Options

*** Baltimore Fanviews Here 10/27/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Baltimore, MD
1st Mariner Arena
Oct 27, 2013
Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Hard To Imagine
03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
04. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(“twenty three years, twenty three years...We have been a band for twenty three years and this is the first time we have had the opportunity to say “good evening Baltimore”. We have a few friends here from bands like The Evens and Fugazi. Ian was telling me he came here with Henry Rollins in 1978 and Ted Nugent tore the place apart. So we have to top that and we are gonna need your help.”
05. Lukin
06. Corduroy
07. MInd Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
08. Given To Fly
(Ed has Kille turn up the house lights so he can se the audience. He points out a person in a yellow shirt who was jumping up and down during the last song. “You made quite an impression.” Ed then warned the person to “pace themselves”. There is an American flag hanging from the ceiling towards the back of the building that is waving around. Ed asks, “Who is waving that? Who is waving that flag? I thought the ghost of Thomas Jefferson was in D.C.? Is it the ghost of Ronald Reagan? Ted Nugent?”)
09. MFC
10. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(“That last song was about the fragility of life. The next song is about when your friend makes their life even more fragile by poisoning themselves and they don’t want your help. It is a cautionary tale.”)
11. Habit
12. Daughter {Ed sings the words “take a walk on the wild side” over and over but he does not sing the melody or any other lyrics. “Take A Walk On The Wild Side-Reed)}
13. Wishlist
14. Present Tense
15. Spin The Black Circle (Mike runs over to Stone’s side and even runs a few laps around the stage)
(“That was so much fun we might as do another one about the same thing. This goes out to Dischord” {Discchord is Ian MacKaye’s record label}
16. Let The Records Play-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
17. Setting Forth
18. Unthought Known
19. Rearviewmirror
Encore Break 1

(“Everybody good? I would say you are great. We didn’t expect this coming in here.
And happy birthday to this woman. She is twenty one.” Ed pours the woman a cup from his bottle. “It has been a hard day in many ways but we will talk about that later. Music has been healing for me so let’s continue with that.”
20. Yellow Moon-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(Ed talks about how fortunate they have been to know so many great musicians, from street musicians to bands we looked up to. Know matter how prepared you are for something like this, because we are all gonna go someday.” “We will always have his music and our kids will have his music. He was a game changer. We want to dedicate this to Lou and his sweet, sweet wife Laurie.” {Heavily Paraphrased}
21. Man Of The Hour (Dedicated to Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson)
22. Nothingman
23. Waiting For The Man-(Reed)
24. Better Man
25. Do The Evolution
26. Blood
27. Porch

Encore Break 2

28. Once
29. Love, Reign O’re Me-(Townshend)
30. Black
(Ed thanks the audience and their new friends Venus and her sister and also wants to thank the man who helped Ed’s back injury to heal. “I thought I might never play or sing again but Michael Wallace (?) who is here really helped me out. I want to dedicate the next song to him.)
31. Alive
(Ed invites the guy in the yellow shirt that he had spotted earlier to come to the stage. The guy is on the highest level and furthest back from the stage. The guy does make it to the stage.)
32. Rockin’ In The Free World

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Sea wrote:
    “Everybody good? I would say you are great. We didn’t expect this coming in here.
    And happy birthday to this woman. She is twenty one.” Ed pours the woman a cup from his bottle.

:o :shock:

:clap::clap:

