The Beatles

Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
I noticed there is not a Beatles thread?? What's up with that?!

Well here it is! Post your favorite videos and anything Beatles!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I did a search a found several threads about the Bealtes but as far as I can tell, no "The Beatles" thread. So, well done Treyert 14!

I remember when the Beatles first played on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was an amazing moment. The whole family watched!

http://netfoxnews.com/ed-sullivan-beatles-first-appearance-1964/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    brianlux said:

I did a search a found several threads about the Bealtes but as far as I can tell, no "The Beatles" thread. So, well done Treyert 14!

I remember when the Beatles first played on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was an amazing moment. The whole family watched!

http://netfoxnews.com/ed-sullivan-beatles-first-appearance-1964/

Really? I havnt seen any out of all the browsing I do. Is there a way to actually search topics? Like a URL bar or Somthing?
    Treyert14 said:

Really? I havnt seen any out of all the browsing I do. Is there a way to actually search topics? Like a URL bar or Somthing?

I'm using the Greasemonky/Legacy Forum Style script and there is a box toward the top labeled "search" where I typed in "Beatles" and hit search which is how I found the other Beatles threads. Without the script though, I'm not sure how to search. But no worries- this is the only one I found dedicated to The Beatles in a general sense. :-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Well awesome! Lol so you said you remember watching the Beatles when they aired on the Ed Sullivan show? Care to ellaborate? :D
    So what's everybody's oppinion on Ringo Starr?? Great drummer? Or not so much?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    There are many bands beloved to me, but none moreso than the Beatles. Their music reminds me of Mozart's in a way - simplicity layered with complexity (and vice versa). Such a part of me and a staple of my musical diet.

As to Ringo - I ADORE HIM. Not a great drummer to my amateur ears, but he's so damned lovable and happy-go-lucky...reminds me of a goofy Labrador.

Love his voice too.
    Treyert14 said:

Well awesome! Lol so you said you remember watching the Beatles when they aired on the Ed Sullivan show? Care to ellaborate? :D

Oh yeah, it was great! My brother and sister and my folks and I watched The Ed Sullivan every week- hardly ever missed a single one. My sister had heard about the Beatles and heard a few songs on the radio and was an instant fan and got me interested. So when we heard they were going to be on Sullivan's show we were glued to the TV. My folks were a bit confused by the whole thing but the boys were cute and the music fairly harmless (though certainly no Glen Miller!). It was probably all the hysterical screaming by the girls in the audience that blew them away a bit. But later when the Stones were on Sullivan I think they were a bit less amused. Those bad boys were just a little too edgy for my G.I. generation parents. But not me, I was mesmerized by the Stones! They paved my road to ruin. :)) Or I should say, the road to my love of rock and roll. The early Beatles were cute, fun and cool and I loved the music, but the Stones set the bar higher for me.

I agree hedonist, Ringo was definitely not the greatest drummer ever but he was a perfect fit for the Beatles. To me he was like the comic relief. And he was the smile and happiness to the Beatles :D
    edited April 2014
    brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

Oh yeah, it was great! My brother and sister and my folks and I watched The Ed Sullivan every week- hardly ever missed a single one. My sister had heard about the Beatles and heard a few songs on the radio and was an instant fan and got me interested. So when we heard they were going to be on Sullivan's show we were glued to the TV. My folks were a bit confused by the whole thing but the boys were cute and the music fairly harmless (though certainly no Glen Miller!). It was probably all the hysterical screaming by the girls in the audience that blew them away a bit. But later when the Stones were on Sullivan I think they were a bit less amused. Those bad boys were just a little too edgy for my G.I. generation parents. But not me, I was mesmerized by the Stones! They paved my road to ruin. :)) Or I should say, the road to my love of rock and roll. The early Beatles were cute, fun and cool and I loved the music, but the Stones set the bar higher for me.

That's awesome thank you for sharing! Sadly I didn't live in that time period I missed out man.. But you really prefer the stones over the Beatles? What did you think of the later years of the Beatles? Like Abbey Road and the White Album? Not so cute and harmless? Lol
    Post edited by Treyert14 on
    Treyert14 said:

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

That's awesome thank you for sharing! Sadly I didn't live in that time period I missed out man.. But you really prefer the stones over the Beatles? What did you think of the later years of the Beatles? Like Abbey Road and the White Album? Not so cute and harmless? Lol
    Oh gosh- it's just an age thing. My advise is to always keep a younger musical crowd in your company and you and your musical interests will never grow old and stale. (I think my peers refer to that quality in me as a bit of immaturity- but that's fine by me. :-) )

I don't really prefer one Beatles period over the other. When Abbey Road came out my friends and I mouthed off about how "Ringo finally learned to play drums" and "George and John finally have a good guitar sound". But that was late sixties and big guitar sound was the hottest thing. Looking back, the earlier Beatles stuff is amazing too- the arrangements, the use of minor and diminished chords, the harmonies- beautiful stuff. It's all great.

Actually, I try not to state one preference over the other because to me they are two completely different genres of music. The Beatles are the ultimate pop band with a strong emphasis on melody and harmony whereas the Stones are solidly blues based with a rougher texture and more grit. Over all the years I'm sure I've listened to the Stones more often than the Beatles but in terms of greatness I would hesitate to put one over the other. I think they stand side-by-side in terms of great British invasion pioneers.

