Options

The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Treyert14 said:

BinFrog said:

Treyert14 said:

Who Dosnt like Rush?! That makes zero sense!

MANY people do not like Rush. I encounter it all the time.
    I'm not saying you don't. But idk I have never encountered it. I don't really see how anybody could not like rush. Lol
    I've listened and have tried to like them, but I just can't do it. I don't hate them and there are a few songs that I do enjoy to hear occasionally, but I do not have one song from them in my collection. Lots of respect for them and what they have accomplished over the years, they just don’t do it for me.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    It's pretty simple RUSH is just not for everybody. I do however see a trend with the band's fan base and that is it seems many are sort of geeky.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    g under p said:

It's pretty simple RUSH is just not for everybody. I do however see a trend with the band's fan base and that is it seems many are sort of geeky.

Peace

If you'll excuse me, I have some database maintenance to attend to.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

g under p said:

Peace

If you'll excuse me, I have some database maintenance to attend to.
    Lol, I know in my case it certainly got passed down to my daughter.....she IS the symbol....star of
    Geekhood. A sure sign Einstein is her hero...she'll need it studying aerospace & environmental engineering @ U of MD.

peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok, ok ok....since I'm laid up recovering from ankle surgery for the next 3 months its now or never to attempt something like this of which I dislike doing.....here goes nothing my top 25 RUSH songs.

1...Red Sector A....oddly when this song was played during my first RUSH concert there was hardly much crowd reaction to this and the other new songs. Over time the songs power has grown on me to no end after visiting The Holocaust Museum in DC along with working with many survivors...then hearing their incredible stories of survival.
    2...The Camera Eye.....these two I'll flip back and forth since forever. The time signatures and pace are just awesome in this 10 minute workout.
    3...La Villa STRANGIATO....especially the live version
    4...The Spirit Of Radio....the lyrics are just awesome in that world of music then and now.
    5...2112.....a masterpiece
    6...Xanadu....this one takes me back to where I started with band and gives me a natural high.
    7...Earthshine...love this little rocker or just my fascination with the moon.
    8...The Fountain of Lamneth
    9...Tom Sawyer....an exercise on how Neil will show off his skills on the skins.
    10..Ceiling Unlimited...just a beauty of a song

11..The Garden
    12..Time Stand Still
    13..Leave That Thing Alone
    14..Working Man
    15..The Weapon
    16..Freewill
    17..Between The Wheels
    18..Fly By Night
    19..The Enemy Within
    20..Limelight

21..A Passage To Bangkok
    22...Headlong Flight
    23..Driven
    24..Natural Science
    25..Distant Early Warning

Done!

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    Your #2 is my #1
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

Your #2 is my #1

Hmmmm so interesting like I said I can go back and forth with those two great songs. TCE is the main reason I listen to MP as often as I do.

Peace

• Options
    You don't have chemistry on your list. So, therefore, you need to make some revisions and resubmit... resident 10C Rush advocate.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Conform or be cast out.
  • Options

You don't have chemistry on your list. So, therefore, you need to make some revisions and resubmit... resident 10C Rush advocate.

......and I don't ave The Twilight Zone on there from 2112. Also I did revise my list I think twice and if you think it's that's easy let me see your list.....come on.

Like TBU said....conform or be cast out. Loved that line. :\">

:)>- Peace

• Options
    g under p said:

......and I don't ave The Twilight Zone on there from 2112. Also I did revise my list I think twice and if you think it's that's easy let me see your list.....come on.

Like TBU said....conform or be cast out. Loved that line. :\">

:)>- Peace
    :))

Okay, fair enough.

Honestly though, Chemistry is one of my favourites from this band- who I have seen live multiple times in four different decades.

Closer to the Heart is another glaring omission that makes your list a different list than what mine would be (not better or worse... just saying). I realize its one of their more often played tunes, but there's a reason for this.

