Options

The List and its People

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Everyone going to last 5 shows read #5 below on 10c ticket confirmation page :lol:

5. GA ticket holders may enter the venue from any gate/door. The GA section is located on the floor directly in front of the stage and is first-come-first-serve.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    onemorshow wrote:
    Everyone going to last 5 shows read #5 below on 10c ticket confirmation page :lol:

5. GA ticket holders may enter the venue from any gate/door. The GA section is located on the floor directly in front of the stage and is first-come-first-serve.

Yep. Don't let someone with self-appointed "list power" tell you what number you are or where you should enter the building. First come first serve does not equal first name in the notebook gets pole position.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    onemorshow wrote:

Well love or hate the list, this pretty much gives an insight to the band's position on it and it would seem kind of unfair to attempt to enforce a list now since the majority of fans are being told they can enter anywhere.
  • Options
    People who line up way early in the AM don't have their tickets yet, because the 10C box office doesn't open until the afternoon. So I would expect that people work in pairs. One person waits in line while the other person shows up later with the tickets some time before the door opens. Or if both get in line, then one person will have to leave at some time to go pick up the tickets. It's a funky process.

Other shows I've been to where the tickets are in hand before the show day I've seen lines enforce a rule, no ticket no getting in line...

U2 elevation tour, I got in line at 3:30 in the afternoon, they were writing numbers on the backs of hands. I got number 515... By the end of the show I was standing right behand the guy with #1 on his hand 7 feet from Bono. But that was the show wit the heart shaped ramp and people were following the guys around the ramp and clearing the way to the front of the stage.

My experience is that if something really wrong is happening in a line most peopel will speak up and send the cutters to the back. But hard to do when tickets are distributed well after the line forms... At some point every pair of people in the line will have to have someone go get their tickets, right?
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    Apparently this concept is nothing new. Grateful Dead fans did something similar for shows they went to when people would line up sometimes the night before a show and sleep outside in tents.
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    people who need to be on the rail have to be missing something in their life.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I still don't know what the problem is.
    The concept of people waiting in line for a General Admission gig is nothing new. and the basic concept is extremely simple:
    A. Go to a place where people waiting to get in.
    B. Get in the end of the line.
    C. Say, "Hello" to the person you stand behind.
    D. Say, "Hello" to the next person that arrives after you.
    That's it.
    No one expects you to stand in one place for the entire time.
    People should understand human biology by this point in their lives and that people need to eat and drink. And when people eat and drink, they shit and piss.
    People also know, cutting in front of others is not cool.
    The only reason why people feel the need to make list and all that crap is because people do not understand that there are other people in this world besides themselves. If we simply understood that the world was not invented specifically for us... and that there are others out there that share our desires... then, none of this would happen.
    It's just too bad that reality doesn't work that way.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Goatboy wrote:
    Have you ever seen Pearl Jam perform from the vantage point of the railling?
    Let me tell you... it is pretty fucking bad-ass. And if something is missing in my life... Pearl Jam live gig certainly adds a big shot os kick-ass to it.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cosmo wrote:
    The concept of people waiting in line for a General Admission gig is nothing new. and the basic concept is extremely simple:
    That's it.
    People should understand human biology by this point in their lives and that people need to eat and drink. And when people eat and drink, they shit and piss.
    The only reason why people feel the need to make list and all that crap is because people do not understand that there are other people in this world besides themselves. If we simply understood that the world was not invented specifically for us... and that there are others out there that share our desires... then, none of this would happen.
    stop being reasonable..people loves drama and find problems
    after seattle someone will post,GA sucks cos someone from the "list" farted
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Goatboy wrote:
    Let me tell you... it is pretty fucking bad-ass. And if something is missing in my life... Pearl Jam live gig certainly adds a big shot os kick-ass to it.

