vancouver = WORST ga lineup organization

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    ckravitz wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Just to be clear where I stand (haha, I know no one gives a shit, but I mean to explain my prior comments). I have no problem with GA in and of itself. What scares the shit out of me is that if this whole list thing pisses off enough or the wrong kind of people it is eventually going to get ugly and hearing some of this has me fearful of a freaking riot. That will impact everything.
    Not like I've seen every line with a list, but what I have seen doesn't make me think that the situation is even remotely nearing anything like that. There are some people acting like dicks, and some people getting annoyed, but there isn't any actual violent rage or anything close to it. I don't think there is any risk here. It's just unfair and fucking irritating. :)

I've seen the line when picking up Ten Club tix but never long enough to draw any conclusions so all my "experience" is based on the stories here. That's actually good to hear that more is being made of it than what really is going on.

Still, I'm very glad I wasn't in that line with that chic shrieking because it would have been hard not to yell back at her and probably get my butt kicked (knowing my luck) by her pro boxer boyfriend. :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2013
    jumbojet wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :lol: I thought it was a joke! :lol: ..... But there is a good point there.... :

OK but will you give a review of the show? Or did you already do it somewhere? 8-)
    I spewed out something in the setlist relay thread at about 2:30 in the morning, during my post show delirium. :lol: It was amazing - one of the best nights of my life, to be honest. 3 deep in front of Eddie, amazing fantastic crowd, wonderful people all around me in the pit (even the listers), band was on fire and in a great mood, 36 songs, 3 hrs 15 min, and an incredible set list. By far the best show I have ever been to in my life. :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 196
    edited December 2013
    CM189191 wrote:
    Divka wrote:
    CM189191 wrote:
    Screw waiting in line all day or any stupid list.

It's called GENERAL ADMISSION for a reason. I'll show up late, walk right up to the stage, and stand in front of you.

You want a number? Go sit in a reserved seat.

Nothing irks me more than going to a concert, making my way up to the stage, and having someone tell me I'm in their 'spot' or crowding their 'area' because they were there first. Well guess what? I got a beer, took a piss, and I'm here now.

This is rock concert people. We're not waiting in line for Subway fucking sandwiches.

Lack of consideration is not an admirable trait. GA does not = the right to bully your way to the stage. Nothing irks me more than going to a concert and having some jerk (try to) shove his way in front of me. I may be little but I don't put up with crap like that. Just because there is three inches of space in between me and someone else doesn't mean you get to stand there.

Being on some list doesn't give you the right to bully your way up to the stage either. You didn't earn your spot any more than some jerk who bullied their way to the front.

Again, it's general admission. You don't get a spot. It's not yours. You share and share alike. Golden rule, treat others as you'd like to be treated and all that jazz.

Speaking as former security/doorman at a concert venue: If someone walked up to me with a list and said "this is how we run things", they would be listening to the show from the alley out back.

This is my stance on the list:
    Divka wrote:
    I've always been the type of concert-goer who will get in line at the butt-crack of dawn because I want to be in the front row. I do this for 2 reasons - 1) I am 5'1 and if I'm not in the front I can't see crap. 2) Like Dimitris said, being right in front of Mike is the best thing ever. I will happily stand (or sit) in line for 12 hours to make that happen. Been doing it since I was 15.

For the list - the first time I encountered it was in Missoula, and it worked very well. People didn't abuse the system in that they didn't show up at 8am, grab a number, and take off until 4:30pm. The idea was that if you needed to go get some food, or take a pee, you could leave the line without losing your place. And it helped when the time came to go pick up tix.

The only other GA list I have encountered was in Phoenix. This time, people acted as if the # on their hand was a ticket with a reserved seat on it.So when those people with numbers on their hands who disappeared all day showed back up at 4:30 and began shoving themselves in line, it was a shit show. And yes, there was that one crazy person who started yelling orders and acting like they were in charge. I think that if you want to claim a spot at the front of the line, stay in the damn line all day. If you can't handle that, then show up before doors open and get the best spot you can.

