EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,615
    why does it say for pitchers a maximum of 14 games started?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    ed243421 said:

why does it say for pitchers a maximum of 14 games started?

That's how many starts your pitchers get during a matchup. It resets easch week.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552

who's who in the league? Some are obvious, like my team, but the others?

I like that we both named our teams the assholes. :look_at_the_time:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    edited March 2015
    Some of these questions may be obvious but since I am a Yahoo guy for baseball I am unfamiliar w/ESPN settings, maybe these are standard?

Any rules you want to set are cool with me -- they are the same for us all -- just want to make sure I clearly understand since it all impacts the draft/play strategies.

Strikeouts for hitting are -2. HRs are +4. I dont love negative points for strikeouts but if you have them I think they might be better at a much smaller value. .5? 1? If a guy goes 2-4 w/2 Ks his score could look like this:
    Single +1
    HR +4
    RBI (1) +1
    Strikeouts (2) -4
    Run Scored (1) +1
    3 Points for a game with a single & a homer? Seems low.

It makes an interesting player valuation, to be sure. Mike Trout, who is pretty much the consensus #1 player across standard FB leagues, is projected as the 16th most valuable hitter in this scoring system....Michael Brantley is #1, Altuve and Kinsler are among the hitters projected above him?

Compare hitters to pitchers and only the top 4 hitters project to score more points than the top 30 pitchers project to score. That cut line means Miguel Cabrera projects as less valuable to your score sheet than Yordano Ventura.
    The top 60 pitchers project to score more points indivdually than all by 16 hitters. This means Mike Trout is projected to just edge out Kyle Lohse, Trevor Bauer, and Andrew Heaney.

For pitchers....Win is +5, Earned Run is -2, Hits allowed is -1, Quality Start is 1.
    So if the pitcher's line is 6 IP, 3 Runs allowed, Win, 7 hits allowed the score is +5, -6, -7, +1 = -7? The Innings Pitched shows as 3, so would 18 points go in for IP? So the score would be 11 for that game?

Free Agent Auction? Is this only to start the season or any time you want to make a pick up? Have never heard of this style.

Players Acquisition Budget - is this for the season or does it reset every week?

Why limit starters? Would seem to discourage some of the player usage strategies....

Perhaps increase DL to 2 spots?

Overall I think it will be a lot of fun playing in a different format w/totally new rules. I play in 3 other leagues every year with most of the same people and we use the same rules all of the time. Can be boring, this will shake it up some.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

:lol: I had to use the forbidden word.

And...you have a draft strategy? I'm hoping most of the guys I pick aren't retired :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015

:lol: I had to use the forbidden word.

And...you have a draft strategy? I'm hoping most of the guys I pick aren't retired :lol:
    I thought the same things with the team name

I am a numbers guy so I like to try and understand how things add up. Of course once the draft starts I still want to pick the players I like the most, just like the majority of folks.
    One time back in the late 90s/early 00s we were doing an NFL live draft in my living room with a bunch of buddies. One of the guys picked Earnest Byner and the rest of us held it together for a few more rounds before someone finally told him that Byner had retired a few years earlier.
    It happens!

Some of these questions may be obvious but since I am a Yahoo guy for baseball I am unfamiliar w/ESPN settings, maybe these are standard?

Any rules you want to set are cool with me -- they are the same for us all -- just want to make sure I clearly understand since it all impacts the draft/play strategies.

Strikeouts for hitting are -2. HRs are +4. I dont love negative points for strikeouts but if you have them I think they might be better at a much smaller value. .5? 1? If a guy goes 2-4 w/2 Ks his score could look like this:
    Single +1
    HR +4
    RBI (1) +1
    Strikeouts (2) -4
    Run Scored (1) +1

It makes an interesting player valuation, to be sure. Mike Trout, who is pretty much the consensus #1 player across standard FB leagues, is projected as the 16th most valuable hitter in this scoring system....Michael Brantley is #1, Altuve and Kinsler are among the hitters projected above him?

Compare hitters to pitchers and only the top 4 hitters project to score more points than the top 30 pitchers project to score. That cut line means Miguel Cabrera projects as less valuable to your score sheet than Yordano Ventura.
    The top 60 pitchers project to score more points indivdually than all by 16 hitters. This means Mike Trout is projected to just edge out Kyle Lohse, Trevor Bauer, and Andrew Heaney.

For pitchers....Win is +5, Earned Run is -2, Hits allowed is -1, Quality Start is 1.
    So if the pitcher's line is 6 IP, 3 Runs allowed, Win, 7 hits allowed the score is +5, -6, -7, +1 = -7? The Innings Pitched shows as 3, so would 18 points go in for IP? So the score would be 11 for that game?

Free Agent Auction? Is this only to start the season or any time you want to make a pick up? Have never heard of this style.

Players Acquisition Budget - is this for the season or does it reset every week?

Why limit starters? Would seem to discourage some of the player usage strategies....

Overall I think it will be a lot of fun playing in a different format w/totally new rules. I play in 3 other leagues every year with most of the same people and we use the same rules all of the time. Can be boring, this will shake it up some.

I changed some of the scoring, others I left alone. That's why I have been saying everyone needs to check it out and put their 2 cents in.

Do you want to be co-LM and be in charge of the scoring? I can make that happen very quick.

Single +1
    HR +4
    RBI (1) +1
    Strikeouts (2) -4
    Run Scored (1) +1

I changed some of the scoring, others I left alone. That's why I have been saying everyone needs to check it out and put their 2 cents in.