so awesome
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    edited October 2013
    just left the show. It was awesome. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for playing my WISHLIST!!! It was a good start to the 5 shows I'm going to. :):D
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Wow! Looks like I know what I'll use my bootleg coupon on.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    seriously,its amazing this setlist,fantstic songs and how connecting..amazing
    thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DubGDubG Posts: 127
    I wasn't here but man that sounds like some crazy insight from ED about his back injury. I knew he was hurt because I just don't think he would call off a tour for anything but man. Never thought he'd sing or play guitar anymore? Whoa...lol :shock: ..sounds like a great night overall for sure
  • Options
    Great show, tons energy from band and crowd. Got to hear some songs I'd never seen live yet.
  • Options
    VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    Anyone know the length of this set time-wise? Thanks
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    This parking lot is a shit hole, no ones moving. They played about 8:20-11:10.
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Great show! I've been going for 20 years and they never disappoint,
    I can't wait till Charlottesville!
  • Options
    StefVGStefVG Posts: 29
    Great show: fantastisc setlist, lots of energy and a superb crowd. Perfect gig to end my US-tour.
    Paris/Antwerp/Dusseldorf/Nijmegen/Werchter/Rotterdam/Manchester/London/
    Dublin/Belfast/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Toronto 1&2/Ottawa/Hamilton/
    Amsterdam 1&2/Werchter/Berlin 1&2/Stockholm/Oslo/Kopenhagen/NY 1&2/Baltimore/Amsterdam 1&2/Milan/Trieste/Vienna/Berlin/Stockholm/Oslo/Werchter
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    The Lou Reed material have me new stuff. Great venue that's smaller than the Spectrum but doesn't stack up as well as Philly 1 or Brooklyn 2. A blast as always though.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    BF2140BF2140 Posts: 5
    Amazing show as always.

Bummed out though that Eddie forgot to acknowledge Jeff. He had a great performance and it sucked to see his face when he didn't get mentioned.

Baltimore appreciated Jeff even if they didn't get the chance to show it!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Great show. A+. Will write more later. Crowd was beat early but they were won over and nuts 10 songs in.
  • Options
    That was an absolutely phenomenal show. Best I've seen- blew Philly 1 away
  • Options
    Just wow. What was up with Jeff at the end?
  • Options
    Slag666Slag666 Posts: 35
    sdougher wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. He left in a huff while Rockin' was winding down.
    (enter clever signature here)
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    Slag666 wrote:
    sdougher wrote:

I was wondering about that too. I noticed Eddie didn't acknowledge him like he did the rest of the band, so maybe they had an argument about something before/during the show? I'm probably reading too much into this though. :lol:
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    Slag666 wrote:
    sdougher wrote:

It was said before - Baltimore loved Jeff!
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    Yeah Jeff just took off his earpiece and bolted (pardon the pun)...he looked annoyed as he left I was right over there where they exit. I was wondering why Ed didn't introduce him either?
  • Options
    Jeff, Baltimore loved you! You really brought some special energy tonight. Everyone knows EV can be kind of spacey. Thanks so much for a fantastic night!
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Awesome night! I am very spoiled. I think this was my 'worst' concert this year. But definitely above average when compared to other bands etc.

Seats was 1st row section 212, which had a really good sight line to the stage. Had some cool convos before/during the set with the guys next to me.

Crowd Energy: Hit and miss. Rare songs were dead. Hit songs were better than philly and brooklyn. Very interesting dynamic.

Hard To Imagine - SOOO HAPPY I got this one! :)
    Lukin - so early in the set, a great surprise!
    Corduroy - GREAT Crowd Energy

(Ed has Kille turn up the house lights so he can se the audience. He points out a person in a yellow shirt who was jumping up and down during the last song. “You made quite an impression.” Ed then warned the person to “pace themselves”.
    THIS GUY is the luckiest motherfucker in the world. 2nd to last row on the 300 section directly across from the stage. THe venue is very rectangular, so he was actually reasonably close, and the section looked really steep so with the yellow shirt he really stood out.

Habit - FUCK YES! I went batshit crazy, :D the crowd didn't know what was happening. :(
    Daughter {Ed sings the words “take a walk on the wild side” over and over but he does not sing the melody or any other lyrics. “Take A Walk On The Wild Side-Reed)} - Good crowd energy
    Present Tense - Personal favorite
    Spin The Black Circle - Let The Records Play : LOVE this combo. And now I heard it both ways! (Sorry to admit that during the 1st chorus of STBC the thought of "shit, I just lost a point in the fantasy pool, went through my mind. :oops: )
    Setting Forth : :thumbup:
    Rearviewmirror - GREAT CROWD ENERGY

Was hoping for something better in the sit-down set.. oh well.
    Waiting For The Man-(Reed) - didn't know it.
    Better Man - good energy
    Do The Evolution - First PJ song that I learned/song that got me into the band, always special
    Blood - WHAT?!?! AGAIN?! AWESOME. Crowd didn't know it..
    Porch - Gets better every fucking time i hear it. 8-)

Once - GREAT CROWD ENERGY
    Love, Reign O’re Me- YESSS! Love this song.
    Black - BEST VERSION OF BLACK I HAVE SEEN EVER. Crowd was totally into it. McCready almost killed me with his solo, it was that good.