I played along with both lists in that I got a # and I wrote my name down, but I stayed in line all day long. I love the GA section and hope it stays, but I wish the lists would disappear. Just get in line. Don't act like you own a spot on the pavement because the first person in line handed you a sharpie. :fp:

So, if I get there before the sun comes up and wait in line all day, I think I did earn my spot.
    Post edited by Divka on
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    ckravitz wrote:
    im against the list,i dont do it,i did it in the past ,i know how it works,and works perfect if people arent act like animals and resepct eachother and not take advantage of it and sneak 10 people wasnt there all day..and in that case u dont even need a fuckin list....
    but im against all those who never see pj from GA and dont understand the how away different experience is and make the fuckin list the number 1 problem on the planet cos they dont want the GA at pj concert and try to find every fuickin excuse and problem to create a situation that GA sucks
    well,its not....and the band proves it by making the last place on the planet,North America ,GA shows as well
    an dputs their best shows ever

Well I guess since I meet some of the criteria of your comment, I'd just like to say that while I of course don't speak for anyone but myself, I THINK that there is a group of people who's primary concern has nothing to do with GA, rather it has more to do with the potential for something tragic. Now, from some additional comments that have been made ITT, perhaps that is not an issue. But in just reading through here you can see some people are infuriated by this list and that anger appears to be somewhat escalating. I'm not opposed to GA if it is done in orderly fashion which is clearly currently open for debate, at least for US shows.

For the record, my 10C number is so poor that GA actually benefits me in the lottery because I personally will choose reserved every time.

Are you saying that some of the organizers of the list are actually concerned about safety? Not gonna generalize and say none of them are concerned with safety, but personally, I think they're mostly worried about getting them and their "friends" an advantage in the race to the rail. I think there's far more potential for danger with the list than any sort of mad dash to the pit. They're probably pissing more people off than they realize.

Dimi's point about not needing a list if people are humane to each other and don't behave like spoiled kids is totally on point. Freakin line up, walk in and get as close as you can and you'll have a sweet time. I've said it once, I'll say it again....I've never had proximity to the stage affect the time I've had at a concert. I've been about 5 rows from Stone and I've been at the top of the arena and the lawn. I had a blast at all of them. I'm sure riding the rail is fantastic, but so are the other 19,999 spots.

CM189er18181911918's post seems obnoxious, but if he walks to his spot in the pit without pushing or bullying anybody then I see no problem with it at all.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    DewieCox wrote:
    Dimi's point about not needing a list if people are humane to each other and don't behave like spoiled kids is totally on point. Freakin line up, walk in and get as close as you can and you'll have a sweet time.

i don't think that was his point, but okay....
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    DewieCox wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    im against the list,i dont do it,i did it in the past ,i know how it works,and works perfect if people arent act like animals and resepct eachother and not take advantage of it and sneak 10 people wasnt there all day..and in that case u dont even need a fuckin list....
    but im against all those who never see pj from GA and dont understand the how away different experience is and make the fuckin list the number 1 problem on the planet cos they dont want the GA at pj concert and try to find every fuickin excuse and problem to create a situation that GA sucks
    well,its not....and the band proves it by making the last place on the planet,North America ,GA shows as well

Well I guess since I meet some of the criteria of your comment, I'd just like to say that while I of course don't speak for anyone but myself, I THINK that there is a group of people who's primary concern has nothing to do with GA, rather it has more to do with the potential for something tragic. Now, from some additional comments that have been made ITT, perhaps that is not an issue. But in just reading through here you can see some people are infuriated by this list and that anger appears to be somewhat escalating. I'm not opposed to GA if it is done in orderly fashion which is clearly currently open for debate, at least for US shows.

For the record, my 10C number is so poor that GA actually benefits me in the lottery because I personally will choose reserved every time.

Are you saying that some of the organizers of the list are actually concerned about safety? Not gonna generalize and say none of them are concerned with safety, but personally, I think they're mostly worried about getting them and their "friends" an advantage in the race to the rail. I think there's far more potential for danger with the list than any sort of mad dash to the pit. They're probably pissing more people off than they realize.

