Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    oh really you think so lol..
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    edited November 2014
    How long on average did it take for the player to arrive from the moment you got the shipping conformation? Just changed my address to a U.S. one (in Hawaii). My mother will be there until December 4th and I want to be sure that it will arrive before she comes back to Israel (can not ship the bamboo box to here).

Besides that, I am considering buying a pair of headphones for listening to the Pono. My budget is no more than 70$. recommendations?
    Post edited by rafie on
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,183
    rafie said:

How long on average did it take for the player to arrive from the moment you got the shipping conformation? Just changed my address to a U.S. one (in Hawaii). My mother will be there until December 4th and I want to be sure that it will arrive before she comes back to Israel (can not ship the bamboo box to here).

Besides that, I am considering buying a pair of headphones for listening to the Pono. My budget is no more than 70$. recommendations?

I bought a pair or Sennheiser CX 890i noise canceling earbuds today on Amazon for $100, about $50 off the regular price. You should check them out. Read the first comment. That might sway you to go for these. Hard to believe a more positive comment could be written.
  • Options
    For that price I would go with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Best bang for your buck.
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    I have a Foo Fighters pono for sale for $420 shipped. Please PM if interested thanks!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

For that price I would go with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Best bang for your buck.

Used in pro recording studios - have tested them out in a local studio and they are jaw dropping. So so good!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

They do look good... Cost 85$ on Amazon right now. Know where to find it cheaper? The Sony MDR7506 is going for the same price. Any thoughts as far as comparison?
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• Options
    rafie said:

They do look good... Cost 85$ on Amazon right now. Know where to find it cheaper? The Sony MDR7506 is going for the same price. Any thoughts as far as comparison?
    You will find threads on audiophile message boards that will debate the MDR-V6 vs the MDR 7606 for page after page. Most reviews are split 50/50 with many thinking they are exactly the same. I went with the V6 since it seemed to have very slightly better reviews and costs a few bucks less. I think that Amazon price is the best around. I ordered from B&H instead since they offered free next day delivery from where I live and also no sales tax which Amazon now has in Maryland.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

rafie said:

You will find threads on audiophile message boards that will debate the MDR-V6 vs the MDR 7606 for page after page. Most reviews are split 50/50 with many thinking they are exactly the same. I went with the V6 since it seemed to have very slightly better reviews and costs a few bucks less. I think that Amazon price is the best around. I ordered from B&H instead since they offered free next day delivery from where I live and also no sales tax which Amazon now has in Maryland.
    Definitely leaning towards the sony mdr-v6, although it costs a bit more than I was looking to spend...

Can anyone tell me the dimensions and weight of the package (I mean the box that the pono player is stored in)?
    Post edited by rafie on

• Options
    gleng2gleng2 Detroit Posts: 157
    Spnoone was nice enough to work out a deal that didn't put me over a barrel. Have he for 6 days LOVE it. Is it that much better than regular MP3? Probably not. But saves the battery on my iPhone. Using Bose 0E2. BB has on sale.
    Former member of “Thomas 9” 10-2-2018 #neverforget
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,696
    Your PonoPlayer Shipments Timeline and Other Important Info

Posted by the PonoMusic Team

Backer white
    For backers only

Your PonoPlayer Shipments Timeline and Other Important Info

Dear Pono backers,

Many of you have asked for some clarification on the timeline for your reward shipments. This update is intended to provide this information to the best of our ability. It also addresses numerous other items raised by you in the community and our moderators.
    Production & Shipments Update

We have been in production since mid-October, just six weeks ago, increasing production steadily each week, and now can give you a clearer picture of product status and delivery.

We wish things could have gone more predictably, but unfortunately much of what we experienced is par for the course for a consumer electronics startup. In fact, many of the top Kickstarter projects that have come before us experienced much greater challenges and significantly longer delays in the shipment of their rewards. As always we remain dedicated to deliver all October and December players to you before Christmas.

