Options

Disney Vacations

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    Agreed
    The Lightening Lane is 100% PURE BULLSHIT! 

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mace1229 said:
    Poncier said:
    $800 for a meal at Disneyland. Sounds about right these days Joe. 
    Speedy will spend $800 on Dole Whips ad Mickey pretzels alone in April.

Enjoy the trip Speedy.

We're probably heading to the Anaheim House of Mouse in August coupling it with a visit to the new Super Nintendo World at Universal Hollywood that my son the Mario Kart freak has been anticipating for a few years now.
    Sadly, this is why my kids will probably never know what Disneyland/world is like.
    I grew up about 50 minutes from Disneyland ad we would go 1-2 times a year, so it makes me a little sad. But they've priced the average family out.
    Obviously club33 is not going to be part of the plan. But last time we went it was  about 5 years ago and cost over $800 for 3 tickets (including 1 kid who was about 3 at the time), parking and food for the day. Lines were so long we barely got to do anything.
    I don't blame them though, if I could charge that and sell out every day, I would too. 

Yep.  I've talked to some friends who have gone and it's just an absurd amount of money to take a family there.  Hard to envision a time when I'll be dropping at least 5-6K for a disneyworld trip.  Maybe in 4-5 years when I'm done paying childcare costs.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    We got invited to Club 33 at Disneyland last weekend.  Very snazzy private club in New Orleans Square.

Walt took me for almost $800 when you figure-in park admission, the Club 33 meal, parking and snacks for the two of us.

I like the term "invited".  "You are invited to pay $800 to eat here.  You should be grateful."
    , lightning passes, 
    This is one thing that really grinds my gears (to quote the great philosopher Homer Simpson).
    They now charge you for what used to be free, "fast passes". It was what finally made my wife see the light and come over to my side of the Disney greed argument.
    yeah it's bullshit...I got screwed at Universal for that because when you buy online they dangle it in front of you because they "sell out quick" yet when we went we didn't really need them because it wasn't extremely busy. Too late to ask for refund then.
    I won't pay extra and just take my chances.
    One thing to do when it's possible (and I know it often isn't especially with kids) is to try and go at less busy times. Definitely avoid school vacations. We did Disneyworld a couple of years when my son was middle school age just after Christmas and the crowds were misery. NYE was ridiculous. Magic kingdom at full capacity and closed before noontime. After a couple of years of that I convinced the wife to try Disneyland in August instead (wasn't going to Orlando in August, no thank you). Have found that late August isn't too bad (weekdays at least) as many California school districts have started back already. Now that my kid is in college and doesn't start move back in until early September, we are going Aug 21-29 this year and hoping for decent crowd sizes, not doing any parks on the Saturday. Most important this year is Universal Hollywood as they have opened Super Nintendo World and my son is a Mario Kart freak, so he's been looking forward to that for a few years.
    Speedy should have a good week, late April to mid-May is a decent time for Orlando crowd wise as is November (excluding Thanksgiving week) and early December.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,481
    The place basically sold out for spring break. Still looking for ideas where to go. The Dollywood thing sounds cool and I've never been to that area of the country. Any suggestions about where to stay, etc?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    The place basically sold out for spring break. Still looking for ideas where to go. The Dollywood thing sounds cool and I've never been to that area of the country. Any suggestions about where to stay, etc?
    I've never been to Dollywood, but I have been to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg part of Tennessee. It is very touristy, so there are lots of hotels and rental houses. The last couple of times we used either Vrbo or AirBnB to rent a house. We would pick a place between the 2 towns and easily accessible to US Highway 321. Honestly though, I'm not a big fan of that area. Reminds me too much of Myrtle Beach, but in the mountains. The best things there are the Ole Smokey Distillery and finding places to go in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. If you want to take a trip to Tennessee, I would recommend Nashville or Memphis.
  • Options
    I've never been to Dollywood, but I have been to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg part of Tennessee. It is very touristy, so there are lots of hotels and rental houses. The last couple of times we used either Vrbo or AirBnB to rent a house. We would pick a place between the 2 towns and easily accessible to US Highway 321. Honestly though, I'm not a big fan of that area. Reminds me too much of Myrtle Beach, but in the mountains. The best things there are the Ole Smokey Distillery and finding places to go in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. If you want to take a trip to Tennessee, I would recommend Nashville or Memphis.
    I mean, we're talking about a family trip here - this is a Disney thread - so something "touristy" is kinda what we're looking for. Roller coasters and stuff.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    It's a cool area to visit with kids. Great aquarium in Gatlinburg....also Ober Gatlinburg is fun to visit. 

Cabin rental is nice because you can generally get one with a hot tub and pool table, etc. Traffic between Gatlinburg and Sevierville is ridiculous so you either need to plan your drives to avoid it or stay in the middle of it so you don't have to drive. 