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

Oh gosh- it's just an age thing. My advise is to always keep a younger musical crowd in your company and you and your musical interests will never grow old and stale. (I think my peers refer to that quality in me as a bit of immaturity- but that's fine by me. :-) )

I don't really prefer one Beatles period over the other. When Abbey Road came out my friends and I mouthed off about how "Ringo finally learned to play drums" and "George and John finally have a good guitar sound". But that was late sixties and big guitar sound was the hottest thing. Looking back, the earlier Beatles stuff is amazing too- the arrangements, the use of minor and diminished chords, the harmonies- beautiful stuff. It's all great.

Actually, I try not to state one preference over the other because to me they are two completely different genres of music. The Beatles are the ultimate pop band with a strong emphasis on melody and harmony whereas the Stones are solidly blues based with a rougher texture and more grit. Over all the years I'm sure I've listened to the Stones more often than the Beatles but in terms of greatness I would hesitate to put one over the other. I think they stand side-by-side in terms of great British invasion pioneers.

I definitely agree. And I have a real problem with excepting newer music lol but I see what your saying when my older brother used to live with me all he listened to was new music and the more I listened to it with him the more I began to except it and actually come to love it. But after he moved out I held on to those new bands an my old bands and I don't really explore new territory anymore. So I definitely see what your saying.
    And what's everybody's oppinion on the Paul is dead theory?? :P
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Treyert14 said:

So what's everybody's oppinion on Ringo Starr?? Great drummer? Or not so much?

Perfect fit as a Beatles drummer.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Treyert14 said:

? ti saw ro ...xoah a lla saw tI

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

Idk man. Lol I think it's interesting though. That kind of stuff intrigues me. Stuff like conspiracy and illuminate theory's :P
    Treyert14 said:

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

Idk man. Lol I think it's interesting though. That kind of stuff intrigues me. Stuff like conspiracy and illuminate theory's :P
    Definitely! It had a lot of people scratching their heads for a good while. I always wondered just who it was that orchestrated that whole theory.

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

brianlux said:

Treyert14 said:

Definitely! It had a lot of people scratching their heads for a good while. I always wondered just who it was that orchestrated that whole theory.

I guess we will never know...
    So Treyert14, where are the other Beatles fans? You, me, BinFrog, hedonist- THAT'S IT?? Surely not!

edited April 2014
    For my first solo gig in a couple of weeks I am learning/playing 2 Beatles songs (1 per set): Come Together and Nowhere Man.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    brianlux said:

So Treyert14, where are the other Beatles fans? You, me, BinFrog, hedonist- THAT'S IT?? Surely not!

Idk man. But I sure thought this thread would be thriving more than this. Lol
    BinFrog said:

For my first solo gig in a couple of weeks I am learning/playing 2 Beatles song per set: Come Together and Nowhere Man.

That's awesome! You play acoustic shows?
    I do. I've been in an acoustic duo since 2005 but just decided to strike out on my own. I'm still in the band, but since we both moved away from the condo complex we lived in, all we really do these days is play maybe 7-8 shows a year. I wanted to play more, so I'm giving the solo thing a shot.
    BinFrog said:

I do. I've been in an acoustic duo since 2005 but just decided to strike out on my own. I'm still in the band, but since we both moved away from the condo complex we lived in, all we really do these days is play maybe 7-8 shows a year. I wanted to play more, so I'm giving the solo thing a shot.

That's really cool. I have actually been wanting to do Somthing like that. What's some songs you play?
    My approach is to have a mix of songs everyone knows with either obscure songs or lesser known songs from bands everyone knows.

Some tunes in my list:

Tom Petty - American Girl
    The Clash - London Calling
    Nirvana - Lounge Act, About A Girl
    The Kinks - Lola
    PJ - Black, Porch and teases of WMA sometimes
    The Ramones - I Believe In Miracles (both the punk version and the PJ acoustic version)
    Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman
    Phish - Wolfman's Brother, Suzy Greenberg, Heavy Things
    Neil Young - Act Of Love, Harvest Moon
    Talking Heads - Cities, Burning Down The House
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Breathe/Time

...but I can't give away all of my secrets ;)
    BinFrog said:

My approach is to have a mix of songs everyone knows with either obscure songs or lesser known songs from bands everyone knows.

Some tunes in my list:

Tom Petty - American Girl
    The Clash - London Calling
    Nirvana - Lounge Act, About A Girl
    The Kinks - Lola
    PJ - Black, Porch and teases of WMA sometimes
    The Ramones - I Believe In Miracles (both the punk version and the PJ acoustic version)
    Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman
    Phish - Wolfman's Brother, Suzy Greenberg, Heavy Things
    Neil Young - Act Of Love, Harvest Moon
    Talking Heads - Cities, Burning Down The House
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Breathe/Time

...but I can't give away all of my secrets ;)

That's awesome! What a perfect set! Have you actually played any solo shows yet?
    No, but I've played dozens of shows in my duo and over the past few years I've stepped into the lead role in a few songs that we play.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    brianlux said:

Oo! Oo!

Just saw this thread. The greatest band that ever was and ever will be. If you've known me on this board for the last 4.5 years or so, you'll know what a huge fan I am.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Sunday mornings are Beatles on vinyl for me lol

This morning I go with this

1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee said:

Sunday mornings are Beatles on vinyl for me lol

This morning I go with this

Great choice! Do you own all there albums?
    There's an interesting poll/thread titled "No Code or Yield" going on over on the Porch and in it somewhere I said Yield with out No Code would be like Rubber Soul without Revolver. So just for fun, if you had to which would you rank above the other- Runner Soul or Revolver?

It's a super tough call but I have to go with Rubber Soul because of Norwegian Wood and one of my all-time favorites, Nowhere Man.