As of this update we have manufactured:

9103 Chrome LE players
    2824 Yellow players
    380 Clear players

We are scheduled to complete 3497 Black players between December 2 and December 8. The black players were delayed because of supplier problems affecting the cosmetics of the special black soft touch paint. We expect all our Kickstarter production to be completed by December 8.

Once your player is manufactured and passes all quality tests, it is shipped to your country from China by air. Depending on the country of destination and other factors, delivery typically takes 3 to 5 days. When the product is ready to be shipped, you will receive a notice alerting you of an upcoming delivery by UPS. A signature is required for it to be left. Three attempts will be made, and if the package cannot be delivered, it will be returned to our manufacturer in China, following UPS’s policy to return it to the sender. To date 52 units have not been able to be delivered due primarily to no one being available to receive it.

Some of you who ordered October Limited Edition players are still waiting for your players, and we apologize for the delay, particularly since you were our earliest supporters. While we began production of the Limited Editions players in pledge priority order, a number of them required their housings to be remade because the cosmetics and laser etching did not meet our specifications. That’s why some of you have received players in a specific Limited Edition series while others are still waiting.

These series include Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, and Lenny Kravitz. From these series, 1997 units have been built out of a total of 3089. The remaining units will be completed between now and December 8.

We are still waiting for some artists to provide us the albums for their December Limited Edition series. These include:

ZZ Top
    Tegan & Sara
    Emmylou Harris
    Kenny Rogers

We anticipate having these albums arrive next week and to ship a few days after that.

Bamboo Update

If you reside in a country that does not allow our bamboo gift box to be imported (see Kickstarter Update #49), your player (regardless of player type) will be ship by December 10, once the newly designed cardboard boxes are ready. There are 380 such units.

Countries with Customs Clearance Challenges

If you reside in a country that has additional customs clearance issues and/or government-imposed charges (see Kickstarter Update #49), you should have already been notified by email of what the issues are. We’ve offered to ship your player to an alternate mailing address. We expect to ship these players as they become available within the next week according to your shipment instructions.

It’s important to note that we do not set or control these charges; they are determined by each country’s government policies and the rules are implemented by UPS. It’s not something we could have determined considering we have Pono backers from 80 countries. From what we’ve learned from the community, these charges can vary within a country based on numerous local factors.

Hardware Support

We have established a strong support organization in California to supply high quality customer support for your player. In the unlikely chance you need to send us your player for repair, Pono will pay for 3-day shipping both inbound and outbound. We will also provide at your request a free loaner player while we repair your unit if it takes more than 3 days.
    Shipping Address Issues

We still have over 1000 rewards with incomplete or invalid addresses and/or phone numbers. We have created a self-service tool for you to make sure you Kickstarter reward is shipped correctly and as soon as it’s ready. This tool can be accessed here:

https://ponomusic.force.com/KickstarterAddressUpdate

This tool also informs you whether your player is waiting to be shipped. If this is the case, by providing us a valid shipping address and phone number, you will personally trigger the shipment of your player. We don’t establish what address is valid or not; this is done by UPS.

Artist Signature Series Players’ Albums

Limited Edition players come with 2 albums of the artist’s choice. They are found on the microSD card accompanying the player.

Some of you expressed disappointment that the resolution of these albums is not 192/24 or at least higher than CD. We are providing the highest resolution available, and are working with the artists to provide more high resolution content.

Tutorial Videos & Support

We have put together a number of tutorial videos on the use of the PonoMusic ecosystem. We continue to add additional videos to this library. Expect to see a new video next week on the use of the PonoPlayer itself. Before you contact support, we recommend that you check out these videos first as they likely answer the majority of your questions:

http://help.ponomusic.com

Also, our community support is accessible at:

http://support.ponomusic.com

You must be logged in to the community to use the support system above, but using this system results in the most optimal support experience. Alternatively, you can also email support@ponomusic.com or call us at: 800-611-0580.