(Ed invites the guy in the yellow shirt that he had spotted earlier to come to the stage. The guy is on the highest level and furthest back from the stage. The guy does make it to the stage.)
    Rockin’ In The Free World - This motherfucker, I am soo jealous. He gets invited down, takes him like half the song to make it to the floor, finally gets onstage and goes crazy. the crowd goes crazy. Just a great moment. Then they extand the jam so he has more time to dance onstage. 8)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to spend an evening drinking with Jeff's guitar tech about a month ago in Seattle (random meeting). Met Jeff briefly, but he was a really cool dude. I hope all is well with them!
  • Options
    Awesome Show. Very Emotional too.

Highlights for me were, Hard to Imagine, Habit, Setting Forth, Daughter (mainly because Ed sang take a walk on the wild side at the end), Present Tense, Man of the Hour (speech before about Lou Reed was awesome) Waiting for My Man, Once, and Sirens.

The crowd was kinda so so, started off kinda lame, about 4 songs in the crowd got into it.

I was wondering was what going on with Jeff as well he stormed off the stage like he was pissed at something, Also what was Ed talking about when he said there two drummers in the house and then he flipped Matt Cameron off? Did i miss something? Maybe there was some tension between the band tonight??? I'm probably thinking to much about it,

Either way its was a great show. Hope too see them back in Baltimore again.
    "If you're like me, then you know me"

2006: Camden 1
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4
    2013: Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2,
    2017: Temple of The Dog Philly 2
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Just got home. All I have to say is, Pearl Jam is fucking awesome.

That fucker in the yellow shirt :clap::clap::clap:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Hopped UpHopped Up Posts: 223
    Stone was very active tonight. Thought we might get Mankind after Nothingman/Betterman. Eddie had a cold with lots of nose blowing and not much wine drinking. Man of the Hour into Waiting for the Man for Lou Reed was very cool. Not sure if Jeff was pissed about the oversight in the intros or something else. Noticed him take out his monitors as RITFW ended, but didn't seem angry from my vantage point.

Guy getting on stage from second to back row due to his energy was cool. He had a ball on stage. Wore an I heart Iowa tshirt. Great night with HTI, Present Tense and Habit. MYM was super fast, almost too much. Would have loved Swallowed Whole, but have Dallas and OKC to hope for that one. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Jeff has left the band...he has grown tired of people
    Pronouncing it AH-ment and not A-ment.

So sad.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 26
    I think Ed's reference to two great drummers in the house was Matt and Brendan Canty of Fugazi.
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    Yeah, Jeff appeared to be over it. He took out his in-ear monitors and put them over by Boom before getting the hell off stage. He seemed just totally over it. Not sure exactly why, but Ed introduced everyone...even his doctor and some girl named Venus and her sister and didn't introduce Jeff. That was lame. I think the rest of the band was surprised & didn't know where Jeff was...don't they normally group up near the drum kit before taking a bow as a band? They definitely didn't do that tonight. It was weird for a show that was so solid throughout.

Overall, I thought it was a great show in a relatively small venue. I'm glad I was there. I got to watch Ian MacKaye sitting by the side of the stage for most of the night...just sitting and nodding along.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    edited October 2013
    Wonderful concert! I went with my favorite concert buddy, my twin, so it was win-win. She last saw them with me at my first concert in 1995, and she was extremely impressed with the audience participation at this one. She loved the show! I did too, of course. I think the venue was a great space.

I was in 106/section c/ #4 and #3. Thank you, Pearl Jam/Ten Club! The seats were awesome!

I could have left after Given to Fly, and I told my twin that we could leave after the first set. I was worried about her getting to work with enough sleep on Monday, but she wanted to wait until after the first encore, and we ended up seeing the whole thing :)

Highlights included:
    Man in yellow shirt, as noted in previous posts
    The song when the band played with the lights. That was fun to watch.
    Once was awesome, I think they played Porch which had a lot of enegy as well.
    My seats.

It was a great time. Three cheers to Baltimore and Pearl Jam!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Center pit 2 off the rail, this was without a doubt my favorite show.