Disney Vacations

Comments

• Disney nazis?

Wow
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    edited January 2015
    That's my nickname for the folks who run the lines etc. there. They do everything in their power to minimize your ability to get the most bang for your buck at the parks.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Please explain.
    I have never had an issue with Disney worker's.

Actually they are some of the kindest people on the planet.
    Some are fine, but in my many trips I've noticed a concerted effort to slow lines down, never more noticeable than with the new Dumbo ride and they gave you a pager and forced you into a playground area where the kids were going nuts and the parents were pissed. They seemed to have changed that process this year, or the line wasn't long enough to implement it. All in all I honestly think there is something from management in the training that has workers slow things down and makes it more difficult to get to as many rides/attractions as possible.

Also famous for moving your stroller from where you parked it (in a legit stroller area), so when you get off a ride, it's not where you left it and you have to search for it (glad my kid is well past stroller age now).

Having no kids it may be less noticeable to you, but it's there...my wife (the Disney apologist) used to say I was crazy/just angry, but she's come around in recent years and was amongst many this year who really detest the new fast pass plus system. (Can't get a fast pass for both Soarin' and Test Track on same day, fast passes for Dwarves Mine Train are all assigned 60 days prior and you have no shot if you aren't a resort guest etc.)
  • Gotcha. Yeah obviously not having kids makes me completely oblivious to the whole stroller, pager, etc. issues.
    Was not aware of the fast track policy either.
  • Gotcha. Yeah obviously not having kids makes me completely oblivious to the whole stroller, pager, etc. issues.
    Was not aware of the fast pass policy either.

Yeah they have changed the way they do fast passes now. Its called fast pass plus. You can pre-select 3 rides each day for a fast pass (resort guests can do it 60 days in advance online or through app, others can do it 30 days in advance if you pre-purchase your tix or you can do it when you arrive at the park). But there's limitations, in Epcot for example they say, "Pick one from column A and 2 from column B" and of course Test Track and Soarin' are both in column A. So you can't get a fast pass for both on same day. (You can add additional fast passes one at a time after you use you first 3 up, but by then there's gonna be nothing left for say Soarin' unless you are there on a very very slow day.)
    You then use either your magic band or park entry card to scan into the fast pass line at the appropriate time, no more of those little paper fast pass tickets. Some people were ticked cause it forces you to decide in advance which park you want to go to on a given day if you want to book your fast passes, and as I mentioned above, it gives a huge advantage for the most popular rides (specifically the new Dwarves ride this year) to resort guests. I was told on both days we did Magic Kingdom that fast passes for that were sold out 60 days prior, so stand by was the only option if you weren't a resort guest who was also lucky enough to book it 60 days prior.
    So prepare to make your choices around March 1.
  • Poncier wrote: »
    Yeah they have changed the way they do fast passes now. Its called fast pass plus. You can pre-select 3 rides each day for a fast pass (resort guests can do it 60 days in advance online or through app, others can do it 30 days in advance if you pre-purchase your tix or you can do it when you arrive at the park). But there's limitations, in Epcot for example they say, "Pick one from column A and 2 from column B" and of course Test Track and Soarin' are both in column A. So you can't get a fast pass for both on same day. (You can add additional fast passes one at a time after you use you first 3 up, but by then there's gonna be nothing left for say Soarin' unless you are there on a very very slow day.)
    You then use either your magic band or park entry card to scan into the fast pass line at the appropriate time, no more of those little paper fast pass tickets. Some people were ticked cause it forces you to decide in advance which park you want to go to on a given day if you want to book your fast passes, and as I mentioned above, it gives a huge advantage for the most popular rides (specifically the new Dwarves ride this year) to resort guests. I was told on both days we did Magic Kingdom that fast passes for that were sold out 60 days prior, so stand by was the only option if you weren't a resort guest who was also lucky enough to book it 60 days prior.
    So prepare to make your choices around March 1.
    That is just RIDICULOUS!
    What the fuck were they thinking with that policy?
    They no longer give you those hourly fast pass tickets? Just strange.
    Its another plank in my "Disney Nazism" platform. :D
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    Well, Disney refunded my downstroke, and my vacation in May, has officially been cancelled. BUMMER!

But we will go later in the year, maybe.
    Oh well, life goes on.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited March 2015

Well, Disney refunded my downstroke, and my vacation in May, has officially been cancelled. BUMMER!

Oh well, life goes on.

Without kids,Universal ,Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens are more fun then Disney.Also go when they have concerts at hard rock(Universal not Busch gardens) Stay at the Universal resorts and take the boat to City Walk after the parks.
    We go up to City Walk to see concerts at Hard Rock Live then hit the bars,Espescially the best karaoke bar.its a blast.

Oh well, life goes on.

Did they cancel it or you?
    Poncier said:

Oh well, life goes on.

We had to cancel. Kathy is back in school and thought she had this week off. Turns out she didn't.

No big deal. I save $3k and we can take a big trip next winter. Cancun? Aruba?
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396

Poncier said:

Oh well, life goes on.

We had to cancel. Kathy is back in school and thought she had this week off. Turns out she didn't.

