Options

NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM “LIGHTNING BOLT” AVAILABLE OCTOBER 15

Comments

• Options
    groovyfgroovyf Posts: 173
    Rocking out to the download right now... (bet the CD lands on my desk today too). No matter, I'm digging the new sounds.
    :: Caesaria - Israel 1995, Wembley 1996, Manchester 2000, Leeds 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Leeds 2014, London 2018 ::
  • Options
    NoochKF wrote:
    agsilver78 wrote:
    The worst bit about all of this - look back at the press cuttings, or even PJ20, you'll see the band standing tall before Ticketmaster complaining about profiteering in concert arranging worldwide.

Yet here we are, a bunch of dedicated fans, many of whom are paying several times over for a single record and all because the band's own fan club can't get copies to us despite advance payment being made. I don't believe in paying over and over for the same record just to get it early when the fan club claims to be there for us - especially when it charges a fee!!!

I refuse to deal with iTunes - they are killing the art of the record. Millions of us want a physical product, to the point PJ produces vinyl despite that era being long gone for many.

The makeweight? That we get access to a digital download direct from the fan club as well as an eventually-delivered CD.

And yet here I sit, waiting for access from the fan club allegedly set up for us to get more for our favourite band - extracting dues along the way - while iTunes users and Amazon purchasers freely sit and listen to their copies ahead of the pearljam.com mandated "official" release date and time.

Really, really disappointed to be treated like a number for the sake of a few bucks by a band that claims to care. It really shouldn't be this hard, guys.

The record comes out in 3 hours. You can listen to it in 3 hours. How old are you?

NoochKF - I guess actually reading the post was too difficult for you to handle. At the point where I'd posted, it was a full 8 hours til release time in the UK, and I was referring to the length of time it had already been available where I'm based, in the UK>

The record has been available internationally since Friday, in the UK since Saturday. Quite a number of fans rightly feel aggrieved that having paid the 10C premium, we are forced to pay twice for the record to get it on the day the "man in the street" can pick it up (up to three full days ahead of the "pearljam.com" date of 15.10). It's crazy to advance sell a record and then make it available in different territories on different days - and leave premium-paying fan club members to wait.

But I guess trolling folk is fun for you, so good luck with that.
    Reading, England, 1995; SECC, Glasgow, 2000; O2, London, 2009
  • Options
    Guys, it's another cracking record - Yellow Moon the absolute stand-out for me so far, on top of Mind Your Manners (which I spent last night learning to play, while waiting for the countdown to end!).

Really like Let the Records Play, too - Stone's becoming one of the all-time greats at finding a lick that just grooves without really trying. In the same spirit as Moonlander, that track's destined to be one of my favourites too.
    Reading, England, 1995; SECC, Glasgow, 2000; O2, London, 2009
  • Options
    LKPJ1991LKPJ1991 Kent, England Posts: 12
    Another amazing record - nice work boys... loving Mind your manners, Lightening Bolt, infallible,Pendulum, future days so far.. the others are sure to follow suit soon enough. Like many of you, i have waited until today to listen to the new album and i'm not disappointed..!!! Have loved PJ since the beginning and still digging their style :) and changes of direction - guess like the rest of us a band has to evolve and change!! Embrace it!
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me..
  • Options
    Twiggy57Twiggy57 Posts: 136
    agsilver78 wrote:
    Guys, it's another cracking record - Yellow Moon the absolute stand-out for me so far, on top of Mind Your Manners (which I spent last night learning to play, while waiting for the countdown to end!).

Really like Let the Records Play, too - Stone's becoming one of the all-time greats at finding a lick that just grooves without really trying. In the same spirit as Moonlander, that track's destined to be one of my favourites too.

This is the first time I listened on youtube to the other songs then the already released 4 known songs.
    THey are indeed very, very mellow: Yellow Moonlander, Pendulum and Infallible............now I will go and listen to them again now............grow songs......grow on me pleaseeeee
  • Options
    LIGHTNING BOLT was only released today here in Brazil. As many of you, i have waited until today to listen to the new album while a few day ago was released for iTunes users....and yes I was really disappointed as a recent member of the fan club ( although have been a fan since the first time i saw them during Pinkpop 92).
    But i must confess....now the smile is back on my face!!! Really like it!! Great job guys!!
    P.S. I just loved the 4 promo interviews !! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Anyone know if there is a difference between the store version and 10c version of the cd?
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234
    Great album guys, il love it!!!
    After my first listenning, the song that blasted me is "Infaillible", my heart is going to explose with this song!
    Thank you

:corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn:

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• Options
    bruusbruus Posts: 3
    Just bought the digital download of Lightning Bolt.
    Please excuse my French, but HTF can you call 16bit@44.1kHz 'high resolution WAV file'?
    That's just crappy CD quality - NOT Hi-Res :evil:
    Since Ten, Vitalogy and Vs. has been released as 24bit@96kHz (Ten only 24@88), I really had expected (or at least hoped), that this brand new album would be available in this nice format as well - especially since it has a dedication to Uncle Neil!
    If I was a nasty person, I would suspect that you want us to by the album once again when it (shortly, hopefully) is released in real Hi-Res.
    There are words for strategies like that - none of them very nice, I'm afraid :nono:
  • Options
    JossieJossie Posts: 505
    TODAY TODAY TODAY TODAY HURRAY!
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Hmm. Tactical error. Only have an Ipad and bought the 10c version. What can I do to play them?
  • Options
    I would try and upload the mp3s to your Amazon or Google Music accounts, then you can play it from those iOS apps.