• Options
    Beta Access to the Music Store

Once your PonoPlayer reward has shipped, you should receive a notification email informing you of the tracking number. The same email also provides you information on beta access to the PonoMusic Store as well as the PonoMusic World desktop app. The latter is available on Mac and Windows and is used to download your purchased music, organize your library, make playlists, and sync your music to your player. It also provides you firmware updates for your PonoPlayer.

We realize that some of the email notifications were sent out late, in some cases after the PonoPlayer was already delivered. We are ironing this process issue and will do our best to send the email notifications out when your player ships. If you have received your player but have not been sent your email notification, please email us at: beta@ponomusic.com.

NOTE: Once you receive your email notification with beta access info, you must login to PonoMusic.com to have the ability to see album prices and to purchase and download music. If you’re NOT logged in, the system does not give you access to music purchases.

PonoMusic World Desktop App

The PonoMusic World desktop app (PMW) is still in beta mode, which means we continuously work on improving it and ironing out any issues that are reported. One earlier build of PMW was particularly susceptible to failed downloads but the latest version is very stable. If you happen to have the older version, we strongly recommend that you update your PMW from the Help menu by selecting Update Channels | Check for Updates.

As many of your know, the PMW app is an OEM from our partner JRiver. Some of you have discovered that some unreleased builds of the PMW were made available on the JRiver community site. Do realize that if you download and use one of these unreleased builds, you do so at your own risk. We test each new build of the PMW app thoroughly and only then make them available on our website. This is to make sure you don’t experience undue frustration. If you happen to have one of these unreleased builds from JRiver, we strongly recommend that you uninstall it and install the latest PMW build from the PonoMusic.com website.

• Options
    PonoPlayer Not Detected by Operating System

Some users have experienced problems with their OS and/or PMW not detecting their player when it is plugged into the computer’s USB port. These are the most common causes of this problem:

Windows 7: Out-of-the-box Windows 7 does not support exFAT format which is used by the PonoPlayer. We recommend that you update your operating system to the latest service pack and also install any USB related updates provided by Microsoft.
    Done too soon: When you connect your PonoPlayer to your computer, the player asks you whether you would like to enter Music Transfer Mode. This mode turns your player into an external drive and allows your computer to interact with your player as a mass storage device. When asked if you’d like to “Load music?”, you must click Yes to do enter this mode. But DO NOT click Done until you’re finished transferring music or updating your player firmware. Otherwise, your player will not be detected by your operating system.
    Patience: If it’s the very first time you’re connecting you PonoPlayer to your computer, the OS will detect the player and may install the proper drivers to allow you to access it. This may take several seconds. Please be patient. If you remove your PonoPlayer too soon, the driver installation halts and you have to start the whole process all over again.
    Try again: External devices are sometimes not recognized properly by the OS. You may try unplugging and replugging your player to you computer should this happen.

Music Prices

We’ve heard from many of you about the pricing in the PonoMusic Store. Our policy is to provide the world’s best music at competitive prices. Thanks to your feedback, we realized that some of our prices were too high. We have recently performed a thorough competitive analysis and are happy to report that we have adjusted our pricing algorithms to provide very competitive pricing. In rare cases, the competition may have a temporary special on an album and may beat our price. But in the majority of cases our prices should be the same or cheaper than the competition. If you come across cases where this is not true, please inform us on the community and we will investigate and make any necessary adjustments.

Remember that the wholesale price (the floor) for all online music stores is established by the music labels. But we’ve made sure that on average our music prices are very competitive.

If you discover that an album you previously purchased is now offered at a lower price, please contact Pono support and request a refund for the difference. We will apply the difference as a credit to your charge card.

Pono Will Offer Only the Highest Resolution of an Album

We are aware that currently in some cases multiple resolutions of the same album are available in the store. We are working with our partner Omnifone to remove all lower resolution versions of any album and only make available the highest resolution. We will be rolling out this resolution filtering solution in the first week of December. This should result in only the highest resolution of any album appearing in the store, hiding the lower resolution versions altogether. Remember that for an album to be considered a lower resolution of another album, it has to be the exact same album released on the exact same day just at a lower resolution.

