*** Amsterdam 1 Fanviews Here 6/16/14 ***

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I think it's a really solid setlist. Just excited that they're still touring, to be honest.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Good solid opening night setlist for me. The Binaural songs, Who You Are and Footsteps take it a step higher and if you can't appreciate the fact that the setlist is made up with PJ's bread and butter songs then you probably should stop taking an interest in them. I expect they'll push the boat out a little more tomorrow night and put the icing on the cake for those attending both nights.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Veddertown said it best: solid show with some great highlights. If you don't like the bread and butter numbers...tough. See you tomorrow, and don't be late!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Good solid opening night setlist for me. The Binaural songs, Who You Are and Footsteps take it a step higher and if you can't appreciate the fact that the setlist is made up with PJ's bread and butter songs then you probably should stop taking an interest in them. I expect they'll push the boat out a little more tomorrow night and put the icing on the cake for those attending both nights.

Well, veddertown, your metaphors suggest you have the munchies, so I guess we know what you've been doing in Amsterdam.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Posting mobile so it will be quick notes.

Came from San Francisco and had 3rd row Stone's side. Ed may have been slowed down by a noticable limp (he was in some obvious pain all night) but the band sounded great.

Crowd was really tame until Jeremy ... after that the floor let loose, notably during RVM.

Light Years was probably the best version I have ever heard them do ... which leads me to this .. the sound in the Ziggo Dome is *fantastic* ... just wow.

Saw Thin Air in Oakland last year and so glad I got to hear it again ... just a great song.

Got a chuckle out of Wishlist as Ed changed "Camaro's hood" to "bicycle's hood" ... if you've never been here, the bike culture is crazy ... I've nearly been clipped at least 5 times by bikes because you can't tell the bike lanes from the sidewalks ... and everyone is on a bike. EVERYONE.

Ed mentioned all the bridges in Amsterdam and said Evacuation was dedicated to that as it's a song with 3 bridges.

Was stoked to get Sonic Reducer .... it's been 20 years and 35+ shows since I've heard that.

Lot of fun, the people here (and from all around Europe) are fantastic, love seeing how much passion they have (tip of the cap to the Italians on the rail by Stone) ... So, great show even while dealing with Ed's handicap ... see y'all tomorrow.

"You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    KC138045 said:

nicknyr15 said:

jonsey30 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Amazing how they play Who You Are and the setlist is called typical. Lol. That song alone makes it not typical at all let alone all the other rarities.

I have to agree with KC. Out of the entire first set, I only see 3 non-typical songs, Breakerfall, Who You Are, and Evacuation. Then Footsteps and thin air. So 5 out of 32 weren't played the hell out of during last years tour?
    I completely disagree. 152 songs played last year. What else do u want?? I don't understand.
    Light years?
    Supersonic?
    Sonic reducer?
    Sleeping by Myself?
    All played to death last year? Def not.

I'm guessing u won't be happy till there's a set filled with terrible songs like sweet lew and bugs so u can scratch them off your "list". Sorry fir being a little gruff I just get frustrated with the setlist complaining.

Not complaining just stating opinions. First show of the tour and everyone is losing their minds over this set. Again I would of loved to be there. No PJ show is bad. Next week this set list will be almost forgotten and everyone will be talking up the next "epic" show.
    I hear ya.

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789
    Greatest setlist ever
    Epic!
    Epic I say!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    KC138045 said:

Pretty typical set list. Sure it was still a great time.

Nope several songs that are not played often
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260

Well, veddertown, your metaphors suggest you have the munchies, so I guess we know what you've been doing in Amsterdam.

Well, it just happens I was sweating my ass off at work in a hot kitchen here in Scotland while some of my friends enjoyed watching this show. Unfortunately I will only make Leeds this year (hopefully) so will reserve some metaphors for after that. No munchies for me though. Clean lifestyle for me now in my wiser years. Funny to think there were first timers at this show who already have heard twice as many Binaural songs as I have in six shows. Hope you Amsterdammers enjoy tomorrow and if you read this a big slightly belated happy birthday to Dottles. What a way to enjoy your day and congrats to Rob who met Mike earlier too.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    edited June 2014
    nicknyr15 said:

jonsey30 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Amazing how they play Who You Are and the setlist is called typical. Lol. That song alone makes it not typical at all let alone all the other rarities.

I have to agree with KC. Out of the entire first set, I only see 3 non-typical songs, Breakerfall, Who You Are, and Evacuation. Then Footsteps and thin air. So 5 out of 32 weren't played the hell out of during last years tour?
    I completely disagree. 152 songs played last year. What else do u want?? I don't understand.
    Light years?
    Supersonic?
    Sonic reducer?
    Sleeping by Myself?

I'm guessing u won't be happy till there's a set filled with terrible songs like sweet lew and bugs so u can scratch them off your "list". Sorry fir being a little gruff I just get frustrated with the setlist complaining.

I get it, I am not complaining. I would love to see this setlist any day of the week. I already crossed Bugs off my list at Wrigley, so no that ain't it. I just want to hear good songs, but not the same songs I've seen. I went to 3 shows last year, the only three I've seen, and heard a lot of the same songs at all 3. I know it's a tour in support of an album, so obviously I'm going to hear Lightnight Bolt and Sirens, but bring out Oceans more, bring out Chloe/Crown, bring out Nothing As it Seems, Footsteps, Who You Are (I know, the last two were played at this show), Inside Job, You Are, Last Exit, Immortality, Deep, Garden, Blood, etc. Some songs I want to see at every show, Black, Release, RVM, Indifference, Present Tense, Daughter, Betterman. Songs like Sonic Reducer, Supersonic, Sleeping By Myself, All Night, Leatherman, I can do without.
    Post edited by jonsey30 on
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• GeoScottGeoScott South Carolina Posts: 151
    Admit it;
    Some of you, like myself, are already thinking about when the first audience recording of this show will be posted :)
  • Read elsewhere that Ed's voice was a but off all night - this not true?
  • *bit off
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    What happened halfway through Jeremy? Was someone thrown out of the pit or were they pulled out for safety?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Well, it just happens I was sweating my ass off at work in a hot kitchen here in Scotland while some of my friends enjoyed watching this show. Unfortunately I will only make Leeds this year (hopefully) so will reserve some metaphors for after that. No munchies for me though. Clean lifestyle for me now in my wiser years. Funny to think there were first timers at this show who already have heard twice as many Binaural songs as I have in six shows. Hope you Amsterdammers enjoy tomorrow and if you read this a big slightly belated happy birthday to Dottles. What a way to enjoy your day and congrats to Rob who met Mike earlier too.
    Whoops, sorry, guess I misunderstood the "for me" part of your quote. Enjoy Leeds in whatever frame of mind you choose.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    GeoScott said:

Admit it;
    Some of you, like myself, are already thinking about when the first audience recording of this show will be posted :)

they're already up.

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    What is up with Ed's leg?
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • GeoScottGeoScott South Carolina Posts: 151
    njnancy said:

GeoScott said:

Admit it;

they're already up.

Youtube?
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

Jeremy was just epic....…: http://youtu.be/jRhEDYEyHx4

same as RVM..the crowd made it unreall experience with the claping

and just one more word

B I N A U R A L

Thank you so much for sharing that video, I don't get to see them this round so I have to live vicariously through all of you who do!!! :-)
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited June 2014
    GeoScott said:

njnancy said:

GeoScott said:

Admit it;

they're already up.

Youtube?
    The one above is the best - there's a partial porch, partial evenflow and opening/partial pendulum.

Post edited by njnancy on
  • TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 276
    edited June 2014
    Fuck sake, forgot my poster at the hotel hence a mad dash back from schipol!!! Got it now. 45 mins to make it! :D
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    jonsey30 said:

nicknyr15 said:

jonsey30 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Light years?
    Supersonic?
    Sonic reducer?
    Sleeping by Myself?

I get it, I am not complaining. I would love to see this setlist any day of the week. I already crossed Bugs off my list at Wrigley, so no that ain't it. I just want to hear good songs, but not the same songs I've seen. I went to 3 shows last year, the only three I've seen, and heard a lot of the same songs at all 3. I know it's a tour in support of an album, so obviously I'm going to hear Lightnight Bolt and Sirens, but bring out Oceans more, bring out Chloe/Crown, bring out Nothing As it Seems, Footsteps, Who You Are (I know, the last two were played at this show), Inside Job, You Are, Last Exit, Immortality, Deep, Garden, Blood, etc. Some songs I want to see at every show, Black, Release, RVM, Indifference, Present Tense, Daughter, Betterman. Songs like Sonic Reducer, Supersonic, Sleeping By Myself, All Night, Leatherman, I can do without.

So to be clear you'd rather they played what is effectively a cover than something from the pj catalogue?

I seen some serious negativity on last nights show ... And I'm incredibly baffled by it all.

Wasnt at the show but had a lot of pals there who had an amazing time ... People who've seen their fair share of shows too. Yet from afar in all the excitement I'm reading certain nonsense on Facebook from people critiquing the show from their sofas. Unreal. The setlist looked pretty solid to me so to base a negative comment on that is just a little odd
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    Great start to the tour - can't understand all the downer comments! Lets see what tonight brings!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • SannySanny Posts: 21
    So people go to a heck of a lot of shows and start complaining about hearing some songs again and again.
    Of course they'll play some songs more often than others. These are popular songs, they probably still enjoy playing them (am sure I saw them having a good time up there yesterday) and not everybody attends 3 shows per year or more. And these fans love to hear these songs live.
    If you attended three shows from any other band, you would hear the exact same setlist thrice.

Get real, please.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited June 2014
    1. Thank you Pearl Jam/10C for the amazing seats. The line to pick up 10c or other tix was super-long and poorly labeled though. It would have been nice to have a line for 10c pickup only.

2. The setlist was great. Not my favorite songs but they kept us guessing, which is the fun part for me. But Ed screwed up more lyrics than usual, probably due in part to it being the first and and in part because...

3. Ed's knee is jacked. He could barely move by the end of the main set. You could see he wanted to do his thing during Porch but couldn't. At the end of Jeremy he was hopping on his good leg only. I'm hoping they play more of a sit-down set tonight.

4. Jeff has a couple of new bass guitars, a silver and one with the Don Pendleton Brooklyn design.

5. Stone's long hair is gone.

6. Mike was on fire, but that's not news.

PS: for a lifelong Bears fan, the Sweetness jersey was sweet to see finally on stage. Only seen it in pics before.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • SannySanny Posts: 21
    As for Amsterdam 1 itself:
    Yes, it all was a bit shaky at the start (especially Ed's voice), but they came out of it in a spectacular way. I loved Evacuation, Jeremy and RVM were great. I really liked hearing Sleeping by myself live though I'm not a great fan of the song.
    The encores (and especially the second) were awesome!

Though knackered from queueing, I was at a great PJ-show last night :)