Dimi's point about not needing a list if people are humane to each other and don't behave like spoiled kids is totally on point. Freakin line up, walk in and get as close as you can and you'll have a sweet time. I've said it once, I'll say it again....I've never had proximity to the stage affect the time I've had at a concert. I've been about 5 rows from Stone and I've been at the top of the arena and the lawn. I had a blast at all of them. I'm sure riding the rail is fantastic, but so are the other 19,999 spots.

CM189er18181911918's post seems obnoxious, but if he walks to his spot in the pit without pushing or bullying anybody then I see no problem with it at all.

No not at all. I totally get it that the list people are assholes. The safety comments are about the potential for an explosive situation between the listers and non-listers (for lack of a better characterization). I was just saying that because of the GA admittance this potentially explosive situation exists and that SOMETHING needs to be done or else I fear eventually it will lead to real problems. Dimi then later commented, not to me mind you, that some people who want to get rid of GA are making reasons why GA should go. I was merely clarifying that I am full support of GA, shit it even benefits me since it sucks up lottery spots, but I believe something needs to be done to make it more orderly. Now, someone has also pointed out that the anger in the lines isn't really as bad as it is made out to be here, in which case perhaps there isn't really a safety issue at all. It just so happened that comment wasn't made until later in the thread.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    shortstack wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Dimi's point about not needing a list if people are humane to each other and don't behave like spoiled kids is totally on point. Freakin line up, walk in and get as close as you can and you'll have a sweet time.

I'm pretty sure it was at least part of his point.
    edited December 2013
    CM189191 wrote:

It's called GENERAL ADMISSION for a reason. I'll show up late, walk right up to the stage, and stand in front of you.

Nothing irks me more than going to a concert, making my way up to the stage, and having someone tell me I'm in their 'spot' or crowding their 'area' because they were there first. Well guess what? I got a beer, took a piss, and I'm here now.

This is rock concert people. We're not waiting in line for Subway fucking sandwiches.
    Well good luck with that. There are at least 3 rows of people against the rail who are packed too tight for you get passed, and they won't let you squeeze by. Some bitch who claimed to be looking for a friend tried to weasel her way up to the rail last night, and she didn't get further than 4 deep no matter how sad she made her puppy dog eyes. :lol: She just got called out and told to fuck off (which I didn't support - I just gave her a look like, huh? Wha? I'm here. I'm not moving for you).

Hey, guess what? The ONLY person who got up to the rail after the start of the show was a man with a two or three year old on his shoulders! He went up and the crowd parted like the Red Sea for him, he got to the rail right in front of me (kid on shoulders blocking my view of course), and the (cute) little boy handed Eddie a sign requesting YLB, which Ed then played. To be fair, the man waited until the second to last song to do this, just in time for YLB to have a chance. And the kid got a tambourine the second Eddie saw him, and a shout out. This was at midnight. about 5 hours past the kid's bedtime I guess. He was wearing noise cancelling headphones (Ed asked if he was actually just listening to Katy Perry :lol: ). Also, most people in the crowd ahhhed about how cute the kid was, who was shaking the tambourine and being generally adorable. Not many people were mad.... The only thing I was thrown off by was that that tiny kid was in a rowdy GA pit 5 hours past bedtime. The fact that the dad went up only for one and half songs helped though. I doubt people would have thought it was so cute if he's been blocking people's view with the kid on his shoulders the whole show.... in fact, after not very long (after Eddie gave him the tambourine), he just put the kid on the rail and held him there, which was fine.
    edited December 2013
    rival. wrote:
    actually, i hope they keep GA.

all you animals will still put it as your first preference during the 10c lottery sale, i will put reserved seating as my first preference and be pretty much guaranteed tickets, great seating side stage, and i will be able to walk into the venue at 8pm headache and confrontation free and without dealing with the nut jobs holding a notebook and a black sharpie :)

this guy knows what's up :)
    Exactly. GA was awesome for making my crappy (lost my good one) number seats much better :mrgreen:

MG79478 wrote:
    This board is filled with hypocrites, when the system doesn’t benefit them, they complain. When the system benefits them, there is nothing wrong with it… even if they are now doing what they previously spoke out against.
    Post edited by shortstack on
  • There was a list??????!! What the fuck?! It's called General Admission, people. I'm shocked. The list is so obviously BS. But it does explain why some people were dicks when I tried to get up front. General Admission is general admission. No one is entitled to any specific spot! You're entitled to roam anywhere you want within the general admission parameters.
    DewieCox wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was at least part of his point.

who knows... :lol:
    There was a list??????!! What the fuck?! It's called General Admission, people. I'm shocked. The list is so obviously BS. But it does explain why some people were dicks when I tried to get up front. General Admission is general admission. No one is entitled to any specific spot! You're entitled to roam anywhere you want within the general admission parameters.
    The list has nothing to do with you not being able to worm your way to the front. List or no list, people up front want to stay up front, and there is no reason they should let you get in front of them when they are already there filling that space.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    There was a list??????!! What the fuck?! It's called General Admission, people. I'm shocked. The list is so obviously BS. But it does explain why some people were dicks when I tried to get up front. General Admission is general admission. No one is entitled to any specific spot! You're entitled to roam anywhere you want within the general admission parameters.
    The list has nothing to do with you not being able to worm your way to the front. List or no list, people up front want to stay up front, and there is no reason they should let you get in front of them when they are already there filling that space.
    :clap:
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
    CM189191 wrote:

ALSO not cool.

Bullshit, this guy is absolutely right ! Its a GA show and I will stand wherever the fuck I want when I want. I will be civil but if you act like a bitch or a TFL then its on !
    So what are you saying?? If people won't let you just stand in front of them when they were there first, then what do you do?? Physically move them and take their spot?? :roll: This doesn't make any sense. You think you should be able to displace people already there when they aren't willing to do so? ... You'll get kicked out of the pit by security doing that shit.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

high five, girlfrayund
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    So what are you saying?? If people won't let you just stand in front of them when they were there first, then what do you do?? Physically move them and take their spot?? :roll: This doesn't make any sense. You think you should be able to displace people already there when they aren't willing to do so? ... You'll get kicked out of the pit by security doing that shit.

Or by Eddie :lol:
    ckravitz wrote:

Everyone seems angrier on the internet. :lol: Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever IRL and in person that this scene would ever get violent or dangerous. Especially not if you are further back in the line, aka acting like a normal person. ;)
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Everyone seems angrier on the internet. :lol: Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever IRL and in person that this scene would ever get violent or dangerous. Especially not if you are further back in the line, aka acting like a normal person. ;)

It was definitely your posts that I was referring to (that made it clear that it isn't so bad).

You mean further back where it was harder to hear the wicked witch everyone is talking about? :lol::lol:
    edited December 2013
    ckravitz wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

It was definitely your posts that I was referring to (that made it clear that it isn't so bad).

You mean further back where it was harder to hear the wicked witch everyone is talking about? :lol::lol:
    Oh no, people could hear HER out on the streets, inside the skytrain station, probably on the other side of the arena.... :lol: It's just that anyone further back isn't even aware of what's going on up there with the list, aside from the screaming crazy lady. :lol: Although of course we did all notice some very warm and freshly showered folks walking by us and heading up to the front... nothing people way back in the line can do because they aren't the ones people are cutting directly in front of, and we don't know how long the people have been gone. The people further up need to be the ones keeping them from cutting back in line after being gone for hours, but no one does.
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    maybe the "ugly stick" brought its friend the "stinky twig" also?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Simple solution

Eat
    Shit
    Get in line and stay in line
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    CM189191 wrote:
    Again, it's general admission. You don't get a spot. It's not yours.

whats with the tough guy bully act my friend?

if i am standing in a spot, whether i waited all day or i just got there, then that is my spot... and i would love to see you try and take it or move me :roll:

to the annoying leaches that try to squirm their way closer and closer to the stage at any sign of daylight please just stop... there is nothing worse then the entitled drunk fan trying to grab every inch of space they can to get closer to the stage... we have all seen them and they are annoying as hell and quite childish... just grab a spot and chill the fuck out assholes, it's a matter of a few feet in either direction we are talking about here? :roll:

to the people that sign the list and leave for hours... stop being entitled assholes taking advantage of a system...

to the people that act like they are running the concert with their notebooks and barking out orders, please just shut up, you arent anyones boss and nobody is paying you any mind...

GA at arena shows is the best thing they have done since the lottery... for a ton of reasons... and i assume they will keep it for arena shows... so all of you entitled assholes with numbers on your hand, all you bully assholes that show up and push your way to the front, and to the leaches who try to squeeze every inch out of any space they see to get closer, chill the fuck out, get your ass in line@ 6am like the other crazies if you want to be on the rail, and if not just relax and enjoy the show from your spot 8 feet behind the rail? i mean seriously, i thought most fans around here were adults at this point?
    edited December 2013

you are wrong... as about as wrong as you can be actually... you are not entitled to roam into my spot or my space if i am standing there... and if there is 3 inches in front of me you are not entitled to leach in front of me and fill the tiny crack...

where do you people come from? a bunch of entitled fucking assholes :roll:
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Ezo5000Ezo5000 Posts: 155
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Simple solution

Eat
    Shit
    Get in line and stay in line

Thread Over
    my2hands wrote:
    CM189191 wrote:

whats with the tough guy bully act my friend?

if i am standing in a spot, whether i waited all day or i just got there, then that is my spot... and i would love to see you try and take it or move me :roll:

to the annoying leaches that try to squirm their way closer and closer to the stage at any sign of daylight please just stop... there is nothing worse then the entitled drunk fan trying to grab every inch of space they can to get closer to the stage... we have all seen them and they are annoying as hell and quite childish... just grab a spot and chill the fuck out assholes, it's a matter of a few feet in either direction we are talking about here? :roll:

to the people that sign the list and leave for hours... stop being entitled assholes taking advantage of a system...

to the people that act like they are running the concert with their notebooks and barking out orders, please just shut up, you arent anyones boss and nobody is paying you any mind...

GA at arena shows is the best thing they have done since the lottery... for a ton of reasons... and i assume they will keep it for arena shows... so all of you entitled assholes with numbers on your hand, all you bully assholes that show up and push your way to the front, and to the leaches who try to squeeze every inch out of any space they see to get closer, chill the fuck out, get your ass in line@ 6am like the other crazies if you want to be on the rail, and if not just relax and enjoy the show from your spot 8 feet behind the rail? i mean seriously, i thought most fans around here were adults at this point?

I fully support everything you've said here. :clap: Thank you.
    teskeinc wrote:

this thread is just filled with assholes... how old are you dude? you sound like an 8th grade girl... who gives a fuck what people look like at a show?

i need to stay out of these "list" threads...
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    mr_perfect wrote:
    ok so we arrive around 3pm. building security moved the ga line to where we would be entering. at this point you could not join the line without having your tickets and wristbands and clearing security first. ok so we line up for almost 30 minutes to get these. we then head up to the line where we were told to sign our own names on a few pieces of paper left on a garbage can and to also mark our own hands. we were somewhere in the 80s.

So around 5pm we are told to organize ourselves. this worked ok and everyone fell into place. then around 530 we are told to move and line up SINGLE FILE around a rail. of course people (at the back of the line) took this opportunity to quickly place themselves in front of the numbered people who were trying to move. one lady kept screaming that security would not let us in unless we were single file on that rail. well that was full of shit and again people would not move, nor were they single file and nor did security even give a shit or say anything.

when it came time to enter at 630, security made 4 lines to enter. everyone mad rushes the lines and as you can tell the numbering system was completely thrown out.

once inside, everyone made a mad dash to the stairs to the floor, pushing and shoving.

what a nightmare, my perfect seats in section 105 row 2 were fucking fabulous. the hell with that nonsense, too old for that shit
    ShawnZ
    CM189191 wrote:
    It is when we're standing in it! It's not if we leave it. I think you're a bit confused.
    teskeinc wrote:

i'm gonna need to see some pics of you asap :P
    edited December 2013
    my2hands wrote:
    teskeinc wrote:

this thread is just filled with assholes... how old are you dude? you sound like an 8th grade girl... who gives a fuck what people look like at a show?

i need to stay out of these "list" threads...
    Yeah, no shit. What's with this shit about ugly people?? The only ugly I care about is the ugliness inside. So maybe someone stuck the ugly stick up your butt?