Visits to the Nat'l park, canoeing, Dollywood, all kinds of shit to do
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I mean, we're talking about a family trip here - this is a Disney thread - so something "touristy" is kinda what we're looking for. Roller coasters and stuff.
    Touristy isn't my problem with it. I said that to convey that there are plenty of options when it comes to lodging. I just lost interest with the other things around the area. Nashville and Memphis are touristy as well, I just prefer what those cities offer over Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
  • Options
    It's a cool area to visit with kids. Great aquarium in Gatlinburg....also Ober Gatlinburg is fun to visit. 

Cabin rental is nice because you can generally get one with a hot tub and pool table, etc. Traffic between Gatlinburg and Sevierville is ridiculous so you either need to plan your drives to avoid it or stay in the middle of it so you don't have to drive. 

Visits to the Nat'l park, canoeing, Dollywood, all kinds of shit to do
    Thanks!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    We purchased a Disney time share back in 01! We’ve gotten our money’s worth from it used it a lot when my kids were kids these days me & my wife just use it to exchange for other locations throughout the country/ world, we like going down to Orlando and spend long weekends at the beach villas drinking margaritas and enjoy the pool, maybe go into Epcot but really don’t do the other parks. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    Touristy isn't my problem with it. I said that to convey that there are plenty of options when it comes to lodging. I just lost interest with the other things around the area. Nashville and Memphis are touristy as well, I just prefer what those cities offer over Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
    Also probably depends who you are with. Just my wife and I for the weekend I'd probably have more fun in nashville. If we're bringing our 2 small kids, I'd prefer PF/Gatlinburg.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited March 2023
    mace1229 said:
    Also probably depends who you are with. Just my wife and I for the weekend I'd probably have more fun in nashville. If we're bringing our 2 small kids, I'd prefer PF/Gatlinburg.
    yeah Nashville doesn't hit me as a great family vacation spot....G'burg is fun. Touristy yes but kids love it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mmmm....dole whip.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Can’t wait to upgrade my pixie pass to a higher level lol
  • Options
    3 more weeks until I am in The House of the Mouse. 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312

Enjoy it! It’s better without kids 😂😂 me & wife totally enjoy it by ourselves we did plenty of Disney with kids too it was a lot of fun I must admit 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Sweet. Say hi to the 6 foot rat for me.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Sweet. Say hi to the 6 foot rat for me.
    We are hitting up the Ohana restaurant for the 1st time. My wife is THRILLED about that. 
    Guess she also booked the Star Wars Bar in Hollywood Studios. That should be interesting. 
    Other than those 2 it's the usual menu for us. We do the rest of our dinners in Epcot and spend a ton of money on delicious food. 
    Japan pavilion
    Mexico
    France

• Options
    Japan and Mexico are 2 of our staples at Epcot.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Yes sir
    Have gone to both those restaurants, every trip, for over 25 years. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I really enjoyed Ohana the last time I was there. Granted, that was 10 years ago so it might have changed. It was served family style and I remember our table getting noodles, teriyaki beef, and maybe some kind of pork dish. Maybe another entree too, but I can't remember. I could have eaten my weight in those noodles. Also, the bread pudding for dessert was fantastic as well. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    We leave in 2 days.
    Go take a look at my weather forecast for next week in Orlando. 

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Poncier said:
    We leave in 2 days.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh my.
    I have Orlando as one of the saved cities in my weather app on my phone.
    At least Thursday looks dry.
    But often when it lists rain in Florida it's not a full day of it, so hopefully that's what you're dealing with, maybe afternoon thundershower rolls through for an hour and rest of day is OK.
    Fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Disney World in the rain is still better than working in the sun.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    We leave in 2 days.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh my.
    But often when it lists rain in Florida it's not a full day of it, so hopefully that's what you're dealing with, maybe afternoon thundershower rolls through for an hour and rest of day is OK.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Yeah, As a 30 year veteran of Disney weather, I am well aware of the afternoon rain shower in Orlando. But this looks a little different. FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!
    When the weather forecast "Changed" last week, I wanted to fucking throw up. And actually I think my bride did throw up. Hahahahaha
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    We leave in 2 days.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh my.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Yeah, As a 30 year veteran of Disney weather, I am well aware of the afternoon rain shower in Orlando. But this looks a little different. FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!
    When the weather forecast "Changed" last week, I wanted to fucking throw up. And actually I think my bride did throw up. Hahahahaha
    Back in 1995 we took our 2 little kids to Disneyland. it rained most of the day for at least 2 of the 4 days we were there. A lot of wet clothes and a bit of a hassle, but we still had fun.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    We leave in 2 days.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh my.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Back in 1995 we took our 2 little kids to Disneyland. it rained most of the day for at least 2 of the 4 days we were there. A lot of wet clothes and a bit of a hassle, but we still had fun.
    Oh yeah, Ive done Disney in the rain a few times over the years, and yes you just get your pancho and make the best of it.
  • Options
    I wish I was in Disney, sitting in the France Pavillion, having coffee and sharing a chocolate eclair with my mom.
    I wish a lot of things. 
  • Options
    So, for the 1st time since 2020. Disney has announced the return of the free dining plan. 
    My wife and I jumped on it, and booked a trip for September. 

• Options
    Nice.
    Dole whips all around.