Regardless of small differences between tastes... I enjoy talking about bands in such a way- I typically end up blasting the tunes I spoke of.
  • Options
    wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    LOVE RUSH! Geddy Lee is my hero. Always will be. It's also his birthday today, so happy birthday Geddy Lee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58lfziwZGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl0zwntfz6E
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    wall05 said:

LOVE RUSH! Geddy Lee is my hero. Always will be. It's also his birthday today, so happy birthday Geddy Lee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58lfziwZGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl0zwntfz6E

That's awesome, oh yes Happy Happy belated Birthday Geddy. I got busy yesterday doing yoga on one leg (the other is in a cast for the next 2-3 months) and going to see my musician friend Michael Franti play in Boca Raton.

Peace

• Options
    Nice playing man!!
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

Nice playing man!!

Agreed!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Ok since I did the 25 greatest RUSH songs I might as well get the best RUSH album out of the way. I have included live albums up until
    Different Stages.....here goes.

Grace Under Pressure
    Permanent Waves
    Vapor Trails
    Exit Stage Left
    Moving Pictures....due to the song The Camera Eye
    Clockwork Angels
    Hemispheres
    Hold Your Fire
    All The Worlds Stage
    A Farewell To Kings
    Caress Of Steel
    Signals
    Different Stages
    RUSH
    Presto
    Power Windows
    Counterparts
    Fly By Night
    Roll The Bones
    Feedback
    Snakes & Arrows
    A Show Of Hands
    Test For Echo

I hope I didn't leave out any of RUSHs great work throughout the years.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    ^^^^^^ g under p has too much time on his hands :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_x_vrSZBM
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    G under P, you have Power Windows in the bottom third of your album list. This will not do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOHbxBAEN8
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    i awoke to Rush' performance on the RnR Hall of Fame show last year and it was from that moment on that a band that had been in the background of my musical world jumped to the front. last summer i began immersing myself in their albums. the period after Signals to Roll The Bones i don't quite get (as was mentioned in Beyond The Lighted Stage), but i still appreciate. i love everything else, though. their recent material is just as strong as their earlier output. The musicianship & Neil's words..wow...although i'm extremely late, i'm glad i got to the party
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    imalive said:

^^^^^^ g under p has too much time on his hands :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_x_vrSZBM

I show this video to everyone. What a cool kid.

I love around the 3 minute mark when he's smiling at pops (who's filming him) and really digging things.
  • Options

G under P, you have Power Windows in the bottom third of your album list. This will not do.

I love PoW, but it would probably be in my bottom 3rd as well.
  • Options

i awoke to Rush' performance on the RnR Hall of Fame show last year and it was from that moment on that a band that had been in the background of my musical world jumped to the front. last summer i began immersing myself in their albums. the period after Signals to Roll The Bones i don't quite get (as was mentioned in Beyond The Lighted Stage), but i still appreciate. i love everything else, though. their recent material is just as strong as their earlier output. The musicianship & Neil's words..wow...although i'm extremely late, i'm glad i got to the party

Better late than never. Welcome to the club.
  • Options
    Well seeing as we are discussing Grace's list... for my tastes... Signals is too low.

Top 5 for me (in order):

1a. 2112
    1b. Moving Pictures
    3. Rush
    4. Signals
    5. A Farewell to Kings
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOHbxBAEN8

Man, the very same thing was said to me on the RUSH site and where AFTK stood. All I have to say is....For whatever reasons Power Windows just did not click with me. I didn't even think that tour was all that great maybe it was the venue in Richmond VA. However, after the GUP tour the PW tour paled in comparison and AFTK is posted right I feel it should be and that high due to the song Xanadu.

Peace

• Options
    I would have hoped that Mystic Rhythms and Territories alone would have propelled it into the top half, but I respect your opinion and enthusiasm. It's odd to me that you appreciate the albums that bracketed Power Windows so highly, though they each have their own vibe and theme.

Did the setlist from the Clockwork Angels tour make you reconsider or rediscover any Power Windows songs? It was bizarre to see them playing something like Grand Designs on a nightly basis.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    In my rankings, G/P would be much higher than PoW, but PoW would edge out HYF.

I love most of HYF...but High Water and Tai Shan should have been shelved in favor of...recordings of howler monkeys in heat next to a meat grinder.
  • Options
    i'm not sure what they were thinking with Tai Shan. It's brutal. Have they ever commented on it or expressed any regret?
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Go to about 5:30
    http://youtu.be/oBZY_loemUw
  • Options
    That is hilarious. Great find.
    - C. Klosterman