Evolution v. Creationism Debate

15678911»

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    paulonious wrote: »
    Godfather. wrote: »
    do the train members wonder what they will find after death ? will you be greeted by Jesus or just be thrown into darkness ?

Godfather.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that will happen after my death is my family and friends will raise a glass and maybe shed a tear and hopefully share a laugh. Beyond that: nothing.

I was thinking about this the other day.....why do christians believe that their belief is correct, when christianity was only invented 2000 years ago? don't you think god would have enlightened someone, anyone, and had and sacrificed his kid, at SOME point earlier than that? if god created everything, why did he wait so fucking long?

every religion has been man made, and all of them have eventually gone by the way side. every single one of them. christianity and buddism and everything else will fall victim to the same thing that Egypt's Ra and Greece's Zeus did. eventually people will come to their senses, and then some other group of people will create a new supreme being in order to control the masses.

I respect everyone's right to believe however they believe, however, I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would believe in anything beyond what we know. all logic tells us man has made up religions upteen times in the past and not one of them has panned out as "the" one. why would a relatively young religion such as christianity be "it", especially when it's so overly documented how much of that religion's stories and traditions have been lifted from other religions?

People will eventually come to their senses? That is where we disagree. Lol
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

We're going to need to replace the floor in our bathroom. That photo of Erpetonyx arsenaultorum would make a great pattern for floor tiles as part of the slow but ongoing evolution of our home. :-D

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    brianlux wrote: »
    rgambs wrote: »
    Greeted by Jesus doesn't make much sense, and thrown into darkness means you live on in emptiness? I don't find the question to be relevant, afterlife is just a fantasy that makes some sleep better at night. When your brain ceases, you cease. It's really pretty simple.

I think that's pretty much true, rgambs, on the other hand, in his book World Without Us, Alan Weisman talks about how our thoughts are electrical impulses (I used to know the whole physiological process involving neurons, synapses, acetylcholine and all that) that emanate our from our bodies into space and that if it is true space is curved, then eventually some of our energy returns home. So maybe that little form of reincarnation is the closest thing to an after life.

I'm still going with door #3 myself. The Mystery Door.

Hey, If vinyl can make a comeback.....
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

We're going to need to replace the floor in our bathroom. That photo of Erpetonyx arsenaultorum would make a great pattern for floor tiles as part of the slow but ongoing evolution of our home. :-D

We have (actual) fossils of fish, shrimp, and a sea star embedded in the tiling in our kitchen. They look pretty cool.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wonder if devolving is or can be part of evolving.

Sort of like, with destruction comes creation / reconstruction.

Hit bottom, swim up, surface, breathe.

Maybe not all of our being enlightened, but maybe some new-found foundation built.

Last-12, I think some do come to their senses in time and in life. But as a people? Probably not so much.

Brian, we're in the same bathroom floor boat and I blame our cats for the delay. Don't ask :-D

We have (actual) fossils of fish, shrimp, and a sea star embedded in the tiling in our kitchen. They look pretty cool.
    You may need to post pictures of this (actually, if you can/want, please do!). I love the visual.
    hedonist wrote: »

You may need to post pictures of this (actually, if you can/want, please do!). I love the visual.

Would love to see a photo as well!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux wrote: »

Why don't you just say pics or it didn't happen.

Why don't you just say pics or it didn't happen.

Why do you use the word "why" without a question mark? But more importantly, what is the answer to the most difficult question that no one ever thought of?

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2015
    "All the methods and tools of science are intended to do, at its core, is to ensure that if something is true our bias doesn't tell us it's not, and if something is not true, that our bias doesn't tell us that it is." - Neil Degrasse Tyson

Nice line. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    do the train members wonder what they will find after death ? will you be greeted by Jesus or just be thrown into darkness ?

Godfather.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that will happen after my death is my family and friends will raise a glass and maybe shed a tear and hopefully share a laugh. Beyond that: nothing.

I was thinking about this the other day.....why do christians believe that their belief is correct, when christianity was only invented 2000 years ago? don't you think god would have enlightened someone, anyone, and had and sacrificed his kid, at SOME point earlier than that? if god created everything, why did he wait so fucking long?

every religion has been man made, and all of them have eventually gone by the way side. every single one of them. christianity and buddism and everything else will fall victim to the same thing that Egypt's Ra and Greece's Zeus did. eventually people will come to their senses, and then some other group of people will create a new supreme being in order to control the masses.

I respect everyone's right to believe however they believe, however, I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would believe in anything beyond what we know. all logic tells us man has made up religions upteen times in the past and not one of them has panned out as "the" one. why would a relatively young religion such as christianity be "it", especially when it's so overly documented how much of that religion's stories and traditions have been lifted from other religions?

People will eventually come to their senses? That is where we disagree. Lol

Maybe not come to their senses, but relatively speaking, a religion that is 2000 years old is actually fairly new. In the grand scheme. When Zombie Jesus doesn't come back after, say, another 8000, and the church refuses to evolve with society, it will die out. It's already seeing a significant decline all over the planet. But something else will just take its place.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• paulonious wrote: »

Godfather.

When Zombie Jesus doesn't come back after, say, another 8000, and the church refuses to evolve with society, it will die out.

:))

You (and hedonist) are too kind. I, however, am not so technologically adept. If I figure out posting photos I'll let you know.

You (and hedonist) are too kind. I, however, am not so technologically adept. If I figure out posting photos I'll let you know.

really?

really?
    Well, might not let everyone know....

really?

pics or it didn't happen

really?

pics or it didn't happen
    Although devastated by your lack of faith, somehow I will go on.

really?

pics or it didn't happen
    Although devastated by your lack of faith, somehow I will go on.

Hey don't feel bad, oftenreading, it took me FOR-EEEVER to figure out how to download pictures and it's still like pulling teeth!

Sweet time is yours for the taking :-)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2015
    That is totally fascinating. I have also wondered about infinity when it comes to the universe.... infinity is a really fucked up concept. Not everyone buys that it's possible outside of theory I think.
    But since when was the big bang theory one of the most widely accepted concepts, as the article mentions?? Hell, I'm not sure I even believe it, and I'm an atheist on the side of the scientists, lol.

I wish the sky looked like that still. Would be so cool to be able to see space phenomena from earth.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

That is totally fascinating. I have also wondered about infinity when it comes to the universe.... infinity is a really fucked up concept. Not everyone buys thst it's possible outside of theory I think.
    But since when was the big band LG theory one of the most widely accepted concepts, as the article mentions?? He'll, I'm not sure I even believe it, and I'm an atheist on the side of the scientists, lol.

I wish the sky looked like thst still. Would be so cool to be able to see space phenomena from earth.
    Interesting concepts, forever and infinity are!

I was talking to a prof (psychology, not cosmology) I used to work with and she said she had read another theory that proposed that once there was nothing and a slight shift of some kind caused the universe to start up. Now I know that's a sketchy summary of the theory- we were more focused on other issues- and she couldn't recall where she had read that. If this at all sounds familiar, it would be interesting to read about that theory.