Of course you can always sync the tunes onto the iPad using iTunes but I assume that is not possible at the moment.
  • Options
    Damn! Ordered the 10c version. LB is out in Belgium since yesterday. Still haven't got my copy :( . Maybe tomorrow???
    2006 Antwerp Belgium
    2007 Werchter Belgium
    2010 Nijmegen Netherlands,
    2010 Werchter Belgium
    2012 Werchter Belgium
    2014 Amsterdam 1 Netherlands
    2014 Werchter Belgium
  • Options
    VMAVMA Santiago, Chile Posts: 56
    The 10C exclusive content (video) was leaked by a dummy.
    http://youtu.be/OY_0wF5e-1Y
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I would try and upload the mp3s to your Amazon or Google Music accounts, then you can play it from those iOS apps.

Of course you can always sync the tunes onto the iPad using iTunes but I assume that is not possible at the moment.

Thanks. Good idea on the google music. Will try that though I doubt I can upload the file since I can't access it on here. No, my macbook is on the fritz so just have the ipad going at this time. Ugh!
  • Options
    Im missing my last job, hating my actual job, only because the server is crap, downloading 10c version will took 5 hours, arghhhhhhhh.

And thinking about downloading on itunes, but it will cost me 11 bugs more, could i stand 5 hours...

Also i cant download itunes on my work laptop.

PLEASE: HOW CAN I COPY MP3 FROM A LAPTOP TO AN IPHONE??? THKS
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    There's only one form of unconditioned love for me... the one for my own child. Well, LB, together with BS, is just the confirm that I can't love all the songs PJ wrote/composed. I like a lot 3/12 of their last album. The rest is not that interesting for me. Nothing new, no goose bumps, no fun. It's my own taste and opinion, I'm disappointed because I don't think they are really evolving, they used to compose a kind of music which had a universal character that can work perfectly even today, for my ears at least. I have the impression PJ are really stuck in the 90s or even in the 80s with the newest things.
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
  • Options
    agsilver78 wrote:
    The record has been available internationally since Friday, in the UK since Saturday. Quite a number of fans rightly feel aggrieved that having paid the 10C premium, we are forced to pay twice for the record to get it on the day the "man in the street" can pick it up (up to three full days ahead of the "pearljam.com" date of 15.10). It's crazy to advance sell a record and then make it available in different territories on different days - and leave premium-paying fan club members to wait.

But I guess trolling folk is fun for you, so good luck with that.

For some time I have had a gnawing feeling disrupting my joy for the coming album. Today, it all came to light - had I skipped being a 10C member, not wanting to show my support via pre-ordering - I could have gotten the damn album on my way home from work. Now, I waited to finally hear it as intended - one album - my CD player - no iTunes (The love of iTunes isn't that great outside US - by the way) and no early streams to disrupt the joy.

But alas, I did pre-order the album - and I still don't have it.

Fortunately - I can download it due to being such a fan I wanted the extra with download ;) - just too bad that I "have" to. But it is at least a small comfort. IMHO I think that a nice gesture to fans would've been to ship them out earlier for the pre-orders.
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    It's ok. Sometimes you find yourself being told to change your ways
    There's no way
    Mine is mine and yours won't take its place
    Now make your getaway!
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    CC55781CC55781 Posts: 25
    bruus wrote:
    Just bought the digital download of Lightning Bolt.
    Please excuse my French, but HTF can you call 16bit@44.1kHz 'high resolution WAV file'?
    That's just crappy CD quality - NOT Hi-Res :evil:
    Since Ten, Vitalogy and Vs. has been released as 24bit@96kHz (Ten only 24@88), I really had expected (or at least hoped), that this brand new album would be available in this nice format as well - especially since it has a dedication to Uncle Neil!
    If I was a nasty person, I would suspect that you want us to by the album once again when it (shortly, hopefully) is released in real Hi-Res.
    There are words for strategies like that - none of them very nice, I'm afraid :nono:
    I downloaded every version including from the Digital Download and the content included with the vinyl purchase. Nothing is over 16/44.1. I hope this is just an oversight and we actually get a high resolution version (with less dynamic range compression?).
  • Options
    Comparisons are inevitable. We all probably agree that Ten, Vs. and Vitology were ripe with anger, questioning and a had a much harder side overall. The last albums from the band confirm that they continue to grow, both as human beings and musicians. It's like how can I compare my children when they were a toddler to when they're a teenager and then as a young adult? Same person, but different. They've hopefully grown, matured and learned from their mistakes. They can't repeat the same thing or they will be stuck in time and won't reach their full potential.

