Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• lolobugg wrote: »
    My pono arrived today! I had ripped my Benny on vinyl at 192/24 FLAC and have been listening to that using my phone through my stereo with Bose speakers and I thought THAT sounded fantastic.... BUT listening to that Benny vinyl rip on the same system using the pono is absolutely incredible! Time to invest in some $300 headphones I think too!

that sounds awesome.
    you haven't happened to share that version on any "sites" by chance???

Well since it's no longer sold here or in most retailers, it's probably OK for him to share it. Care to maybe upload it to Mega? :D
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,324
    lolobugg wrote: »
    My pono arrived today! I had ripped my Benny on vinyl at 192/24 FLAC and have been listening to that using my phone through my stereo with Bose speakers and I thought THAT sounded fantastic.... BUT listening to that Benny vinyl rip on the same system using the pono is absolutely incredible! Time to invest in some $300 headphones I think too!

that sounds awesome.

Well since it's no longer sold here or in most retailers, it's probably OK for him to share it. Care to maybe upload it to Mega? :D

Ya guy's talking about this release?

829MB . Lineage: Music Hall MMF-5, Grado Gold cartridge, ION USB Recorder, Audacity on Sony VAIO. Saved as 24/96 lossless WAVs, copied to Mac OS X Lion, saved as lossless FLACs with xACT.

Seeing that 10club has been putting up a Benny vinyl copy on eBay every few weeks http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-LIVE-AT-BENAROYA-HALL-VINYL-BOX-SET-/251754345847?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a9dba7577 I don't think it's ok to post a direct download link of the audio here.

If it's ok though, I'll totally upload the rip here.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    demetrios wrote: »
    lolobugg wrote: »

that sounds awesome.

Ya guy's talking about this release?

829MB . Lineage: Music Hall MMF-5, Grado Gold cartridge, ION USB Recorder, Audacity on Sony VAIO. Saved as 24/96 lossless WAVs, copied to Mac OS X Lion, saved as lossless FLACs with xACT.

Seeing that 10club has been putting up a Benny vinyl copy on eBay every few weeks http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-LIVE-AT-BENAROYA-HALL-VINYL-BOX-SET-/251754345847?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a9dba7577 I don't think it's ok to post a direct download link of the audio here.

If it's ok though, I'll totally upload the rip here.

thanks for verifying that it is out there. I will find it. thank you.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 691
    edited December 2014
    This is going to sound odd, but does Jeff's signature on anyone else's Pono seem faded? The "J" looks like it was buffered out and doesn't reflect the same. The other signatures are much more vibrant. It's purely an aesthetic thing and the player functions great, but curious to see if anyone else noticed?

Post edited by tribejammer05 on
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Feign reluctance, you crack me up.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

They keep beating this dead horse. I ended up asking for the Sony NWZ-A17 (the $300 player he mentions in the article) for Christmas because I wanted a FLAC player. The Pono is a FLAC player, too. Putting the Hi-Res argument aside, saying that the hardware is unnecessary is wrong. There is no reason anybody should be listening to compressed audio anymore. If Neil's campaign gets people thinking about Apple alternatives, then it's successful.
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    As per my reward, I am still waiting on some HD/HR presentation box (lol), seeing customs in Australia preferred to say no to "bamboo" and yes to the shitty cardboard box it was sent in.
    Is this thread open to taking on whinges?
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466

I don't agree with all the points in the article. Mainly that an iphone is a convenient piece of hardware to use to listen to high quality music. I hate my iphone, but its what I've got, at the moment. I've bought flac files and converted them, but never actually was able to get them to load into itunes. It seems like any file with higher def than an MP3 is a royal pain. The HD-Flac boots I've listened to are far superior to the cds, even played through my computer (through slightly upgraded speakers). I'm so frustrated with itunes.....I think a music player that handles multiple file types (like high def files) without having to convert them is the way to go. I don't necessarily believe that the Pono is the only answer, but I like the idea.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Everything I read tells me superman is the only person that can actually hear the difference between CD and hd-flac

But I could be wrong of course, never tried it myself... maybe I am old skool but I still like a physical product (cd) if I am paying $
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    edited January 2015
    my2hands wrote: »
    Everything I read tells me superman is the only person that can actually hear the difference between CD and hd-flac

But I could be wrong of course, never tried it myself... maybe I am old skool but I still like a physical product (cd) if I am paying $

I'm with you on the second point....but then I tried HD Flac, and based on that experience, I thought it was okay to make a compromise with myself! :)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im considering getting rid of my Pono. I like it and all, its just a bit redundant. I have spent considerable $ on my vinyl collection, and also have volumes of digital music, mostly in shitty formats but its mostly for use on the go, loaded right into my cellphone. FLAC files play on poweramp. I find myself not really using the Pono.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Release EV wrote: »
    As per my reward, I am still waiting on some HD/HR presentation box (lol), seeing customs in Australia preferred to say no to "bamboo" and yes to the shitty cardboard box it was sent in.

