinach/rocket/green onions/ green bell pepper/cucumber/lettuce –whatever you have in fridge
    6. Serve immediately with a green salad.
    Sprunkn7 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

My idea to share today? If you get discouraged that you "only" lost one pound? Take a pound of butter out of the fridge and put it on a plate. Thats pretty impressive, losing a pound :hug:

Very true, it's very impressive to lose a pound :joy: If it doesn't happen this week, keep persevering and it will happen soon.
    FoxyRedLa said:

Yum mac n cheese!

You are making progress keep at it :heart: Also keep laughing that is so good for you :smiley:

Today's recipe:

Asparagus and tomato pizza (quick and easy Friday night type of meal)
    Serves 4
    Ingredients:
    2 large wholemeal pita breads or thin wholemeal pizza bases
    1 bunch of fresh asparagus or 1 tin asparagus (rinsed and drained)
    1 tablespoon prepared pesto,
    14 ounce (250g) cherry tomatoes, sliced thinly
    7 ounces corn kernels (fresh, tin or frozen)
    2 teaspoons dried thyme (1 teaspoon per pizza)
    1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella,
    Green salad or steamed veges, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 428°C (392°C fan­-forced). Place the pita wraps on a baking sheet.
    2. Spread pesto over pita breads, leaving a 1cm edge. Arrange asparagus, corn, tomatoes and thyme on top and scatter with mozzarella.
    4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until pita bread are browned and crisp.
    5. Make a green salad- spinach/rocket/green onions/ green bell pepper/cucumber/lettuce –whatever you have in fridge
    6. Serve immediately with a green salad.

Sounds yummy! I have to take out corn (diverticulitis alert!) but I can sub something else! I don't like pesto...I know, I like basil, I like olive oil and I like pine nuts...but not really together....I think i have an artichoke antipesto from Traders. That will work :-)
    Yes artichoke antipesto would definitely work, what about replacing corn with mushrooms?
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited January 2016

ehbacon said:

That's impressive, running in the snow. Good luck tomorrow sounds as if you'll be able to handle the increase. How's your eating going? If you are eating healthy you'll be able to push yourself further. Pm me if you want some tips.
    going well:

breakfast:
    -bagel
    -hot chocolate (idk why but it seems to help clear my throat)
    -banana

lunch:
    -peanut butter sandwich
    -fruit
    -granola bar or two

dinner:
    -usually pasta of some sort
    -vegetables every night

desert:
    -small bowl of ice cream because why not :smiley:

I'm drinking about 3 bottles of water during the school day before I run, and around 4 glasses after I get home. After my runs I'm always drinking chocolate milk, foam rolling, and doing core workouts. Gotta build my plank time up again, because during the cross country season I was at 5 minutes and now I can't even do 3 minutes.
    FoxyRedLa said:

:lol: don't let EH fool you natasha. But then again getting into shape doesn't always mean losing weight.

haha yeah I'm trying to build a bit more muscle while I'm in training but focusing mostly on core running.
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    I dropped another half a kg by skipping lunch.
    This is my third day in a row of starving myself.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    you'd be better off eating healthy than starving yourself
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    I am in - hate the feeling of tight pants and refuse to buy a larger size. The jiggle when I run down the street is awful. Don't want to be jumping up and down at an upcoming show and feel it all shake. A little exercise everyday - 5 squats here and there, 2 minutes at a time on the cloud walker several times a day - have to start out slow. Eating more veggies, drinking more water. If I push myself too hard, I panic and pig out. Just taking it slow and hoping for improvement
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
    Angelbear said:

I am in - hate the feeling of tight pants and refuse to buy a larger size. The jiggle when I run down the street is awful. Don't want to be jumping up and down at an upcoming show and feel it all shake. A little exercise everyday - 5 squats here and there, 2 minutes at a time on the cloud walker several times a day - have to start out slow. Eating more veggies, drinking more water. If I push myself too hard, I panic and pig out. Just taking it slow and hoping for improvement

Welcome! I'll be doing a lot of jumping around also..
    I just saw this little hand held chopper on QVC. I'm thinking it would make my life a bit easier....put some fresh veggies in there without having to dig out the small food processor plug it in,,,clean it and all that. It's got a hand pull on it....looks awesome. I'm dreaming of garlic,,,onions, peppers, carrots..anything really....it's in my cart. Just taking some time to think it's only 25 bucks...hey wait, thats parking for an upcoming PJ show!
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

I dropped another half a kg by skipping lunch.
    This is my third day in a row of starving myself.

Try not to skip meals,it will slow your metabolism and rob your muscles of needed nutrients.You are better off just eating a small protein based meal with veggies.This will help you feel satisfied and won't have your body dropping muscle and not fat
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited January 2016
    Btw,As stated before the my fitness pal is a good app to track caloric intake.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    i just got my workout by shoveling/digging out two feet of snow from my car/parking spot
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    weigh day..scale is slowly going south! yay!!!
    Sprunkn7 said:

weigh day..scale is slowly going south! yay!!!

Well done keep up the hard work :heart:
    I hope ticket sales today keep everyone sticking to their plans to shape up.
    Today's , a perfect winters night comfort dish.

Bean Nachos with Guacamole

Serves 4
    Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2.8 ounces avocado –without seed (mashed with back of fork)
    1 teaspoon parsley or dried coriander (finely chopped)
    2 punnets cherry tomatoes (17.5 ounces) or 2 tins of drained diced tomatoes
    2 medium red bell pepper (diced into chunks)
    2 medium onions (diced)
    2 tins kidney beans (28 ounces)
    4 slices wholemeal Mountain bread See website: http://www.mountainbread.com.au/breads/wheat/product-detail.aspx, it’s a very thin type of wrap (you may not be able to find this in parts of usa, but use something similar, or wholemeal wraps)
    Optional: 1 red chilli (or green) - I love chilli but no-one else in my family does, so I chop mine up and sprinkle it on top when I am serving the beans up
    Optional: 1 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream (per person)

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 356 Fahrenheit
    2. Heat fry pan with olive oil, add onions and bell pepper, heat for about 5 mins, until start to soften, then add tomatoes (tin or cherry) if using cherry tomatoes, as they heat up try and squash them with back of spoon, cook for a further 5 mins.
    3. Add kidney beans and 4.2 fl oz water, bring to boil, and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 mins, mix in herbs.
    4. While beans are simmering, cut mountain bread into triangles using kitchen scissors, or a knife.
    5. Place baking paper on baking tray, spread over triangles and bake in oven for 3-5 mins, keep an eye on them, they burn quick!
    6. Serve the beans in the middle, surrounded by your triangle chips (you can dip into your beans) and the avocado, Serve sour cream and chilli on top of beans and enjoy.
    Angelbear said:

If you take it slow, the weight comes off slower, but it also tends to stay off a lot more people compared to the really fast way with low Calorie diets. Good luck. I hope some of my tips and recipes help you.
    chadwick said:

Very true, otherwise you binge later.

chadwick said:

Very true, otherwise you binge later.
    Not me. I have light dinners. No carbs.