I have and I know how great it is. I should correct myself. People who need to be noticed by PJ have issues. The signs, shirts, children...the need to be noticed by the band. The need to drink from Eddie's wine bottle, or get a tambourine/setlist. All cool things but I know of quite a few people who make it their mission to accomplish these things. Yeah, the rail is amazing I grant you that. All that other stuff I find kinda creepy.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cosmo wrote:
    Goatboy wrote:
    its the best pj experience someone could have..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Goatboy wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Goatboy wrote:

I have and I know how great it is. I should correct myself. People who need to be noticed by PJ have issues. The signs, shirts, children...the need to be noticed by the band. The need to drink from Eddie's wine bottle, or get a tambourine/setlist. All cool things but I know of quite a few people who make it their mission to accomplish these things. Yeah, the rail is amazing I grant you that. All that other stuff I find kinda creepy.
    I totally agree with you.
    If you get on the railling to try and get something like a pick or a tamborine... or to get noticed... that's fucking weird. And don't get me started with the signs and flags and the pimping out of the kids... I agree with you.
    The main reason I like being up front is because it is fucking GREAT. My girlfriend ain't tall and i wanted her to experience what it is like.
    Also, the seated shows push me further back... which is still great, and i'm NOT complaining... but, a General Admission gives me a rare opportunity to get up front. Pearl Jam doesn't come around every day and when they do come around, we get our seats assigned to us.
    That is why I invested my time and comfort to sit on the sidewalk all day. To get a shot of what is not normally availble to me. I don't expect being up front... i know I have to sacrifice partying before hand or hanging out wth friends if I want this limited number of spots on the railling. That's all.
    I'm not an 'elitist'... i just fucking love the music this band puts out.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Cosmo wrote:
    That's it.

This is cool and everything, but people are leaving for hours and hours at a time. So when you get to the GA line at noon and there are 20 people there, you make friends with the people in front and behind you. You go to the bathroom, leave to get a quick sandwich, but never leave for more than 20 minutes. Now at 5pm 50 people come in and force themselves in front of you because of these "numbers" on their hands. Are you and the friends you made going to fight them for the spot?

I think the number system only enables jerks to be jerks. Jerks feel like these numbers allow them to cut in line, whereas if they didn't have these numbers they might find their soul again and not cut in line. The numbers provide them an excuse. Wishfull thinking. There will always be line cutters.

The numbers must go, and the relationships people make in line will keep the integrity of the line. Not stupid numbers.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you.
    If you get on the railling to try and get something like a pick or a tamborine... or to get noticed... that's fucking weird. And don't get me started with the signs and flags and the pimping out of the kids... I agree with you.
    The main reason I like being up front is because it is fucking GREAT. My girlfriend ain't tall and i wanted her to experience what it is like.
    Also, the seated shows push me further back... which is still great, and i'm NOT complaining... but, a General Admission gives me a rare opportunity to get up front. Pearl Jam doesn't come around every day and when they do come around, we get our seats assigned to us.
    That is why I invested my time and comfort to sit on the sidewalk all day. To get a shot of what is not normally availble to me. I don't expect being up front... i know I have to sacrifice partying before hand or hanging out wth friends if I want this limited number of spots on the railling. That's all.
    I'm not an 'elitist'... i just fucking love the music this band puts out.[/quote]

I with ya, the front is GREAT! And I have no problem with people wanting to get a pick or tambourine or whatever. that's fine, it's just the going out of your way to get noticed stuff that is so lame. You are right, all of that ties in to the whole "elitist" thing, I just don't get it. Maybe its simply a by-product of how amazing this band is that these people exist. I dunno, I go to the shows now to rock out and that's it:)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    will we be on the rail for Portland & Spokane? who knows? but I know we'll be close & I do not plan on sleeping at the venue to be first in line. see everyone there! :D SO FUCKING PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    onemorshow wrote:

I did this in Phoenix! Showed up an hour before the doors opened, got my 10c GA tix at the box office, and strolled over to the GA line to find about 200 people snaked around one gate. As soon as I was "instructed" to put my name on the list and get a number on my hand, I laughed, walked away, and proceeded to stand at the nearest gate NOT designated for GA. All gates opened at the same time, so as I entered the main concourse, I joined the GA line about 15 people back, as they were being led by security so as to avoid a stampede, and got the rail right in front of Stone. No need to sign lists and waste an entire day standing in line.
    '95 - 2
    '98 - 6
    '00 - 8
    '03 - 15
    '04 - 2
    '05 - 1
    '06 - 8
    '07 - 2 (Vic!)
    '08 - 2
    '09 - 2
    '10 - 2 (50th show!)
    '11 - 2 (PJ20)
    '13 - 4
    '14 - 4