At least you got your player. I am still waiting on mine X( Pono customer support sucks balls.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • I'm faced with a major dilemma. A guy offered me $800 for my PJ Pono loaded with my 60 bootlegs. I have a Foo's Pono also but he wants the PJ. Part of me doesn't want to let it go but the money would help.
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    rafie wrote: »
    Release EV wrote: »

At least you got your player. I am still waiting on mine X( Pono customer support sucks balls.

No, no, no...what are you talking about. They are great. Good on you for turning this thread like others into a whinge. :(

LOL - yes they suck the biggest balls possible. Ones you need a wheelbarrow to carry.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,324
    Still waiting to upgrade my whole vinyl > 24 Bit Flac Pearl Jam album collection with studio mastered Pono 192kHz 24Bit Flacs. Looks like I'll be waiting a long, long time ...
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    I noticed someone above got offered $800 for their Pono with music on it. Ultimately, I hope people are happy with their purchases, but the few articles and videos that I've come across online after people have actually used the Pono player isn't all that great. For example,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQUFCCcQ4A
    If you can sell your Pono player for anything above cost, perhaps you should take the money and run.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    MedozK wrote: »

15 people is hardly enough of a sample size to reach a firm conclusion, but I find it interesting that more people preferred the iTunes. Is it because that's all these people have known for the last decade? Is it because recordings are being compressed (and have less dynamic range) in the recording process to sound good on Apple devices?

I laughed at the Pono guy who said that the Pono brought more "emotion". Whatever that means...

It's hard to know what is marketing hype and what isn't these days.
  • Neil Young’s “HD Audio” PonoPlayer put up against iPhone, results fall flat http://pulse.me/s/3lm6Zu

Ouch again.
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Neil Young’s “HD Audio” PonoPlayer put up against iPhone, results fall flat http://pulse.me/s/3lm6Zu

Ouch again.

LOL. Unbiased site?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    I opened mine a few months ago and have been using it as a higher storage unit for ALAC HD Pearl Jam boots I've bought and FLAC downloads that come with vinyl records In a way, I really like having another device other than my iPhone that has only PJ and a select few other bands. I do think it sounds way better, and it's encouraged me to get good quality headphones, so for that alone, it's been awesome.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    So in blind tests people are preferring iphones to pono when using high quality headphones?
    Ouch again.

Also interesting that the artists made all of their statements by comparing pono to low rez mp3s only in Neil's pono-car. No one sells low rez anymore.
    Neil Young’s “HD Audio” PonoPlayer put up against iPhone, results fall flat http://pulse.me/s/3lm6Zu

Ouch again.

people raised on shitty resolution like MP3 and Dre Beats prefer shitty quality music.
    no surprise there.
    it's like being addicted to sugar.
    I agree though that everyone doesn't have the ears for HD but with a good setup you should definitely be able to tell the difference.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Well these articles raise a good point. Itunes and amazon do not sell low resolution mp3s.

What the advertisements and endorsements all put Pono up against was low resolution mp3s. Even Neil's statement to yahoo said ".....compared to low resolution mp3".

Most people with CDs or normal mp3s wont hear a difference. That's why iphones are beating Pono in blind tests.
    edited February 2015
    cp3iverson wrote: »
    Well these articles raise a good point. Itunes and amazon do not sell low resolution mp3s.

What the advertisements and endorsements all put Pono up against was low resolution mp3s. Even Neil's statement to yahoo said ".....compared to low resolution mp3".

Most people with CDs or normal mp3s wont hear a difference. That's why iphones are beating Pono in blind tests.

Yeah. I don't think it will ever be as popular as Iphones/Ipods.
    It is definitely a niche market for people who have the gear and can tell the difference between resolutions.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Which means this thing is really marketed towards kiddos who came up in the low-rez era of digital music - not their parents who own fucking turntables and vintage hi-fi systems.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Which means this thing is really marketed towards kiddos who came up in the low-rez era of digital music - not their parents who own fucking turntables and vintage hi-fi systems.

I think that is probably their hope and maybe part of the business plan, but sadly it won't catch on with millennials. Maybe the subset that are into vinyl.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2