Do you want to be co-LM and be in charge of the scoring? I can make that happen very quick.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to step on your toes -- I am happy to play with whatever settings you have selected to go with at the end....as far input on scoring... if they have a standard list of scoring values maybe just select which categories you want to count? (Or is that what you did? I am ESPN baseball ignorant. :) )
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Go figure, we have a 3 way tie in the draft date vote.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

Single +1
    HR +4
    RBI (1) +1
    Strikeouts (2) -4
    Run Scored (1) +1

Sorry, wasn't trying to step on your toes -- I am happy to play with whatever settings you have selected to go with at the end....as far input on scoring... if they have a standard list of scoring values maybe just select which categories you want to count? (Or is that what you did? I am ESPN baseball ignorant. :) )
    No, I'm being serious. I wasn't at all offended. I've been the Lm for several football leagues, but only 1 baseball league. I'm not at all opposed to having keeping up with everything.
    Meet the new co-lm------fmeinthebrain.

Look through the points and change what you think will work out best.
    You hired a guy named Fuck me in the brain? You should look into your hiring practices.

:lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

You hired a guy named Fuck me in the brain? You should look into your hiring practices.

I'm a push over

Hey, that's a great song, I wish they would play it again!
    FA budget would not be reset each week. You'd have $250 for the season to pick up players. It is a low number, but it forces you budget. You can't just go out and bid $80 on a player. You can, and if you win, your leaving yourself hurt for the rest of the year. I'm willing to raise it to $300, but no more. This is not used in the draft. This is only for picking up players during the year off the ww.

Limiting pitchers to 14 starts a week actually forces you to look at your pitching roster every week. If you are going to have 17.starts, then you have to decide which three pitchers you have to sit. That gets interesting. Makes you manage and forces you to pay attention to trends. I like it and would argue that it could be moved down to 12. The only strategy this would hinder is the guys that load up on pitching in the draft because good pitching always wins over good hitting. You can still do that, just now, you have to decide who you think will pitch better of the two or three that week.

You could add 2 or 3 DL slots. I'm ok with that.
    I'm in way over my head :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,615
    I can make any of the choices for the draft, so I won't vote this time

Of course we want everyone to have a chance to pick their players and be at the draft, so who foresees trouble in being at any of the 3 final choices?

I know Brett said he is traveling a lot this month and Scott may have an issue

Who else?

If no one, I say let the ones with issues agree on the date and time

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

I can make any of the three dates that are up for vote. But I did cast a vote. Hopefully, the rest of you can agree on a date.
    Either of the two with the top votes are good with me. The monday one with no votes does pose some problems as its at 3pm for me putting it during work hours. I could sneak away but there is always a chance some crisis happens that day and I can't get away.

250 FA sounds like fun. The more difficult the better.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    ok tweaked it a bit more....had PMs from league members asking about Quality Starts so I added those...and to balance I put a point on for extra base hits.
    What do we think of the scoring? Any feedback? Happy to adjust as people think.

For the pitching limit on starts I say lets keep it like the OC (original commish) likes.

For the bidding on FAs, I have never done this.
    So does it work like this:
    Weekly access to FAs. Put in your waiver offers/bids all week. If someone bids higher for a player than they get it. If nobody puts in higher you get it. Run out of money and you can get NO FA picks? Or can you bid $0 and if nobody else bids you get them?

Experienced ESPN players please share feedback -- fine with setting a year long limit, just want to understand it.
    We are deadlocked on the draft time -- is there anyone that cannot make one of those times?

I say if we tie we do it on Sunday so CDY doesnt need to leave work early. (Even though I voted for Friday :) )
    On the FA cash...
    If you run out, you're done. No more FA. You can't bid 0. $1 is the minimum bid. And yes, if more than one person bids on the player, the person that bid the most will get him. I'll have to check if you can get players once a week or twice a week. If two people bid the same for a player, the owner with the highest waiver priority wins.

I'm good with whatever scoring system you guys want to use.
    If you do run out of FA cash, you can include asking for some in trades. For example, owner A offers Johnny Cueto and $10 FA cash to owner B for Mike Trout. Owner B accepts. Owner B would get the $10 Fa cash.

That has to be done in the comments and should be posted in the message boards so the LMs can see that both players accepted that deal. The LMs have to manually add and take away the FA cash from the teams in a trade.
    Cool sounds like an interesting wrinkle
    edited March 2015
    I like the trading of FA cash. Adds an interesting wrinkle. If you have excessive depth at a spot you might want to bulk up on FA cash for the season.

Either of the top two voted draft times work great for me. Fridays I generally leave early anyways and the Sunday one is fine as well.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Is the draft order the place you joined the league? Am I drafting 12th or is the order set draft day? I'm logging in now to explore, maybe the answer is there, but wanted to ask before I forget and don't end up looking
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Is the draft order the place you joined the league? Am I drafting 12th or is the order set draft day? I'm logging in now to explore, maybe the answer is there, but wanted to ask before I forget and don't end up looking

The draft order will be completely random. The computer will give us the order like 30 minutes before the draft starts.
    It's looking like the draft will be March 15.

3 people haven't voted. It'll make a difference, so go ahead and vote.

It's looking like the draft will be March 15.

3 people haven't voted. It'll make a difference, so go ahead and vote.

What's with the 2 times on the 15th? I see an asterisk, but didn't see what was going on.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead