TIME TO MOW THE LAWN

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    g under p said:

g under p said:

I mow 4 acres year round, just started twice a week. What I do without our Hustler commercial mower.

Peace

wow 4 acres....how long does that take you?
    When I rush 45 minutes, when I take my time to get perfection 1 hour and 15 minutes to mow. that mower is a speed demon. The edging with the trimmer takes forever because there's so much to do then i have to blow off the driveway which is around 450 feet. Total it takes 3-5 hours depending on how neat and pretty I want it to look. All the lots here are 5 acres or more with this community is ALL for horses. That's South Florida Palm Beach County.

Peace
    so you got one of these?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah I grew up with 3 acres and it wasnt that it was such a big lawn it was the variety of hills and other spots where you needed to use the push mower and then the easy part where you could use the rider....but I didnt have a crazy thing like that ^^^
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

g under p said:

g under p said:

I mow 4 acres year round, just started twice a week. What I do without our Hustler commercial mower.

Peace

When I rush 45 minutes, when I take my time to get perfection 1 hour and 15 minutes to mow. that mower is a speed demon. The edging with the trimmer takes forever because there's so much to do then i have to blow off the driveway which is around 450 feet. Total it takes 3-5 hours depending on how neat and pretty I want it to look. All the lots here are 5 acres or more with this community is ALL for horses. That's South Florida Palm Beach County.

Peace
    so you got one of these?

Yup, looks almost exactly like that with an imprint of 48inches on the sides and back just newer looking than that one.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

g under p said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    so you got one of these?

Yup, looks almost exactly like that with an imprint of 48inches on the sides and back just newer looking than that one.

Peace
    does it have a hemi?
    chinese-happy.jpg

g under p said:

g under p said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    so you got one of these?

Peace
    does it have a hemi?
    I don't know where they now have those smiley emoticons, if I knew where I'd certainly place one here.

LOL that's the best I can do

Oh twice twice last year I fell into our lake with the mower, that's why I never wear the seat belt. If That thing turns over and if you're trapped under it, well cancel Christmas. I should take a picture just to show How good I'm at lawn care....it looks real good and green from fertilizing for the first time in two years.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

okay....so i want for the diamond look yesterday and the results were...mixed. don't get me wrong. the lawn looks awesome, its just you can't see the lines quite as well as i would have hoped.

did some research and found the solution to my dilemma:
    image a roller!

this is what really bends the blades and gives you that checkerboard looking yard--

ill be picking one of them up this week.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Well that looks swell but my wife is lucky if I even cut the grass.

Wind this thing up.

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2014
    get a fucking herd of goats, sheep, elephants, bees & geese. your yard will be wonderful. checkers.... yes you should play a yard board checkers game when you get your yard ironed out.

red & black checker pieces. what will you & your g/f use as pieces? sticks painted up, forks, spoons, pans, pots, tires, pens, light bulbs painted red, rulers, dishes, keys or vinyl albums because they're already black or red
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2014
    oysterjar said:

for hire, dude

http://www.bikinilawn.com/images/frontpic.jpgimage

hell you could hire her for her services of standing there or walking around with her little mower

http://www.bikinilawn.com/april242005/images/DSC06022.jpgimage
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

oysterjar said:

for hire, dude

hell you could hire her for her services of standing there or walking around with her little mower
    I forgot all about that. I need her services number.

I enjoy mowing purely for being outside and maintaining my place but I can't bring myself to design my lawn. I will let the chickens roam free soon and hopefully that will keep the cutting to a minimum. I use an old fashioned reel mower on our smaller yard and my wife hates it. I think its because she cant muscle it, regardless, she wants to get a gas job.

Not a fucking chance.

Wind this thing up.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Had to mow an acre+ at my house growing up with a push mower and had to mow over 2 acres at our cottage at the 1,000 islands. Luckily that was a rider.

Oh and my first summer job was for the parks department mowing. If I never mow again, I will be a happy man.

Now shoveling and snow blowing, I dont mind.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    chadwick said:

get a fucking herd of goats, sheep, elephants, bees & geese. your yard will be wonderful. checkers.... yes you should play a yard board checkers game when you get your yard ironed out.

red & black checker pieces. what will you & your g/f use as pieces? sticks painted up, forks, spoons, pans, pots, tires, pens, light bulbs painted red, rulers, dishes, keys or vinyl albums because they're already black or red

Did my mowing yesterday after the guys finished on Friday; yard looks very nice!

LOL, play chess out there like in History of the World Part 1. ("piss Boy!")

• madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    My wife usually mows, and we're expecting a baby in August......guess it'll be one hell of a hot summer for her while she keeps mowing.....
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

chadwick said:

Did my mowing yesterday after the guys finished on Friday; yard looks very nice!

LOL, play chess out there like in History of the World Part 1. ("piss Boy!")

Hump or Death?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

My wife usually mows, and we're expecting a baby in August......guess it'll be one hell of a hot summer for her while she keeps mowing.....

=))

Wind this thing up.

oysterjar said:

=))
    Yeah after I mowed the lawn and did the trim on Sunday I came in and had time for a nice cold beer. Then I had to break out the vacuum, mop and dustrag and I cleaned the house for the next 4 hours. Baby time is in June so I cant have her doing this crap now...but it was not the glorious day it should have been! :)
    fmitb-----so it appears i am the only dope on my block who didn't pay for the landscaping service you described earlier. the wife and i were out there mulching all day yesterday, while every other house had a crew of people trimming and mulching for them. felt like a schmuck. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg

fmitb-----so it appears i am the only dope on my block who didn't pay for the landscaping service you described earlier. the wife and i were out there mulching all day yesterday, while every other house had a crew of people trimming and mulching for them. felt like a schmuck. haha

Mine ended up costing $1093 and not $1300 but I thought of your questions about the cost while I watched the guys work. Ended up taking 2 guys a day and a half and a 3rd guy joined them for a half a day.

I am the only guy who mows his lawn himself on our circle, the others have the landscapers do it. I dont feel badly about it at all -- quite the opposite. I could afford to pay someone to do it ($45 per week) but I just turned 40 and need to encourage all of the activity I can as we welcome our first baby next month. Dont want to be 50 and have age smack me in the balls and be unable to play catch with my 10 year old or race him on laps in the pool, etc. More activity is better.

(If I knew how to do all of the bush/plant/tree maintenance I might have dodged the $1093 as well.)

I know you recently moved into this house -- have you paid anyone to do the trees yet? We have been in for a year and a bit and our trees need some trimming back. (The big trees) One if up against the house that I want to take a bunch of limbs off too. I know better than to do this myself but the cost quotes for this have been absolutely ridiculous. Have you looked into this at your new place?
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    oysterjar said:

=))
    She mowed yesterday....let's see how long this lasts...
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23

oysterjar said:

=))
    She mowed yesterday....let's see how long this lasts...
    That's awesome. I don't mind doing the mowing but if my wife volunteered that would be one less thing for me to do, so it would be welcomed. Keep me updated on your end.

Wind this thing up.

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    We need to think about lawn mowing soon as well. We have about half an acre, so it's not that much, but the grass finally starts growing here. We're thinking of hiring somebody to do it this year because we are so busy with fixing up the house itself to make it move in ready. I would have loved to have a goat :D But a law was changed here recently and now it is not allowed to have farm animals in residential areas (even rural, there's a detailed description where it is allowed) any more, so I guess that will have to remain a dream. I hope some pupil is keen on earning a tiny bit of a buck mowing our greens.

Mine ended up costing $1093 and not $1300 but I thought of your questions about the cost while I watched the guys work. Ended up taking 2 guys a day and a half and a 3rd guy joined them for a half a day.

I am the only guy who mows his lawn himself on our circle, the others have the landscapers do it. I dont feel badly about it at all -- quite the opposite. I could afford to pay someone to do it ($45 per week) but I just turned 40 and need to encourage all of the activity I can as we welcome our first baby next month. Dont want to be 50 and have age smack me in the balls and be unable to play catch with my 10 year old or race him on laps in the pool, etc. More activity is better.

(If I knew how to do all of the bush/plant/tree maintenance I might have dodged the $1093 as well.)

I know you recently moved into this house -- have you paid anyone to do the trees yet? We have been in for a year and a bit and our trees need some trimming back. (The big trees) One if up against the house that I want to take a bunch of limbs off too. I know better than to do this myself but the cost quotes for this have been absolutely ridiculous. Have you looked into this at your new place?
    well our trees are not that overgrown really. and i did the bushes myself. that wasn't that bad. i just cut them back a little bit. they seem okay. so i'd bet my price would have been a bit less than 1k then. my neighbor just had them mulch, trim a little, and suck up all the extra leaves that were still laying around. probably worth it, just in the effort of saving time. i still have the back yard to do. haha

but i do like doing it, though. just feels strange to be the only person out there doing it by myself while everyone else hired people.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    this fucker arrived the other day. going to test it out this weekend. hey oh
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

I'm waiting with baited breath.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

thank you. what kind of design are you hoping i make?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Everybody still gots all their fingers and toes from doing all that lawn mowing weed whacking?

Peace
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Everybody still gots all their fingers and toes from doing all that lawn mowing weed whacking?

Peace

Actually, not quite. Lost a bit of bone in one finger and the tip of another in a mower once.

:-t
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Last time I mowed finished up and decided to walk down and get the mail. So while standing there reading through the mail I had no idea I was standing in a huge red ants nest. So suckers bit and and bit me to no end. Man it looked like I was doing the funky chicken . Ran to our canal jumped in feet first just get some relief. Then popped open a couple aloe Vera stems to ease the stings.

Later I got around 15 bumps all over my ankles, lesson learned look down when retrieving the mail.

Peace

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

imalive said:

thank you. what kind of design are you hoping i make?
    maybe something like this?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14