It will take us a week or two perfect the filtering mechanism. After December 15th, if you come across two products that are different resolutions of the same album please notify us and we will optimize our system to hide the lower resolution version.

Free Resolution Upgrades for PonoPlayer Backers

As a Kickstarter backer who pledged for a PonoPlayer, you get the benefit of a lifetime guarantee of free resolution upgrades for albums you purchase on the PonoMusic Store. This means that should a higher resolution version of an album that you have already purchased become available on our store, you will get a free copy of it. Remember, to qualify for a free upgrade the lower resolution version of the album you have already purchased must be no longer available on our store due to the filtering mechanism described above.

We are working on a solution to provide you these free resolution upgrades and anticipate having the system operational by January of 2015 at the latest. We will provide you further details on how these free upgrades will work then.

Failed or Partial Music Downloads

We realize that some of you have purchased albums that you’ve only been able to partially download. We have figured out the source of the problem and fixed the issue for all previous purchases. If you happen to have a partially fulfilled album, please launch PonoMusic World and from Tools menu select PonoMusic Account | Check for Downloads. This should result in your previously hung downloads to start over again.

Also, there are some albums (such as Moonflower by Carlos Santana and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis) where one or two tracks are mistakenly not available for purchase or download, even if you purchase the entire album. We are aware of this issue and believe it’s a problem with the metadata provided by the label. We are actively working on a fix for this, although it may take a couple of weeks. As soon as the fix is in place, your missing tracks should automatically download the next time you do a Check for Downloads.

Storytone Album on the Neil Young Limited Edition Series

When the Neil Young Limited Edition was announced originally, the included albums were going to be Harvest and A Letter Home. Neil decided to replace A Letter Home with his latest album Storytone, which has 8 more tracks and is, in fact, more expensive. Unfortunately, the original announcement resulted in some customers purchasing Storytone and ending up with two copies. If you are in this predicament please email support@ponomusic.com and provide a copy of your receipt for your Storytone purchase along with your shipping address and phone number. We will mail you a CD of A Letter Home within the next few weeks.

Wooden Ships Track on the CSN&Y Limited Edition Players

Unfortunately, this track is missing from the album CSN&Y 74 Live album that shipped with the players. We have already emailed those of you with this player a download link to obtain your missing track. If you haven’t received your email, please check your junk email first. Otherwise, please email support@ponomusic.com and we’ll arrange for you to get your missing track. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

Lastly, we are very excited to let you know that Pono will make its formal debut at CES in January at which time you will see a much greater exposure through a variety of media events, interviews, demos, and the official public availability of the PonoMusic Store.

Neil and the rest of the Pono team are very appreciative for all of your support and understanding as we experienced some unplanned delays and for patiently supporting us over these past several months. Your faith in us is rewarded with a player that provides a world-class Hi-Fi audio listening experience, previously affordable by a select few, along with one of the world’s finest catalogs of high-resolution music.

Thanks for your support!

The Pono Team
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rafie said:

rafie said:

Definitely leaning towards the sony mdr-v6, although it costs a bit more than I was looking to spend...

Can anyone tell me the dimensions and weight of the package (I mean the box that the pono player is stored in)?
    Rafie, you got Groupon by you? They have some beats by Dre for $79.99 on there now. Let me see if I can link it.
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,999
    I am a cardboard box pono country and still no delivery confirmation. Anyone else in same predicament?
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064

I am a cardboard box pono country and still no delivery confirmation. Anyone else in same predicament?

I have no idea what you just said, but I'm still waiting for my PJ Pono. I'm hoping they change the way the signatures look and it's more like what they showed as a preview some months ago.