Total = 60 (1st: Milwaukee 7/8/95, Last: Milwaukee Next: TBD in 2015)
  • Options
    This is cool and everything, but people are leaving for hours and hours at a time. So when you get to the GA line at noon and there are 20 people there, you make friends with the people in front and behind you. You go to the bathroom, leave to get a quick sandwich, but never leave for more than 20 minutes. Now at 5pm 50 people come in and force themselves in front of you because of these "numbers" on their hands. Are you and the friends you made going to fight them for the spot?

I think the number system only enables jerks to be jerks. Jerks feel like these numbers allow them to cut in line, whereas if they didn't have these numbers they might find their soul again and not cut in line. The numbers provide them an excuse. Wishfull thinking. There will always be line cutters.

The numbers must go, and the relationships people make in line will keep the integrity of the line. Not stupid numbers.
    I totally agree.
    If you are shooting for the railling... you should hang around in line for the better part.
    Food breaks, bathroom breaks, just walking around the venue to stretch your legs and back... those are good.
    Leaving for hours to go to parties and drink and all of that... and still thinking you deserve a spot in front... kinda selfish.
    And i've seen many times where one or two people in the front are 'saving a spot for their friend'... and it turns out their friend is 50 Facebook friends that squeeze in. i mean, I can totally see saving a spot for your one friend or you girl or guy because they can't get out of work or are stuck in traffic or whatever because we are human... but, not updating your Facebook page to let your all of your douchey frineds in.
    But, yeah, i agree... that going early to get a spot in line.... then, leaving and coming back an hour before the doors open. Tells me they are people I really don't want in my circle of friends.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    JimmyV wrote:
    The list and the lineup are trying to turn GA into something that it is not. No matter what time you get to the arena, no matter what number you have written on your hand...you are not guaranteed a particular spot on the floor. If you want a guaranteed spot buy reserved seats. Does it suck that someone who lines up all day gets beaten to the rail by someone who just shows up? Well, yes it does, but the fact is the line and the list have no official purpose. If you waited outside all day and don't get rail then much of the pain you feel is self-inflicted. When the doors open everyone who has GA tickets has as much right to be at the front as anyone else. That is what general admission means. Your spot is not yours until you claim it, and you claim nothing by putting your name on a list or writing a number on your hand.

My solution is one that I hope all arenas will adopt in the future: Open all doors at the same time and let GA people enter through any and all of them. Eliminate the lineup and the list with one swing.
    I disagree. Late last year I saw some Neil Young & Crazy Horse shows from GA. Here is how it worked at most venues:

People who wanted the rail (like me and some of my friends and some folks we didn't know) lined up early.
    There was no list.
    If you needed food/water/bathroom break you notified the people around you and they held your spot in line until you got back.
    There was ONE entrance for GA folks. We went in & had our tickets scanned and got wristbands then went for the rail.
    If someone had GA but didn't care about getting the rail, they could come in later & it was fine.

This is how the Pearl Jam GA process should work but unfortunately there are these lists and GA people are allowed to enter all doors at once. :fp:
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    acharding wrote:
    no one cares about the list if you are there all day.

People only get pissed when people put their name on a list and then go party somewhere and come jump in front of the line 15 minutes before the doors open.
    And... most of the people around me did just that. They didn't go to the parties... they hung out at the arena. They used the porta pottys, went to the McDonalds, took a short nap in their car or walked around the grounds.
    The list protected the people in the middle and back of the line from people in the front of the line letting all of their snakey friends up front.

:fp: Get in line, stay in line. Bring food, drinks, a pillow and a wear a diaper...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    edited July 2014
    You either stay or leave, if you leave you are fucked that is the way it works. You sweat and sacrifice to be in front. This lame come here for a minute the leave for the rest of the day. Is as dumb an idea I have heard. I waited from six am to show time at the Vic with a pal, we bonded in line all day long with those around us and if someone had to pee or eat no one cared as we'll all knew who belonged based on being there all day. This leave all day and think you can come back after a eight hour vacation is lame.