No big deal. I save $3k and we can take a big trip next winter. Cancun? Aruba?
    We'll think of something.

Why did they get rid of the expressions. I feel naked without them. I would now be using the "shifty" look.....and now I have to copy you Mike...hehehehehehe
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • MY bride and I leave tomorrow for Disney.

YIPPIE!!!!

Gonna put on my Mickey Ears, and act a fool.

• Just booked another trip to the Land Of The Mouse. Going in July

Twice in 6 months.

I think I've lost my mind.  

• Took the wife and my two older kids (20 and 17) to Disneyland this past summer.

We went twice when the kids were little and loved it. This time, we weren't in full service mode and could be selfish- it was a blast!

We'd do it again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Just booked another trip to the Land Of The Mouse. Going in July

Twice in 6 months.

I think I've lost my mind.  

July in Orlando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTGrV58wec

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Going on another disney cruise in 4 weeks
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I bought a time share from Disney back in 2001 one of the best things we’ve done , I’ve used it a bunch of times when my kids we’re young it made it so easy for us to vacation there and other destinations throughout the country & abroad..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    For a kid, what age is the right age to do Disney for the first time?

8 more weeks!

Cant wait to put on my Mickey Ears, and get a pineapple dole whip.

Bring on Flight Of Avatar! (That's if my fatass can still fit in to the ride) Hahahahaha

For a kid, what age is the right age to do Disney for the first time?

We took my son when he was 3 for just one day (were visiting my brother in law in south Florida and drove to Orlando for one night) to test the waters. At that age you really are pretty much confined to Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom, rides like Small World, Winnie the Pooh etc., and meeting characters (which can be either amazing or scary at that age depending on the kid). Only good thing at that age is you can get them in for free (they technically start charging at 3, but don't check ID, so its an easy one to circumvent, even got him in at 4 for free by stuffing him into a stroller). So that age is good if you're doing a day or 2 within a vacation doing other things. For a full on vacation at Disney where you spend most/all of your days at parks I'd say at least 5 or 6 depending on the kid.

8 more weeks!

Cant wait to put on my Mickey Ears, and get a pineapple dole whip.

Bring on Flight Of Avatar! (That's if my fatass can still fit in to the ride) Hahahahaha

We're heading to Disneyland in August (have done that the past couple of summers). The Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge section opens this Friday in CA (think it opens in September in FLA), so looking forward to that, hoping crowds have subsided a bit in the 2.5 months till we get there. (Week we go is usually not crazy as some of the local CA kids are already back in school late August, my son doesn't go back till after Labor Day).
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I went through the whole Disney thing with our kids.  I'm now watching my cousin (she has serious OCD issues related to Disney and also with selling Beachbody) do the Disney trips about every six months.

Our kids had fun with it but they had just as much fun going to Kings Island in Cincinnati.  While I think Disney is pretty amazing it is a fucking ripoff.  They let way too many people in that place for the price they charge. 

We did Disney two years in a row at one point.  We stayed at a resort (Port Orleans) one year and in a condo another year.  After the second visit we were done with visiting the parks multiple days.

One of our best trips was a few years later when we rented a home with a pool in Kissimmee and went to the parks just two different days.  The kids had a blast in the pool and we didn't have to wait in any fucking lines to do anything.

I have four kids so Disney trips were pretty expensive.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    So starting to plan a trip to D'land from Australia 
    What is the best time of year to go?? 
    Hoping to avoid ridiculous crowds obviously.... 
    Also - any pro tips on where to stay?? 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Anybody have any dvc points available to rent?  Looking to get a two bedroom villa at Hilton head next summer. 41 points a night.  Trying to stay Sunday to Thursday (164 points)  or Friday (205 points). Anytime in July or August (with the exception of the last week) is good.  Thanks!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    redraw said:
    Best time of year to go may be right now as school has just begun. Avoid any school vacation periods, especially Christmas break.

As for places to stay, if you're looking for a good deal there are a few decent motels that you can walk to the park from without spending a fortune. We just stayed here: https://edenrocanaheim.com/
    Basic motel, but recently renovated and clean, well maintained. 10 minute walk to the parks & Downtown Disney, and reasonably priced (use the book direct link on the website) The prices tend to drop the closer it gets to dates if its not a busy time and place isn't sold out, can rebook and cancel original reservation if its over 24 hours from your arrival. I did that and knocked a couple hundred bucks off the original price I locked in.
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    redraw said:
    This is so exciting! Are you going next year? 

We went to Disney and Legoland in  California in January about 6 years ago, it was winter but still mild like Queensland winter. Also there weren't many queues. 

We stayed somewhere about 10mins walking distance and spent two days in the park, I would of liked an extra day but not enough time. So much fun. 

If going to Legoland check opening days because they weren't open everyday and our itinerary revolved around that. 

Looking forward to hearing your plans. 
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Thanks for the advice Poncier & Tash 
    Thinking of late Sept-Oct next year.
    D'land is the #1 priority but also hoping to add a few days in Vegas and a trek up to Seattle =)
    Still a lot of planning and saving to be done between now and then.... 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25