Pearl Jam is certainly not stuck and Lightning Bolt proves it. The new album has all the musical elements but without so much anger reflecting a bit more understanding and wisdom. The songs all have great structure and there are really several standouts. Shows that the band is continuing to progress and has a wide variety of styles. I hear influences all over it, Ramones (MYM), Beatles (Infallable chorus), The Who/Pete Townsend (LB guitars) Hendrix solo style from Mike (LTRP) and just plain creative Pearl Jam with Ed's ability to make a cool song with a story line. The lyrics all around are true poetry. as with any of the albums over the years LB does have some hits and then some obscure songs that when played live will be excellent.

This is as strong a record as the band possibly could put out with where they are in life. As you listen more to it has a way of growing on you. I can understand why some of the songs might not fully appeal to a core harder audience. But personally, I can't wait to hear the LB songs live, especially Pendulum and Yellow Moon when in Charlotte and New Orleans.

Thanks to the band for putting out music, touring, providing merchandise, keeping a great online presence and being accessible with video and appearances for us the fans. And also for scheduling tv time and being featuring with World Series. This is a monumental total effort in Music and Marketing (not that they need much help to get heard), and deserves to be at #1 on the charts for a very long time. Finally a Rock album that tops all the BS Pop and Rap crap that's seems to be so prevalent these days.

And here's to looking forward to the next album. Sounds like they still have some cool ideas and more great songs that didn't quite make this release. Pearl Jam is a band that truly gets it and continues to grow.

Dave
    Atlanta, Ga
  • Options
    crazybootsiecrazybootsie Posts: 127
    edited October 2013
    I love it, favorite songs for me:

Getaway
    Sirens
    Lightning Bolt
    Infallible
    Pendulum
    Swallowed Whole
    Yellow Moon
    Future Days

In my books, if you can get 8 of 11 you really like that's a very good album.

Also, I've seen the majority of these live and they rock.
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    What are the "digital extras" on the fan club version of Lightning Bolt?
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I like the album a lot. I'd say there are two songs I don't love yet. Lightning Bolt (much better live and Let the Records Play (sounds like forced blues to me on too many levels). I don't hate either, mind you.

Aside from that, I think the album is very good. I find the slower stuff to be their bread-and-butter now. I also find myself enjoying the slower songs as much as the fast stuff. Future Days is an incredible song. Sirens reminds me of a modern Black -- the song is just begging for a long Mike solo at the end (it will come to be in the years ahead).

I just wish they'd record Ed's vocals a bit different. Too often it sounds like he's singing in a padded room. I appreciate the approach, but I don't always love the end result. No Code nailed the approach I like best.

Sadly, this is the first album that features a song used as its title.
  • Options
    Has anybody been able to import ANY of the formats into iTunes??? If so what's your secret? Should I just have bought the album in iTunes in the first place? - I hate iTunes, never works right on the pc.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited October 2013
    SP51453 wrote:
    What are the "digital extras" on the fan club version of Lightning Bolt?
    There is a new MYM video included in the digital download.... pretty weak. I was expecting a new song of some sort.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Scot ConantScot Conant Michigan Posts: 74
    Pre-ordered the "10C" CD weeks ago, expecting it to be here today. You know, the day I could just walk into the store and buy it.

Alas, no. It did not arrive, and I'm pissed off.
    10/16/14 - Detroit * 04/29/16 - TENadelphia * 10/20/16 - Chicago * 10/22/16 - Chicago * 10/18/18 - Chicago * 10/20/18 - Chicago * 09/16/22 - Nashville * 09/17/22 - Louisville * 09/07/23 - Chicago * 09/10/23 - Noblesville (Postponed)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Pre-ordered the "10C" CD weeks ago, expecting it to be here today. You know, the day I could just walk into the store and buy it.

Just go make some pasta and chill out!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

It is pretty ridiculous.... if the "exclusive material" that came with the 10C order was awesome, like a new song or something, then I wouldn't mind.... But now that I realize that the "exclusive material" is simply a Sirens-esque MYM video, I'm kind of pissed that I paid for 10C shipping when I could have both saved my money and had the vinyl today (it's the extra money that bugs me, not so much having to wait for the record - I can listen digitally until then).... The only thing that will make me feel like this is cool is if there are some stickers or something with the vinyl... or it's red... or signed. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I am not thrilled that I don't have it, but no biggie, I downloaded the digital file and burned a CD for the ride home.
    Sure Id love to hold the package, but its cool. I have the music.