Not a big fan of the new design.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,999
    edited November 2014
    Lol. What I meant was Australia customs won't allow bamboo boxes. So we are getting a fancy cardboard box pono. However still no confirmation on shipping
    Post edited by Release EV on
  • Options
    camaros said:
    Sweet deal. Now if only they had 1 or 2 TB Micro SDXC cards for sale. O:-)
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I just got a 128gb on ebay for $60 shipped. Does anyone know how to selectively store only on the microSD card instead of loading up the internal memory first.?
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    PP193448 said:

I just got a 128gb on ebay for $60 shipped. Does anyone know how to selectively store only on the microSD card instead of loading up the internal memory first.?

good question. anyone know?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    So back to the headphones conversation, I picked up some Seinheiser Momentum over ears since they were on sale this weekend at Amazon. The week prior I got the Sony MDR-V6 which are half the price. I'm now listening with both and I know it sounds crazy, but I may prefer the Sony. Everything just sounds more crisp, whereas the Momentums sound almost muffled in comparison. Am I crazy?
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,437
    lolobugg said:

PP193448 said:

Easy... Use file Explorer and put them on the SD
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So you don't go thru the Pono World app/program directly. Drop it on the micro SD card directly, then it will be recoginzed by the Pono after you plug it in?? K. Will try that. Thanks.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,437
    PP193448 said:

So you don't go thru the Pono World app/program directly. Drop it on the micro SD card directly, then it will be recoginzed by the Pono after you plug it in?? K. Will try that. Thanks.

Yes, correct. I don't use the Pono software. It's not ready for primetime.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    KV4053 said:

lolobugg said:

PP193448 said:

Easy... Use file Explorer and put them on the SD
    That's what I did.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    PP193448 said:

PMW shows two separate drives when it syncs with your Pono. The first should be the internal memory and the second should be the microSD card. Drag the songs, albums, playlists, etc to whichever one you want.

You might need to turn off autosync.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    FastrichieFastrichie Sandy Hook, CT Posts: 916
    Got my pono today here in Newtown, CT. #484. Came the same day I got my shipping notice. VS sounds awesome!
    04/06/94 Springfield, 04/17/94 NYC, 10/02/96 Hartford, 11/14/97 Oakland, 09/08/98 NJ, 09/10/98 MSG, 09/11/98 MSG, 09/13/98 Hartford, 08/24/00 Jones Beach, 08/25/00 Jones Beach 04/30/03 Uniondale, 07/08/03 MSG, 07/09/03 MSG, 09/28/04 Boston, 10/01/05 Borgata, 10/03/05 Philly, 05/13/06 Hartford 05/25/06 Boston, 06/01/06 NJ, 06/03/06 NJ, 08/05/07 Chicago, 06/24/08 MSG, 06/25/08 MSG, 06/27/08 Hartford, 06/30/08 Mansfield, 07/01/08 The Beacon, 08/21/09 Toronto, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 05/15/2010 Hartford, 05/17/2010 Boston, 05/20/2010 MSG, 05/21/2010 MSG, Montreal 09/07/2011, Philly 09/01/2012, Wrigley 07/19-20,2013, Worcester 10/16/13, Brooklyn 10/18, Brooklyn 10/19/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Ed Sullivan 09/23/2015, Central Park 09/26/2015 Philly 04/29/2016. MSG 05/01/2016, MSG 05/02/2016, Fenway 08/05/2016, Fenway 08/07/2016, Brooklyn 04/07/2017, Seattle 08/08/2018, Seattle 08/10/2018, Chicago 08/20/2018, Fenway 09/02/2018, Fenway 09/04/2018, Asbury Park 09/18/2021, Apollo Theater 09/10/2022, MSG 09/11/2022, Camden 09/14/2022

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 693

Got my pono today here in Newtown, CT. #484. Came the same day I got my shipping notice. VS sounds awesome!

Awesome news! According to their address verification page mine is still waiting to be manufactured!
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,833
    Rec'd an email yesterday from Pono saying mine shipped :bz
    Tracking info last had it in NJ early yesterday morning.