Which Pearl Jam song means the most to you?

Comments

• Ed's magical ability to construct lyrics that contain several variations of interpretation to coincide with every single one of our lives has me loving all of them. I've been here since the beginning, battling through life with Pearl Jam providing the soundtrack. From neglect, abuse, death, destruction, betrayal, hurt, suffering, pain, agony and disappointment to love, understanding, acceptance, appreciation, wisdom and freedom. At this moment, it's got to be: Amongst The Waves; been through hell and back and I've still got a smile on my face.
    redm0squito76
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Ed's magical ability to construct lyrics that contain several variations of interpretation to coincide with every single one of our lives has me loving all of them. I've been here since the beginning, battling through life with Pearl Jam providing the soundtrack. From neglect, abuse, death, destruction, betrayal, hurt, suffering, pain, agony and disappointment to love, understanding, acceptance, appreciation, wisdom and freedom. At this moment, it's got to be: Amongst The Waves; been through hell and back and I've still got a smile on my face.

Amazing first post! :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Ed's magical ability to construct lyrics that contain several variations of interpretation to coincide with every single one of our lives has me loving all of them. I've been here since the beginning, battling through life with Pearl Jam providing the soundtrack. From neglect, abuse, death, destruction, betrayal, hurt, suffering, pain, agony and disappointment to love, understanding, acceptance, appreciation, wisdom and freedom. At this moment, it's got to be: Amongst The Waves; been through hell and back and I've still got a smile on my face.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Dimenna412Dimenna412 Baltimore Posts: 9
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Present Tense changed my life dude :)

Same here, I never get enough of that song.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I hear your story man. I have a brother and best friend (both are Blood to me) that were, are and may always be that awkward around women. Present Tense is a great song to search your soul and help find your inner strength and TAME your fear. Its there...Throwing copper, great CD. Gonna listen to it now friend. I'm 42, married with two sons. Never played any musical instruments but I'm considering learning guitar. I find so much inspiration in PJ's music that I want to sing the songs to my wife and boys at our campfires'. Our two stories make me recall some of my favorite lyrics, "no time to be void or save up on life. You gotta spend it all!
    Burton wrote:
    I couldn't attempt to answer this question,
    but a few people have mentioned "present tense" and i'd like to tell a story :D

I'm a musician, Making an album is all I've wanted to do with my life since i first heard "no code" and Live's "Throwing Copper", Present Tense was my first ever favorite song.

Much later, I was going to see a girl.
    This was a big deal, I've suffered greatly from social anxiety most of my life, girls hate me, i'm ugly, a nerd, weird etc etc... you know the type.

It had reached the point that i literally get the shakes trying to buy something at a shop if theirs a woman behind the counter.

Just turning up at her door was the most difficult and courageous thing I've ever done.

All the way there (was a 20 minute drive) i had Present Tense on repeat in the my car.
    I stopped 5 times in fear, 2 of those times i turned around and started heading home.
    Took over an hour to get there, but i did get there.

About a year later the whole fiasco turned out to be about as productive as swallowing a cluster grenade, BUT that's not the point

The point is, that song gave me the strength to face a full-blown phobia
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Black means a lot and takes me back to the time when I played it constantly.

Release and Light Years for my Dad.

Present Tense for life itself
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Off he goes
    Drifting
    In my tree
    2006 Antwerp Belgium
    2007 Werchter Belgium
    2010 Nijmegen Netherlands,
    2010 Werchter Belgium
    2012 Werchter Belgium
    2014 Amsterdam 1 Netherlands
    2014 Werchter Belgium
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Better Man. This song came out during a time in my life where it profoundly affected how I viewed myself and the relationship I was in at the time. Even now when I listen to the song I am taken back to that time and can feel the vulnerability that I had back then. I'm not sure that I would have made the decision to move on without this song.
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Too many, to be honest and it changes in the mood I am in.

Last week: Whipping (for that is how I feel what the unemployment rates in the Netherlands at the moment.)
    This week: Brain of J and Sleight of Hand.
  • actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    tennismom wrote:
    Better Man. This song came out during a time in my life where it profoundly affected how I viewed myself and the relationship I was in at the time. Even now when I listen to the song I am taken back to that time and can feel the vulnerability that I had back then. I'm not sure that I would have made the decision to move on without this song.

You & me both, BM hit so close to home, it felt personal. It seemed weird that a man could write this & get the thoughts and feelings so right. I heard that Eddie was about 17 when he wrote this – that’s sad that he could have that kind of insight at that young age. I’m glad my kids were younger when I went thru my rockiest years, but we somehow made it thru hell together. Better Man still brings back so many memories, but it made me feel like I wasn't alone in my situation at that time.
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • In My Tree
  • loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    release
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    loveatree said:

release

I almost agree with you there :)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Blood
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited April 2017
    Leatherman
    Post edited by Pap on
    edited April 2017
    Leatherman
    Post edited by Pap on
    edited April 2017
    Leatherman
    Post edited by Pap on
  • pjamphilpjamphil Toms River Posts: 17
    Jeremy

Senior year I did a contest called Mr. Memorial and sung Jeremy in front of most of my senior class. I don't want to sound full of myself but I rocked the place out and ended up winning the contest. I am still known by many of my friends for singing Jeremy and It definitely was one of the better moments in my life. I also take pride in my song selection as I could have sung any pearl jam song. I plan on singing sirens the ultimate pjam ballad at my high school reunion full orchestra on staff (maybe that wont happen but nonetheless my story is true)

light years, corduroy, and the fixer I would add as well
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    This kind of Changes from time to time but atm it's Even Flow and Corduroy...Yes I know that's Two :P
  • karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    i_lov_it said:

This kind of Changes from time to time but atm it's Even Flow and Corduroy...Yes I know that's Two :P

Really I hadn't noticed. :D
    I'll pick Who you are
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • aceblazer1aceblazer1 Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    It changes according to my mood, but right now it's Deep and Porch.
    Post edited by aceblazer1 on
    edited April 2017
    Leatherman
    Post edited by Pap on
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    BLACK - Greatest song in Rock N Roll history
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The End
    not nearly my favorite song (too depressing) but as my father was dying I was stuck on this song over and over for months. It still hits my like a train if I listen to it years later.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JayneegirrlJayneegirrl Milwaukee Posts: 112
    What is the most difficult question to answer?

I'll take "Pearl Jam" for $1000, Alex.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Release

But it wasn't until I was older that this song had an impact on me....I didn't grow up with my dad in my life...we have a relationship now....a friendship rather, but that song just expresses so much about how it feels to not have your father around...I feel....and the "Oh dear dad, can you see me now, I am myself, like you somehow...." I am like my father, even though I didn't grow up around him, I have things in common with him that are so weird and random that you would think you'd need to grow up around him to have...and "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, release me...." I'm along for the ride in this "friendship", but I don't dare let on that I still hurt over him choosing to not be a part of my life....and "I'll wait up in the dark, for you to speak to me, I'll open up, release me..." sometimes I find myself waiting for his approval, and wanting it so badly...even though I know it should really go the other way around...but this song means so much to me that I plan to get the lyrics inked on me with a custom wave...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!